Allegheny County Employee Reviews in United States

good benefits and compensation
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 20, 2016
This job is a pretty good job but no different opportunities to move up and the management here is horrible. I have been here for almost 3 years and haven't had an issue until they changed shifts from 12-8pm to 3pm-11pm. They don't care about their employees.
Pros
benefits, compensation
Cons
bad management and union
Fast paced job.
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, PAApril 16, 2016
Love working with the animals on the farm. Enjoy working with the public. They do not offer us benefits cause of our job status. We are considered Seasonal workers...but work 40 hour/week.
Pros
Being aroudf farm animals
Cons
some untrustworthy workers
the more you do; the more they want with no appreciation
Caseworker 2 (Former Employee) –  point breeze intakeMarch 2, 2016
The job is tedious with lots of personal suffering for the children and families you are working with. Extensive Court work as you become more proficient. Huge turnover rate.
Pros
travel reimbursed
Cons
extensive court work
Truly enjoyed working for the County.
Senior Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2015
The people were the biggest asset. The workload was fair and manageable. There were many benefits to working downtown and I took the bus for an easy commute.
Human resources and payroll analyst
Human Resources/Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  PITTSBURGH, PAAugust 23, 2015
Employee accident reports, fmla tracking, worker's compensation claims, approve timecards for union and non union employees, approve overtime, attend discipline hearings, type discipline actions and send to unions, enter grievances, attend meetings, schedule meetings in outlook, type letters in word, daily edit of time punches and dump unapproved overtime, nurses payroll and approve benefit time.
Pros
FREE PARKING, FREE LUNCHES
Cons
NO ADVANCEMENT
Nurse consultant for the Area on Aging Program
Nurse consultant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 13, 2015
Worked from home and from the downtown office. Daily travel also included between Nursing Homes, client homes and downtown office. Detailed work including the state of PA and Allegheny County offices.Learned alot concerning both medicade and medicare qualifications. This position was considered a management position, overlooking and detailing the work of the social workers that were employed by the Area on Aging Department of Human Services. The hardest part of the job was the travel and finding available parking throughout Allegheny County. The most enjoyable part of the job was the NHT (Nursing home transition) program. Enabling clients to move home and live independently after living in a nursing home.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
reimbursement for parking and travel costs
Great people
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 26, 2015
Really fantastic workers with a commitment to service and the county. Good support from all levels of management and good communication within departments.
Supervisors and management work with 'open door' policy. Communication is key here.
LABOR RELATIONS ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 12, 2015
Great place to work! Management is understanding. Communication has always been the key to every interaction. Job fairs gave numerous surveys of excellent feedback in the way things are handled in our department and within our facility. Our co-workers are team players and strive for success.
Average workplace
Workflow Administrator (Current Employee) –  Downtown Pittsburgh PAMarch 18, 2015
fast paced
how to work under pressure
be stern yet understanding
respect coworkers
deal with 30+ employees
completing difficult task
Pros
benefit time, benefits
Cons
not a lot of room for advancement
Some hard workers, but alot of lazy people.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 26, 2014
Work load is too heavy. Not enough time in the day to complete your tasks so you have to take short cuts. Management is awful. They just dont care. Still doing paper charting and there is alot of "repeat" charting.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
you have to "know people" to move up
Child care in my home
Licensed Practical Nurse - Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bethel Park, PASeptember 22, 2014
My own business, self employed, Child care in my home. Watched 2 children over night while parents worked,
911 operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2014
Answering all 911 calls into the center and preparing them for dispatch......Hardest part of job was the fatal calls.
Pros
helping those in need
Cons
hours
Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2014
Being able to assist defendants in their every day needs and make improvements in their lives is rewarding in itself.
Political environment
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 4, 2014
Allegheny County Council is a political office that was constantly changing. This constant change was the most enjoyable, ad the hardest part of the job for me because it presented me with constant and consistent challenges. The face and environment of the office changed with each election. This was the greatest challenge, though not impossible. Just challenging.

"A typical day at work" didn't exist. I worked directly under the Director of Budget and Administration as well as 15 Council Members. Each one requiring/demanding something different and all possessing different characters, emotions, and personalities.

I got along well with all of my co-workers, Directors, Council Members, Department heads ad employees of other departments in Allegheny County.
Pros
healthcare, relationships with companies and other departments
Cons
political unfairness
Persons in the main call area are ones who like to start rumors about new hires.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 3, 2014
Taking emergency calls
I have learned patience and understanding for persons who are under stressful situations.
The management has its ups and downs, depending on who is on call when you are working. They have been know to choose their favorite people in the center.
I learned to be careful of some of the co-workers, not to get too close with some. As I stated they have ones who like to start rumors and give new hires a rough time.
The hardest part of the job was to not take the work home with you after having very stressful and painful calls.
The most enjoyable part was knowing I was helping someone in time of need and gave them comfort in knowing I was there for them.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
mandated hours at times, working 4hrs to 8hrs over
Allegheny County Court Of Common Pleas (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 14, 2014
The ability to be able to work with individuals that have various backgrounds.
benefits
Cons
compensation
An overall valuable learning experience
Project Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2014
An internship that allows to learn a lot about local government, public policy implementation, and gives a student an opportunity to add value and share ideas and strategies with the decision-makers.
Productive and busy Long Term Care Facility
Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2012
I enjoy my duties at my current place of employment, there is never a boring day.
Pros
free lunches and free parking
Cons
when a resident passes on
Management out of touch with reality of every-day activities