Alexian Brothers Medical Center Employee Reviews

Productive,Live and always Instersting
Lead Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, ILSeptember 3, 2012
A day at work is always different never the same routine, it can be fun, instersting and stressfull. I have learned the compassion,dignity and holism that this medical center had offered to its patients, visitors and workers. The management doesn't always agree on all the decisions but when they work together as one it becomes best decision made for everyone.
I have worked with all ethics co-workers and it is amazing how we get along like family. we help each other to exceed to do better, we talk about what might have us down and we care about how we can get things done. The hardest part of the job is that it requires on demands and stats by it being healthcare everything is life or death.
The most enjoyable part of my job is I helped save a life each and everyday.
Pros
great benefis, 401k plan, dental, vision and more!!
Cons
healthcare can be stressfull
Learning Experience
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILJuly 5, 2012
Working at the Alexian Brothers Medical Group was not only and awesome experience, but it was fun and exciting. Each day I learned something new wiether it be from injections,or just scheduling patients. I was not employed at the office, it was an externship offer through my school, and I quickly took the opportunity to get it. The management was always nice and always gave advice whenever I had a problem, question or concern. I deeply appreciated there help, sometimes I wish all jobs were like them. I made new co-workers in the time I shared with them, they were also helpful and polite. I would say the hardest part of the job would be angry ill patients who were very sick and needed immediate medication. And me being a Medical Assistant had to follow doctors orders. I really enjoyed working with the Alexian Brothers Group, I learned new and valuable things.
Pros
free lunches for pharmacy techs
Cons
had to be at work 15 minutes early each day
Overall a great place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILMay 1, 2012
I started working 2nd shift but then transitioned to 3rd shift and so far it has been good. We are crossed trained to be unit secretaries and we also do in-house phlebotomy. Overall management is alright. I feel like I could get more results from the charge nurse though.I have learned quite a bit since working there such as the duties of unit secretary and how to perform an 12 lead EKG. My co-workers are getting a lot better to work with. i think the hardest part is getting to know your coworkers. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to care the sick patients. I treat them as if they were my family and expect the same from my co-workers.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
does not offer 12 hour shifts on my unit for cna's
Fast paced environment with great co workers
Hospital Healthcare System - Finacial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILMay 7, 2014
My primary responsibility is to assist patients understand the costs associated with their health care services. This requires me to be well versed in insurance terminology and know how to verify someone's insurance benefits.
In addition, I assist patient's without insurance benefits to apply for assistance programs.
My typical day begins in outpatient registration, where I am available to answer patient questions and concerns, and I end the day in the emergency department where I verify insurance benefits and collect co-payments.
Since healthcare continues to evolve, it is imperative I keep up with the laws and regulations and share the information with my co-workers.
It is also important for me to communicate complicated information in an easy to understand way to both my co-workers and patients.
Many of the patients I work with are very anxious about their bills, and I love to help ease their worries by making the pile of bills manageable.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
limited resources
Educating place with a variety of personalities
Unit Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 22, 2013
Co-workers are great. They appreciate your work and thank you. Clients are wonderful with a variety from 11-90 years of age it is always a new day. Somewhat saddening as it is a behavioral health hospital. I typically answer phones, greet people, talk with patients, work on the computer in patient files. The hardest part of my job is that management does not acknowledge you and they intimidate you. They are not compassionate and do not carry out the values that they were hired for having. Different rules apply to each employee. The most enjoyable part is knowing that I have put a smile on someones face and I can go the extra mile within my limits to help make their stay the best one possible.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
attitude of management towards staff.
I enjoyed the patients, residents and co-workers while a manager for Alexian Brothers
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 28, 2013
I learned a lot from Alexian Brothers. I learned how to complete the government required MDS on computer as well as the CAA's and care plans. I learned how to set goals and strive to complete them for the Department. I learned much about maintaining a budget for monthly food, salaries, equipment, maintenance, paper products. I loved developing my own team and watching them grow as employees. The hardest part of the job came when our Department was outsourced to a contract company, seeing so many loose their jobs, and what we had all worked so hard to achieve dissolve.
Pros
alexian's benefits were outstanding, 401k, pto time, flexible schedule, great management team.
Cons
the contract company that was brought in
Alexian Brothers has a wonderful work environment.
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 10, 2013
I have learned a great deal throughout the my ten years of employment at Alexian Brothers. I have a great working relationship in all areas from staff to management, corporate staff as well as representatives for material management.

It is enjoyable to work with all staff & management. It is a work place where all employee support each other no matter what the "title" of the staff may be.

As with all jobs there are deadlines for reports or projects etc. But we all work together when needed to get things accomplished.

My job consists of multi-tasking during everday. From typing meeting minutes, obtaining quotes for Capital and non-Capital purchases, payroll and managing the unit secretaries, etc.
Pros
great benefits and wonderful people at the workplace & great values.
Cons
no room for advancement
Have worked only a few places that have had such an impact on my life. Its very gratifying to perform what I do for the residents of the Village.
Ex. Chef (Current Employee) –  Signal Mountain, TNOctober 23, 2013
Some people come and they go, but the ones that make 10 plus years are the heart and soul. We know there names there children and some of there grandchildren. They have celebrations that we take care of for them and help make each one better than the last. They know our birthdays, ask if our spouses our doing ok, if your son graduated or if your daughter passed kindergarten. The hardest part of the job is losing one of them to the LORD, but we all know they are in a better place.
Pros
getting to know and provide the best service to the people you see everyday
Cons
lack of qualified laborers
An excellent place to learn
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJune 6, 2013
As an intern I learned so much about addiction and an outpatient setting. I learned how to complete an intake, run psycoeducational and process groups, as well as co-facilitating case management sessions. The management was wonderful and was always available to process issues. The team of co-workers was wonderful, everyone was able to answer questions, no one judged me for asking questions. This was a fast paced environment, which was enjoyable as I was always learning. It was also a challenge because you would meet so many patients so you never knew how they turned out. I loved going to my internship and would love to work with them again once I obtain my MSW.
Pros
great learning experience, professional, i continued to learn hands on about the addictions field
Cons
it was an internship and not a job
Accomplished many & any necessary tasks to keep the office organized, running smoothly with complete patient satisfaction and comfort
Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove VillageAugust 27, 2012
Check-in patients, check out patients, make sure the seniors understood doctors orders or next step in their care. Helped to train co-workers in office systems, Created organizational tools for the whole office. Work with insurance companies on patient coverage and care. Type correspondence letters for doctors. Took care of any unexpected situations that would arise ie. doctors calling in sick, patient emergencies, triage phone calls and anything else that would come up.
Pros
insurance options, earned paid-time-off, vacations, free daily lunches, 30% off healthcare at alexian
Cons
bought out by assention health, hense the lay-offs

Want to know more about Alexian Brothers Medical Center?

Ask a question
Educational and fun work enviroment
Nurse Intern/Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, IL.November 15, 2014
Though it is always busy in the ICU/CCU there is always a co worker who will help you out and even make you smile.

I have learned the importance of how your own attitude affects the outcome of the patient and their family and the importance of always finding a positive outcome. I learned many critical thinking skills working in this department allowing me to identify urgent needs of a patient as they begin to present and believe this is what has helped me along with my nursing career.

The hardest part of the job is when you lose a patient and the sadness that the family is feeling.

The most enjoyable part of my job is who I work with, they make it a wonderful work environment with their team work and good senses of humor.
Family-like atmosphere. Small hospital. Everyone knew everyone.
Unit Clerk/Outpatient Coder in Medical Records (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 29, 2015
19 years there and I only left to relocate to North Carolina in 1997 to be with family. Alexian Brothers Hospital, just over a 200-bed hospital, a great place run by the Alexian Brothers who sold out just before I left. The first 9 years I worked as Unit Clerk and worked closely with all the doctors and every spare moment I had I was studying medical books to learn all I could. I then transferred to Medical Records and had on-the-job training as an Outpatient Coder coding all the Emergency Room records and Outpatient procedures. Alexian Brothers is a friendly, family oriented, caring atmosphere.
Pros
Many - operated by the Alexian Brothers
Cons
None at the time I was there but neighborhood has gone down.
toxic work environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates - Behavioral Health HospitalFebruary 3, 2015
I worked there as a psychiatric nurse for many years. The expectations placed on the nurses there is very unrealistic. As an RN on the unit I was expected to answer phones that rang constantly, perform patient care, pass meds, deal with emergency situations, check belongings, the list goes on and on. The level of stress and multitasking was too much for anyone to handle on a daily basis. There was no support from administration or management. They just wanted to hover, micromanage and criticize. I felt like the life was sucked out of me working there. The best thing I ever did was leave.
Good illusion of Great work environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove VillageJuly 11, 2013
Phonies from the pastorial staff to management.
Openly ridicued and gossip about.
Management needs to continue their education.
Just a potentially bad place to start, continue, or finish your career.
Working here puts your license in jeopardy with the evil of management.
Pros
going home at the end of the day. library.
Cons
poor systems that people often gets blamed for, no root cause analysis to determine how things come about, environment is a pool of gossip mill, favortism and no real oppotunity for growth, poor conflict management from management, underhanded attempts to make official look sinester.
Very nice people to work with and high technology work environment
Radiologic Technologist in DI Department (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, ILJuly 30, 2015
It was my first hospital job and I had great co-workers who helped me so much to learn so many things and I am very grateful. The commuting to work was the hardest part because it was over 26 miles each way from my house but I got used to it later. I started with resource position and got part time position after 2 years and the schedule was more stable and easy to manage.
I enjoyed very much working at this job and I have a lot of good memories...
I have 30 years of experince in nursing including 7 years in the military.
clinical nurse 2 (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILSeptember 12, 2013
Works in 5 west medical floor, taking care of medical, surgical , remote tele patients and dementia patients. Wound care, g tube feeding, trach care, and wound vac application .As I am wound champion, I attend wound care meetings and update colleagues with new knowledge. I learned a lot about wound care management and applies wound vac too. I am a team player and gets along with others well. I enjoy when patients feel better with our care. Hardest part is sometimes in the evening when patients get sundown and have an admission same time.
Good people and values
Executive Assistant, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJanuary 7, 2014
Alexian Brothers gave me the feeling that I was doing something good for all people that walked through our doors. I was very proud to be an associate there. It is unfortunate that they are going through a reorganization due to new ownership/management. Some very good people are losing their jobs. I made the best friends in the world there and will remain in contact with all of them, this was the most enjoyable part of being there. The support of coworkers is amazing.
Pros
great support system of coworkers
Cons
unstable environment, daily tension
In General:
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, IlApril 16, 2013
A typical day working for the Surgeons was fast paced. Every case was different and you learned something new everyday. We had a wonderful team and I feel we all got along very well. If there was a hard part of the job, I never thought about it. YOU JUST DO IT! The most enjoyable part was seeing the patient HEAL!! I loved watching the process with the patients. The gratitude, warmth, and of course the frowns becoming SMILES!!
Pros
just coming to work everyday and working hard.
Cons
sometime very short lunches. i never had a break in the 8 years i worked for the surgeons.
The nurses I work with
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILNovember 22, 2014
When it is busy,it is very busy. I love the people I work with. They are a great team.But we are short staffed,and when it is super crazy,no one gets a break,or lunch. it can be very stressful.I have learned a tremendous amount in my time there. Things i never thought i would know,but am glad that I do.The most enjoyable part of my job,are the people i work with.I'ts what has kept me there,but i think i'm ready for a change.
Pros
the people i work with!
Cons
no breaks, benefits, management.
Great salary. Nice coworkers. HORRIBLE leadership
Behavioral health (Former Employee) –  Hoffman estates.March 13, 2014
They pay well. The benifits are so so. The coworkers are great. The management has no backbone. They will not stand up for you if there is an issue. HR does not really help the employee. No room for advancement.
They hire good people and use them until they are worn out. They do not value work life balance at all. Favoritism is all over the place. They do not practice their values at all.

If all you are about is a good pay check and you have thick skin go for it. Otherwise not worth your time.
Pros
good pay
Cons
leadership, work life balance, favoritism