Alive Hospice

Alive Hospice Employee Reviews

great place to work if youre in right department.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 18, 2014
Pros: everything great
Cons: resource manager
great job all the way around. only sore as spot to this company is the resource manager. everyone and everything else is 100%awesome.
I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to work here
RN (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: good nurses and care partners
Cons: the directors
I currently work here. Morale is extremely low as patient ratios are 7:1 on days and 7/8:1 on nights. It's next to impossible to care for a family and the patient during their final days when we have 35 family members to answer to. The directors have zero communication and are very unprofessional. There was an email sent between a charge and director complaining about employees- both I'd love to see work the floor and see why we ask for help! And that's the response they have and accidentally sent it to all employees.
The patient care is lacking tremendously at this point. Nurses are worked to the bone and are never praised for doing a good job but called out for missing this or forgetting that. We have 7 patients to care for and most are high acuity and we are treating more that hospice centered symptoms.
We are called off about 2 shifts a month with it being bout 4-5 lately since they changed ratio. We work bare boned and it's so wearing. The directors would rather us be worn that help. I love the team I work with but as for having any advocacy for us- the answer is No.
Great job - difficult but inspiring
Hospice Chaplain (Current Employee), Nashville TNJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: support opportunities
Cons: benefits are lacking
Administration is top heavy. Benefits not good. Good teams of people dedicated to caring for the dying and their loved ones.
Good place with some hurdles
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: wonderful facilities, great staff, fair pay, benefits, good training
Cons: lots of call offs for nurses, high patient ratios, high stress
I have worked there for one year and overall it has been a good experience. I have to say-they have increased their patient ratios so that your care is now greatly effected. This has not been a good thing either for patients or the nurses. Also- you get called off quite frequently since the ratios were increased and this means you use your personal time I order to get paid. It is hard to accumulate any vacation time this way.
The facilities are wonderful and the patients and staff are great to work with. The organization is changing policies though. There are a lot of people unhappy with what is happening.
Great place with a wonderful mission
Revenue Cycle Specialist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 26, 2013
Pros: will treat regardless to the ability to pay
Cons: no agency unity
Alive is a great place to work however the day to day stress can become overwhelming. I love to work and have always worked very hard at any job. I've learned a lot about hospice, the regulations, the challenges in obtaining proper reimbursement.

My co-workers are difficult because most will not accept any additional responsibilities. I keep to myself but get along with most of my co-workers.

The hardest part about my job is accepting the responsibility that my co-workers will not accept, but I love the challenge.
Wonderful Patients, Great Co-Workers, Awful Management
Tech (Current Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 25, 2013
Pros: making a positive difference in the final days of someone's life.
Cons: unprofessional and unethical behavior of the unit directors. (middle management)
This is the only company that I have been employed by where the management will speak with your co-workers, about you, behind your back. In addition when this unprofessional behavior is brought to the management's attention, they will deny they have said anything; even when multiple co-workers are saying the same things, and using the exact same words. One co-worker, you can ignore; however when multiple employees are telling you the same thing, it's hard to disregard. Please protect yourself from management if you work for this company. Have them put Everything in writing.
Love it
Receptionist/CSR (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2013
Pros: nice people to work for.
Cons: hope i can o back to work for them.
This was one of the best places i have worked. Everyone is so nice and helpful. Hope to go back.
Outstanding Community Asset - With Poor Middle Management
Registered Nurse - ELNEC Certified (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: great access to continuing education
Cons: organizational failures of management
A typical day includes significant education of patients and their family members, as well as tapping into a very wide knowledge base of end of life symptoms and their associated effective treatments. The most difficult part of this job was trying to operate within the ever-changing perimeters and constraints controlled by middle management. The daily environment of tension and aggression has resulted in a sinking morale and a high turnover of direct care staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the privilege given by AH patients to be included in their lives at such an intimate time. I will always be grateful for that privilege.
Upper & Middle Management non-supportive; very nurse-centered
Worker bee (Current Employee), Nashville TNMarch 15, 2013
Pros: patients, families
Cons: management - upper/middle create stress & distrust
Poor morale, due to hypocricy of upper & middle mgmt. Nurse-centered culture; other members of interdisciplinary teams (even doctors!) feel devalued. Bad insurance, benefits. Good people leaving. No advancement unless you're a nurse. Clinical nurses, SW, aides, chaplains, doctors are hard-working and loving, but lots of frustration in the trenches.
Poor pay, poor management, poor benefit with very long days
nurse (Former Employee), NashvilleMarch 6, 2013
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: low pay, high stress, poor management
Management is top heavy while the actual hands-on employees are low paid, high stressed. Low morale. Good learning experience of where I don't want to work. Non profit organization that puts more money into their management than their patients and working staff. Sad, very sad
Nice place to work
Facility Team Secretary/ Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: pto
Cons: healthcare
While working here at Alive, I have grown stronger in Multi- Tasking
Excellent company, good benefits
Hospice aide (Former Employee), Hermitage, TNFebruary 12, 2013
Excellent hospice care company. Really enjoyed working with my patients and the quality care I was able to provide.
Enjoyed the patient population
Registered Nurse/ Case Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 3, 2012
Pros: upward mobility, excellent team work by clinical staff
Cons: long hours, high stress situations
Wonderful experience gained from working with this patient population. Management frequently out of touch with nurses and other clinical staff. Management sometimes not sympathetic to the concerns of the clinical staff. Poor communication between Administration and clinical staff. Nurses, aides, chaplains and Social Workers on average very committed to their patients and willing to go the extra mile to provide excellent care.

November 24, 2012

The team work you speak of is too often not apparent. Too many unskilled agency nurses and inept regular staff who are sadly lacking in skills and motivation.

Hard work, little pay
RN (Former Employee), Nashville, tnOctober 19, 2012
Pros: rewarding work
Cons: low pay and bad benefits, terrible support from management, high stress, rarely time for breaks, very stressed out co-workers.
Hospice work, while very rewarding, is hard enough without the stress of very poor management, low pay, and very poor support from co-workers, nurse educators, and directors. Best part of the job is patients and families, worst is low pay, very poor benefits, and poor support from management. Lots of turn over during the last few years, with good reason.

March 28, 2013

From what I read here and have been told by those still in the trenches, conditions have worsened significantly since I left my position with Alive. The work is emotionally stressful enough, but the fear based management style and disharmony that it fosters make the job all the more dissatisfying. Sad for the patients, but if you're a good nurse, look elsewhere.

a good place to work.
cnt (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 28, 2012
I love my job I get to see help other that need help Igood whit my co-work my team leader nurse is best I have on problem work undre him and her. my hardest part of my job is watching pt. die and their love one hurt. My most injoyable part is I get to meet all type of people .I learned to live your life to the full and to take one day a at a time.
Alive Hospice
Hospice Aide (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 18, 2012
12 hours a day with hospice patients. You really need a lot of love and caring to be able to do this job.

October 24, 2012

The job IS emotionally hard, and working conditions at Alive make it even harder. I've never worked anyplace where staff was so stressed and unhappy.