Alere Employee Reviews

it was ok
Maternity Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 18, 2016
hated schedule easy job I loved the training and being around knowledgeable individuals. This job increased my passion for heath care. I disliked leaving work after 10.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Vangent Incorporation
At Home Data Entry Clerk - 06965 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 3, 2015
The company gave me the perfect opportunity to gain the work experience in an IT field of Internetworking. At Vangent Inc. working on the CARS project was a perfect road to gaining experience toward the Administrative Assistance fields. The CARS program provided us with work distributed through internet mail servers. The clerical team was responsible for the determination of eligibility for a refund for traded-in cars.
Pros
job training
Cons
too short assignment
Great company
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2015
While working at Alere as a human resources generalist, i gained a lot of knowledge in the HR field. A typical day at work was spent entering new hires in our applicant tracking systems and assuring that they were ready to start by their hire date. I was responsible for completing their drug screens, their !-9s, their tax forms, and all other new hire forms. My coworkers were a great deal older than me which has its pros and cons. I was able to gain more skills and learn from them but also the age difference created a barrier between us.
Pros
good compensation, potential to grow, no micro-management.
Cons
no benefits as a contract worker, no job stability
Good company
Medical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I learned how to operate equipment used to manufacture products and checks and inspects products against department procedures.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Wage
Temp only and no advancement
Warehouse packer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth VaApril 29, 2015
I worked only two days and they terminated me and that was not right. They give you no type of training. The majority of the people was not that friendly and the work environment was very noisy. I was told the assignment will last a year I really don't believe that this is one company that I will not recommend no one to work for.
Pros
Free lunches and no weekend work usually
Cons
Temp agency, use a lot of profanity
Good for a starter to earn but not for people who wish to have a stable job
Machine Operator (Timegate) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2015
work is typically redundant. not really for a brainer. But everthing works fine as long a you don't mind their business with other people just work your day on.
Pros
not bad for the salary
Cons
scheduling of work is pretty much immidiate and you won't be able to get your long term plan sorted
company is good but some lack vision
IT Help Desk / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 17, 2014
the overall company is good. I enjoyed working there but some managers lack insight on their team, and unwilling to change with the growing field so fell behind. I learned a lot about helping to set up a work flow that would be successful in their environment, but was unable to have it applied to the team. hardest part of the job as any job is learning all the small differences between all the companies we support, and the most enjoyable part was the feel of accomplishment when you were able to help someone out of a hard situation.
Software Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  chicgo, ILFebruary 27, 2015
• Responsible for gathering requirement, analysis and design participation, business level QA testing.
• Participating in preparing test plans and QA estimates.
• Prepare the risk and mitigation plan.
• Work Estimation and Resource Planning.
• Coordinating with onsite and offshore team for ensuring the successful delivery.
• Manage Offshore resources scope, cost and time management .
• Manage and monitor the QA environment, QA environment deployments.
• Identify the tasks and distribute within in the team.
• Involved in Performance testing, functional, regression, system testing.
• Responsible for the tracking daily status from offshore and updating daily status, weekly presentation to client.
Enjoyed my job loved helping to bring healthy babies in the world.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2014
Once we arrived we were briefed on our down loads to the day and able to get coffee and breakfast and work on fulfilling our packets of information we supplied to our participants. That I had a very important job of assisting our clients which were insurance companies control health care cost, by providing a wellness program. Some were nice some were not. Executives were accessible when we needed to talk to them.
Pros
Gym in the building and lunch provided at times. Pot luck for special occassions.
Cons
I got laid off from the company due to my department being outsourced.
Flexible, fun, family oriented work atmosphere
UM Care Support and Welcome Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 17, 2014
My start with Alere was as a temp. I was hired permanently in July of 2007 after which, my professional growth took off. The opportunities, as well as challenges, afforded me a wealth of information. My role as a utilization review nurse was coupled with learning case management, URAC, and eventually NCQA guidelines.
Being a wellness company, the philosophy of prevention vs cure, also went for those doing the work. From smoking cessation to weight loss, we were given to opportunity to access coaching and strive towards healthy lives and living.

It is a great company to work for and grow with.
The worst place to wok if you love what you do they manage to make you hate it
not important (Current Employee) –  livermoreAugust 14, 2013
I used to love what I do until I filed a complaint with my supervisor about a co-worker. My work life is a living hell and my supervisor is useless like most of them there are very few that actually know what they are doing. If you file a complaint you get the short end of it if you are injured they make your life miserable. There is major nepotism going on here. So if you are thinking of joining this company run run really really fast and far away.
Pros
laid back dress code
Cons
its like being in high school with al the two faced backstabbing jerks
Alere Wellbeing in Seattle is an awesome place to work!
Service Delivery (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2013
The company goes out of its way to look after its employees. Training is solid and support is even better. The work / life balance is a strong benefit of working for them. Most departments let you work from home at least 1 – 2 days a week and in the Service Delivery Dept. you can telecommute if you prefer. The opportunity for advancement and promotion are solid. Many of the jobs are filled from current employees applying for them. And finally...it’s personally rewarding to work for a place where all the employees are dedicated to the mission of helping others.
Pros
work life balance, helping others
Upper Management is horrible.
Billing (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaSeptember 24, 2012
The company was a great place to work for until it became Alere and hired on alot of unfit managers, controlling VP's and controllers. The biggest problem I had was upper management. They had no respect for their employees, it was constant harassment with emails and they talk down to their employees. In my opinion, HR needs to evaluate the VP's, Controllers, Managers and Supervisors of the company. I've witnessed alot of great employees leaving the company because of that very reason.
Pros
casual everyday
Cons
management
It is corporate.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAMay 7, 2012
My current position has showed me a new side of nursing. I have learned how to assess patients over the telephone. My co-workers are enjoyable. Without them it would be even more difficult to work my shift. The most difficult thing about my job for me is that it does not challenge me mentally nor does it allow me to spend much quality time with my family due to my shift being a mid-shift. I am a person who needs stimulation and do not feel like my current position provides mental stimulation.
Pros
the ability to work at home for holidays
Cons
work hours are not feasible for family
Job Tasks
Patient Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OHMarch 3, 2013
-Process and track paperwork related to patient referral, reimbursement, patient billing, and physicians orders
-Collaborate with Corporate departments to resolve operational issues
-Maintain a working knowledge for all center equipment and implements corrective procedure for preventative maintenance/repairs
-Ability to use internal computer programs/platforms by using basic computer skills including: keyboarding, mouse, internet usage.
nice and big place with lots of break rooms and friendly people
Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2012
its a nice environemnt with nice people to work with. I learned alot of new things. Every station has its own different work area. but through out the whole assembly line, the inspection of the device is important so its good to have good vision to see little fibers and scratches. The most njoyable part of the job is going on breaks and talking to your friends because there is no talking allowed in the cleaning room unless its about work. this place is a strict but nice, cool area.
Client focused
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 31, 2012
As an employee at Alere I am very client focused and production driven. A typical day at work for me is to respond to all emails received from client managers. I work with the client and client mangers to implement process and procedures based on the clients service level agreements. I work with a team that encompasses everything from data entry to dialer administrators. The hardest part of my job is knowing that there is no opportunity for growth in my department when I love what I am do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people and the values of the company.
Pros
great benefits, healthy opportunities for employees, client focused
Cons
career opportunities
It is a relaxed enviroment working with patients while doing something good for people .
Device Management (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 24, 2013
I worked in multiple systems and yet the hardest part of the job was explaining to patients why something isnt working for them at the moment . I love the patients as they seemed to appreciate what we do for them. I love my team as we worked close together solving the everyday hiccups of systems but were together like family . Potlucks were great . My team was always willing to help each other make sure we do the best in what we did which was patients first .
Pros
4 ten hr shifts
Cons
sitting all day
Terrible Management
Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZFebruary 17, 2013
Enrollment department manager was horrible, she was not qualified for the position. Did not know how to motivate a team only criticize and threaten. Also played favorites and made it perfectly clear. Position was misrepresented, was told there was a great bonus structure when in reality it was very low and almost impossible to hit the set goals. Department was set up poorly, too many people in a small space, very hard to hear clients on phone when everyone was talking at the same time. Bad experience, glad to be gone from there.
Cons
rude manager
Salt mines, very poor upper managment
Testing Services (Current Employee) –  Northern CalifornianMarch 22, 2013
Super micromanaged staff with no enthusiasm. You were always watched closely with a micro scope. If you took too long in the bathroom you were questioned which was really embarrassing. There were talks of raises but nothing was done and management needed the employees to work harder and do more with no incentives. It was basically a gossip hall and can't trust anyone to be professional. Management basically looked out for themselves and didn't go the extra mile to help out others. It was very difficult to transfer out of a department or they would put a block on transfers. It was very easy to get written up for basically any little thing. Run from this place, not worth the time or energy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alere. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6