Allegheny Lutheran Social Ministries Employee Reviews

Syressful environment with chaotic upper management team.
Director (Former Employee) –  HollidsysbirgNovember 7, 2017
The original healthcare ministries of Allegheny Lutheran must have, at one time been wonderful. Upper management is demanding and unfair and the work hours are atrocious for middle level managers. Sadly, for a Christian company, there does not seem to be a genuine care for the employees, resulting in high turnover.
Pros
Decent pay, beautiful facilities
Cons
Many citations, unreasonable upper level management, little concern for employee satisfaction or work life balance.
Really not a good place to work.
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAAugust 3, 2016
I am regretting coming here. Already looking elsewhere. Pay is better elsewhere. Not sure it can be any worse anywhere else. The grass is greener somewhere else....my warning to you all. Too much office politics. They have had a ton of health complaints over the past year and administrators or clinical don't stay. They put your license in jeopardy.
Pros
It's a pretty place
Cons
Administration, health surveys, nobody gets along
Disgraceful administration
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMarch 29, 2016
I worked at ALSM Johnstown for several years. Putting in my two weeks notice and quitting there was the most difficult decision I've ever had to make.This was my home away from home. The residents are the very best and I treated them like my own family, every single one of them. Unfortunately, not everyone there had that same compassion, or even a fraction of it.

Christian like values, as in ALSM's mission statement, are nonexistent in the administration all the way through HR.

Administration and office politics have ran that place into the ground. Let the near 20 Department of Health citations in the past 8 months speak for themselves.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Administration and lack of ethics
Terrible DON and Administrator, HR is no help.
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 15, 2016
I was an LPN at ALSM Johnstown for 8 years. After reporting various important problems to DON, Admin, and then HR, along with my fear of retaliation, nothing was done to fix the problems, even after 18 citations by the state. Eventually, I began to get called into the office for numerous problems/mistakes that had nothing to do with me. The DON even instructed several RNs that they were NOT allowed to sign my overtime slips. I had started to apply and interview at other facilities, but was fired before I could put my 2 weeks notice in.
I loved working at ALSM, until the current batch of administration came.
Very heartbreaking...
Shame on you, ALSM.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Administration politics
D.O.N. was a nightmare
c.n.a. (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAFebruary 7, 2016
I worked there close to a year as a C.N.A. I loved working there. I minded my own business,I did my job and helped anyone who asked. I witnessed a situation that as a C.N.A. I by law had to report.Because that aide was best friends with the D.O.N. from that day forward she made my life miserable. Almost on a daily basis I was being pulled into her office and being accused of situations that I didn't even know about.If it had been any other co worker I could have filed a harassment charge and won easily, however a cna cannot charge a don with harassment. So regretfully I put in my 2 weeks and left. How can it be a Christian facility when the devil incarnate is the director of nursing.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks Easy residents to care for
Cons
Horrible D.O.N. nasty mean unchristian person
Ok but difficult upper management
nurse (Former Employee) –  Johnstown,PAMarch 28, 2015
Upper management very difficult to work with a lower pay scale. Nice hands on staff CNAS,LPNS and RNS. Good to residents but to work for new upper management is very difficult. I have been gone a few months and hear that it is only getting worse.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
difficult management
Was a good place to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Claysburg, Altoona, Johnstown, DuBoisFebruary 10, 2015
ALSM was a great company to work for until they decided to cut everyones hours from 35-40 hours to under 29 hours a week because they dont want to offer health insurance. They are losing people that have worked there for years, people who have done everything they could to keep the company running and they dont even care that they are losing these great workers. I can gurantee that once these workers leave, they will also lose their clients which will probably shut the child care program down. I dont know how Christian like this is but the company isnt being Christians at all.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
No benefits, Pay is low, Under 29 hours a week
busy place to work
CNA (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAMay 21, 2014
very busy place to work time just flew by, working together was a must had to be a team player
Pros
there was always work available
Cons
Caring and quality place to work. Wonderful management and staff
Executive Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAJuly 5, 2012
I worked for Allegheny Lutheran Social Ministries for almost 7 years. They were seven of the best years of my career. I learned so much from my Executive Team Colleagues and my Leadership Team Colleagues. This organization is an organization that was mediocre an by the time I left the organization was the cutting edge in so many areas. Great team with a clear vision as to where they want to be and how they want their programs to operate. Employees have a say in the operations in a positive way, and the residents are provided with excellent care. This organization care about people. Whether they are residents, family members, friends, or employees, this company is here to help people. Worked with two of the mnost intelligent people in the industry at the Executive Team Level. The President/CEO, Patricia W. Savage Werner Ph.D and Christopher Reighard, VP of Finance and IT
Pros
very much a learning organization
Cons
the travel back and forth - 3 hour commute daily