Alexandria City Public Schools

Alexandria City Public Schools Employer Reviews

A Tough Job
Gifted Teacher (Former Employee), John AdamsSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: good vactations
Cons: some days you worked without a break.
If you are a teacher, you can do about any job. You are great at time mangagement because you have to follow a tight schedule. The hardest part of my job was working many hours and the most enjoyable part of the day was when you saw a student grasped a new concept or skill.
Thursday's after school
Technical Instructor (Former Employee), 3330 King Street; Alexandria, VAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: enjoyable experiences, valued customers
Cons: n/a
I enjoyed integrating the teenage culture with the senior citizen culture where both generations can share their understanding of various topics discussed in my then and now tutorials implimented over the course of the year.
Renewable and fun
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 10, 2014
I work with different people everyday and i find it fun every time I go to a different school. I find the lessons prepared by the teacher, I teach the kids the daily material and responsible for taking them to lunch, and make sure they ride the right bus home.
Very nice place to work.
School Nurse (Current Employee), Alexandria VAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: short breaks sometimes
Its nice you can have summer off.
Very good benefits.
The hardest part of the job is probably having too much meeting but its part of the the work.
Fun Enviroment
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 5, 2014
Very exciting job. Constantly meeting new people and experiencing situations.
Productive and flexible work environment.
Software Support Specialist (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 10, 2014
The biggest challenge is staying abreast of the changes. With change you learn to be flexible, patient and to pay attention to detail.
Fun to work with the kids
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: short break
Typical day at work
less paying
No benefits
No insurance.
short break.
Very exciting Place to work.+
General Maintenance (Current Employee), Alexandria, VADecember 9, 2013
Pros: excellent schedule
Cons: benefits
Great workplace fun and exciting dealing with kids. Always something different everyday but it takes a very long time to get a full time position no matter how hard you work. overall its a good place to gain experience in any field.
Love working with children
Subsitute Teacher (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 7, 2013
Loved working with children and also knowing that I had something to do with their learning and making them better.
Stressfull job
Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Alexandria city, VASeptember 4, 2013
Pros: good benefits from the city
Cons: worst director to work for
The Transportation Department of ACPS is a unique place to work , starting with the management , a retired marine that thinks he is the best man for the job , unfortunately his management skills are not the best he lacks of people's skills and makes the must unacceptable racist comments.
Co-workers are great but they are all scared of the director , – more... so you are always working under stress full circumstances .

You learn a lot when it comes to public school transportation, you meet all kinds of people and you deal with hundreds of cultures . – less
Teacher - Case Manager
Teacher (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 8, 2013
Responsibilities closely parallel to those listed at Prince William County Public Schools.
Alexandria Schools is just a great place to work.
Substitue Teacher (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 8, 2013
I have not worked within the Alexandria School system this year because I moved to Henrico County. But I am still an active employee.
What you see is not what you get
Manager 1-Barrett Elementary (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 24, 2013
Pros: free unhealthy lunch
Cons: you must eat with your co worker even if you are management
Very old school theories on how a school cafeteria should be managed. Not a fun place to work, even if you have a passion for serving children!
Caring, diligent, resourceful and supportive work environment.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: professionalism, teamwork, high expectations, multidisciplinary team approach
In my role as a school social worker in ACPS, I was able to address social, emotional, behavioral factors that would adversely impacted student performance including attendance and medical issues. I collaborated with teachers and other support staff to address student and parent needs to create strong, effective partnerships to help students succeed – more... academically. My work as monitor of the implementation of positive behavior interventions gave me the opportunity to lead an exceptional cadre of caring and goal driven team members that brought new exciting ideas to the table but most of all, their positiveness and laughter that made the road so much easier for us to travel. At ACPS I learned the value of collaboration and effective leadership. Working with my co-workers went beyond job description expectations as a caring and responsive learning community with deep care, compassion and respect for every student and their families. The hardest part of the job was not having enough hours in the workday to complete all assigned tasks which results in extended hours in order to ensure high quality of services. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able being professionally validated in my work with students and families at the local school/system wide levels and being able to see from beginning to end. Also, working with such culturally diverse student population and their families provided me great opportunities to further develop my social work skills. I would strongly recommend other social workers to work for the Alexandria City Public School system. – less
Silent
Registrar (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: the children
Cons: administration
That old saying applies: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything...
Productivity, demanding, challenging and enjoyable
School Nutrition Manager (Current Employee), 2000 N. Beauregard StreetOctober 29, 2012
Pros: customer service and training
Cons: absentees
Overseeing the operation, ensuring compliance are follow, safety, customer service, and time management. I learn that each employee has different standards and as a manager I adhere to accommodate according to culture. Time management to ensure that every aspect of the job is done in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job is working with the different – more... personalities, although I tends to solve any and all issues that arrives. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing the customers are satisfied and the employees have learn a new task. – less
No comment.
Drafting Professional (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAAugust 7, 2012
Went through a lot of changes while I was there. New principals every year for a few years. Don't know how it is now.
Outstanding school district!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 18, 2012
Excellent opportunity to touch lives of youth. The kids are so appreciative and eager to learn in this school district. The diversity is immense, but so rewarding.
Getting an opportunity to bond with the children and witness their growth
Administrative Secretary II/Support Specialist II (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 16, 2012
Pros: pros, was sick leave, annual leave, and the spring and winter break
Cons: short or no lunch hours
The first 10 years of my experience with ACPS, had it's challenges but at the end of the day, you were excited about your employment with Alexandria City Public Schools. When I came to Alexandria City Public schools, I came with many years of Administrative experience. The first 10 years of my experience, I was responsible for the full operation of – more... the grade level offices. This position enabled me to gain more confidence in my ability to multi- task, assist the Principals, while also supporting the teachers as well as the students, and parent concern. Every day was a different challenge to get done what was needed for the day. I got along great with the teachers, the challenge for me with them was being able to assist when the request was the spare of the moment, or last minute. It would sometime mean that you would have to stay a little late in the day, or give up a lunch hour. This was fine, as long as the need and demand was met with satisfaction. You soon learn that at the end of the day, it was not about you, but about the need of the students that we served. – less

Alexandria City Public Schools Photos