Alere

Alere Employer Reviews

A Sinking Ship
Trainer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Cons: unethical management, poor business practices, offshoring to the phillipines
I am always skeptical of bad reviews as I assumed they were provided by bad employees who were fired or were disgruntled. I can tell you that the bad reviews regarding Alere are true. As a former employee I can attest to the validity.

Management, middle and executive level does not take accountability for their actions and is not held accountable. – more... I have heard managers speaking ill of there employees in the hall for everyone to hear, managers stating they get their employees to do something by stating the CEO said to do it, and the HR Director speak about the reason for an employee being out on FMLA during an unrelated meeting I attended.

Many line employees are afraid to speak to people in other departments for fear of being admonished. The culture is very hierarchical and managers will not answer emails from employees below their pay grade. There is very much a do as I say, not as I do attitude and unless you are a yes person you are unpopular and out of favor.

This is the worst place that I have worked and I am very happy to be an ex-employee. – less
Assist customers with enrolling them into Healthy Outcomes Living Programs if eligible.
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: helping people
150 to 200 calls per day. I learned more about Medical Deseases.
Management is nice and give you the good things and the opportunities. The most enjoyable part of working their is helping people that want and need the Healthy Living Programs as well and the help from RN's and CNA in person or over the phone 24/7.
Fun workplace
Temp Kavaliro (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 7, 2014
It is medical device company, a very nice place, I wish it was permanent position.
Good old boys club. Don't complain because they make your life worse and do nothing about the situation, this includes management.
A/R Follow-up Representative (Former Employee), Livermore, CADecember 27, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
To Whom This May Concern,

Per our conversation that we had last week on Tuesday where you stated that if I am unhappy about the way that Alere does things than I can just leave. And that I can forget about getting the day after Christmas off for Kwanzaa. It seems as though Ledgent and Alere want to replace me. Being denied a religious/cultural holiday – more... off is against the law.

At the meeting that we all had together on Tuesday, November 26, 2013, the HR Director at Alere asked me to stay with Alere and work with the company through the transition to March 1, 2013. The Revenue Cycle Director also stated, “I will not fire you. You will fire yourself.”

I work very hard and do not take my breaks as I am anxious about leaving my desk or anything that I do. I get accounts paid, that if you work in the medical field, you know that is a huge accomplishment to have those companies pay claims. I can’t sleep at night and barely eat anymore because of the stress. My doctor noted by heart beat at 100BPM. He asked me why my heart was racing and I told him about work, being micromanaged and worried about getting days off of work. At the lunch last week on Wednesday, while talking with other team members, they were astonished by what I have to do stating that they do not get that type of treatment. As I am being honed in on it proves my previous concern that I voiced to you about being harassed. Being singled out, having things only apply to you and not everyone else is harassment.

It seems as though anything anyone says I cannot trust as they appear to renege on their word. All of a sudden since December 6, 2013 The Director and my direct supervisor are no longer talking to me and making it difficult to do my work. This has also created a hostile work environment.

Let it be known that I have never been treated in this manner where I am reduced to feel like a child. My enthusiasm to come to work as wan as I feel I cannot not trust the word of my managers or my agency to be people of their word.

With all of this being said, this situation if affecting my health and my sleep. I should not have to work this way or be nervous, stressed and anxious on whether or not I will still have a job or get the day after Christmas off. I will be filing for compensation for the loss of pay I will experience as I was told in September 2013 that this is a long-term temp to permanent position. And even later being offered employment by the HR director until March 1, 2013. – less
If you are offered a job, take it. It will be okay
Intake/ Pre-Certification Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 3, 2013
The culture is somewhat "uptight". You get a sense of "you better not or else". Just be your professional self, do what you have to do, smile. System for training needs improvement. For the most part it is relatively pleasant to work there.
Productive and fun place
Sr. QA Tester (Current Employee), AtlantaNovember 18, 2013
Hands on Software Testing
Test Lead activities
Great Management
It a ok place to work.
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 27, 2013
Cons: not enough people for the amount of work.
Good place to work,
Great people working there,
The hardest part of the job is getting time off.
Technology means well and fails too much...management horrible
Sales (Former Employee), FloridaOctober 25, 2013
Pros: good technology premises
Cons: poor technology execution / terrible management / cover up for deficient managers
Company has high and mighty vision of itself but can not work the simplest problems in a timely manner...managers in outside and inside sales have no clue about critical factors in reimbursement from market to market and the basics of reimbursement...average sales people and insurance dept are even worse at this...they live in the la la land of ever – more... shrinking traditional Medicare and do not understand the dynamics that are sweeping healthcare as well as the nation's largest markets with tightly managed risk plans that require partnership and real work with insurers to archive successful market share growth. Only one Key Account Manager for insurance that is based out of California and knows very little about other key markets in the East. Region Sales Manager for me had a deeply flawed personality and engaged in insults and inappropriate bullying behavior more that one time and enough to have to unequivocally point it out to him. HR is only a CYA outfit to protect the culprits and oust the innocent. I believe they all but lie to your face as to actions they supposedly take and their concern for you. In the end they roll the carpet out for you to leave without real investigation and consequences for those participating in outrageous behavior as managers. – less
Productive and relaxing workplace.
MDR Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaOctober 18, 2013
Each day at work was an amazing day. Learning about the companies products and discovering how each case is different. The best co-workers who were willing to help new employees learn and answer questions. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a wonderful manager who did not micro manage. The manager trusted her department to know what needed – more... to be done and to be responsible enough to do it. – less
Alere is a progressive company which is what I look for in a company.
Care Support Supervisor, Health Improvement (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 16, 2013
Pros: extremely busy yet friendly enviroment
Cons: multiple daily system issues
A typical day at work begins with reading email for updates adn checking for addition reguests from my manager that may need to be added to my day. I send any updates out to the staff as needed. I make out the nurses assignments after assessing where they are with team their own worklists. I will check for meetings I have and attend as requested. I – more... usually begin to work on special projects inbetween completing and updating time cards/schedules for 17-22 nurses in the morning. My staff and I work remotely so most of my time is spent in front of the computer on OC/phone or email to communicate and help trouble shoot issues. I listen to calls for each nurse for quality. I review reports or pull reports to assess productivity or any issues being identified. Once a month I hold team meetings and 1:1's with each nurse. These 1:1's consist of coaching/teaching/mentoring the nurses not only individually but as a team. The mentoring and leading is the most enjoyable part of my job. – less
If You Aren't "In", You're "Out"
Temp (Former Employee), San DiegoOctober 9, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, plenty of work
Cons: fraternal culture
In some departments, senior management is directly related to reports, or has important non-work relationships. The conflict of interest is revealed in very poor operations, and also results in exclusion of "outsiders".
DO NOT WORK HERE!
RMA and Orders Processing Representative (Former Employee), Livermore, CaSeptember 11, 2013
Cons: everything
This was the worst job I've ever had. They do not to train you but yet they will try and hold you accountable to what they do NOT tell you or train you on. I had a total of 5 supervisors in 2 years. The last was the absolute worst. Never spoke to me and even said a "hello" as management does see you as a human. You are a "working machine" and if you – more... do not work fast enough-they do not want you. There is so much favoritism here (unlike I have ever seen before). The coldest culture to work in and if you are not a friend of a manager or one of the favored ones, you are set up to fail. The upper management does not have a clue what they are doing and not care about their employees what so ever. You are treated like a child, not allowed to speak to the person sitting next to you and you will be timed if you are in the bathroom for too long accused of taking a longer lunch. Nothing you do will satisfy management even if you finish all your work at the end of the day. I couldn't ever pay all my bills here cause the work you do does not equal the pay. We were promised a raise 2-3 times but they lie to their employees and have not plans on giving anyone a raise. I got sick literally from working here. I was belittled by Team leads who are sell-outs who do not have your back!) and made to feel like I was totally worthless. They also charge outrageous amounts of money for supplies to very elderly people and its soooooo sad. – less
Independence and flexiability were great perks. Needed to be a self starter with good time management skills and able to multi-task.
Case/Care Manager and UM Reviewer (Former Employee), Field WorkerSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: office was in your home. all communications with managers were telephonic or via computer
Cons: days could get hectic. sometimes expectations from the health plans may have been unreasonable.
A lot of travel was involved in at this company. As a case manager there would be many hospitals in a large territory that needed to be covered. One's ability to read and interpret care plans as well as predict possible outcomes. Aided in the delivery of safe and cost effective care. At times would be difficult to speak with doctors and encourage them – more... to modify or enhance plans of care to ensure the timely and safe discharge of patients home. – less
Even thru multiple acquisitions the team remained focused
Director of MarCom & Participant Marketing (Former Employee), Marietta, GAAugust 19, 2013
Pros: great healthcare & vacation package
Cons: location of office
Being the lead for developing a distribution center to develop, distribute and store marketing collateral for a $300+ million dollar company took the majority of my time. Worked on the re-branding initiative from Matria to Alere for the participant materials.Developed and managed Matria/Alere Product Training Webinars for participants within the programs. – more... Media coverage of 10th anniversary of Trading on the NASDAQ with CNBC. I learned how to work with cross functional teams throughout multiple company's and how to meet managements expectations. Met some of the most insightful people in the industry and have maintained those relationships even though some have moved on to other opportunities. Hardest part of the job was when I wasn't interacting with physicians, participants and just building spreadsheets, which were necessary, just not my favorite thing to do. Getting the opportunity to build a program that was going to streamline the business model and be a positive tool for the company. – less
The worst place to wok if you love what you do they manage to make you hate it
not important (Current Employee), livermoreAugust 14, 2013
Pros: laid back dress code
Cons: its like being in high school with al the two faced backstabbing jerks
I used to love what I do until I filed a complaint with my supervisor about a co-worker. My work life is a living hell and my supervisor is useless like most of them there are very few that actually know what they are doing. If you file a complaint you get the short end of it if you are injured they make your life miserable. There is major nepotism – more... going on here. So if you are thinking of joining this company run run really really fast and far away. – less
This place is a great place for people fresh out of high school needing work experience
Disgruntled former employee (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2013
Pros: going home at the end of your shift
Cons: coming to work period
Heavily micromanaged. Don't waste your license or degree here. This is a job just to pay bills not a career move!
OMG. Don't Work Here
Proposal Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2013
Pros: great benefits - as it is a health care related company.
Cons: culture needs improving.
If you do, just make sure it's not in the Marketing Department. The basic problem with Alere is that the company is really lacking innovation and it is having trouble keeping up with the Joneses. Granted, it is dependent upon which division you work in, but generally, you will feel like you're dead in the water.
Disfunctional Company
VOB Follow Up (Former Employee), LivermoreMay 11, 2013
Pros: good coffee, holey jean dress code with flip flop sandals
Cons: fake bouncy micro managers who lie to your face
Not a good place for contractors to work. Their managers micro manage you by standing behind you quietly, watching and listening to you and scaring the s--t out of you. They expect their employees to fix other employees mistakes which violate HIPAA laws and that is an acceptable work practice for Alere employees. 4 employees work one patient file in – more... 4 different incorrect directions violating HIPAA rules by faxing or sending the patient's information to the wrong places and producing no results but dead documentation notes on a patient's file. This is not a professional DME PT INR provider, they specialize in unique, uneducated staff who spell "THE", "HTE".
They are also low wage payers. You get what you pay for. Unique, Uneducated poor performers – less

June 20, 2013

When I was there, I literally had to file an anonymous complaint to HIPAA for similar reasons. The Cancer Society hired mean, spiteful mgrs to spy on employees and convince them it was ok to deceive the public. Is Alere the new quitline I wonder?

Caring family values all the way from management to patient
high risk pregnancy RN (Current Employee), Dallas TexasApril 17, 2013
Pros: great management
Cons: late assignments
I currently work out of the Dallas office. Our management team is awesome. They appreciate good honest work. As a nurse that actually cares for the patients in their homes, I have access to any needed supplies or help. Great benefits for our patients. Love my job. Flexible and self schelduling.

June 29, 2013

I too, work from the Dallas office. Taking care of at risk mothers- to- be in their homes is rewarding itself. Our management from the top to bottom is awesome, complimentary, and supportive. I am part time, with no benefits, but make more money than pt time at a hospital and I control my hours. I am not going anywhere. :)

Not a good place to work if you are a contractor
Device Tester (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 3, 2013
Pros: well designed campus with plenty of open space, friendly teams of people
Cons: managers that focus on everything besides what is important, upper management visibly has no respect for those beneath them, practitioners of the indefinite contract
But then, nowhere is a good place to work if you are a contractor. When I was employed there, they were under a perpetual hiring freeze, which seems to have not changed. They made a regular habit out of staffing the core of their operations (manufacturing, testing, the people who actually did all the work) exclusively with temps, only they would constantly – more... use the cop out excuse that they were on a hiring freeze. It was not uncommon to hear the phrase "I'm sorry, we can't give you full time this year, but maybe next year" repeated ad infinitum, to the point that people were kept on contract with their wages frozen and without benefits for as much as four years. So don't expect any sort of advancement. Just another cheap, Chinese way of managing employees that should be illegal in this country. If you have room for a contact longer than three months and they're not replacing someone on leave, then you have room for a full time employee; no exceptions.

The other reviewers mentioning micromanagement were spot on, only they forgot to mention the requisite bit about them avoiding real problems and inventing phantom ones. That is a longer story though, and could just be particular to the one that ran my department.

The campus is great, with plenty of interior and exterior socializing areas, and the working class employees were, for the most part, all awesome people. The kind of people who you actually want to have as friends outside of work. There were a few exceptions of course, but that can be found anywhere. As always, the employEES make for a great experience, but the employERS do their best to ruin it. – less

About Alere

When you really need an answer -- fast -- toss out the crystal ball and bring in Alere. The company offers both professional and – Read more