Alere Employee Reviews

Twighlight Zone
Testing Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Livermore CaSeptember 8, 2012
I have been an employee at Alere for over a year and I'm so dissatisfied. Management is a joke and there is no communication at all. They will walk right pass you and not even utter a hello. They walk down the aisles yelling at you to pick up a call. They send out countless emails instead of fully training their employees and expect you to know whatever new process they decide to pull out their hat for that day. There are no talks of raises. Employees that have been there for 2+ years still haven't received a raise. There's no acknowledgment for going above and beyond your duties. Most of the people that work here love to snitch on one another. Most of the employees want out and are stuck due to the economy and job market.
Pros
at least we have a job.
Cons
salary, work environment, management

Comment – March 1, 2013

Everything is the same over in the claims department. The employees that could get out have, and the ones left are trying hard to find jobs.

Hated to come to work after Alere took over!!!
RN (Former Employee) –  FLAugust 14, 2012
The management here does not care about their employees. The healthcare programs they have don't have the patients best interest either. All they care about is money,money and more money. When working here the management changed there minds eeveryday on how and what policies to follow. They treated you like you are in kindergarten and I have a degreee. Worse place I ever worked, Alere took over the company I orginally worked for and turned it into a circus. They expected us to make our call quotas but gave us so much busy work to do it was pretty much impossible to meet their standards. They set us up to fail. Really sad because I loved my job before they took over.
Pros
no pros after alere took over.
Cons
not flexible, uncaring management, preferred us not to take our breaks.
Independence and flexiability were great perks. Needed to be a self starter with good time management skills and able to multi-task.
Case/Care Manager and UM Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Field WorkerSeptember 2, 2013
A lot of travel was involved in at this company. As a case manager there would be many hospitals in a large territory that needed to be covered. One's ability to read and interpret care plans as well as predict possible outcomes. Aided in the delivery of safe and cost effective care. At times would be difficult to speak with doctors and encourage them to modify or enhance plans of care to ensure the timely and safe discharge of patients home.
Pros
office was in your home. all communications with managers were telephonic or via computer
Cons
days could get hectic. sometimes expectations from the health plans may have been unreasonable.
Stay away from this place!
Current employee (Current Employee) –  LondonMarch 17, 2014
This company are very tight penny pinchers. Lab staff are poorly paid here, equipment is very old and the IT is a joke!! Systems keep freezing/crashing and nothing ever seems to get done. Since the company was taken over by Alere it became more stressful, the workload increases with the same number of people and limited resources.
Backstabbing is rife here, nobody can be trusted. Office politics and complaining are often commonplace as well. There is also a sense of snobbery in terms of culture where some think they are better than others. Communication is terrible. IT sometimes make changes without informing colleagues and cause chaos!
Working here has destroyed me and everyday I am praying to find another job.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything!
Employee friendly and customer conscious
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 2, 2012
Business casual to casual dress, coffee and tea on hand always, and fruit a couple of times a month, no set seating, updated equipment. Constant care to keep customer or client information secure, with coaching on a regular basis to help perform to standards or better. Co-workers really nice and supportive, management approachable and "in the trenches" with employees rather than partitioned off. In slow periods, chat via IM with co-workers was allowed, and portable neat hobby handiwork. There are quotas, which, if the data flow or computer updates bog down, can be difficult to surpass to any degree.
Pros
free coffee & fruit, no set seating requirement
Cons
quotas, frequent informational emails of little impact.
Unqualified management
professional (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJune 28, 2014
This site is held back by a few individuals who have been there from the beginning. The only experience they have is with this company. This becomes evident in the decision making process. With time it becomes clear that they are not ready to become a world class manufacturing facility. It is an OK place to work for a couple years but don't expect the "plants" to allow change, to do what's right and to be accountable. Oh, mostly, don't expect to see any effective leadership here. You've heard of "The Founder's Dilemma" but now that the founder is gone you just have clueless managers and a couple bad eggs stinking the place up. That's some kind of dilemma, isn't it?
Pros
convenient location
Cons
bad eggs, inexperienced managers, no leadership
Salt mines, very poor upper managment
Testing Services (Current Employee) –  Northern CalifornianMarch 22, 2013
Super micromanaged staff with no enthusiasm. You were always watched closely with a micro scope. If you took too long in the bathroom you were questioned which was really embarrassing. There were talks of raises but nothing was done and management needed the employees to work harder and do more with no incentives. It was basically a gossip hall and can't trust anyone to be professional. Management basically looked out for themselves and didn't go the extra mile to help out others. It was very difficult to transfer out of a department or they would put a block on transfers. It was very easy to get written up for basically any little thing. Run from this place, not worth the time or energy.
Client focused
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 31, 2012
As an employee at Alere I am very client focused and production driven. A typical day at work for me is to respond to all emails received from client managers. I work with the client and client mangers to implement process and procedures based on the clients service level agreements. I work with a team that encompasses everything from data entry to dialer administrators. The hardest part of my job is knowing that there is no opportunity for growth in my department when I love what I am do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people and the values of the company.
Pros
great benefits, healthy opportunities for employees, client focused
Cons
career opportunities
Great company
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2015
While working at Alere as a human resources generalist, i gained a lot of knowledge in the HR field. A typical day at work was spent entering new hires in our applicant tracking systems and assuring that they were ready to start by their hire date. I was responsible for completing their drug screens, their !-9s, their tax forms, and all other new hire forms. My coworkers were a great deal older than me which has its pros and cons. I was able to gain more skills and learn from them but also the age difference created a barrier between us.
Pros
good compensation, potential to grow, no micro-management.
Cons
no benefits as a contract worker, no job stability
Flexible, fun, family oriented work atmosphere
UM Care Support and Welcome Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 17, 2014
My start with Alere was as a temp. I was hired permanently in July of 2007 after which, my professional growth took off. The opportunities, as well as challenges, afforded me a wealth of information. My role as a utilization review nurse was coupled with learning case management, URAC, and eventually NCQA guidelines.
Being a wellness company, the philosophy of prevention vs cure, also went for those doing the work. From smoking cessation to weight loss, we were given to opportunity to access coaching and strive towards healthy lives and living.

It is a great company to work for and grow with.

Want to know more about Alere?

Ask a question
Great pay
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 23, 2015
Working at Alere was an experience. I got to work along side some very special types of people. First of all, the nurses all sit in the section with their noses tooted up in the air. They never speak. And when anything goes wrong, they blame the reps on the phone. And then there is upper management who worry about trying to date the reps on the phone rather than do their jobs. One of the higher ups transferred back to Atlanta from the Pompano location when he was finished running through everyone. Don't flirt with someone who the other one has their eye on, and think that you will keep your job.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Nor everyone is treated the same
Alere Wellbeing in Seattle is an awesome place to work!
Service Delivery (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2013
The company goes out of its way to look after its employees. Training is solid and support is even better. The work / life balance is a strong benefit of working for them. Most departments let you work from home at least 1 – 2 days a week and in the Service Delivery Dept. you can telecommute if you prefer. The opportunity for advancement and promotion are solid. Many of the jobs are filled from current employees applying for them. And finally...it’s personally rewarding to work for a place where all the employees are dedicated to the mission of helping others.
Pros
work life balance, helping others
Enjoyed my job loved helping to bring healthy babies in the world.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2014
Once we arrived we were briefed on our down loads to the day and able to get coffee and breakfast and work on fulfilling our packets of information we supplied to our participants. That I had a very important job of assisting our clients which were insurance companies control health care cost, by providing a wellness program. Some were nice some were not. Executives were accessible when we needed to talk to them.
Pros
gym in the building and lunch provided at times. pot luck for special occassions.
Cons
i got laid off from the company due to my department being outsourced.
The worst place to wok if you love what you do they manage to make you hate it
not important (Current Employee) –  livermoreAugust 14, 2013
I used to love what I do until I filed a complaint with my supervisor about a co-worker. My work life is a living hell and my supervisor is useless like most of them there are very few that actually know what they are doing. If you file a complaint you get the short end of it if you are injured they make your life miserable. There is major nepotism going on here. So if you are thinking of joining this company run run really really fast and far away.
Pros
laid back dress code
Cons
its like being in high school with al the two faced backstabbing jerks
long shifts
Clinical research Associate (Former Employee) –  londonOctober 5, 2015
In particular, I developed my analytical skills greatly by working in the Chemistry laboratory where on a daily basis I tested raw materials and products to check whether they were in the specific limits to pass, using instruments such as the Infrared and Ultra-violet Spectroscopy, flame photometer, polarimeter, refractometer etc. I learned to follow complex procedures and used my own initiative to ensure reliable results of the highest quality. I also worked with research unit at different projects to reduce the waste cost of the manufacturing plant.
It is corporate.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAMay 7, 2012
My current position has showed me a new side of nursing. I have learned how to assess patients over the telephone. My co-workers are enjoyable. Without them it would be even more difficult to work my shift. The most difficult thing about my job for me is that it does not challenge me mentally nor does it allow me to spend much quality time with my family due to my shift being a mid-shift. I am a person who needs stimulation and do not feel like my current position provides mental stimulation.
Pros
the ability to work at home for holidays
Cons
work hours are not feasible for family
company is good but some lack vision
IT Help Desk / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 17, 2014
the overall company is good. I enjoyed working there but some managers lack insight on their team, and unwilling to change with the growing field so fell behind. I learned a lot about helping to set up a work flow that would be successful in their environment, but was unable to have it applied to the team. hardest part of the job as any job is learning all the small differences between all the companies we support, and the most enjoyable part was the feel of accomplishment when you were able to help someone out of a hard situation.
It is a relaxed enviroment working with patients while doing something good for people .
Device Management (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 24, 2013
I worked in multiple systems and yet the hardest part of the job was explaining to patients why something isnt working for them at the moment . I love the patients as they seemed to appreciate what we do for them. I love my team as we worked close together solving the everyday hiccups of systems but were together like family . Potlucks were great . My team was always willing to help each other make sure we do the best in what we did which was patients first .
Pros
4 ten hr shifts
Cons
sitting all day
Terrible Management
Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZFebruary 17, 2013
Enrollment department manager was horrible, she was not qualified for the position. Did not know how to motivate a team only criticize and threaten. Also played favorites and made it perfectly clear. Position was misrepresented, was told there was a great bonus structure when in reality it was very low and almost impossible to hit the set goals. Department was set up poorly, too many people in a small space, very hard to hear clients on phone when everyone was talking at the same time. Bad experience, glad to be gone from there.
Cons
rude manager
Upper Management is horrible.
Billing (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaSeptember 24, 2012
The company was a great place to work for until it became Alere and hired on alot of unfit managers, controlling VP's and controllers. The biggest problem I had was upper management. They had no respect for their employees, it was constant harassment with emails and they talk down to their employees. In my opinion, HR needs to evaluate the VP's, Controllers, Managers and Supervisors of the company. I've witnessed alot of great employees leaving the company because of that very reason.
Pros
casual everyday
Cons
management

Comment – October 25, 2012

I have that same experience. Prior to Alere the company had great management and they really listened to what the employees said. They never made you feel like you were less than them. So said how it changed.

Comment – February 2, 2013

First off I worked there as a temp I started 5/28 was fired on1/24/2013 the reason apparently I had been signing the time sheet wrong since Sept 02,2012 they brought it to my attention in Jan so that means Management wasn't doing there JOB they have 10 people in the same position VP its the same job at any rate I was a top performer enrolling up to 54 people in one day I just look at it like this wasn't the JOB for me Thanks for the let go also if you not in with the in crowd you out Thanks.

Comment – March 1, 2013

It was exactly the same in Livermore after Alere took over. Unfit management with no respect for their employees. And Livermore has also lost a lot of good employees.