Alfred University Employee Reviews in United States

comfortable and laid back environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYMarch 18, 2016
Working for Alfred University as a lifeguard has been a great experience for me. Working for Alfred University has given me the opportunity for me to get to know the people of the community a little more. They worked around my school schedule and avoided giving me too many hours. Overall experience is and has been great.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Can only work so many hours around my class schedule
Hands-on Research University
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Great school to obtain engineering degrees from. Small size forces graduate students to take on many responsibilities and gain experience in multiple areas with laboratory equipment, including operation, interpretation, and repair/maintenance. Also teaches excellent multi-tasking and time management skills as the small size causes engineering graduate students to act as teaching assistants, assistant undergraduate advisors, and research assistants, all in addition to their own studies and research. Great place to prepare for the demands of industry.
Pros
Class size, Lab equipment
Cons
Low wages, boring area
Student work-study availability only
Powell Campus Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYNovember 4, 2015
This location is good for Alfred University students to work in with complex class schedule. Great supervisors and support system.
great school and community
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYAugust 4, 2015
Had a great time attending there and I believe the professors there and everyone who worked in the county was happy with their jobs and enjoyed life as well.
Fun Atmosphere
Lacrosse coach (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYJune 1, 2015
The job was fun and enjoyable but also kept me very busy. Balancing a job and school is certainly not easy. Working with the players to get the most out of them is always exciting when its successful. Love teaching and loved learning.
Great place to learn and work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  EngineeringApril 15, 2015
My experience at AU has been wonderful. Although the majority of it was solely as a student, I have had the opportunity to work their also. I have worked as a Resident assistant, researcher, lab assistant and teaching assistant and all have helped me grow personally and professionally.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJanuary 11, 2015
My time at Alfred University allowed me to hone in on my counseling and assessing skills. As an employee at Alfred, I was selected to be a teaching assistant to the first year students. In my position, I taught the first year students how to administer, hand score, computer score, and interpret cognitive and achievement assessments, as well as behavioral rating scales that school psychologists administer within the school setting.
3 year sabbatical
Visiting Artist/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYDecember 22, 2014
Got to work in ceramic studio 6 days a week. Made art all day. Life was good.
Pros
best equipment in the world
Cons
alfred is the middle of nowhere
Fun work environment
Utility (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYNovember 30, 2014
The people I worked with throughout the last three years have all contributed to the reason I continued my dining hall job. I learned a lot from my supervisor because of the amount of time I spent with her even when I wasn't working and she was. The hardest part of the job has to be staying nice to the students getting food when I feel they ask unnecessary questions and trying to stay calm when things get hectic.
Pros
free meal with each shift
Cons
some of the students are disrespectful to the dining hall
Great experience while attending the university
Swim Team Manager (Current Employee) –  McClane CenterOctober 11, 2014
I held many positions while attending school at Alfred University. I learned many skills necessary for business and worked alongside new and interesting peers, that I may have never met otherwise.
Pros
free food, free travel, meeting new people, working in a relaxed environment
Pleasant workplace, but limited opertunities
Student Photographer (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYSeptember 29, 2014
Being a small school, Alfred University has few student labor positions for non Work Study Students that provide more income than mere pocket change. The University personnel in charge of the student positions outside of Dining Services are friendly and flexible. Within a year, since I started, the regulation of hourly employees strengthened throughout the student workforce, stricter regulations reduced the hours I was permitted to bill, leaving much of my work unpaid, and the amount of work increasingly sparse. There is simply not enough flexible paid work at Alfred University for a student trying to cover their basic living expenses.
Pros
friendly supervisors, flexible positions
Cons
low pay, limited working opertunities
Decent work environment with limiting career opportunities
Helpdesk Consultant (Current Employee) –  Alfred, New YorkSeptember 11, 2014
I am usually in and out of work all day shifting between class and work all day. I answer to helpdesk line and address work orders in the system sent by faculty/staff/students. I usually can help with the technical aspects of most situations but I clarify frequently with my supervisors. Most clarifications I ask are in regards to our policies in a certain situation. I don't have access to a lot of things. I am not able to touch any of our servers whatsoever. The calls are fairly repetitive and it does get boring at some points. We try to get the customer in and out ASAP so we do forward the more time consuming problems to "tier 2". Duties include longer virus cleanup, computer repair and network troubleshooting. The people I work with are all good people though. Overall not a bad experience especially since I can work around my classes.
Pros
local it work, working around classes
Cons
limited educational advancement opportunities and not lucrative
Fun workplace.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYSeptember 10, 2014
I got an undergraduate chemistry research opportunity in Freshman year of college and worked alongside with Senior students here for almost two years. This was my first research experience and it helped me to know the laboratory instruments and got familiar with using them.
Sociology
I.T.T. Specialist/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYAugust 13, 2014
I got my Bachelors from Alfred University. It was a good experience and I enjoyed it.
Pros
sports, education
Cons
cold
Worked 5 years through college here
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJuly 21, 2014
Great school and worked all 5 years in college here. All the managers are helpful and will help you grow.
Supportive and Flexable
Secretarial Assistant (Former Employee) –  alfred nyApril 23, 2014
Working in this small and caring office family, give the confidence needed to expand learning and grow out towards higher opportunities.
They help to give you basic office and secretarial knowledge, and help build towards more challenging skills to help with making the team run efficiently and productively.
Productive and fun workplace with great people
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred NYJune 20, 2013
Productive and fun workplace with great people. Learned alot about how to deal with many different problems that arose from working with stuednts with their housing.
Pros
free housing
Cons
no benefits
Place that helped me become comfortable in the company of others.
Student Worker in Powell Dining Hall (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYMay 23, 2013
I would create the food for the customers that met their wishes. I learned how to make various foods, and deal with less than pleasurable customers. The management was hands on to ensure that us workers were completing the jobs that we were required to do. My co-workers were great individuals, who I was blessed to work with because they kept work interesting, but also, running smoothly. The hardest part of the job was making sure that everything was done to the liking of some particular managers, because opinions varied between them. The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed to have some freedom in how the food was prepared.
Pros
free lunch during one's shift.
Cons
the breaks were 10 minutes long, even though the lines for food tended to be much longer, the varying opinions between managers on how things should be run.
Great place to gain real experience in the field as a college student.
Web Programmer (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYApril 11, 2013
I work as a part-time Web Programmer because I am currently a full-time student at Alfred State College. Typically, I work a couple of times per week. Each day, I am given work orders based on certain parts of the web site that need work done on them. I have learned a good amount of information regarding web development and programming.

There is a very laid-back environment here as long as work is being accomplished. This freedom allows me to express myself through my work in various different ways. I enjoy the training exercises that I go through here at work. There is so much information to take in, and the web team is a great outlet to learn from.
Pros
laid back environment, make my own hours, great place to learn, good management system, work orders.
Cons
not always work to be done.
Great People and Great Adventures
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYJanuary 1, 2013
Management will call me and set up transportation(s) dates, times,bus and type of transport. (usualy weeks ahead) .
I mostly do transports in the local area. And enjoy working with the students and staff. They always treat me with respeact. Must admit it shocked me to have so many young people say Thank You,
I have had a few times that I've had to use the GPS, but most times I have time to look up where we are going and plan ahead.
The hardest part of the job is the not knowing how many hours I'll get
or when the next run will be,also the school has it's breaks. It's not the fixed hours I've had for many years.
This year the trend seem to be afternoon runs (4pm) with some weekends.
My hope is to be able to stay on with Alfred U. and find another job that works in also. And then there's Life !
Alferd U. is in the top 3 jobs I have had.
Pros
a good mix of adventure
Cons
it's an on call work

4.4