Alere

Alere Employer Reviews

Best Medical Company
Technician II (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 10, 2014
Alere was one the best medical company i have ever worked for.
High standards, ethical
Clinical Assessment Nurse (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 4, 2014
Pros: cared about employees; employee was not just a number.
Cons: sitting for long periods
A great Company to work for; caring Supervisor; excellent co-workers. Hardest part of job was sitting for long periods. Management gave recognition for job well done.Thought I wanted to retire but found out I didn't.
a black hole for communication
it (Former Employee), charlottesvilleMarch 27, 2014
Pros: leaving
Cons: pick one...
Terrible inhuman place. Be in the click or move on. Too much politics and back stabbing. Management is phony and inept. All mouth and no action.
Work from home
Registration/Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 20, 2014
The best part of the position is I get to help people from the comfort of my own home.
Stay away from this place!
Current employee (Current Employee), LondonMarch 17, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything!
This company are very tight penny pinchers. Lab staff are poorly paid here, equipment is very old and the IT is a joke!! Systems keep freezing/crashing and nothing ever seems to get done. Since the company was taken over by Alere it became more stressful, the workload increases with the same number of people and limited resources.
Backstabbing is rife – more... here, nobody can be trusted. Office politics and complaining are often commonplace as well. There is also a sense of snobbery in terms of culture where some think they are better than others. Communication is terrible. IT sometimes make changes without informing colleagues and cause chaos!
Working here has destroyed me and everyday I am praying to find another job. – less
Flexible, fun, family oriented work atmosphere
UM Care Support and Welcome Team Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 17, 2014
My start with Alere was as a temp. I was hired permanently in July of 2007 after which, my professional growth took off. The opportunities, as well as challenges, afforded me a wealth of information. My role as a utilization review nurse was coupled with learning case management, URAC, and eventually NCQA guidelines.
Being a wellness company, the philosophy – more... of prevention vs cure, also went for those doing the work. From smoking cessation to weight loss, we were given to opportunity to access coaching and strive towards healthy lives and living.

It is a great company to work for and grow with. – less
Alere
Senior Site Manager (Former Employee), South Plainfield, NJFebruary 25, 2014
Our company was purchased by Alere. The operations were moved from New Jersey
Production line
Medical Device Assembler (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: stability
Cons: no cons
Hard work pays off. I whish I would have stayed in this position longer.
The worst place I have ever worked. Don't waste your time.
Management (Current Employee), Alere USFebruary 16, 2014
Cons: healthcare is tiered pricing depending on a blood test you have to take every year!
A typical day is that you are given no decsion making power and management can't make up their mind so your direction changes hourly. Management does not communicate so there are constant rumors you have to wade through each week. You are in constant worry your division is going to be sold, they reorg every 3-6 months so that no one is in a position – more... long enough to truly be evaluated. The weakest links never get taken care of and you have to chase everyone down in a weak attempt to get anything done. No one is motivated to work because the company is on a downward spiral financially and it is demotivating to watch the Comapny bleed out every month. There is no team spirit and everyone is miserable. Please don't waste your time. The job market is picking up you don't need a job this badly. – less
Enjoyed my job loved helping to bring healthy babies in the world.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: gym in the building and lunch provided at times. pot luck for special occassions.
Cons: i got laid off from the company due to my department being outsourced.
Once we arrived we were briefed on our down loads to the day and able to get coffee and breakfast and work on fulfilling our packets of information we supplied to our participants. That I had a very important job of assisting our clients which were insurance companies control health care cost, by providing a wellness program. Some were nice some were – more... not. Executives were accessible when we needed to talk to them. – less
A Sinking Ship
Trainer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Cons: unethical management, poor business practices, offshoring to the phillipines
I am always skeptical of bad reviews as I assumed they were provided by bad employees who were fired or were disgruntled. I can tell you that the bad reviews regarding Alere are true. As a former employee I can attest to the validity.

Management, middle and executive level does not take accountability for their actions and is not held accountable. – more... I have heard managers speaking ill of there employees in the hall for everyone to hear, managers stating they get their employees to do something by stating the CEO said to do it, and the HR Director speak about the reason for an employee being out on FMLA during an unrelated meeting I attended.

Many line employees are afraid to speak to people in other departments for fear of being admonished. The culture is very hierarchical and managers will not answer emails from employees below their pay grade. There is very much a do as I say, not as I do attitude and unless you are a yes person you are unpopular and out of favor.

This is the worst place that I have worked and I am very happy to be an ex-employee. – less
Assist customers with enrolling them into Healthy Outcomes Living Programs if eligible.
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: helping people
150 to 200 calls per day. I learned more about Medical Deseases.
Management is nice and give you the good things and the opportunities. The most enjoyable part of working their is helping people that want and need the Healthy Living Programs as well and the help from RN's and CNA in person or over the phone 24/7.
Fun workplace
Temp Kavaliro (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 7, 2014
It is medical device company, a very nice place, I wish it was permanent position.
Good old boys club. Don't complain because they make your life worse and do nothing about the situation, this includes management.
A/R Follow-up Representative (Former Employee), Livermore, CADecember 27, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
To Whom This May Concern,

Per our conversation that we had last week on Tuesday where you stated that if I am unhappy about the way that Alere does things than I can just leave. And that I can forget about getting the day after Christmas off for Kwanzaa. It seems as though Ledgent and Alere want to replace me. Being denied a religious/cultural holiday – more... off is against the law.

At the meeting that we all had together on Tuesday, November 26, 2013, the HR Director at Alere asked me to stay with Alere and work with the company through the transition to March 1, 2013. The Revenue Cycle Director also stated, “I will not fire you. You will fire yourself.”

I work very hard and do not take my breaks as I am anxious about leaving my desk or anything that I do. I get accounts paid, that if you work in the medical field, you know that is a huge accomplishment to have those companies pay claims. I can’t sleep at night and barely eat anymore because of the stress. My doctor noted by heart beat at 100BPM. He asked me why my heart was racing and I told him about work, being micromanaged and worried about getting days off of work. At the lunch last week on Wednesday, while talking with other team members, they were astonished by what I have to do stating that they do not get that type of treatment. As I am being honed in on it proves my previous concern that I voiced to you about being harassed. Being singled out, having things only apply to you and not everyone else is harassment.

It seems as though anything anyone says I cannot trust as they appear to renege on their word. All of a sudden since December 6, 2013 The Director and my direct supervisor are no longer talking to me and making it difficult to do my work. This has also created a hostile work environment.

Let it be known that I have never been treated in this manner where I am reduced to feel like a child. My enthusiasm to come to work as wan as I feel I cannot not trust the word of my managers or my agency to be people of their word.

With all of this being said, this situation if affecting my health and my sleep. I should not have to work this way or be nervous, stressed and anxious on whether or not I will still have a job or get the day after Christmas off. I will be filing for compensation for the loss of pay I will experience as I was told in September 2013 that this is a long-term temp to permanent position. And even later being offered employment by the HR director until March 1, 2013. – less
If you are offered a job, take it. It will be okay
Intake/ Pre-Certification Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 3, 2013
The culture is somewhat "uptight". You get a sense of "you better not or else". Just be your professional self, do what you have to do, smile. System for training needs improvement. For the most part it is relatively pleasant to work there.
Productive and fun place
Sr. QA Tester (Current Employee), AtlantaNovember 18, 2013
Hands on Software Testing
Test Lead activities
Great Management
It a ok place to work.
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 27, 2013
Cons: not enough people for the amount of work.
Good place to work,
Great people working there,
The hardest part of the job is getting time off.
Technology means well and fails too much...management horrible
Sales (Former Employee), FloridaOctober 25, 2013
Pros: good technology premises
Cons: poor technology execution / terrible management / cover up for deficient managers
Company has high and mighty vision of itself but can not work the simplest problems in a timely manner...managers in outside and inside sales have no clue about critical factors in reimbursement from market to market and the basics of reimbursement...average sales people and insurance dept are even worse at this...they live in the la la land of ever – more... shrinking traditional Medicare and do not understand the dynamics that are sweeping healthcare as well as the nation's largest markets with tightly managed risk plans that require partnership and real work with insurers to archive successful market share growth. Only one Key Account Manager for insurance that is based out of California and knows very little about other key markets in the East. Region Sales Manager for me had a deeply flawed personality and engaged in insults and inappropriate bullying behavior more that one time and enough to have to unequivocally point it out to him. HR is only a CYA outfit to protect the culprits and oust the innocent. I believe they all but lie to your face as to actions they supposedly take and their concern for you. In the end they roll the carpet out for you to leave without real investigation and consequences for those participating in outrageous behavior as managers. – less
Productive and relaxing workplace.
MDR Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaOctober 18, 2013
Each day at work was an amazing day. Learning about the companies products and discovering how each case is different. The best co-workers who were willing to help new employees learn and answer questions. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a wonderful manager who did not micro manage. The manager trusted her department to know what needed – more... to be done and to be responsible enough to do it. – less
Alere is a progressive company which is what I look for in a company.
Care Support Supervisor, Health Improvement (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 16, 2013
Pros: extremely busy yet friendly enviroment
Cons: multiple daily system issues
A typical day at work begins with reading email for updates adn checking for addition reguests from my manager that may need to be added to my day. I send any updates out to the staff as needed. I make out the nurses assignments after assessing where they are with team their own worklists. I will check for meetings I have and attend as requested. I – more... usually begin to work on special projects inbetween completing and updating time cards/schedules for 17-22 nurses in the morning. My staff and I work remotely so most of my time is spent in front of the computer on OC/phone or email to communicate and help trouble shoot issues. I listen to calls for each nurse for quality. I review reports or pull reports to assess productivity or any issues being identified. Once a month I hold team meetings and 1:1's with each nurse. These 1:1's consist of coaching/teaching/mentoring the nurses not only individually but as a team. The mentoring and leading is the most enjoyable part of my job. – less

About Alere

When you really need an answer -- fast -- toss out the crystal ball and bring in Alere. The company offers both professional and – Read more