Allegheny Valley School Employee Reviews

Assistance from coworkers
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Yardley, PAJune 14, 2017
Living and working in the same place was extremely hard. I didn't have an assistant so I was on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was responsible for training new employees and overseeing every aspect of daily life for 6 developmentally challenging individuals.
Pros
I had a home for my children in a safe environment
Cons
little room for advancement, no real pay increases.
Worst place I ever worked at
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Trevose, PAMay 26, 2017
No Job security. Management only follows policies when it pertains to them getting out of trouble. Always mandating staff to stay extra shifts. The culture of the job is unprofessional.
benefits
Cons
Lack of job security
Always room to move around.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAApril 17, 2017
I have worked here off and on for many years. Some of the staff are only there for a pay check and don't do it for the clients. You have to be a different kind of person to be able to work with these clients. I love it!!
I loved this place.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Slippery Rock, PAApril 10, 2017
This job taught me alot caring for people with mental disabilities. I learned patience and how to drive a big bus around. Learned how to cook healthier. And grow and get attached to ones that need you most. Great job.
Pros
Driving shopping cooking and cleaning for residents of home.
Cons
Got to have a license no matter what.
nice co-workers
Habilitation Worker/Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAApril 4, 2017
Allegheny Valley Schools has a high turnover ratio. Allegheny Valley Schools uses Temp. Agency to cover daily work schedules. I was employed for 7 months. The worst job ever, glad to not be there.
Poor Management/ Nurses Not Appreciated/ Poor Pay Rate
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAMarch 15, 2017
Excessive workload with little pay. Supervisors gossip about their employees to other co-workers. No appreciation for anything. No teamwork within the nursing department. Supervisors are unfair and play favoritism. Very unprofessional behaviors within the nursing department. Director of nursing does not fight for her nurses for fair or proper pay. You are not taken seriously when you go to administration/ Director of nursing with company/department concerns. You are forced to take lunch breaks that you are not paid for but you end up working through them due to fear of write ups for not taking the break. This company could care less if they lose your employment because everyone is replaceable to them.
Pros
The individuals you care for.
Cons
The work environment.
Very rewarding working with the individuals
House Manager Aide (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PA 15108March 14, 2017
work can be stressful but given right working conditions and staff that communicates properly it can be rewarding and enjoyable. Takes patience and compassion to care for IDD individuals.
Productive and fun workplace
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Allegheny Valley School has been the best experience of my life. Working with such individuals has allowed me to see the positive in every situation. I enjoyed my time here. The work place holds a fun and productive atmosphere.
Pros
The ability to impact clients lives
Cons
not enough parking
Walking on egg shells
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAFebruary 7, 2017
Working for this company is like walking on egg shells; You never know if they are going to write you up or fire you for something minor. The work-life balance is nonexistent. If someone on the next shift calls off, you HAVE to stay another eight hours or you are fired. They do not have enough staff because either they were either fired, or the lucky ones quit. The only benefit of this job was the actual job itself of working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and knowing you make a difference.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
short breaks, company, management
Not a bad company for someone starting out in BHSS field.
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 26, 2017
Good company for someone just starting out in the BHSS field. Good for hands on experience working one on one with individuals with special needs. I enjoyed taking care of and interacting with the residends.
Mostly good place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAJanuary 4, 2017
Typical day starts with assessments of individuals at different locations. Documentation occurs mostly through out the day. Very fulfilling job that requires a lot of patience. Management is wonderful. Co-workers are supportive. Hardest part of the job is the driving to different locations and also lack of advanced computer technology (still paper charting). The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the different individuals.
Nursing
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hummelstown, PANovember 23, 2016
Compensation is fair for the amount of work involved. Positive and fun work environment. The residents are the main reason I enjoy working here. Nurses have less authority compared to other facilities.
Pros
Working with IDD population
Cons
Management could be improved
Producitve, and fun
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at my job is easy going. I have learned from this job how to work with different cultures. Management skills can be better with communication. My co-workers are amazing, fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is when no one communications about the individuals. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming o work and satisfying my individuals.
good working place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 20, 2016
creative and fun workplace, good relationship, good management, hardworking co-workers, working with new employees, outing with the individuals.
Pros
eat with guys when we go for lunch or dinner
Cons
working under staff
Amazing Residents
Home Health Aide/Direct Care (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAJuly 12, 2016
I learned a lot while working here. This was probably my favorite job and I enjoyed taking care of my residents. I worked first shift, which was always fast-paced and kept me on my toes.
Good intentions poor execution
HMA (Current Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAJune 26, 2016
Good work setting and staff
Poor management and handling of staff.
More insensitives could be offered
And more truthful description of the residents would be helpful when applying.
a fun, supportive environment
Recreation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2016
A fun place to work. The clientele is amiable and enjoy the activities offered to them for the most part. There is a willingness to participate and there is solid support from staff and administration in the areas involving art and expressive therapies.
Pros
good staff, supportive administration
Cons
travel time, minimal funding for necessary supplies
Working with the disabled
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAFebruary 25, 2016
My daily tasks included but were not limited to; help dressing and washing the residents. Helping to feed them, make sure the paperwork was handled properly, exercise with them, and helping them learn everyday tasks.
producitve and fun work place, something that has the potential to be long term.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day at work is something that usually can go really well. Like any other job they all have their bad and good days. What I've learned from working at Allegheny Valley School is to always be more patient with co workers as well as the clients and to always keep good positive spirits and that the clients are the main focus of what the job is about. There are not really many things that was hard about the job, I can honestly say that the job was fairly simple and easy there just has to always be a constant routine to remember that sometimes people forget. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work and interact with the clients, they bring the bright side out of many and to have that type of affect on others speaks volumes. I really enjoy working at AVS.
Pros
Benefits, Overtime hours, weekends off
Cons
short of staff. Minor things being made an issue, unwillingness to appreciate employees.
Human Services Organization
House Manager Aide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2015
It was my honor to be a part of an organization that provides such a service and gives back to the community. To this day, it is the work I am most proud of.