Alexion Pharmaceuticals,Inc. Employee Reviews

Recommended
Member of the Central Services Manufacturing team (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RINovember 19, 2017
Good place to work. Some good workers. some take too many breaks. But the company is moving its operations somewhere else.
12 hours shifts. Management , some good some bad.
Pros
Free dinners.
Cons
Plant closing
Great medicines, no work/life balance
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 24, 2017
The most intense job I ever had. The only thing that drives people at this company and makes working there tolerable are the life transforming medicines and the patient testimonials. The company has completely changed this year, losing it's edge and passion. The current culture is very dismal and employee satisfaction is at it's all time low.
Great compensation & Benefits but bad management
Senior Financial Analyst - FP&A - (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 12, 2017
Alexion was a great company to work for at one point but senior management had poor vision and guided the company to a point were restructuring needed to take place which resulted in massive layoffs
Pros
Great compensation & Benefits
Cons
Lack of leadership from senior managment
Wonderful company to work for
PPU Technician II (Current Employee) –  Bogart, GAOctober 11, 2017
Best gig I ever had so far in life...thankful for the opportunities they gave me to learn in grow. The benefits and pay were excellent especially for around Athens.
Pros
Excellent pay, excellent benefits, good people
Cons
Pharmaceutical Manufacturing is a cut throat industry. Unfortunate lay offs
Very demanding but very rewarded
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIOctober 3, 2017
Scheduled work and unscheduled emergency work, learned how to respond with discipline and efficient decision. work with skilled professional supervisor and manager. Alexion is very demanding and the need of ownership is important but very rewarding. The hardest part of the job is to plant work with production demand. The most enjoyable part of that job is the reward of making the different for the patient.
Pros
overtime
Cons
dental
do not care to write
Medical Science Liason (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 2, 2017
do not care to write do not want information shared in any way would not want to effect future employment they payed fair just no job security 20% of company laid off done by seniority not performance
Alexion is a great place to work for...
Instrumentation Technician IV (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RISeptember 28, 2017
I learned a lot about how Metrology applies to the pharmaceutical industry at Alexion. I work with a great group of people. My role grew as my talents grew.
Productive and fun place to work.
Customer Operations Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 26, 2017
I loved working at Alexion. My job was interesting and challenging. My co-workers were a great team and family. My medical benefits were excellent. The environment was extremely pleasant.
Pros
Gym, benefits, atmosphere
Cons
Cafeteria was a bit expensive
Senior Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 21, 2017
Currently undergoing major restructuring; company headquarters is moving to Boston. However, I find the science they are involved in to to be very interesting.
Management out of touch with workforce
IT worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 18, 2017
Alexion was a great place to work until the C level management determined that it was in the shareholder best interest.(C level executives are major shareholders). The company is a shell of what it used to be. There is no constant direction from to top down, management doesn't pass information to workers. The source of most major decisions in from the internet or local news. Because of low regard of the workers the culture is toxic. Everyone is concerned if they will be the next people to be let go.
Pros
Good Benifits, goo coworkers
Cons
Management, toxic culture, communication, and uncertin future
Fast paced, but rewarding work.
Employee (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 15, 2017
Very fast paced work environement, requiring the ability to efficiently and effectively balance multiple high priorities. Very high standards, but at the end of the day the work is very rewarding because it is all for the benefit of people with devastating illnesses that count on organization like this one to provide them hope.
Benefits
Cons
Very Demanding but, pay and benefits were great.
TBD, not important (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RISeptember 13, 2017
worked here for 5 years, up until recently, most of the mid level facilities managers were deadbeats..... Especially BVL..... worst manager ever had the misfortune of reporting too..... other managers dead from the neck up.... no sense of efficient work practices, cared nothing about the quality of work or saving money. By the time management structure changed, it was too late, damage was already done!! The site will close soon.
Pros
Pay & overall compensation
Cons
Previous poor management
Fast paced
Quality Control Analyst II, Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandSeptember 5, 2017
Fast paced and competitive environment. Good benefits, not always a great work life balance.

Lots of learning opportunities, if you seek them out.

Large turnover.
Pros
benfits
Cons
turnover
Too many chiefs
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAAugust 28, 2017
Joined Alexion after they acquired Synageva. The merger was poorly handled and the acquired programs were largely abandoned. Alexion put very little effort into filling vacant roles and kept headcount so low that success was unattainable. I was surrounded by people working around the clock and growing frustrated with management and toxic to be around.
Pros
Good health plan and stock purchase program
Cons
bad work/life balance
Productive enviroment with great benefits.
Executive / Senior Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 17, 2017
My IT position was a busy department, we support 3500 people world wide and kept and made sure things were running smoothly. Management kept weekly meetings and informed us with updates and new projects that were coming up. The building was new and had a great atmosphere with the latest new technology. We were constantly busy and growing quickly and we had to keep up with everything . We enjoyed helping everyone with there IT issues and formed a great relationship with everyone.
Fast pace
Quality Control Analyst III, Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, RIAugust 5, 2017
I learned many new job skills while I was employed here. There was no room for advancement and the commute was extremely long so I left after 5 years
Pros
Stock options
Cons
Little to no room for advancement
Challenging work atmosphere.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIJuly 27, 2017
Good place to work. A bit challenging with a manufacturing process rate higher than the utility systems can support. Can be stressful at times, but the people working here are outstanding and always seem to help hit our milestones and target goals.
Pros
Talented workforce. Good benefits and compensation.
Cons
Poor Training program.
Fast Paced Environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 30, 2017
Alexion is currently going through a company wide transformation. The environment is currently challenging and our culture is being redefined. The hardest part of my job is now adjusting to a new position that I was moved into without a conversation and the toxic environment that has been created since the lay offs.
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
Work Life Balance
Constant flux
Patient Logistics Representative (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 26, 2017
There has been constant leadership change since I've arrived. My direct department is good, but they have hired from outside due to constant upper management change.
Typical Day at Work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTApril 6, 2017
Fast paced and demanding work environment but Management does truly care about and appreciate its staff and rewards them occasionally for their hard work.