alliantgroup

alliantgroup Employee Reviews

Worst Place I have Ever Worked
Accounting (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours, horrible salary, mental abuse....
I worked for alliantgroup just under a year and it was the most stressful time of my life. I have never been so embarrassed and treated so bad at a job. If you have a family forget seeing them or you will be punished for not being able to work 12-15 hours a day. If you don't wear skirts that just barely cover your butt or are not 25 or under you will get treated badly. The guys that run the company are all egomaniacs that want only brownnosers or pretty young girls to fawn over them. If you make a mistake they will call you out in front everyone to humiliate you. You will be cussed at and disrespected constantly. If you complain then you're a wimp who doesn't believe in the Blue A culture! It is the worst environment ever! I hated pulling up there everyday! I felt like I was working in the movie Mean Girls! I was so happy to get out and have a normal job again.
Run Run Run
Project Manager - Energy Incentives (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 3, 2014
Pros: lots of work to do. if you work less then 60-hrs a week you're not in good shape.
Cons: no work life balance, benefits are below industry standard.
While the company will say metric's are what matters, many managers will tell you they don't and it is all about perception.
Not a place to build a career, with few exceptions.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
Pros: build some important career skills
Cons: no long-term career potential, work you way too hard, little recognition, challenging office politics, unpleasant culture
I'll start with the benefits of working here. One of them is there have been some very intelligent people at alliantgroup (though these individuals have high turnover) Another is that the work itself is quite interesting and the approach taken by the firm is a strong one. If you are a woman, especially an attractive one, you will find that doors open quickly for you. If you are a man, doors may open for you too if your personality matches that of "management".

Besides this, the work environment is depressing, you do not feel like a valuable asset to the company, employees are highly disposable, work hours are extraordinarily burdensome for anyone who has a social life outside the office. Management pushes the line on what is appropriate in so many ways in managing staff. Workload is unbelievable during tax seasons. It is not at all uncommon to have a 20 or more cases at the same time. You are there to serve a purpose and are valued so long as that purpose is your priority, make a mistake prioritizing and you rapidly fall from grace. There seems to be an inordinate amount of intra-office conflict between departments and teams. Employees resent each other for superficial reasons. Some employees are incredibly inept and it is infuriating. Corporate culture is highly competitive and critical. To liken the culture to a post-college Fraternity is not too off-base.

Expect to work long hours, consider work your number 1 priority, be micromanaged (including ALL your personal time), and to find yourself wondering when if ever you will get a raise/promotion.
The sky is the LIMIT!
Associate Director (Current Employee), Houston, TexasNovember 10, 2014
Pros: great advancement opportunities! the sky is truly the limit. high performers are rewarded!
Cons: this company requests that everyone strive to be an a+++ performer, but rewards those who strive to be the best, if you are wanting a position to just be mediocre or below average, this is not the place for you
I've been with alliantgroup for several years and can say that the company is an AWESOME place to be a superstar! The company rewards high performers and you have a TON of room for advancement if you work hard and want to succeed. There is no limit on how high you can go here! A great opportunity to interact with various business executives and build relationships!
A great workplace with unlimited opportunity !
Director (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 6, 2014
Pros: excellent training from senior management, wellness program, gym in the building, investment in your career by your manager
Cons: a bit longer work hours during tax season, but this is consistent at all tax firms.
alliantgroup is a fast-paced, dynamic company. This company is best for those who rise above the rest and are willing to invest in their careers. As a growing company, there is a lot of opportunity to advance and develop professional skills. Management provides training and round-tables on a daily / weekly basis to develop management and analytic skills.
Stressful yet rewarding
Admin (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: health insurance, free lunches and other perks
Cons: stressful and heavy workload
Very fast paced environment. Workload is usually very heavy and requires attention to detail. Co-workers are great and always willing to pitch in and help out. There is something new to learn everyday. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress to meet expected goals.
Fast paced and relaxed environment.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 7, 2014
I draft final reports for clients using Microsoft office. I manage the department tracker and communicate with co workers to ensure that all deadlines are met.
Great work. Great pay. Great people.
Project Manager (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJune 28, 2014
Pros: excellent opportunity for advancement, great pay/benefits, team outings
If you want to work for a company that demands high performance and rewards those that excel, then you have found the right place. If you are looking for a 9-5 job and just a paycheck, then you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

I can tell you from experience working at other firms in a variety of industries, that if you truly are ambitious and want to succeed, then alliantgroup is the best place to fast-track your career.

There are clear guidelines for professional advancement. There are excellent benefits, and great people to work with. This is a true meritocracy where you will always get out as much or more than you put in.
Fun, High Performance Culture
Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 28, 2014
Pros: opportunity for growth and advancement, fun, free healthcare
Cons: long hours
I have been with alliantgroup for one year, and have enjoyed every minute of it. As an Associate, I manage a number of client files, collaborating externally with high level executives and internally with attorneys, engineers, and MBA’s. The opportunity to collaborate with smart, ambitious, and diverse individuals on a daily basis keeps things interesting. Each day I may spend time conducting client interviews, analyzing financial documents, calculating credits, or problem solving to reach the right answer for our clients. Every day is different and fast based and there’s never an opportunity for boredom.

The best parts of this position are (1) the people I work with every day and (2) the opportunity to help businesses succeed. Nothing feels better than having your clients call you just to tell you that you’re doing a great job and that they are grateful for all the work that you put in to help them grow their business. It is a rarity to be able to advance your own career while simultaneously being in the service of others. As a project manager, I have the opportunity to help grow an incredible organization and truly impact our clients.

The company also provides a number of perks such as free lunches, free parking, free health insurance, office happy hours,and team outings. Salaries are competitive and there are incredible opportunities for advancing your career. Hours can be long, but this is a client service business, and it varies depending on the time of year. If you’re just looking for a job, this isn’t the place for you. alliantgroup was built by and for ambitious, competitive, self-motivated individuals. The opportunities for advancement are incredible. After only a year, I have had the opportunity to develop new Project Associates and develop management and leadership skills at a pace I never would have expected. There is always an opportunity to step up and push yourself further.
Palace of Micromanagement
Implementation Team - 179D (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 20, 2014
On a positive note, it is true that there are a lot of great people that you will get to work with, and this is due to the recruiters who are excellent and bring in a lot of strong talent. However, this is a must in order to keep the company afloat due to abnormally high turnover. It seems like on a weekly basis various friendly faces disappear and everyone must go about their work pretending that everything is normal. There is a bizarre cult-like atmosphere motivated by fear, but with a relentless fanfare of cheerleading in order to outperform each other. The culture is Work First, and family (along with your life as you knew it) second….a distant second. Work hours are typically 12+ hour days which includes a working lunch. You are expected to travel at the whim of middle management, if your lucky with a few days notice, and sometimes even the same day. If you don’t live in Houston, be prepared to be there for multiple weeks in a row, with travel only on Sundays and even on holidays. Travel, or any other job function that is not billable to a client cannot be during client service hours. Billable hours are your main function, and everything is closely monitored and tracked. There is little room for creativity, as all functions must follow templates and procedures - which one soon realizes they are an easily replaceable cog in a large machine, or assembly line as it was designed to be. All activities no matter what department you are in are closely monitored and scrutinized, with daily rankings of performance distributed to everyone. This works well for them considering that – more... when you gather a large group of performance driven type-A personalities that are motivated by money and pride, and put them against each other, it makes for an interesting dynamic (of which eventually people burn out). What I didn’t find interesting was observing middle management berate individuals publicly during team meetings, in order to encourage “transparency". I realize this is part of the formula to squeeze every last drop of effort from employees, because after all...fear and shame are also great motivators.

My advice to you my friend is do yourself a big favor and look elsewhere for a normal company, with a more well-rounded approach to work and life. – less
Long working hours
Project Manager (Former Employee), Irvine, caMarch 31, 2014
Pros: free food during tsax season
Cons: hours and work-home life balance
Very Competitive and 24/7 working environment. Very low retention for a rapidly growing company.
Stress central
Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: $5.00 lunch, now free lunch b/c of the new building, great city views, relaxed dress code, free health insurance
Cons: if management is having a bad day you will too, hours are terrible- 6:00 pm or later on fridays, company shout out emails, frowned upon 15 minute breaks or lunch breaks, frowned upon having a life outside of work
I currently work here. I have worked here for almost two years. The first 6 months were miserable. I went home upset and stressed almost every day expect Fridays. It's very unfortunate because this could be an amazing place to work. The co-workers, $5 for lunch, now free lunch since we are in the new location, free happy hours, able to wear jeans, these all make for a great positive atmosphere.... But NO. I was offered pennies at the interview, I made more money working full time in college with no degree than what they offered. I said I need and want a job but I can't work for that. They agreed to go up 2k, but I was told that wasn't a favorable request. All in all I stuck With it. Got a 3k raise after one year, but still making pennies (35k). It was frowned upon if I left at 6:00 and took a lunch. Salary plus overtime is great but we are human and need a break. Don't ask to change the work hours, or to leave at 5:00 you will get told you don't believe in the culture. Alliantgroup has a horrid turn over rate. Why can't they respect and make people that are hardworking and dedicated respect? All the pros are superficial. They need to maybe let everyone leave at 5, or not frown upon mediocre things. Most of the people here are young and it's their first job and most of us want to do well and will give you 110% but sometimes we would like may 25% in return. The company is young and has potential to keep these young people here for years, but they do not care enough. There's always another pretty girl just graduating that needs a job. Unfortunate more appreciation can't be shown. I am currently seeking other employment and it will be sad to leave all the wonderful people, not necessarily management.
If you are considering working here, DO NOT DO IT.
Associate (Former Employee), HoustonJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, benifits if you last this long.
Cons: awful managment, long/late hours
I worked for alliantgroup for 3 months. I went above and beyond in my role while at alliantgroup, doing other peoples jobs because they were to lazy or not capable of doing them themselves. One current employee there does not even know how to share a calendar via email. There is absolutely NO work life balance and you will get scolded for leaving "early" leaving early is 6:30PM. Be prepared to eat lunch at your desk most days and be prepared to work while you are on your "break". The upper management is a complete joke and highly self absorbed. Directors who drop the ball will blame others below them so they do not look bad in front of the CEO. Language is used towards you in hopes to intimidate and keep you on egg shells at all times. There is no job security at alliantgroup, they do not value any employee and they will let you go without warning or reason.
Where do I begin...?
Project Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 17, 2013
Pros: somewhat interesting at times
Cons: heavily outweigh the pros
Well, on the bright side I can say that I'm happy that I have a job in this difficult economy. Unfortunately my praise will abruptly end there with regard to working for alliantgroup. I was nervous about working for a company with such a terrible rap online (i.e., ripoff report, employee reviews, negative press, and so on). I needed a job so I hastily accepted a position with this company. I wish I would have held out a little longer because this experience is definitely not worth the low pay, long hours, and utterly atrocious corporate culture. Management will make your life miserable. Plus I've been learning from former alliantgroup employees that after working for alliantgroup your resume will be tainted for the rest of your career. Other companies will view you as a liability. If you are one to ignore all the negative feedback then you will unfortunately learn the hard way like I did.
Bad company culture
Project Associate (Former Employee), Irvine, CADecember 5, 2013
Pros: met some great people within other teams
Worst place I've ever worked. Most staff doesn't last a year.
Horrible Work Enviroment
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: poor culture and horrible managment
I would never recommend my worst enemy to work here.

They will work you into the ground and never give you any respect.

They will treat you like a dog and insult you in front of the whole company to help you become better in their mind.
Joke of a Company
Architecture Associate/Energy Modeler (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: salary with overtime pay included, $5 for lunch everyday
Cons: no professionalism or discipline, crude environment/culture, forced overtime, minimal benefits
I was hired to be an "architecture associate". During the interview process, I was told I would be doing a lot of CAD work, coordinate with engineers, and do some energy modeling. Sounded great because of my experience in architecture, and the pay was better than most firms. Day 1, I learn that there is only about 10% CAD work, the remaining 90% is doing material counts and takeoffs from plans and entering the data into excel spreadsheets. Also, hours were explained to me to be 8:30am to 5:30pm. Sooooooo not the case. Work was until 6:30pm, and if you didn't stay past 7pm, you were harassed and rumors quickly spread. The place runs almost like a sweatshop.

The work environment itself is pretty close to what others have described. Coworkers were CONSTANTLY screwing around, hacking each others emails, nerf guns being shot at each other, food wrappers being thrown, stopping their work almost every 30 minutes to talk across cubicles and halls and being EXTREMELY loud and crude with their language. And we're talking very attractive women dropping the f-bomb and other curse words that would make any man blush.

Blessing in disguise. Worked for 3 months, but got another opportunity. Pay is slightly less, but insanely better environment. But stay the heck away from alliantgroup if you value your sanity.
Terrible place to work!
Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJuly 22, 2013
Pros: free drinks just push the button it was yours. several eating places in building.
Cons: shorts breaks
Management was communicating by email. Data entry department was ghetto, loud, and very unprofessional. Had to be escorted to and from the main floor. Gossip about you spread very quick. Worked only 1 week. Hated the assignment.
Unprofessional Environment
Client Relations Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 18, 2013
alliantgroup expects you to give your entire life, day and night, to the cause. They are unprofessional, cussing and drinking at work. If you make a mistake, you are reminded for the next 6 months. And then you have to "claw" your way back in to the eyes of the Management Team. They expect you to be on call 24/7.
A sweat shop and a one trick pony
Project Management (Former Employee), HoustonSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: they hire almost anybody
Cons: limited health care, abusive culture, high turnaround, low pay
alliantgroup is a sweat shop and a one trick pony. The majority of its earnings come from R&D tax credit analysis. Although the company has tried to branch out into State and Local Tax (SALT), energy tax credits etc., it has not been successful. Management micromanages everybody and demeans people on a regular basis in front of their peers. Salaries are typically 40-50% lower than a big 4 accounting firm although the stress level is almost twice that of a big 4 because the large number of clients deadlines that need to be met. 50-60 hours per week is the norm, and during tax season you will need to put in over 80 hours just to meet the deadlines. However, since you will be salaried there will be no bonuses for the overtime.
Management scrutinizes employee utilization very seriously and even new hires are expected to have full work load within a few weeks of employment. alliantgroup will teach you how to apply R&D tax code to various companies, but lately the training sessions have been curtailed as there are very few senior employees. Most competent people who have other options usually leave within a year and a half. There is hardly anybody whose tenure exceeds more than 2 years.
The work itself is very monotonous and boring. Most of the time, you will try to justify how a project qualifies as R&D under the 4-part test stipulated by the tax code. Sometimes when your judgment tells you that there is no R&D activity for a client, managers will force you to re do your analysis so that the company can bill the clients. Engineers and science majors who join the company soon realize that the work is purely a interviewing and writing job with very little creativity involved. Over the years many incompetent people have been promoted to management, and they will harass you on a regular basis about ‘status’ updates.
Questionable billing practices have prompted several customers to file suit against alliantgroup.

May 9, 2013

Just left the company - everything here is true. Do not question them (even shady business practices) it will come back to bite you! Mostly everything they tell you during the hiring process is smoke and mirrors. Run. Run far far away.

About alliantgroup

alliantgroup is a national tax consulting services firm that works with CPA firms and their business clients to identify and claim – Read more

alliantgroup Salaries