Alcorn State University Employee Reviews

The university has potential but needs to focus more on student driven outcomes
Director of Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSAugust 13, 2016
Check emails and make a decision what tasks in the email should be added on the "to do tasks for that day".
Prioritize things to do.
Begin on task number one and continue till the end of day.
Educational and Productive
Laboratory Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alcorn, MSJune 16, 2016
I would actually start my day off the day before by grading papers, reading up on the experiment that my students and I would be performing for the next day. I would then gather all the materials that we needed. While teaching lab I learned that everything doesn't always goes as planned and that you have to be patient.
Productive place to work
Compliance Coordinator/Athletice Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSJune 6, 2016
Great place to work, mentoring from all staff, and great benefits. Great opportunity to grow and learn new things. Management are forward thinkers.
Woeful Management
Media Relation (Former Employee) –  LormanMay 26, 2016
- Unrealstic job assignments
- AD out of touch
- long hours poor pay - lowest paid in the swac
- a one year pit stop
- no professional development
Pros
Student Athletes
Cons
pay, management
Experience
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Alcorn State, MSMay 17, 2016
While working with the chemistry department at Alcorn State University, I learned about chemicals, made connections with the professors, and also assisted the professors during labs. Overall, the experience with ASU Chemistry Department was remarkable.
My review is solely from a graduate assistance stand point.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSMay 1, 2016
I was a graduate assistant to some very nice and caring supervisors. The higher management was not as professional as they should but it expected from people that do not belong in managing positions.
I was a graduate student
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSApril 21, 2016
It was a graduate experience. Long nights, early mornings and even weekends. There is a rigorous work schedule for the research to be completed, otherwise you won't get compensation.
Awesome
HEAD STUDENT ATHLETIC TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSApril 18, 2016
Although my position at Alcorn is as a work study student I've gained a lot of leadership skills. The athletic environment is very warm and welcoming. Each day I work with a variety of student athletes and other student workers. The best part of the day is learning new rehab techniques.
Nice place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSMarch 13, 2016
The best part about working here is being able to meet new people and build a relationship with your consumers. The hardest part about working here is when you get a rush of people both in store and in the drive-thru.
Challenging
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Alcorn, MSMarch 12, 2016
I love working with people. Safety was my only mission , making sure our cargo get to and from there destination safe. Also make them feel safe.
Pros
TRAVELING
Cons
NONE
My occupation requires continuous professional developmemt.
Director of Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSMarch 11, 2016
Challenging and interactive place to work utilizing the knowledge and skills learned over time. Corporate culture runs deep in this organization. The CEO sets the tone at the top which permeates to all levels of the organization.
productive and gainful experience
Dean Scholar (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSFebruary 23, 2016
I learned to work with others in labs, doing lab techniques and as a teacher. I also learned how to properly train undergrad students in the lab.
Taught me a lot
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSFebruary 5, 2016
During my undergrad years this position helped me grow into a man. It taught me the responsibility a man should have. From managing work and class to hanging out with friends and study time. I am truly thankful.
Pros
Cons
Na
Productive Work Enviornment
Graduate Assistant, Alcorn Extension (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSJanuary 28, 2016
We worked really hard but the work we put in was very rewarding.
• Responsible for constructing an enterprise budget system which the farm manager can utilize to determine which provides the best opportunity cost
• Construct additional graphs and charts to illustrate which production practices and input quantities maximize profitability
Rewarding Job
Director of Residence Life (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSDecember 7, 2015
Rewarding job working with students.
Great people really dedicated to students and university
Great leadership and management experience
Motivated , Result Driven and Dedicated
Expanded Food and Nutrition Educator (Current Employee) –  Lorman , MSSeptember 17, 2015
In the world of medicine or health we are train to See one, Do one and Teach one. I make that my daily motto to learn something new , the implement it in my life and then to share it with my community , friends and love ones.

The hardest part about my job or any job/ relationships is the loss of a relationship or friend.

I am my biggest critic and I can sometimes be to hard on myself but I believe that is because I want to give my very best.

I just absolutely enjoy interacting with people and learning new things. To be able to give the gift of giving , is what brings me joy.
Pros
a flexable schedule
Cons
Red tape policy
First Baseman, Men's Baseball Team
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSSeptember 2, 2015
Provides defense and offense during games on a team of 30 players.
Balanced a 40 weekly practice, competition and travel schedule.
Asked to give feedback to coaching staff and new players on how to improve team communication. And 2011 Southwestern Athletic Conference Champions
Productive, diversity and amazing workplace
Secretary/Student Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSAugust 15, 2015
I enjoy my job at Alcorn as a Secretary/Student Advocate. My workload is large, however, I have been able to maintain professionalism, productivity while meeting the needs of our students. Though I don't manage anyone, here are a few things that I have completed: I have created a resource library to use as a reference for most frequently asked questions, generate a data information sheet, maintains the departmental budget and increased enrollment by a significant amount of students than the prior year.

Hence, I have enrolled in additional professional development courses that would enhance my ability to perform my job better. Education is important and it enables me to complete the duties demanded in my current position. I would like to work in my field due to the fact, I am now working on a grant. Therefore, I would like job security.
Pros
Weekends and holidays off
Cons
I would like to advance.
Fun and easy-going
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albert Lott Men's Athletic DormitoryJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of interacting with student-athletes in a educational and residential environment. It involved handling phone calls, assorting and distributing mail, handling civil disputes such as loud noises, disagreements. The most enjoyable part about my job was that I was close to my resident and I got paid to do something I enjoyed doing.
Great place to work and learn
Bursar (Current Employee) –  Lorman MississippiJune 10, 2015
Very influential job... Ensured compliance with established internal control procedures by auditing records, reports, operating practices, and documentation.

Perform responsible administrative work in the day to day management of the Cashier's Office.

Responsible for keeping accurate records of tuition, fees, and other cash receipts as well as the disbursement of scholarships and student loan refunds for the University.
Pros
Able to further my education while working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcorn State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3