Alexander Youth Network

Alexander Youth Network Employee Reviews in United States

Overworked and under paid
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, NCNovember 30, 2015
AYN could be a great place to work at if they didn't focus so much on the paperwork and more on the children. Judging paperwork while you are supervising mentally challenged children is close to impossible and not to mention a disservice to these children. The constance hands on approach I completely do not agree with and management does not like getting involved or get there hands dirty more in specific the Dallas-Cherryville site.
Pros
Medical benifits
Cons
Paperwork
cool place nice people
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 4, 2015
To obtain employment within a place of business where I can utilize my strong customer care skills, provide dedicated and detail oriented services for all clients, and help a company achieve each of its short term, as well as, long term goals.
Compared to agencies that i have worked in the past I will say AYN provides a stable environment, good benefits, and the ability to grow and learn
Foster Care Coordinator/Treatment Coach (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2015
A typical work day consist of various emails, phone calls, and depending upon how my week was set home visits. In addition I might have to attend court or a meeting at school. I learned how to work with other from various backgrounds, cultures, and circumstances. In addition I learned more about myself and how to manage and maintain in tough situations(crisis response). I had frequent changes(in the 3 years I was employed I had a total of 5 different managers) in management which made it difficult at times cause each person wanted things done their specific way ad some was more hands on and helpful and some was not. My co-workers were very supportive and we were very close we tried to assist each other as much as we could and they made the stress of job seem small by having some office humor and counseling sessions with each other even with the many changes in staff/team members. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and frequent crisis responses that at times interfered in me taking care of my own children. It always seemed that your day/week was never done.The most enjoyable part was working with the kids, seeing them grow, decrease their behaviors, and step down to lower level of care and or home. In addition I enjoyed working with the Foster Parents and building relationships with them which ultimately made the job a little less stressful as a team we really worked together to ensure the children needs were being met.
Pros
Supportive Team Members/ Foster Families
Cons
A little Stressful and alot of turn around in staff/positions
It Was A Customer service job
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 1, 2015
It gives you a chance to me new people. I did landscaping so going to different people house helping them in there yards from raking things out their grass to plant flowers in their yard. I helped out in a community garden with some other coworkers they gave us refreshments.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hot and itchy
Non-Profit Agency providing much needed therapy and support for under-priviledged and mentally challenged children.
Authorizations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 30, 2015
Overall, YO is a good company doing great things for the community and children that are in need of psychological care and guidance.
Productive and fun workplace
Summer Intern-Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2015
My boss and co-workers were a big help. I learned a lot while teaching a lot to others. The hardest part was getting to know people but it was well worth the struggle.
Pros
lunch
Cons
short breaks
Company that has the ability to help many children and adolescents
Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 5, 2015
This company has been a wonderful experience for me. I have learned many models that can assist clients to achieve goals. I have had the ability to change positions as I grew as a therapist and a leader. The hard part of my experience has been balancing my personal and work life within the company. I have found myself giving a lot to my clients. This has been a struggle but I have learned how to achieve the balance that can assist clients and allow me to grow as a person. This company has allowed me to meet co workers that are phenomenal and have taught me a lot.
Pros
Experiences that are one of a kind
Cons
Work/Life balance
Great Atmosphere and loved managers
Behavioral Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 8, 2015
The clients were great they love you as long as you respect them. The compensation could be a lot better especially with what you deal with but all and all a great job.
Pros
Free Lunch, Great Atmosphere, Changing Lives
Cons
Compensation
great place
FACILITY MANAGER & RESIDENTIAL SPECIALIST II (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 27, 2015
A very great palce to get assistaacne and bringing families together, for the betterment of children. The services are pure and attempt to be detail oriented per persons needs. Great ITH program
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
discontinued residential services
Giving back to Youth
Administrative Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 13, 2015
I really enjoy giving back to at-risk youth. I appreciate the opportunity for growth. I feel that management really care about the services provided to the clients
Pros
reaching at risk youth
Cons
need more donations

Want to know more about Alexander Youth Network?

Ask a question
Does good work, not great employer
Intake (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 19, 2015
Worked for the company for a year or so. The work you do with the families is great, however the pay is low and the workload is a lot. I was unexpectedly terminated without any prior notice after receiving a promotion a month earlier. The executive office holders handled the situation very poorly; which also carried over into some of the business decisions they make and how they engage other employees. Many others were terminated or let go in the proceeding year. Take a job here if you like working for those in need, but not if you are looking for stable long term employment.
Pros
working for those at risk
Cons
high stress, high turnover, poor management
Job Review
Treatment Coach (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2015
I enjoyed working for Alexander Youth Network. The position allowed me to establish relationships with my foster care parents, clients, and co-workers. I love the flexibility of the job. I performed the majority of work in the field and went into the office as needed for meetings, trainings, and records review. The hardest part of the job was balancing my personal life and stress levels while providing quality case management to clients and foster parents.
Pros
schedule flexiblity, establishing relationships in the community, advocating for youth in need
Cons
stress- being on call
Work Life
Cook. Duties (Former Employee) –  Charlotte NCFebruary 2, 2015
Enjoyed working with there. Unable to disclose much information due to the nature of the company. The work environment was okay.
Good, stable organization
MTFC/IAFT Coordinator/Skills Coach (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 27, 2015
Good company to work for
Stable in the field
Good benefits
Not a daily 9-5 type job
Hardest part is balancing home life and job
Pros
good benefits and flexability
Cons
not easy to advance
Productive workplace
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 18, 2014
Great work environment. My work consist of going into the home to provide services to children and families in need for mental health services. Participate in individual and group clinical supervision, case conferences, staff meetings, Child and Family Team meetings.
great place to work
Behavior Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  charlotte ncOctober 8, 2014
To help change a life of a young person is a investment into the change of the future of our world. A job that rewards everyone involved in helping our youth be positive and productive in society
Good for clients, bad for employees
current employee (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 20, 2014
This place does does some good work for the community and clients. That's probably the best part of working here. However, they do not treat their employees well. They are very cheap with pay. If you are hourly, in order to get all of what they expect you to do, you will work overtime, but your not allowed to get overtime. If you are salary, you're expected to work before and after hours to make sure everything is complete. Some of the expectations they have are not really obtainable unless you do so. Co-workers are great, some of the best I've ever had however, management is bad. That really is the biggest issue. They are inexperienced and not trustworthy. It seems that they are mainly watching out for themselves which leaves the employees on their own; this problem goes all the way up. Not a place you want to stay for too long.
Pros
helping the clients
Cons
poor management, burnout quickly, overworked, no vacation for part time / prn hourly employees
caring
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Webb, MSMay 21, 2014
getting all the kids together
i learned that just because someone doesn't care for doesn't mean you don't care for them
Mentor
hardest part was trying to get a child through their hard times
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the kids smile knowing that everything going to be just fine
Pros
getting to help others besides helping myself
Cons
trying to figure out a way to help any child individually
Fun and rewarding place to work
Residential Counselor, Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 8, 2014
This company was a fun environment to work while still being able to be therapeutic. The company was managed and ran well.
Pros
vacation days, comp time
Cons
short breaks causing constant interaction with clients
A great place to work!
Intensive In-Home Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 3, 2014
I had a fantastic time, for the most part, while with Alexander Youth Network. If it weren't for a necessary reduction in force, I would still be there without a doubt. While there, there were some bumpy times along the way, but overall, upper management was very supportive particularly when our team went through multiple team leaders in a very short period of time. Throughout my time with AYN, there was only one person that I would encourage anyone to avoid if at all possible. Other than that, your coworkers will be very open and generally positive. The only downside was a lack of raises offered... But with the other positives, that wasn't nearly as noticeable as I had thought it would be.
Pros
good pay for the area, supportive management at all levels, friendly coworkers
Cons
money provided for gas wasn't always sufficient for company travel, lack of raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alexander Youth Network. Our community is ready to answer.