Aleris Employee Reviews

Best Job I ever Had!!
INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAM MANAGER - (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 4, 2017
I came into this position wondering how I would be able to adjust to working in the office and not remote. Upon the team becoming comfortable with me, they were okay with me working remote. My boss was the best boss I ever had. He made work fun all of the time!!
Great financial compensation for the area, poor management
Production Supervisor-Hot Mill (Current Employee) –  Lewisport, KYMarch 30, 2017
For the area, the financial compensation is top of the line. However, the poor management practices and awful culture (a mixture of management and the union that operates there), at times, the negatives of the job, far outweigh the benefits. Overall, it's a great stepping stone for someone looking to get excellent situational management experience.
Pros
High Salary relative to the area, flexible work schedule for military
Cons
Poor and inconsistent management, poor work culture due to the union operating there
Very competitive company to work for
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, KYMarch 23, 2017
Managed the shipments of molten aluminum to Aluminum Foundries for die casting. Managed the batching of aluminum scrap to meet certain specs for producing spec alloy ingots.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Dangerous atmosphere
Really enjoyed working there.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 4, 2017
I would still be there but the company got in financial issues and I was laid off. re-hired and laid off again. The people work great to work with, plenty off overtime was available.
Pros
Pay and benefits
very nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHFebruary 21, 2017
A good company to work for it was Commonwealth Aluminum , it merged with Imco and became Aleris International in 2004. Aleris had a lot of good benefits and good people working, there unfortunately they filed bankruptcy in 2008, a lot if us lost our jobs .
Pros
lunch brought in everyday
Cons
moved too fast after they merged
Growing company
Production Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Lewisport, KYJanuary 19, 2017
Aleris is getting into the automotive industry and are striving to meet all ISO requirements to get their self into a great position for the future of aluminum products
A typical day is reporting past 24 hours performance and quality issues to the executive team, breaking down schedules for maximum output production and performance. Working with supervisors to keep the production line running at maximum efficiency, keeping the sense of urgency of uptime and quality.
hardest part of the job was the hours invested it was normally anywhere from 12 to 20 hour days and sometimes more and always being on call throughout the night as problems arose.
The enjoyable part was meeting and overcoming production goals.
Pros
Seeing the mean and wemon that reported to you grow as leaders
Cons
Constantly on the job 24/7
Very challenging and competitive
Multi-Skilled Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Daylight leadman give out task to be done after morning meeting.
Learned all phases of plant and machine maintenance.
Have a good working relationship with my managers.
Most of the maintenance department try to work as a team.
I would say the hardest part of the job is the high temperature in some of the areas.
The best part of the job is doing different things everyday.
Great place of employment
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Uhrichsville, OHJanuary 14, 2017
Plenty of hours is overtime is wanted, great place to work, co workers and staff are great, well paid and many jobs available to be trained and learned
Multi-Craft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lewsiport kyOctober 30, 2016
Aleris is a good place to work.Most people stay here long term.The co-workers are very easy to get along with.The company is also doing a large amount of future investing.
Working environment not conducive to well being
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHOctober 30, 2016
Company has had many changes in the past 10 years. Most not for the good. Many,many employees seeking employment elsewhere.
Nice
Project Engineer/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 29, 2016
Great place to work; lot's of opportunity if you are willing to be a proactive contributor.

Lot's of Corporate and local initiatives. Always looking to continuously improve and implement best practices.
Aleris
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Clayton, NJAugust 30, 2016
My daily duties are to inspect crane then review furnace loads.I recap the day with other crane operator from off going shift.Load workstations with coils of aluminum to be milled or coater then slit.
I learned how to operate the over head crane, slitter operation.The management team works every hard to support the job stations.I must say they are the best team I've worked with.Everyone is supporting each other to get the job done safely.The hardest part of my job is when we are in busy season and metrics are very tight with line speeds.The best part of my day is when I first come to work and talk with my co-workers about anything that might be happening in our live's.
Pros
people, new skills
Cons
work schedule
Its a hot place to work at.
Paintline operator (Current Employee) –  Ashville, OHJuly 30, 2016
It good money, but you work long hours and Overtime too. We work 12 hrs. a day/half of the year. You get ever over weekend off.
Sr. Oracle Applications Developer / Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 27, 2016
Great place to work;great learning oppurtunity; the duration of the project runs long; appreciate the work culture and also work life balance.
Production worker
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 16, 2016
good work environment, qualify work force, family friendly company, they would leave you alone as long as the job was getting done. work was pretty steady most of the time, some busy days but for the most part very predictable.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
dirty
Able to utilize my skills in middle management
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILApril 22, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is completing the work as a team.

This company has one of the most diversified workforces that I've ever had the opportunity of working in
Horrible Experience
Engineer (Former Employee) –  RichmondApril 14, 2016
Great opportunity to work with PLCs, AC Drives, and all electrical components to include power distribution

Terrible Engineering and Maintenance management. Foul language, poor treatment of employees resulting in low morale plant wide.

Would not recommend working in any capacity at the Richmond Plant, they have an awesome safety program just a poor employee treatment culture.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Horrible morale and treatment
the job security there is questionable
Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 13, 2016
nice career but very dangerous working around a hot furnace. Also they work outdoors so the weather can be uptight. they also have a lot of lay off which makes the job security questionable. the people are friendly and have excellent training programs. I learned how to handle the material in various ways.
Excellent place to work at
Operations Excellence Intern (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHMarch 24, 2016
Opportunities to grow are plenty. A very entrepreneurial culture. No strict hours. Supervisors very supportive and helpful. Zero pressure job.
Decent place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 26, 2016
The co-workers were the best part of this job. Dealing with the heat was the hardest thing to adapt to. A typical day was providing was providing General Motors metal when they requested it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aleris. Our community is ready to answer.