Aleris Employee Reviews

Horrible company, back-stabbing, only inner circle of mid to upper management are protected and you can guess why a few of the women are.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHSeptember 17, 2017
Hostile environment to work in for mid to lower levels. Too many chiefs and not enough staff. Caste system in place and unbreakable. Major projects are executed by lower level staff and no credit is given.
Pros
leaving
Cons
staying too long
Temporary
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashville, OHJuly 25, 2017
Worked there 5 years. Glad I left. Lots of overtime and really hot in summer. Low morale, bad management and lack of safety. Ok job but wouldn't stay long
Pros
Pay ok
Cons
Safety
good spot, if you can't handle the heat dont try it
Forklift Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MIJuly 15, 2017
it was an honest days pay for an honest days work. it was hot as it was in a foundry. it was straight forward what you had to do on a daily basis. Management was okay but depended on who was in charge of your line.
Pros
learned many new skills
Cons
very hot.
work life balance sucks
MAINTENANCE PLANNER/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lewisport KYJuly 10, 2017
work life balance is non existent. the Lewisport Union runs the plant and I mean runs the plant. Management from a supervisors standpoint stinks, your hands are tied literally. They hate you at the top and they hate you at the bottom.
Aleris International
Staff Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Uhrichsville, OHJune 12, 2017
I worked at the rolling mill in Uhrichsville Ohio in the Engineering department. The staff were wonderful. Everyday was a joy. I left the company to pursue advancement in my career, however I would go back if there was an opportunity for me.
Pros
Great employees, flexible hours, wonderful environment, tuition assistance
Cons
Little room for advancement
Great People
Casting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lewisport, KYJune 8, 2017
Everyone at Aleris, Lewisport is great. The Union and Company have their differences but do not allow that to corrupt respect levels that is afforded to everyone.
Pros
The people both management and bargaining unit
Great company
Staff Administrator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 7, 2017
It was nice to be apart of this changing company. It has shifted gears over the last decade. It seems to be be a steady company with a lot of growth.
Some Great People, Not Great Management
IT Intern (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHMay 12, 2017
My manager and director are effective but also understanding when life gets a little in the way of work. Not everyone at the company is so effective. Management is not always supportive of attempts at individual advancement or new ideas to improve the company. They are also not doing great in terms of business metrics.
Good pay, but lack of structure
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 11, 2017
The pay is very good for the area. The company has a lot of potential, but there is a lack of accountability and follow through. With a little more guidance from Upper Management, and better work ethic culture I would apply again.
Best Job I ever Had!!
INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAM MANAGER - (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 4, 2017
I came into this position wondering how I would be able to adjust to working in the office and not remote. Upon the team becoming comfortable with me, they were okay with me working remote. My boss was the best boss I ever had. He made work fun all of the time!!
Great financial compensation for the area, poor management
Production Supervisor-Hot Mill (Current Employee) –  Lewisport, KYMarch 30, 2017
For the area, the financial compensation is top of the line. However, the poor management practices and awful culture (a mixture of management and the union that operates there), at times, the negatives of the job, far outweigh the benefits. Overall, it's a great stepping stone for someone looking to get excellent situational management experience.
Pros
High Salary relative to the area, flexible work schedule for military
Cons
Poor and inconsistent management, poor work culture due to the union operating there
Very competitive company to work for
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, KYMarch 23, 2017
Managed the shipments of molten aluminum to Aluminum Foundries for die casting. Managed the batching of aluminum scrap to meet certain specs for producing spec alloy ingots.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Dangerous atmosphere
Really enjoyed working there.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 4, 2017
I would still be there but the company got in financial issues and I was laid off. re-hired and laid off again. The people work great to work with, plenty off overtime was available.
Pros
Pay and benefits
very nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHFebruary 21, 2017
A good company to work for it was Commonwealth Aluminum , it merged with Imco and became Aleris International in 2004. Aleris had a lot of good benefits and good people working, there unfortunately they filed bankruptcy in 2008, a lot if us lost our jobs .
Pros
lunch brought in everyday
Cons
moved too fast after they merged
Growing company
Production Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Lewisport, KYJanuary 19, 2017
Aleris is getting into the automotive industry and are striving to meet all ISO requirements to get their self into a great position for the future of aluminum products
A typical day is reporting past 24 hours performance and quality issues to the executive team, breaking down schedules for maximum output production and performance. Working with supervisors to keep the production line running at maximum efficiency, keeping the sense of urgency of uptime and quality.
hardest part of the job was the hours invested it was normally anywhere from 12 to 20 hour days and sometimes more and always being on call throughout the night as problems arose.
The enjoyable part was meeting and overcoming production goals.
Pros
Seeing the mean and wemon that reported to you grow as leaders
Cons
Constantly on the job 24/7
Very challenging and competitive
Multi-Skilled Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Daylight leadman give out task to be done after morning meeting.
Learned all phases of plant and machine maintenance.
Have a good working relationship with my managers.
Most of the maintenance department try to work as a team.
I would say the hardest part of the job is the high temperature in some of the areas.
The best part of the job is doing different things everyday.
Great place of employment
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Uhrichsville, OHJanuary 14, 2017
Plenty of hours is overtime is wanted, great place to work, co workers and staff are great, well paid and many jobs available to be trained and learned
Multi-Craft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lewsiport kyOctober 30, 2016
Aleris is a good place to work.Most people stay here long term.The co-workers are very easy to get along with.The company is also doing a large amount of future investing.
Working environment not conducive to well being
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHOctober 30, 2016
Company has had many changes in the past 10 years. Most not for the good. Many,many employees seeking employment elsewhere.
Nice
Project Engineer/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 29, 2016
Great place to work; lot's of opportunity if you are willing to be a proactive contributor.

Lot's of Corporate and local initiatives. Always looking to continuously improve and implement best practices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aleris. Our community is ready to answer.