Allegheny Valley School Employee Reviews in United States

producitve and fun work place, something that has the potential to be long term.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day at work is something that usually can go really well. Like any other job they all have their bad and good days. What I've learned from working at Allegheny Valley School is to always be more patient with co workers as well as the clients and to always keep good positive spirits and that the clients are the main focus of what the job is about. There are not really many things that was hard about the job, I can honestly say that the job was fairly simple and easy there just has to always be a constant routine to remember that sometimes people forget. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work and interact with the clients, they bring the bright side out of many and to have that type of affect on others speaks volumes. I really enjoy working at AVS.
Pros
Benefits, Overtime hours, weekends off
Cons
short of staff. Minor things being made an issue, unwillingness to appreciate employees.
Producitve, and fun
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at my job is easy going. I have learned from this job how to work with different cultures. Management skills can be better with communication. My co-workers are amazing, fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is when no one communications about the individuals. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming o work and satisfying my individuals.
a fun, supportive environment
Recreation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2016
A fun place to work. The clientele is amiable and enjoy the activities offered to them for the most part. There is a willingness to participate and there is solid support from staff and administration in the areas involving art and expressive therapies.
Pros
good staff, supportive administration
Cons
travel time, minimal funding for necessary supplies
This company needs a lot of work
House Manager Aide. Care for IDD (Former Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAJuly 8, 2015
There is no stability, they stretch people beyond what they should. They don't give raises to anyone at any time. There is no room for improvement. And all in all this company makes you feel like you are in high school again.
Amazing Residents
Home Health Aide/Direct Care (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAJuly 12, 2016
I learned a lot while working here. This was probably my favorite job and I enjoyed taking care of my residents. I worked first shift, which was always fast-paced and kept me on my toes.
Good intentions poor execution
HMA (Current Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAJune 26, 2016
Good work setting and staff
Poor management and handling of staff.
More insensitives could be offered
And more truthful description of the residents would be helpful when applying.
The benefits are phenomenal
House Manager Aide (Current Employee) –  Slippery Rock, PAMarch 11, 2014
I enjoy what I do very much with my clients in the group homes. I have learned so much from them and their daily struggles with trying to complete what one may consider a simple task. The amount of work expected from myself and my coworkers is a bit too much, as most in the healthcare industry. There are a lot of things to do in a short period of time and sometimes it seems unfeasible. The benefits package I have is rather great, I get more than fair healthcare and I also receive a generous amount of paid days off a year, which is greatly appreciated in such a high stress environment. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the individuals triumph through their struggles and celebrate with them in their success, this would have to be my favorite aspect of working for Allegheny Valley Schools.
Pros
benefits package, ample paid time off, rather inexpensive health insurance, understanding house managers
Cons
work load, lack of trained staff, no pay raises
Campus Style Setting
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAFebruary 9, 2015
RN Case Manager for a caseload of 37 individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities. Required to work as part of an Interdisciplinary team and individually. Best part of the job is the ability to meet some amazing individuals who reside at the facility.
Pros
flexable schedule, benefits
Cons
no opportunity for advancement, repetativeness of job duties
Working with the disabled
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAFebruary 25, 2016
My daily tasks included but were not limited to; help dressing and washing the residents. Helping to feed them, make sure the paperwork was handled properly, exercise with them, and helping them learn everyday tasks.
Avs
HOUSE MANAGER AIDE (Current Employee) –  Moon, PANovember 17, 2015
I enjoy taking care of my clients. I can see a difference in them when I come in that gives me a great deal of pride. management could be better at some houses and the program center needs more management that has worked as an HMA because they have no appreciation.
Pros
clients
Cons
co workers, pay

Want to know more about Allegheny Valley School?

Ask a question
nature vs. nurture
LPN Supervisor/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 28, 2015
Everything changed when the company was bought out by another company. Rules and regulations were not including clients needs any longer. Politics vs. client care. Also work vs. compensation was inadequate.
An intense highly skilled for the profound mentally & physically ill.
ASST. APARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2013
A very sad place to work in. They specialize in intense care for individuals who need specialized medical care. Extremely taxing both physically and mentally as the majority of the individuals are children and will not improve but decline and expire at different rates.
Pros
the benefits were great as was the distance to and from work
Cons
the extreme physical and mental fatigue affects the quality of life.
Human Services Organization
House Manager Aide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2015
It was my honor to be a part of an organization that provides such a service and gives back to the community. To this day, it is the work I am most proud of.
Good learning experience for MH/MR
LPN (Former Employee) –  Slipery Rock, PAMay 20, 2015
Typical day was hectic, not like normal nursing, things done differently due to state regulations and dealing with MR. Management was/is a joke, and most of the co-workers were ok if they paid attention to what they were shown and did it appropriately. Hardest part of the job was trying to get your own work completed while dealing with various situations that arose on a daily basis, answering staff questions, attending appointments, staff medication errors, and always working short staffed. Very High Turnover. Most rewarding was the clients, getting to become part of their daily routine and family to some that had none of their own.
Pros
clients, good learning experience in dealing with MH/MR
Cons
no pay advances, high turn over, NHS
The job was ok.
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PANovember 20, 2015
The job was ok. MOST staff and supervisors were helpful and friendly. The company within itself can be a lot better. I probably would not return or recommend this job for someone.
its was fun working there
House Manager Aide (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2015
It was good I enjoyed worked there getting meet people everyday and having the to learn to work some of the stations some of the managers was ok to work with and for
Good entry level company for IDD
House Manager Aide/LPN (Former Employee) –  Telford, PAOctober 13, 2015
Good company to get your feet wet with. I worked here for 4 years and learned alot, however, was ready to advance and needed to move on.
Needs Improvement
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PASeptember 18, 2015
I understand the challenges that comes along with working in that atmosphere, but this place was below my expectations. It was understaffed and lacked leadership. The employees that they did have needed more guidance.
New company buyout and no room for advancement.
House Manager Aid (HMA) (Current Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAAugust 23, 2012
The company was bought out 2 years ago and has completely changed. There have been many jobs lost and the quality of care for the individuals we serve has been affected. There is also no room for advancement. I learned about management, direct care, medicine administration, OT/PT, state regulations, ect. over the last 12 years in many areas of the health care field. I love working with individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The hardest part of my job is seeing the individuals decline. I have also been blessed to work with many good people.
Cons
wages, company buyout, no room for advancement.
productive work style
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2015
Assist nursing staff with the daily support and care of cognitively and developmentally disabled adolescent and young adults.

Provide individualized care and assistance for client’s with specialized medical needs including tracheostomies, feeding tubes and respiratory/ventilator dependence.

Perform EKG testing and provide assistance to nursing staff in preparation of client treatments, procedures and exams

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allegheny Valley School. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8