Alliant Energy Employee Reviews

Change Needed
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 11, 2017
There are good intentions to move with the times, but lack of strong leadership and direction in certain areas are hindering this initiative. Fortunately/unfortunately the company has many long term employees who are unwilling to embrace change and seem to have a free pass to get away with their behaviors which creates a huge challenge for those people on board. They obviously treat employees well to keep many there for years. The need for system updates and move away from manual processes and work around system fixes will only continue to burn out and frustrate dedicated employees. Great benefits with mostly enjoyable people.
Friendly staff, easy to work with
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 14, 2017
Would recommend anyone looking for a job to apply here. Eastyyou work with and staff is very friendly and willing to help you out at anything needed.
Learned alot at work
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 2, 2017
My management is very supportive and encourages every worker working in the company and maintains friendly nature with the employees.
My co-workers are very compitative and sportive at work
Business Model Challenges
Manager, Project Management (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 7, 2016
No two days were every the same. Relationships will make or break your career within the company.

Opportunities are where you find them
Good Place to Intern
Human Resources Intern - HR Service Center (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 30, 2016
I really enjoyed my time in my internship with Alliant Energy, good company to work for with a good culture. Lots of opportunity to get involved.
Relief plant operator (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IASeptember 29, 2016
Alliant is a great place to work, serious about safety, and making sure you have the right tools to do the job. Training is great as, as I have been diverse in the company with my career, I'm looking to advance, closer to home.
Pros
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited
Billing Analyst Position
Billing Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 24, 2016
I processed monthly billing for large general service customers. This was a manual priocess as each customer's billing was unique for their operations.

I also was the the one responsible for non-utility billing, done daily. The billing for services provided, such as overhead service cabling, underground service cabling, replacement of utility poles, etc., could not be billed on a customer's utility bill, therefore an auxiliary billing system was used. I also maintained this system for the accounts receivable department; I processed many monthly reports for not only accounting, but for various inter-company departments.

I trained billing representatives for the Billing Department. I would conduct reviews of the representatives, monthly, to determine the accuracy and timeliness of their duties performed.

I tested and analyzed new and existing billing processes. Many times would create or modify these process instructions.

I was member of many Lean Six Sigma projects; some of these projects I was the Lead member. I completed the LSS Green Belt training.
great benefits
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Centerville, IAJuly 31, 2016
This company offers great benefits and very flexible hours and a stimulating work environment. They do lots of good in their community. Each call is different and makes it exciting you never know what you will get when you pic up that next call
Pros
salary
Cons
working late in the evenings
Enter at your own risk
Midlevel corporate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 21, 2016
Alliant Energy has gone down hill fast in the last seven years. Unqualified. inexperienced mid-level managers have ravaged the company. Poor business and hiring/firing decisions have left this place a shadow of what it used to be. There are people without college degrees managing people with masters degrees. Pay isn't competitive. Benefits are mediocre.

The environment isn't progressive or tolerant of diversity - no matter what HR purports. Female managers often step on the necks of younger female workers to keep them down - going so far as to tell them not to wear certain shades of lipstick, heels or dresses (even professional dresses) to work, as they might be distracting. Non-traditional hair color is discouraged. Open toe shoes discouraged. Jeans on Fridays were recently taken away.

Depending on the department you are in, your experience will either be good or bad. But you won't know until you are hired. If it's bad, don't expect anyone in HR to come to your aid. Complaints are not resolved, no matter the seriousness. Expect to be watched at all times, your actions reported to your manager (time on your phone, time in the bathroom, etc.). People have been talked to about bathroom time. If you arrive 5 minutes early or leave 5 minutes late, it will be noticed.

You will be expected to be on your laptop at home and on weekends - they can tell. No matter the profits, the motto is the same: do more with less. Most departments have been whittled down to a skeleton crew. You will be run ragged. And when you finally trip up, you will be fired for failing.

One last
  more... thing - if you are let go for any reason, you will not be allowed to use anyone from Alliant Energy as a reference. It's like being blackballed from the workforce.  less
Pros
Yearly bonuses, internal training opportunities
Cons
Unqualified managers, non-progressive HR policies/department, negative work atmosphere, rampant backstabbing/nepotism, understaffed, too many managers
Good pay, terrible place
Customer Service Assoiciate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 9, 2016
The pay is great but management/culture/ job is horrible. People who have been here 20+ years are looking to get out. The stress is so bad people cry DAILY, management just tells them, and I quote "shut up".
Pros
pay
Cons
micromanaged, poor communication, horrible union
A great company with excellent benefits.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, Elkhorn, Janesville, BeloitMay 2, 2016
Allaint Energy was a great company to work for. I was provided exceptional ongoing training. Their benefit package was a huge part of my compensation.
Great place to work and learn
Gas Business Development Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAApril 5, 2016
Given lots of opportunity to learn new things. Bonuses paid when company did well. Lots of diversity in the work I did. Great employees and co-workers. Encourages and pays you to be healthy. Big focus on safety at work and at home.
Pros
Focus on Safety, Bonuses, Co-workers are great, Enjoyed every day I worked.
Good Employer
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 22, 2016
Alliant Energy is a good place to work. Benefits are comparable to others in the market place. The hardest part about working here are the limited growth opportunities. It is difficult to find opportunities in new work areas. A lot of contractors are hired in place of employees, limiting opportunities to gain knowledge about other aspects of the utility. Parking is an ongoing issue, and the cost is relatively high. The company does provide a small stipend to help cover the some of the cost, but the process of receiving the stipend can be a nuance.
Pros
Good pay; Comparable benefits
Cons
Parking; Lack of growth opportunities
Micro-managed
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 16, 2016
Management does not appear to have trust in their employees. Very controlling environment. I have learned a lot about the utility industry. The co-workers all have a general consensus of the management style but it is one of the few places to work in the community that pays a decent wage and has good benefits.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
constant micro management
Knowledgeable staff, conducive environment for learning
Administration Assistant, Phone (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 1, 2016
Partial autonomy to prioritize my days in accordance to what needs to be done. A bit of micromanaging from my direct higher up. Great bonus and personal days given almost right away.
Well compensated with nice work/life balance
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAJanuary 21, 2016
I worked for Alliant Energy for 14 years and was well compensated for my efforts. I really enjoyed working with my assigned customers, helping to save them money by conserving energy. Please be aware that Alliant Energy is a shrinking company (my job was recently eliminated) as you consider your options.
Pros
Great compensation packages
Cons
Job security
Great opportunities to develop though few opportunities to advance
Billing Analyst / Billing Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 18, 2016
I was provided many opportunities to take part in training and classes to develop my professional abilities which I greatly enjoyed and appreciated. Alliant does not hesitate to invest in the development of its employees. However, advancement and opportunity are highly dependent upon your supervisor and where they feel they need you to be rather than what is in the best interest of your desired career path.
Pros
Developmental Opportunities
Cons
Must pay for parking
Operations Administrative Assistant
Administration Assistant, Phone (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 4, 2016
Given the freedom to organize your day to get your tasks done. Support is there if needed. Several advancement opportunities. Higher beginning pay than most companies in the area. Amazing benefits and culture of safety.
Pros
Safe environment, smart management, great employees
Cons
Early hours
Wonderful company to work for
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIDecember 10, 2015
They are the best company I have ever worked for. They care about you as a person. They taught me so much and really wanted to invest in their employees. Coworkers were great to work with and experienced. Their compensation package was OUTSTANDING!
Cons
Who's on first? One hand not knowing what the other is doing
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 30, 2015
Total lack of training available for new employees. If you want to be thrown to the wolves, this is the place. Everyone is paranoid about losing their jobs. Company is totally insecure. They believe they are big players in the industry and don't even come close. Very poor management.
Pros
There aren't any pros.
Cons
Keep your resume up to date.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alliant Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8