Allegheny General Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Management is poor
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Information SystemsApril 29, 2016
The workers at AGH work very hard for little money. The responsibilities are not clearly explained and everyone is just trying to pull things together. Management has very poor communication. Love the coworkers and the job, but management is poorly operated. The best part of the day was working with the people there.
Pros
Nice salary and employees
Cons
Management lacks communication and organization
You will always be productive.
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 23, 2016
A typical day at working as a food service associate is that you will come in on your shift but what ever you are suppose to do that's what your going to be doing they switch everything. The management is so unorganized also don't help or be around when we need the managers. I learned how to do more than one job at once and also how to teach myself to do different jobs. Some of my co-workers like to leave and have everyone to finish the work. The hardest part of the job is when you have to teach yourself to do the job with no help, One thing I enjoyed at the job was being a cashier.
Dedicated and patient-centered professionals working for the survival of the system
Surgical technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2016
Allegheny General Hospital functions to just get through the scheduled day with no leadership plan to retain the underpaid and overworked while the union protects the jobs of others who soak the money out of the system until they retire. Healthcare and union fees have decreased the compensation for the already poorly paid workers. Highmark has no idea how to run a hospital system or how to care for patients, let alone keep the point of care staff who represent them to the patients who pay their executive salaries.
Pros
Other staff, coworkers and surgeons
Cons
Little value or appreciation for the caregivers
first job as an RN
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2016
good start to a nursing career; learned good time management skills while taking care of 3-4 patients a shift; good team work; excellent doctors and nurses
if you want to work your butt off
Computed Tomography Technologist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 21, 2016
Hard to keep employees when they wont pay what they are worth for a level 1 trauma and certified stroke center. Hard work not enough pay or appreciation.
Informative and interesting
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2016
This was a great experience for me. I would be informed on the patients that I would be testing that day by my supervisor. I would then give the patient a neuropsych test battery. I learned how to administer multiple neuropsych tests to patients. Hardest and most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with patients.
Pros
Working with patients
Cons
unpaid internship
good job
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 29, 2015
Collect appropriate specimens by venipuncture, heelstick, and fingerstick following established procedures including proper patient identification procedures. Enter collected specimens into the computer system (SunQuest) and utilized various computer functions. provided a detailed tally sheet of patient collections during shift also had high volume of patient interaction daily as well
Pros
got alot of support from management
Cons
didn't pay enough
Team Work Must
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 4, 2015
Had to carry a pager and was responsible for 3-5 floors, Needed to be available and respond within 5 minutes for blood work
Pros
Early shift, made it easier to get blood draws completed before patient saw the doctor
Cons
Shorthanded
System in transition after purchase by High Mark
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, PaOctober 31, 2015
I felt that after the West Penn was purchased by High Mark their was lack of true leadership in the Facilities department. At times my direct report kept changing every day and sometimes I did not know who was in charge.
Pros
A stable paycheck
Cons
Lack of Leadership
Pleasant atmosphere
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 3, 2015
There were about 6 transcriptionists and we helped each other. The work ethic was fantastic. Everybody typed all reports. The supervisor mainly typed the operative reports.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers.
Cons
Outdated equipment.
Great Hospital
Phlebotomist/ Dialysis Tech (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 28, 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Dedicated medical staff that provide excellent care to their patients. Management was supportive and dedicated to patient care.
Pros
Hours
Easy job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2015
Not a bad company to work for. Must have a good work ethic. Be dependable. The hours I worked were sometimes limited. The pay was decent.
constant pressure, new VP are heartless and don't know what they are doing.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  PGH PASeptember 6, 2015
I worked 16 yrs as a manager, loved my job until AGH bought my practice. They brought in people (VP) that were fired from UPMC. They fired all the seasoned people. They set many of us up for failure. They literally ruined out practice. They don't care about patients, its all about money. I SO GLAD I'M OUT OF THERE. THE LAST 3 YRS THEY CAUSED SO MUCH STRESS. THE PEOPLE THAT WORKED THERE WERE GREAT. MOST OF THEM ARE GONE NOW.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Fast past Level 1 Trauma center , that I enjoyed .
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 20, 2015
I worked mainly night shift and loved my job for the most part . It was a verry diverse population of patients . And also injuries .
I loved the people that I worked with they were always therre and reliable ,
the most enjoyable part of my job was meeting the diffirent people.
Pros
A wonderful staff to work with .
Cons
Frequently changed director positions
Fast paced, interesting workplace
Destop Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 5, 2015
During my time at Allegheny General Hospital, much of the work that we did was very hands on. I especially enjoyed this because it helped reinforce the skills that I had developed in college, while also keeping me moving throughout the day, so there was never really a dull moment. A typical day would involve me and another intern helping the Desktop Support with tickets that they received during the day. Most were fairly simple, such as moving machines, installing printers and scanners, and replacing monitors. My favorite part of the job was joking around with the team during down time, which our boss didn't mind, as long as we got our work done. It tended to be a fairly stress free environment most of the time, except for on Mondays when most of our difficult tickets would come in, though I did enjoy the challenge. Overall I would say this is an excellent company to work for and I looked forward to walking there every day, I would definitely go back.
Pros
Good people, Great food made on site for lunch, Great experience, Considerate and caring boss
Cons
Insufficient parking, questionable area
fast paced
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 27, 2015
its a nice place to work. friendly folks, and they always have smiling faces. I really enjoy working with my co-workers.
great job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2015
i loved my job at giant eagle it was not for me though however i enjoyed working there working with my team to get the job done i loved my manager, when i left giant eagle they ask me to stay and just work one day a week they didn't want me to leave but i work.
Pros
we worked as a team to get the job done and we had perfect communication even manager
Cons
grumpy customers constantly standing on your
Great place to work.
Respiratory Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Respiratory DepartmentMay 6, 2015
During my clinical rotations I experienced friendly and helpful people. I found the work environment educational and rewarding.
Pros
the personel
Cons
food in the cafeteria
I have worked at allegheny general 20 years and although there have been some rough patches it is a nice place to work
DATA COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2015
A typical day at work starts at 7 a.M. Starting with the phones from liver transplant patients, radiology, and other health care facilities. I entered all transplant patients labs, get chart ready for clinic and do all transplant billing. I have the best co-workers one could ask for, everyone in our departments will lend a helping hand. The hardest part of my job is having a personal relationship with the patient. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I help someone.
Pros
I AM NOT MICRO-MANAGED.
Cons
WHEN YOU ARE ON VACATION, THERE IS NO ONE TO DO YOUR JOB BECAUSE IT IS A VERY BUSY OFFICE
Great Work Enviornment
Practice Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2015
A typical work day will include Calls scheduling, and filling.
Everyone was great. i enjoyed everyone. I learned a new skill, as being an secretary were before i was just into I.T. The hardest part of the job was not being challenged enough. I tried to take it as a good thing since i am presently a school student, i could not going home feeling unchallenged at the end of the day. I am presently for a similar job were i may utilize my skills in the secretarial field but more importantly in the I.T. field. The most enjoyable part was the people.