Allegheny Valley School

Allegheny Valley School Employer Reviews

Working at Alleghengy
House Manager Aide (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 14, 2015
I like the work that I did for this company. I have always helped people every since I was a child. I did not want to leave this company but do to circumstances out of my control they let me go after eight years. I do believe they should have tried to keep me.
It is always fun especially realizing how much assistance you are able to give to those who desperately need them and show appreciation.
House Manager Aide (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2015
basic living support is provided to individuals with mental retardation enabling them to live an independent life. They are fed, clothed, bathed and supervised. I enjoyed helping those who are less fortunate in society. though at times it is not easy dealing with behaviors issues.
Campus Style Setting
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee), Coraopolis, PAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: flexable schedule, benefits
Cons: no opportunity for advancement, repetativeness of job duties
RN Case Manager for a caseload of 37 individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities. Required to work as part of an Interdisciplinary team and individually. Best part of the job is the ability to meet some amazing individuals who reside at the facility.
nature vs. nurture
LPN Supervisor/Case Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 28, 2015
Everything changed when the company was bought out by another company. Rules and regulations were not including clients needs any longer. Politics vs. client care. Also work vs. compensation was inadequate.
makeing your worker feel like its home
Housekeeper/Laundry Room (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Cons: short brakes
Coming to work clocking in on time and having the supervisor or managers complements you on cumin on time.Have good co worker that fun outgoing and that work like me.The hardest part of my job is moving thing over 60, 70 pounds even if it takes 2 persons. And at the end of the day the most enjoyable part of the day is when i clock- out.
Work Place
Direct Care Aide (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 11, 2014
When i start my shift, I check and change my clients, I gotta pick their outfit out for the next day, and clean up. I learned to not take life for granted because their are people that need help 24 hrs a day. The hardest part of my job is when residents get older or sick and they pass on. You get close to the clients at my work. The most enjoyable part of my job is when you see the residents faces light up when you give them one on one attention. Another enjoyable moment is when you can see they appreciate when you change their brief because they messed on themselves and they cant do nothing about it.
A place where you can actually make a difference...
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee), Beaver, PAOctober 23, 2014
At AVS you get to actually make a difference in the lives of mentally and physically disabled clients. I love that I get to make a difference with the clients I work with. I get to help them with everyday activities, such as: ADLs, cooking, going out into the community, and many other things.
A typical day at work for me includes 16 hours on the job 8 hours off to go home and sleep then 16 hours again, but then I'm off for 5 days straight. I only work weekends (Saturdays and Sundays). My schedule includes 7:00 am - 11:00 pm with 2 half hour breaks.
The clients normally sleep until 9:30 am. Then they get washed up and dressed for the day. We then cook brunch and pass any medications that the clients need. After brunch, we clean up the kitchen and start doing daily household cleaning. Some of the clients can help with household cleaning and some cannot. The time frame always depends on who can help and who cannot. If you have 4 clients and 2 staff but 2 of the clients cannot help, then a staff member will have to sit out on the household cleaning and do person-appropriate activities with the clients that cannot help.
After cleaning is done, they normally watch a movie, listen to music, do activities, or take naps. Dinner is most often served at 5:00 pm so preparation generally starts at 3:00 pm, depending on the meal.
Then after dinner, we pass medications that need passed, assist the clients with showering and getting dressed for bed. Then they get a snack around 8:00 pm. And most generally the clients start to go to bed around 9:30 pm. After the clients are in bed, we do laundry, fill out paperwork for the entire day and check each others work in books and we have to double check medication passes.
job
House Manager Aide (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: clients were good
Cons: did not like staff
Was ok I liked the clients very well. I have nothing more to say about this job.
A Day With AVS
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee), Crafton, PAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: i love the interaction with the clients
Cons: i work a second shift and woul prefer first/ third shift
My day typically starts with check an dchanging of all clients. Staff will then began our daily activites as well as our goals that are to be carried out by our clients. About 4 pm staff will then asssist clients with dinner. After dinner we would proceed to prepare everyone for bath/ bedtime. Once ever client is in bed, staff will complete any and all documents for the day including Avatri.
Home Health Aide
House Manager Aide (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 14, 2014
I currently work the overnight shift. I look after my clients during the night. I clean up the house. I take them to the bathroom through out the night. I enjoy working with my co-workers. we work together to make sure the home is safe and secure and that the clients are well taking care off.

I have learned to be more compassionate, patient and understanding while working with my clients that are individuals with developmental disabilities.

I enjoy seeing the smile on my clients face when they see me when i walk through the door. Its also enjoyable to know that I am helping someone less fortunate.
excellent place.
House Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Trevose, PAJune 30, 2014
Pros: clients
Cons: money
i missed and love my coworkers and clients, and missed the company
direct care
House Manager Aide/Program Instructor-Interim (Former Employee), Hummelstown, PAJune 16, 2014
This position involved direct care to individuals with developmental disabilities. The best part of this position was having direct contact with the individuals. I was a part of an inter-disciplinary team whom together developed goals and followed the progress of each individual. I was able to watch the individuals grow and develop new skills: personally, vocationally, and socially.
love working here
House Manager Aide (Current Employee), 6315 Lawnton avenueJune 9, 2014
pick up clients from workshop go on an outing come home start to prepare dinner and playing board games
Long and hard day.
Habilitation Worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 12, 2014
Providing individuals with developmental disabilities with assistance for independent living within their homes and in the community. The hardest part lifting them from the wheel chair
Its about the people we help but its not
Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2014
Pros: it was a job
Cons: management, staff, pay
When you start working at NHS/AVS they tell you its about the clients. You feel rewarding when you get to help others that need help, but you soon find yourself in a nightmare. Most of management is clueless. They let trouble staff get off the hook over and over. Only a handful of the better workers keep that place running. Attendance policy is a joke, staff with over 30 call offs in one year time still have a job. Employee moral is -100 on a chart from 0-10. Most of the employees working have enough reasons to be let go but they aren't. They cause trouble with the rest of the good staff on a daily basis. The Job itself isn't bad, just the people you work with. Your underpay and NHS keep finding ways to take away from your benefit package. Training is reduced to read this paper and sign, while a manager is hovering over you making you rush so they can turn it in asap.
The benefits are phenomenal
House Manager Aide (Current Employee), Slippery Rock, PAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: benefits package, ample paid time off, rather inexpensive health insurance, understanding house managers
Cons: work load, lack of trained staff, no pay raises
I enjoy what I do very much with my clients in the group homes. I have learned so much from them and their daily struggles with trying to complete what one may consider a simple task. The amount of work expected from myself and my coworkers is a bit too much, as most in the healthcare industry. There are a lot of things to do in a short period of time and sometimes it seems unfeasible. The benefits package I have is rather great, I get more than fair healthcare and I also receive a generous amount of paid days off a year, which is greatly appreciated in such a high stress environment. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the individuals triumph through their struggles and celebrate with them in their success, this would have to be my favorite aspect of working for Allegheny Valley Schools.
Assistant Apartment Manager
Assistant Apartment Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 22, 2014
I enjoyed the ever day interaction with the clients, I like you had a routine and the shift went really fast.
My Review
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee), Middletown, PAFebruary 7, 2014
My responsibilities and daily tasks consists of taking care of the residents daily needs such as
grooming, personal hygiene, dressing, feeding, etc. I prepared them for their day and activities
that they would be doing. My daily tasks with the residents also included, taking them on
appointments and outings. I also was involved with their family members often.
Not enough communication or leadership
House Manager Aide (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2014
Managment is the biggest problem here and the fact they go against everything they stand for surprise they are still operational.
Busy
House Manager Aide (Current Employee), Slippery RockJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: the people you help.
Cons: everything else.
There is no such thing as a typical day at this company when you walk through the door you never know what your going be greeted with. This company used to be great but now your tried as if your a robot you have to find your own coverage if you want days off health insurance doesn't cover much and if you don't watch your pay checks you maybe losing money. Co-workers can be nice but watch yourself a lot of people have lost their jobs over positions cause a co-worker set them up to fail which is quite common. And I'd have to say the hardest and the most enjoyable part about this job is the clients. After a small amount of time they become like family. But at the same time you can't really treat them like family.

1 2 3