Allegheny Intermediate Unit Employee Reviews

wonderful place to work, but challenging.
Family Development Specialist-Parent Educator (Current Employee) –  McKeesport, PASeptember 12, 2017
A work day may consist of a family in crisis needing housing assistance, or a mother that need to get involved in our program to get custody of her children back.
Pros
flexible day, benefits, helping families
Cons
Our goal is to help families be self-sufficient and sometimes they are unsuccessful.
Proactive school for special needs or disadvantaged chldren
Secretary to Principal (Current Employee) –  Turtle Creek, PAAugust 11, 2017
Typical Day: Arrive 7:15 a.m. to prepare for arriving students who are required to sign in. Call parents/guardians of any student that has not arrived to school. Enter data for new student enrollments; student withdrawals; student roster/emergency spreadsheet; prepare student file folders; update spreadsheet that is required by State of PA; scan student records into database; update student counselor assignments and distribute to teachers and staff; order requested office supplies for staff; verify student's early dismissal; meeting minutes twice a week.
The position has led to a deeper understanding of the needs of so many children.
Management has been up and down; currently up.
Teachers and Counselors at this organization are very qualified and extremely caring.
It is difficult to coordinate communication.
Pros
Rewarding position where student progress is positive
Cons
Lack of communication sometimes drives chaos
upward movement possible, low pay
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tarentum, PAJuly 15, 2017
I worked for the Head Start program. I enjoyed working with the staff and the children. However, the program was hurt when the Allegheny Intermediate Unit added the daycare program to it.
Pros
free meals
Cons
working rotating shifts to cover 6 am to 6 pm daycare program
Not for everyone, but a great job
Paraprofessional Aide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 11, 2017
You must enjoy working with disabled students, but AIU provides a fantastic environment for working with them. The staff is friendly and the environment is welcoming.
Pros
Good facilities, great coworkers, and rewarding work.
Cons
Cutthroat environment. "Bumping" other employees creates a toxic environment.
Company will accept students for internships.
Graduate Clinician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 17, 2017
Allegheny Intermediate Unit is an educational organization in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania dedicated to the educational need of students. They are an organization in the South Western part of the state governed by local leadership.
Benefits are excellenct. Managment is hard to work with. Pay is low
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PAMay 5, 2017
Benefits are excellent, if you need insurance. Company will reimburse 80% of tuition for public university, if you can pay up front with a 3 year investment. Most people can not pay upfront because pay is extremely low. The claim is that benefits make up for lack of pay. Teacher assistants are below poverty level pay and teachers are in 20 range. Management is hard to work with. Lots of micromanagement occurs.
Working at the Aiu is a great experience
Fiscal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 3, 2017
Great company to working for that takes care of preschool children. We handle children in the suburban areas. The classroom provide free breakfast and lunch.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Great
Limited advancement
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Turtle Creek, PAFebruary 14, 2017
Great benefits, but not a lot of opportunity to advance unless you are looking to become an administrator. Tuition reimbursement was only offered to teachers and administrators.
Pros
Free parking, great benefits
Allegheny Intermediate Unit
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 25, 2016
As a substitute for Allegheny Intermediate Unit I was very pleased with the way they treated me. I enjoyed the challenges of not knowing what the classroom I was about to go to would be like..

Employers at the different schools were always so kind and helpful to me.

The hardest part was not having a steady income to rely on.

Overall, working for the Allegheny Intermediate Unit was a positive experience.
I have nothing positive or negative to say about AIU
Educational Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 15, 2016
No comment at this time about working at AIU for 17 years before I started working at Pittsburgh Public School. Thank you
Non-profit agency specializing in educational services for Allegheny County
FAMILY SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Homestead, PANovember 10, 2015
AIU provides educational services to Allegheny County. It operates with federal and state funding, and is county-wide.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
federal and state funding limits merit raises
Fufilling job, fantastic coworkers
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Moon TownshipJuly 11, 2015
Every day consists of 2 preschool sessions. The number of children varied. Working here taught me how to work as a team in a chaotic environment. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the teacher and the other paraprofessional. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to the children moving on to kindergarten.
rewarding and fun place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  AIU classroom is in DuquesneMay 20, 2015
Working with young children has its challenges but the program has many tools to work with within the classrooms. I was fortunate to receive a HATCH board this year which is an interactive touch screen/computer and an IPAD. Technology is becoming increasingly important to education and it was nice to start these little ones on the journey.
It was great!
Family Center Intern (Former Employee) –  McKeesport, PAMay 16, 2015
I loved the entire work environment and it gave me a lot of experience. Everyone was very positive there. I learned a lot about what went on at my specific center and I was even able to use my input in many situations.
Best company I have worked for so far
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 29, 2015
Let me start by saying this company has been the best one I have worked for since my college graduation. The staff are helpful, readily able to answer questions and help with problems, and the atmosphere is overall great. There was always something to do including a whole month of health-based services including health fair, free afterwork yoga sessions, and spa days, multiple charity events and programs throughout the year for children and families in need, plus free lunch for all on most Fridays. We would even get free time for usually up to an hour during the work day to attend those special events like on my first day there when one of the Pittsburgh Colts players came to discuss benefits of supporting the United Way. That was a whole hour just listening to him, eating snacks, and meeting my co-workers. The job itself was basic clerical and administrative duties including answering the phone, scanning applicant documents for filing, opening and sorting mail, and special office projects. Great company! If I ever moved back to Pittsburgh I would certainly hope to work for them again.
Pros
benefits, great co-workers, long lunch, good atmosphere, diverse activities for staff
Cons
low starting pay
great work atmosphere
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Pgh., PAAugust 28, 2014
The Company no longer exists. The Employer was very flexible with my work schedule due to the fact that I had small children at the time
Nice job but no growth
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 17, 2014
This is a nice company to work for but with no future for growth or professional development, It's a nice job for part time employee or someone who is retired looking for work. There is just no growth or advancement.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
No breaks, No Advancement, No promotions/raises
Great Company
Senior Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Homestead, PAJuly 27, 2014
Great Company to work for. I cannot say enough good things about them.
nice people
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PAJune 25, 2014
payroll data entry
health insurance entry
nice atmosphere
polite coworkers
It takes a team of people to support a child with challenging behaviors.
Positive Behavior Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PADecember 28, 2013
The job of Mental Health consultant is demanding, sad, and sometimes fulfilling. Sometimes the team can work together to support the child in crisis, teach new behaviors, and support family to follow through with advanced care. This takes solid management and people skills to gain the trust of team members. Sometimes there are several barriers that prevent success. Finding the best intervention for the child is the hardest part of the job while successfully supporting a child is most enjoyable.
Pros
Fantastic benefits, supporting families and children
Cons
Same salery 10 years