Alexandria City Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fun and Energetic
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 29, 2017
I loved driving the bus! The schools that I drove for had great students! I wish I was still there. The pay I think should be a little higher. Overall it is a great work environment. Management and trainers are very nice and helpful.
Great place to work for resume building!
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 19, 2017
Friendly/team working staff that values your thoughts and opinions. Opportunity to learn the operations of a public school. Hardest part of the job: maintaining acceptable behavior of assigned student. Most enjoyable part of the job: seeing the growth in all students.
Typical Work Day
Senior Business Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2017
Review budget documents
Develop budgets in MS excel
Culture is quiet
Training on enterprise resource planning tool
Working to help schools and students succeed
Pros
Limited interruptions
Cons
Staff meeting are limited, expected to understand the culture and lingo
Smaller School System
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 1, 2017
Alexandria City Public Schools is a smaller system in the Northern Virginia area. Most of the schools have average size classrooms. They have good health benefits and give options for selecting a plan.
Pros
Smaller System
Cons
Curriculum needs reforming.
Depends on which school you work at
Library Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 31, 2017
This will be our 3rd superintendent in 5 years.
Difficult demographic
Culture depends upon the principal
A bit of "mean girls" environment
Poor communication
Pros
The pay is decent
Cons
Overall culture is petty
Generous Pay Scale
Learning Strategist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 24, 2017
Administration is not supportive. Policies and procedures are not enforced relative to the student body. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the student body. The majority of the students are extremely disrespectful. I've been cursed at many times. The administration gave me a caseload of 15 students, 2 co-taught cases and 3 self-contained classes for subjects in which I have no experience. In my self-contained classes, I felt like more of a behavior specialist than a content area teacher.
Well paying teaching school division
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 30, 2017
Small school division; good opportunities for development. The school division is expanding and re-drawing school lines. I enjoy the people I work with and my school; however, some teachers at other schools don't feel the same.
Place to teach for career
Health & Physical Education (Current Employee) –  George Washington Middle SchoolApril 25, 2017
Good quality schools and curriculum. Principals care. Students are engaged. This is a district where one could start, and want to stay. Salaries are on the high end of competition which is a bonus.
Great job for recent graduates
ELL Civics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 24, 2017
I worked for Alexandria City Public Schools on a pert-time basis. So I didn't really have any benefits. If you are part-time there are not many opportunities available for you to move out of that role. However, the pay is decent and they provide many opportunities for you to gain more hours. Management is great and when I decided to leave they were nothing but helpful and cooperative. Great place develop connections who can possibly write you letters of recommendation. I would suggest this job for any recent graduates who cannot find anything.
Pros
Flexible hours, great work environment
Cons
Little opportunity for promotion
Nice place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 3, 2017
I loved working with kids however there should have been more benefits. the substitute teachers are the lowest pay even though they work as much and work the same job as the teachers
Great Learning Experience
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 1, 2017
I learned a lot while I was contracted at Alexandria PS. I had the opportunity to gain extensive payroll knowledge while working in a friendly and productive environment.
A very nice environment with caring professionals.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 31, 2017
I love the classroom environment and there are always a varying level of students to meet and build relationships with. I work at a highly culturally diverse school and this makes the student to teacher interactions interesting to both parties.
Pros
flexiblilty
Cons
short lunch breaks
Great pleace to work, has its ups and downs
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 15, 2017
I love working for the school system and I love my position as a Cafeteria Manager. It has its ups and downs but its all manageable. There have been so many changes in the last year and it's presented many challenges. I wish there was more consideration for those of us that actually do the job from those at the top that implement new measures and practices for us to go by.
Pros
Morally rewarding to provide a nutritious meal to students, staff, and visitors.
Cons
No opportunities for advancement, not enough compensation for workload.
Excelente teaching experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 16, 2017
I recommend to apply for ACPS if you enjoy working with kids. I learned to handle the class environment with different grades. Management is excellent; however, the coworkers are not very welcoming. Co-wrokers can be an obstacle some times.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Great Diversity
Associate Principal Interim (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA, Francis C Hammond Middle School IINovember 28, 2016
They value employees, schools are diverse. Most employees work longer than contract hours. The district is in an affluent community
Pros
Great Students and Staff
Cons
Transient workforce due to other school districts nearby
Does take care of there workers, overwork and underpaid.
Food Manager ! (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 12, 2016
This is not a good company to work for you are often overwork and underpaid. One person is doing three employee task. You spend your whole day running and rushing not a safe environment for some one that forty and above.
High standards for Staff, children and community member
Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 28, 2016
I worked with over 715 students. I'm bilingual. Fluent in Spanish and English.
I love and enjoy working with children and the community to give the best colustomer services.
Pros
High motivation
Cons
Traffic
Life work
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria. VAJune 21, 2016
Enjoyed working with the teachers, and working out payroll issues with the educational staff.This job was intense because I was dealing with employee paychecks and you have to treat a lot of employees with empathy, especially when their have issues with garnishments, child support and IRS problems.
Pros
Great Team Work
Cons
Sharing bad news with employeees
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 31, 2016
Teach one or more of these subjects, English, Math, Science, Arts and Social Science.
Update Students Attendance, grades and administrative records
Ensure classroom management and discipline students during classroom period
Workplace Review
Resource/Alternative Learning Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 25, 2016
ACPS is well versed with the latest technology for students and staff. It allows students the ability to enhance their learning and staying current.