ALDI Foods

ALDI Foods Employer Reviews

Great part time job
Shift Manager (Former Employee), West Seneca, NYFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good pay, good benefits, good team atmosphere
Cons: pace may be too fast for some people, strange 30 hrs= full time rule (may have changed since i was there)
Aldi doesn't suffer from alot of the major issues that other retailers do: staff is very reliable, hard working, and easy to get along with. Job duties are very straight forward and easy to grasp. The only caveat I came across in my 4 years of working there is that they considered (at that time) 30 hrs per week a full-time schedule. This is great because you are still eligible for full-time benefits, but if your store's not busy you're kinda limited on hrs, because they can schedule you as little as 30 hrs. But other than that, it was an overall good place to work. Only store managers are salaried, but when I worked there they were still getting 2 days off each week, which is nice and uncommon at other places I've worked at where I was salaried.
na
Store General Manager (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDDecember 1, 2014
Aldi pays well for the work you do. It is a very highly physical job, and can be challenging for many people.
Fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee), Waterford, MINovember 17, 2014
Enhanced customer service skills by interacting with customers while working the cash register
Stocked merchandise to ensure the store looked attractive
Put new shelving on the floor and set up merchandise
Heavy work load every day but self rewarding
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bricktown, NJOctober 7, 2014
Aldi is a fast growing company with high standards. Management is stern but informative. The learning experience working with this company is very beneficial for advancement with any business. A close relationship with co-workers and customers will naturally develop. A lot of merchandising every week but gives a rewarding result.
Always busy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Erie, PASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: busy busy busy always something to do
Cons: not enough hours in the day
Stock< ordering, banking, stocking, cleaning and cashier. how to be a good leader. the management team was the best I ever worked with. Lifting some of the products to put on the shelves. it was one of the best teams I ever worked with.
great environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 1, 2014
Left for a higher better paying position. Really a great environment
Where it all started
Store Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2014
where my journey in retail began, learn the ins and outs of corporate america....
Exciting fast paced work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great benifits, decent pay
Cons: short breaks, limited chance for advancement
This company is good for maximizing (or at least attempting to) the performance of workers. Possibility to work with a great staff depending on which store you work at. Aldi offers a great benefits package, but there is a ceiling for how high you are able to advance within the company.
Keeping the community feed properly
Shift Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 2, 2014
Pros: having access to make your own pizza, pleasing customers with a great pizza, learning how to become a better manager
Cons: pay was not as much due to in being more of a mom and pop resturant, and unreliable employees
Making sure we have all proper produce cut, dough made, and money available for customers to purchase their food. At this position I had to educate myself to become a better all around manager to help other employees achieve their greatest potential.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 14, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: no advancement after store manager
Aldi is an easy store to mange if you have a plan. A lot of employees and former employees complain about the company because they think its to much work. That's why they pay the best. Aldi pays well because they expect you to work hard. Not be lazy so if you are looking into a career with Aldi and you don't like working for your paycheck look else where.
If you are smart stay away from ALDI -
Shift Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALApril 12, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
They may pay more than other places, but the workload is triple, and there is no feeling of being part of a team. They lead by fear and intimidation. The system is based on paranoid control. We are terrified we will lose our jobs at any given moment. The pay is higher, but the quality of life is non existent. They change your schedule mid week without notifying, or even asking you. And if you didn't know about the change ... its your problem. I hate to say this next line, but I felt like this is a work camp. The DMs are the worst part about the company. They are fresh out of college and undergo this drill to use fear mean tricks to sort out targeted individuals. They use rumor spreading, fear and intimidation to make you submissive! Their way to lead people is pathetic and inhumane. The sad part, they don't realize this doesn't work!! within the last 6 months about 10 people quit or were forced to quit. I know it sounds crazy and even stupid to compare a job to a ruthless dictator, but the mentality of the District Managers is like the mentality of a paranoid dictator.
Aldi is a good company to work for, also they take care of their employees, in most matters. But not very family oriented.
Management (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 8, 2014
A very good company to work for, they also take good care of employees, in most matters. But not very family oriented.
Fast paced , always changing work environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee), OhioFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: stable growing company, great benefits and pay.
Cons: sometimes 70 to 80 hours work week.
A typical day is a 11 to 14 hour shift, you are always busy. You must be able to muti-task , be very self motivated and organized. Learned to write budgets, schedules, all ordering and inventory procedures. Managed and trained all employees for my store and supported other stores with their training. Most difficult aspect was keeping store fully staffed, many would not make it through the training. Great work environment always moving, always busy.
always productive and efficient
Store Manager (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 21, 2014
strived to be as efficient as possible, compensation is nice but workload sometimes overbearing decent chance for advancement up to the store management level no job security
Wonderful
Shift Manager, Cashier (Former Employee), Findlay, OHJanuary 20, 2014
Cons: at work a lot
Loved working for Aldi ... Great place but hard work. Loved working wit ht he customers....
Expectations Unclear
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 13, 2014
Daily expectations changed. As a shift manager your daily breaks were unpredictable.
Very fast pace and high productivity
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 3, 2013
Pros: pay and hours of operation
Cons: work by yourself a lot with minimum help.
It's a good place to work and gain experience. Management is well but varies store to store based on sales and the workers. They are all about sales per man hour and how much one person and achieve per an hour. It's not your typical slow pace cashier job or shift manager job. You will be pushed and pushed. If you like getting your day started and over with in the blink of an eye it's a great place to work.
Profitable and rewarding place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Decatur, GAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: meeting new people everyday.
Cons: basically on call 24/7.
Rewarding and productive company that teaches you self motivation ,time management with great supervision and team players that come together and support each one with team efforts not selfness at all. Sometimes working 10hours 7 days a week when needed. Making the work place an enjoyable place to be, most of all keeping the customers happy.
the pay and benefits were good, the company and I don't think the along the same lines
Cashier (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJOctober 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits, good pay
Cons: listed below in my review
We parted as friends, but we parted. I believe that when you don't have anything good to say it's better not to say anything.
Employees are well compensated
Manager (Former Employee), tully divOctober 16, 2013
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: extremely demanding, staffing issues, and poor communication
As far as a retail job goes, Aldi isn't too bad. The operational hours are good, and you have all major holidays off. If you arent afraid of hard, sometimes sweaty ( or super cold) physical labor then you may make it there.
One of the unique things about Aldi is the fact that you will do EVERYTHING. Every person employed in the store will work together to do all aspects. So for the person that thinks its an easy job sittting on register and ringing all day, you are wrong. Usually starting at six in the morning with stocking, going in the freezer for an hour or two, or scrubbing toilets and floors its all a team effort.
I would havve to say that the hardest part of the job was the everchanging policies and people at the upper management level. Often times you would have a district manager come in that just got out of college, and has no idea what so ever of the reality of retail.
The best part of the job was of course the pay. They know that you will stay once you make it through what I would call the "break in" period. But its not all about the benifits, you customers will put a smile on your face, and if you have a good team your co-workers will make it a fun place to be too. Becoming your family away from family.

About ALDI Foods

ALDI keeps it cheap so shoppers can, too. How has discount food retailer ALDI Group become one of the world's biggest grocery – Read more