Alliant Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Good Employer
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 22, 2016
Alliant Energy is a good place to work. Benefits are comparable to others in the market place. The hardest part about working here are the limited growth opportunities. It is difficult to find opportunities in new work areas. A lot of contractors are hired in place of employees, limiting opportunities to gain knowledge about other aspects of the utility. Parking is an ongoing issue, and the cost is relatively high. The company does provide a small stipend to help cover the some of the cost, but the process of receiving the stipend can be a nuance.
Pros
Good pay; Comparable benefits
Cons
Parking; Lack of growth opportunities
Micro-managed
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 16, 2016
Management does not appear to have trust in their employees. Very controlling environment. I have learned a lot about the utility industry. The co-workers all have a general consensus of the management style but it is one of the few places to work in the community that pays a decent wage and has good benefits.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
constant micro management
Great place to work and learn
Gas Business Development Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAApril 5, 2016
Given lots of opportunity to learn new things. Bonuses paid when company did well. Lots of diversity in the work I did. Great employees and co-workers. Encourages and pays you to be healthy. Big focus on safety at work and at home.
Pros
Focus on Safety, Bonuses, Co-workers are great, Enjoyed every day I worked.
Great opportunities to develop though few opportunities to advance
Billing Analyst / Billing Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 18, 2016
I was provided many opportunities to take part in training and classes to develop my professional abilities which I greatly enjoyed and appreciated. Alliant does not hesitate to invest in the development of its employees. However, advancement and opportunity are highly dependent upon your supervisor and where they feel they need you to be rather than what is in the best interest of your desired career path.
Pros
Developmental Opportunities
Cons
Must pay for parking
Good pay, terrible place
Customer Service Assoiciate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 9, 2016
The pay is great but management/culture/ job is horrible. People who have been here 20+ years are looking to get out. The stress is so bad people cry DAILY, management just tells them, and I quote "shut up".
Pros
pay
Cons
micromanaged, poor communication, horrible union
Well compensated with nice work/life balance
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAJanuary 21, 2016
I worked for Alliant Energy for 14 years and was well compensated for my efforts. I really enjoyed working with my assigned customers, helping to save them money by conserving energy. Please be aware that Alliant Energy is a shrinking company (my job was recently eliminated) as you consider your options.
Pros
Great compensation packages
Cons
Job security
Operations Administrative Assistant
Administration Assistant, Phone (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 4, 2016
Given the freedom to organize your day to get your tasks done. Support is there if needed. Several advancement opportunities. Higher beginning pay than most companies in the area. Amazing benefits and culture of safety.
Pros
Safe environment, smart management, great employees
Cons
Early hours
Knowledgeable staff, conducive environment for learning
Administration Assistant, Phone (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 1, 2016
Partial autonomy to prioritize my days in accordance to what needs to be done. A bit of micromanaging from my direct higher up. Great bonus and personal days given almost right away.
Who's on first? One hand not knowing what the other is doing
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 30, 2015
Total lack of training available for new employees. If you want to be thrown to the wolves, this is the place. Everyone is paranoid about losing their jobs. Company is totally insecure. They believe they are big players in the industry and don't even come close. Very poor management.
Pros
There aren't any pros.
Cons
Keep your resume up to date.
Wonderful company to work for
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIDecember 10, 2015
They are the best company I have ever worked for. They care about you as a person. They taught me so much and really wanted to invest in their employees. Coworkers were great to work with and experienced. Their compensation package was OUTSTANDING!
Pros
EVERYTHING
Cons
NOTHING
Executive Administrative Assistant support for 6 years and Administrative Assistant for 5 years
Executive Administrative Assistant & Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaSeptember 25, 2015
Schedule meetings and appointments, take minutes at meetings, maintain calendars, transcribe and complete dictation, handle emails, make travel arrangements and handle filing, and using MS Office, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet. Learned about Partnering with Boss: Strategic Skills for Administrative Professionals and Star Path Courses in Managing Challenging Relationships, Working Styles and Coaching Skills. Assisted Vice President for 6 years and Managers for 5 years and co-workers for all 11 years. Very committed to life-long learning and skills related to duties.
Pros
Available receptionist to help with duties
Many opportunities
Data Acquisition-Data Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 10, 2015
My job was the best. There was so much going on there wasn't time to get bored. My day consisted of a multitude of duties requiring shifting gears multiple times throughout the day. The hardest part of the job was prioritizing tasks. The best part of working for Alliant Energy was their flexibility.
Pros
Many learning opportunities
Cons
Workload was unmanageable at times.
very good place to work
Manager of Substation Construction and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IASeptember 30, 2015
offered early retirement would like to continue working in the electric utility industry or construction environment with a utility contractor or electric cooperative. Experienced as journey lineman and senior manager for transmission, distribution and substation.
Unhealthy workplace
DDCW Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 11, 2015
did not seem to fit in well with other employees and management. Felt as if no help was provided to me once issues were raised regarding company wide problems with management and fellow employees.
Comtemporary, yet changing, company to work for.
assistant plant operator (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IowaJuly 5, 2015
Alliant Energy is a good company to work for. Management has always treated me with consideration and a willingness to accommodate whenever possible. Most of my experiences associated with Alliant are pleasant ones. Made many new friends while there and learned much. There is plenty of room to grow with that company provided your willing of learn.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Many places desiring 12 hour work shifts
Great place to work at
Sr. Business System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 13, 2015
Alliant Energy had initiated the IT Operations Repository/Data Collection project to gather requirements, and replace their legacy Lotus Notes Apps Database to enhance their business processes. The goals of the project were to establish one IT process for all Legacy Application currently used at Alliant Energy. The applications classified as IT Portfolios was scoped in by client for migration to suites of software tools provided by Alfabet-Planning IT. As a BSA, I was responsible to define the system and business functionality that was available with in Planning IT. The scope of the phase included to produce use cases inventory and data requirement for the development of Planning-IT from scenarios submitted on SharePoint by all stakeholders.
Fast paced and energenic daily routine
Customer Service Senior Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 19, 2015
Have a energetic routine to encourage the CSR's to be positive and inviting to customers. Train reps to handle difficult situations and bring a good outcome to every situation. Handle multiple emergency situations that are life threatening under a controlled stressful environment.
Pros
nice work schedule, and friendly faces
Cons
stressful situations and not taking it personnel
Job Security
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Fort Madison, IAFebruary 3, 2015
You are not important, just the company's numbers. Management do not care about the well-being of the meter-readers at this company. A typical day at work involves fighting off dogs and battling the elements of mother of nature. If you get hurt or bit, you're fired! If you have an accident, you're fired! Management create exigent circumstances by demanding a set quota of meters read (500) and every meter read, even if there are hazards present.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
dogs, weather, management
Fun, Challenging, Progressive work place
Field engineer (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IAJanuary 19, 2015
I typical day includes creating designs and work orders for crews. I answer a lot of emails, I meet with customers, handle complaints, and discuss work to be done with them. I have learned how to use different interfaces and design software. I have learned how to prioritize and refine my organizational skills. The work culture is a lot of fun, and well managed. The mot enjoyable part of the job is learning new things and working with others to accomplish goals. the hardest part of the job is learning so many things in a short period of time.
Pros
great benifits, great pay, very friendly people.
Cons
mostly a desk job
Core Values
Supervisor - Customer Support Center/Billing (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 15, 2015
Alliant has excellent core values and it is great to work for a company that provides a great working environment for their employees with the ability to grow and move up in your career.