ALDI Foods Employee Reviews

Read my review
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee), Council Bluffs, IAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Management
This is not for anyone, there is a lot of hard manual labor. Constantly under staffed and management wants it that way, too much bickering between co-workers and barely any family life after work.
always busy
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Erie, PAJune 18, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: working late hours
the customers were so nice, the people that worked there were helpful, the managers really helped when I was in training for the shift supervisor position.
Aldi was a great place to work and really cares about their workers and their families
Store Manager (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 11, 2015
While working at Aldi I learned how to schedule employees and organize and carry out monthly budgets. Aldi is a very busy place to work which helped the days to go by quickly. THe directors and head office personal were very friendly towards me and never mind to stop and see how my family and I were doing. I enjoyed very much what I learned and the employees and worked with while being employed by Aldi.
Very demanding company
Store Manager (Former Employee), IllinoisMay 18, 2015
Pros: Payrate, Healthcare plan
Cons: Long hours, small staff, no corporate leadership
Be ready to sign your life away. As a store manager I was salaried at 50 hrs/week, but regularly worked 70+ hours. You have almost no control of the hiring and firing process. You simply make recommendations.
The district managers have no real idea of what happens on a day to day basis, they will just come in and point out what is wrong with your store. This would be an acceptable act if they provided the hours or tools to help you turn your store into a success, which they absolutely do not.
Very small staff, you have to do every single job yourself. Running productivity numbers of $500/sales hr is very tiresome when you inherit a staff of underperformers. You will request for the DM to do hiring and firing, but mostly they will not. I was set up to fail from day one and kept working for over a year and a half by doing 90% of the work myself. This provided absolutely no time to be with friends or family.
I was paid very handsomely but that doesn't account for all the life experiences I missed at home. I would never choose to work for Aldi again.
Keeps you on your toes always something to do.
Supervisor II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2015
Pros: pay and Benefits
Cons: unfair reviews
From 6 am your moving and down sizing pallets,stocking,cooler and freezer rotation along with customer service .Loved the job and opportunities .
Great Company to work for
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 20, 2015
Great pay, great opportunity for advancement. Great chance to develop leadership skills. Very physical environment
Great part time job
Shift Manager (Former Employee), West Seneca, NYFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good pay, good benefits, good team atmosphere
Cons: pace may be too fast for some people, strange 30 hrs= full time rule (may have changed since i was there)
Aldi doesn't suffer from alot of the major issues that other retailers do: staff is very reliable, hard working, and easy to get along with. Job duties are very straight forward and easy to grasp. The only caveat I came across in my 4 years of working there is that they considered (at that time) 30 hrs per week a full-time schedule. This is great because you are still eligible for full-time benefits, but if your store's not busy you're kinda limited on hrs, because they can schedule you as little as 30 hrs. But other than that, it was an overall good place to work. Only store managers are salaried, but when I worked there they were still getting 2 days off each week, which is nice and uncommon at other places I've worked at where I was salaried.
na
Store General Manager (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDDecember 1, 2014
Aldi pays well for the work you do. It is a very highly physical job, and can be challenging for many people.
Fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee), Waterford, MINovember 17, 2014
Enhanced customer service skills by interacting with customers while working the cash register
Stocked merchandise to ensure the store looked attractive
Put new shelving on the floor and set up merchandise
Heavy work load every day but self rewarding
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bricktown, NJOctober 7, 2014
Aldi is a fast growing company with high standards. Management is stern but informative. The learning experience working with this company is very beneficial for advancement with any business. A close relationship with co-workers and customers will naturally develop. A lot of merchandising every week but gives a rewarding result.
Always busy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Erie, PASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: busy busy busy always something to do
Cons: not enough hours in the day
Stock< ordering, banking, stocking, cleaning and cashier. how to be a good leader. the management team was the best I ever worked with. Lifting some of the products to put on the shelves. it was one of the best teams I ever worked with.
Fast paced environment- great for multi-taskers
District Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse NYAugust 14, 2014
It is a great place to work for the right individual. You learn a lot of different aspects of business.
Where it all started
Store Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2014
where my journey in retail began, learn the ins and outs of corporate america....
Exciting fast paced work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great benifits, decent pay
Cons: short breaks, limited chance for advancement
This company is good for maximizing (or at least attempting to) the performance of workers. Possibility to work with a great staff depending on which store you work at. Aldi offers a great benefits package, but there is a ceiling for how high you are able to advance within the company.
Keeping the community feed properly
Shift Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 2, 2014
Pros: having access to make your own pizza, pleasing customers with a great pizza, learning how to become a better manager
Cons: pay was not as much due to in being more of a mom and pop resturant, and unreliable employees
Making sure we have all proper produce cut, dough made, and money available for customers to purchase their food. At this position I had to educate myself to become a better all around manager to help other employees achieve their greatest potential.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 14, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: no advancement after store manager
Aldi is an easy store to mange if you have a plan. A lot of employees and former employees complain about the company because they think its to much work. That's why they pay the best. Aldi pays well because they expect you to work hard. Not be lazy so if you are looking into a career with Aldi and you don't like working for your paycheck look else where.
If you are smart stay away from ALDI -
Shift Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALApril 12, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
They may pay more than other places, but the workload is triple, and there is no feeling of being part of a team. They lead by fear and intimidation. The system is based on paranoid control. We are terrified we will lose our jobs at any given moment. The pay is higher, but the quality of life is non existent. They change your schedule mid week without notifying, or even asking you. And if you didn't know about the change ... its your problem. I hate to say this next line, but I felt like this is a work camp. The DMs are the worst part about the company. They are fresh out of college and undergo this drill to use fear mean tricks to sort out targeted individuals. They use rumor spreading, fear and intimidation to make you submissive! Their way to lead people is pathetic and inhumane. The sad part, they don't realize this doesn't work!! within the last 6 months about 10 people quit or were forced to quit. I know it sounds crazy and even stupid to compare a job to a ruthless dictator, but the mentality of the District Managers is like the mentality of a paranoid dictator.
Aldi is a good company to work for, also they take care of their employees, in most matters. But not very family oriented.
Management (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 8, 2014
A very good company to work for, they also take good care of employees, in most matters. But not very family oriented.
Fast paced , always changing work environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee), OhioFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: stable growing company, great benefits and pay.
Cons: sometimes 70 to 80 hours work week.
A typical day is a 11 to 14 hour shift, you are always busy. You must be able to muti-task , be very self motivated and organized. Learned to write budgets, schedules, all ordering and inventory procedures. Managed and trained all employees for my store and supported other stores with their training. Most difficult aspect was keeping store fully staffed, many would not make it through the training. Great work environment always moving, always busy.
always productive and efficient
Store Manager (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 21, 2014
strived to be as efficient as possible, compensation is nice but workload sometimes overbearing decent chance for advancement up to the store management level no job security