Alion Science and Technology

Alion Science and Technology Employer Reviews

On-site with the client
Web Content Manager (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 2, 2014
Working on site with the Air Force client is very rewarding. We have little to no interaction with the corporate office.
Great place to work!
Cash Analyst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 12, 2014
Pros: summer hours!
Cons: none1
Busy environment! Great co-workers! The hardest part of the job was deadlines! The most enjoyable part was getting summer hours! Management was very open-minded!
A good company to work for
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2014
Pros: excellent people to work with
Cons: stability of company is questionable
• Assigned to the Integrated Logistics Support team for the Standard Missile 2 and 6 programs under the IWS 3.0 contract through the United States Department of the Navy
• Assigned to provide "cradle to grave" life cycle for support for these systems while in use on United States Navy surface ships
• Assigned to the acquisition of replacement parts – more... needed for the systems in the event that they malfunction
• Assigned to coach and train United States Navy personnel on how to use various systems as well as how to maintain the systems
• Assigned to develop training manuals for United States Navy Personnel on how to properly operate the systems – less
productive and fun based
Senior Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Burr Ridge, IllinoisJune 10, 2014
Pros: we always had lunch parties together
Cons: when some of the staff went to a different location
a typical day at work was coming in the office checking emails, gathering up the invoices for processing, getting the correct approvals and signatures for payment, making sure the invoices are within the period of performance dates, the co workers were like family and still are like family the hardest part of the job there wasn't really a hard part – more... the most enjoyable part is just seeing the same people our group was one big happy family. – less
Very little employee involvement
Senior Military Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
Pros: close to metro/customer
Cons: poor compensation, long hours, cramped office spaces
The managers are not in touch with the employees or there needs. They are very concerned with what they can get out of you without giving you something in return.
Sign your soul to the devil.....
Research Physicist (Former Employee), Dayton, OhioMay 12, 2014
Pros: obscene salary & buffoon managers
Cons: "a corporate culture, not a research culture."
The worst employer, well probably third to WalMart or a Russian prostitution ring. I was at their Ohio location, and was hired to work with research peers at AFRL as a Computational Physicist. Here are the reasons you should start running and not look back:

(1) First and foremost, to get it out there - they fired me since I was unable to get a clearance – more... (yes, my youth was fun, and I did enjoy the concerts). However, during the hiring process I made it the strongest point to inform them I was likely ineligible, and was assured "oh, that won't definitely be a problem."

(2) Secondly, I was working in Germany and turned down an Austrian Habilitation for this post. They promised $5k to cover the moving expenses. It was never given.

(3) Management is obsessed with time cards. I was actually told by this employer "Take time off. Your billable hours are too high the past month." So let me get this straight - you don't want me to work??

(4) I was hired to run scientific computations. That means access to a HPC, which again they promised but never fulfilled. Three months before I officially started, I sent my desktop requirements. It took three months after I started for the funding to be approved and the computer purchased through some convoluted funding scheme. That's three months of downtime spent "twiddling my fingers" in the office (spent on other non-billable projects).

(5) I became quite belligerent with management - they are much more interested in maintaining a corporate culture than in scientific progress. Most of my 'supervisors' didn't even have a Master's degree. The office I worked had some fifteen people on the payroll - only two of us were actual scientists doing work. Also they're all old and ready to die - the next youngest person in the office (I was 33) was in their late 50s. The rest was just administration for the military contracts!

(6) My final opinion of this company: a retirement home for military burnouts.

They offer an amazing salary, and the benefit package was quite good (obviously not good enough to gain my loyalty). The computer I requested was finally approved, and cost $10k. I figure they owed $5k for moving expenses and $5k in backpay, so I walked out with the computer. At least security was pretty lax - their "secrets" were all in one safe in a corner office that any enterprising spy could access!

If you do decide to sign your soul over, make sure you get a good employment lawyer to go over the contracts - these subhumans will find any loophole possible to jew you. I curse the lot of them to nut cancer and bleeding hemorrhoids for their worthless life's remainder. – less
High stress
Part Time Computer Professional (Former Employee), Mount Arlington, NJMay 2, 2014
Pros: hoping to bring order to chaos and the travel distance
Cons: the management style
It was a high stress job with lots of yelling. I tried to do my job, improve the records storage and accuracy but was stopped by corporate.
I love working for US gov't contractors and giving back to this nation but this position was very difficult due to the business matrix.
I needed the job and so I stuck it out.
2 coworkers were wonderful. One has – more... since left and the other is looking. – less
Great work location
Program Plan Control Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 29, 2014
Pros: dc area commut accessable
Cons: traffic
Being in the DC area was a great location to work. great family oriented work place. Good moral for the office and employees.
Terrible company...no ethics.
Contractor (Former Employee), DCApril 8, 2014
This is absolutely the worst company I have EVER worked for and I have worked for over 30 years. Management is spineless and will NOT take a stand for integrity. Totally worthless management that should ALL be replaced.
Great job with great advancement opportunities.
Chief, Public Affairs and Visitor Relations (Former Employee), Hampton, VAMarch 26, 2014
Medium-sized consulting company with lots of competition in many fields. However, public affairs was not one of them. I had one of only two PR positions, and the other was the vice president at headquarters. No advancement.
Upper level management is non existant. Horrible company!
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee), Crane, IndianaMarch 17, 2014
Pros: they paid me well
Cons: company needs a management overhaul!
Worst job experience I've ever had. Upper level manager was a self-serving, egoistical, megalomaniac.
This culture was fed from the top down. Middle managers afraid to make a decision because of loosing their jobs. They will typically take a hard charging employee and fed them to the lions to avoid risk.
Alion is a company that offers absolutely no – more... chance for advancement, team work or work satisfaction. – less
Review
Associate Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAFebruary 7, 2014
Working at an Alion Science & Technology has been a unique learning experience.
Solid company that took care of top performers in volatile business enviroment.
Team Lead (Former Employee), Stafford VAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: support from management
Cons: long commute
Supervised from four to nine individuals in diverse skills, to include engineering, logistics, and acquisition. In addition, these individuals were from various companies as not one company supported the programs - there was a prime and substitutes. As a sub, I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to be a program manger/team lead and I think this – more... speaks to my abilities. Supported the government in decision making and document creation. worked under time and fiscal constraints placed on us by the government (customer). The support included testing of weapon systems and ammunition, the re-build of construction equipment returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the acquisition of new mine detecting equipment. – less
Good company!
Financial Analyst/Project Controller (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALDecember 30, 2013
Pros: interesting co-workers
Cons: contract ended
My first foray into contracts and DOD cost reporting. Interesting group of people to work with.
Alion Science and Technologies
Senior Recruiter - Full Time (Current Employee), Washington DCDecember 30, 2013
Great company to work dealing in Navy Shipbuilding. An employee owned company.
Troubled Growth Approach
Operation Financial Manager (Former Employee), Everywhere, USADecember 27, 2013
Not sure that this company will survive into the next decade
Busy Work Day
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Alexandria, VADecember 19, 2013
Always busy during the day; the management is not good; the co-workers are ok.
Needs improvement
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 14, 2013
Pros: nice people - co-workers
Cons: software, processes, lack of training, management/leadership
Alion has nice people working hard everyday. The problem the lack of good management and leadership to lead their teams.

The company refuses to buy up-to-date software that is the industry standard, when they could save training time on new hires and quicker turn around in deliverable's.

Training is little to none, which is hard on newer employees – more... getting up to speed to be more helpful to the team.

Excessive time is spent on sub accruals due to changing requirements and excessive backup that bring no more accuracy to the actual invoice costs.

Alion has many good workers, but their processes are very labor intensive to common deliverable's that took far less time at other companies. – less
Excellent place to work
Program Manager and Senior Military Analyst (Current Employee), Shaw AFB, SCOctober 30, 2013
Normal workday
Executing HA
Part of management
Great co-workers
Nothing hard about the job
Dealing with people.
Demanding and rewarding
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Dumfries, VAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great supervisors
Cons: when computers shut down you get behind.
The work was demanding and it was a good place to work. Helping others in a team effort made our job more easier.

1 2 3

About Alion Science and Technology

Alion creates alliances between science and big government. Alion Science and Technology is an employee-owned development and – Read more

Alion Science and Technology Photos