Alcorn State University Employee Reviews

serving students and parents. using the computer.
Financial aid counselor (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSJuly 6, 2017
My typical work day consist of serving the students and the general public. I worked in the Admissions and Financial office where I came into contact on a daily basic with students. Majority of my day was spent answering the telephone, using the computer, assisting students, parents and coworkers.
Intern Trainee
Youth Leadership Intern (Former Employee) –  Alcorn State UniversityJune 26, 2017
A typical day's work consisted of learning strategies for interviews; hands on office procedures; arts and crafts; and sitting in on seminars and discussions....all to enhance leadership skills.
Pros
Free meals, indoor and outdoor activities
It was nice
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSJune 26, 2017
I was a tutor. Most students didnt need any help. you could choose your hours i liked working for this company. it was an easy laid back job with people you saw everyday.
Student Worker
Environmental Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSJune 22, 2017
Being a student worker there is awesome. My schedule is based off of my school schedule and I enjoy the work I do there along with my educational adviser and other student co-workers.
Great workplace to be.Loved it.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSJune 5, 2017
The people were fun to work with and they were very professional. We also got the chance to work with kids who were very nice and showed us kindness and respect. On top of that, my boss was the best ever....
Life Learning Experience
Recruiter/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMay 29, 2017
Alcorn State working environment was quite interesting. For the most part everyone was very welcoming. Management was present but I wish they were more involved with the day to day work day. I've learned that in asking questions there are no dumb or stupid questions.
Pros
Life Long Connections
Cons
Unorganized
Rewarding experience
Staff Writer (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSMay 26, 2017
I am currently the staff writer for the University. Interviewing and writing news articles on students, faculty, staff and alumni has been a rewarding experience for me. I feel that working here has enhanced my skills as a journalist.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Quiet, calm, but productive work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSMay 21, 2017
It was a calm environment. I learned how to help students with homework, helped them learn how to study, and helped them improve grades in certain areas. There was not a hard part to the job, but the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the student got the help needed to be successful in a course.
Each day was different and unique.
Freedom School Mentor (Former Employee) –  100 ASU Drive Port Gibson MSMay 16, 2017
I really enjoyed working here because my job was basically connected in with my major. The environment was awesome!!!! The people were great to be around, everything was excellent.
Pros
The actual job.
Cons
Having to leave.
Review
Admissions Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSMay 6, 2017
Alcorn has such a family atmosphere where anyone will enjoy working with co-workers as well as students. The hardest part of working here is that the university is located in a rural area.

Want to know more about Alcorn State University?

Ask a question
Good place to work at for college students
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSMay 1, 2017
Cutting grass and planting flowers.
I learned how to operate a weed-eater.
Manage my time to get my work done in a timely manner.
Mixed culture.
N/A.
Being around positive workers with positive vibes.
Pros
Working around positive people
Cons
N/a
Good Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  1000 ASU DriveApril 20, 2017
Great place to work and build working relationships. The atmosphere is conducive and interacting with students is a wonderful experience. There are opportunities provided for growth via enrollment in certain programs.
Most enjoyable part of my job
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSMarch 31, 2017
I loved meeting new people and seeing a smile on their faces after they leave my offices. Seeing prospective students so excited about enrolling into college is so exciting!
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
may have to do after hours
Great place to work!
Financial Aid Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSMarch 22, 2017
Alcorn is a great place to work. It is a fast pace environment and it is always a blast being able to connect with the student body. Patience is a the key to this job.
Efficient and Productive
Graduate Assistant, Residence Life (Current Employee) –  Natchez, MSFebruary 21, 2017
I learned a lot and gained practical experience. It was one of the best jobs I have ever done with amazing supervisors and coworkers. I gained hands on experience and learned how to manage day to day complains and how to provide solutions to everyone's problems.
Great Experience
Assistant Professor of Psychology (Current Employee) –  Lorman, MSFebruary 8, 2017
Great Experience Working with some great staff and students. I had the challenge of growing a program and it was an honor to see both the department and the program grow.
Worked as a Graduate Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Natchez, MSJanuary 30, 2017
Cannot say as worked as a Graduate Assistant at the university Mostly helped professors do research work. Gained a lot of knowledge.
Student worker is a cool calling
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Natchez, MSJanuary 14, 2017
As a student worker in Alcorn State University, I had privilege to be acquainted with the professors wherein I had the liberty to ask questions pertaining to my academics. In addition to this, most of my duties are similar to a receptionist, wherein the student has to greet the guests and assist them with necessary information of the institution or the professor availability. Apart from that, the student also acts as Alcorn representative, representing the School of Business and its functionality within the institution. Hence, the student should be aware of the courses available and give necessary information.

As a student worker, you get ample of time to do literature reviews for the professor you are assigned under and also do your homework. Since, the traffic in the Natchez is very less. This leisure time is advantage to the student worker, if used wisely.
Pros
Get to meet and greet people, talks with professors
Cons
Natchez campus - long distance; ample of free time.
loved it
Media Consultant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSDecember 28, 2016
I enjoyed working while enrolled at the institution. My experience was one of a kind. I was pushed to want more while earning a stipend. I was able to balance my life, work, and education as well as able to gain experience of the working world in meeting deadlines for the projects given to me.
Pros
free lunches
Productive Work Place
Assistant Secretary of the library (Former Employee) –  Lorman, MSDecember 15, 2016
Answered telephones, directed calls, and took messages
Reviewed files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests
Maintained and updated filing, inventory, mailing, and database systems, either manually or using a computer
Delivered messages and ran errands