Allison Transmission Employee Reviews

Warehouse Serviceman (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 12, 2017
Great job to have, if you're in the automotive industry, this is a great job. i enjoy working here as well. they offer paid education, and books. lots of overtime
Pros
great
Cons
great
Company that you can retire with!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 6, 2017
It amazes me how many people in this company have been here over 30 years! There is also generations of families that work here as well. This is a company that is very people oriented. One thing I loved when I first started was everyone would say "Hi" as you walked by them.
Great Experience
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2017
As a new graduate, I received excellent training at Allison. My managers took meaningful time to train me. The people were great.
it was a rude awaking for me
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 2, 2017
I didnt know what to expect, I was an indiana farm boy, nieve, young, and full of hopes and dreams. I had no idea of what a factory was. I was soon educated. At first I didnt want to be there, but day by day I stuck it out. As time went by you became addicted to the pay and bennifits, the hours seem to melt away. When its cold and raining outside Im inside earning big bucks instead of doing nothing. This was the driving mentality behind me staying.Then I started to acquire time, where I wouldnt be laid off, things began to get easier, and before I knew it, I was retiring. What how where did all those years go? So many people had come and gone, faces and memory's but just a blurr now. I have accomplished a lot, done a lot, seen and learned a lot. As I reflect back I do owe allison transmission a geat deal of respect and thanks for it has given me a proper life and education of "things" that I would not have been able to acquire from anywhere else.
Pros
it was a good place to work at
Cons
i was a indiana farm boy, born to be outside, the job was inside, on concrete, noisey, oily
Great Experience
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2016
My time there was great I learned a lot and was fortunate to meet a lot of people. I was able to work in three different departments and in each one it was a learning experience. Some were more fun than others but I still had a great time working there even though I was only an high school intern.

If I had the opportunity to stay there I wold have.
Pros
Able to network with others and learn a lot about the business side of things
Cons
Was only an intern
Impressive Company
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2016
Allison Transmission has a long history and makes sure that all of its employees understand that is because of its work force. Great company to work for.
Very friendly and comfortable work place
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 5, 2016
Working at Allison's was a very enjoyable job. The co-workers were very welcoming and helpful through my time working there.
Pros
organized
Cons
costly lunches
culture of tension and CYA
Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis INDecember 16, 2015
This place used to be a jewel of Indy, one of a handful of places where people felt lucky to land a job. No longer. Ever since the split from GM and the subsequent IPO to the stock market, there was an ever-increasing strangle on the engineering arena, and other contacts throughout the salaried arena reported the same.

Pushed to do more with less (just like everywhere else) but the politics behind it was almost sinister. The 'cool kids' that were aligned with a good manager were OK, but there were quite a few managers that believed in posturing themselves and tossing blame around. If you got transferred under 1 of them (and that happens without you being asked) they better like you or your goose is cooked, as your reviews will be peppered with criticism if the company is preparing for another round of layoffs (which happen about every 6-12 mos, depending on how the stock price looks). You'll know when you're on the to-be-fired list, as nothing you do is good enough and your every flaw will be used in triplicate on your review. A review that's about 6-8 pages of essay questions that you must respond to, about how flawed your work is and how you'll try to do better next time. I wish I could have that time back.

The best part about this job is you learn how to juggle too many projects, how to predict which things will haunt you, which to ignore, will how to dodge bullets, and keep your tail covered with CYA documentation. You learn project management/survival skills that will likely make you an MVP at your next job. A job where you'll be appreciated.
Pros
great learning experience to land a better job
Cons
horrible culture
Great people to work with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2015
I have been an supervisor over skilled trades union work force for over 15years. I work with a great bunch of guys that work well with me cause I know the trade and can help them troubleshoot their jobs with them.
Easy safe work enviornment
Fms Operator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 29, 2015
Nice, clean, steady, stability, Great benefits and pay, Union based Job, organized, Independent setting, well conducted, and operated
It was a nice place to work.
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 24, 2015
Allison was a nice place to work although it isn't what it used to be. Although they have rules and regulations they never seemed to used them. They showed a lot of favoritism and seemed to do things on their own basis. The pay rate was good for me and they also offered a lot of over time which was also a positive.
A OK place to work
Senior Staff Lead Materials Engineer (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisMarch 31, 2015
This is a good place to work. They make a good product. Typical office politics are here for sure. Just be aware of that going in to work for them
No a good place to work
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 21, 2015
No room for advancement bonuses are not good behind the market on salary. Health benefits are changing for the worst. Union gets it all while management takes cuts. Not a good work/life balance.
good place if in the union , if not its a nightmare.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 16, 2014
Pay is good and healthcare is ok. With saying this you have no family life and if you refuse to work OT they look at you like you are not a team player. But they are the ones going home after they get done with their shift.
manufacturing environment ok place to work
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 12, 2014
Allison is a good place to work. I'm looking for a fresh start
Pros
good alary
Cons
advancement slow
Great carrer.
Skilled assembly (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis IN.October 8, 2013
Great people to work with.
Extreme Technology.
The most enjoyable part of the job,
Producing quality products.
Pros
Plenty of overtime.
Cons
N/A
Terrible advancement
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 17, 2013
No room for advancment unless you hired in the old GM days... further education gets you nowhere but politics would likely get you advaced if you take the boss for a round of golf. Great pay and benefits awesome 401k match make it worth the high stress.
Pros
401k match
Cons
no room for advancement
Good Company
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 18, 2013
Good Company, but political. Pay is good, and they give good bonus
Good pay
HVAC/R and Powerhouse Supervisor for all (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis INJanuary 13, 2013
You will stay very busy. Work is challenging and demanding. UAW working environment.
Nice place to work for if you could deal with the management
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 20, 2012
started my day off with a meeting supervisor to get work asignment make sure your done by the end of your shift, the management somewhat hard to get along with co-worker were ok, hardest was getting a long with management because they showed favoritism in the work place, i like that it was a check every week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allison Transmission. Our community is ready to answer.

Allison Transmission Reviews by Location