Allstate Insurance Employee Reviews

Found 2,758 reviews matching the search
Must love taking calls
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 16, 2016
Position can be extremely exhausting mentally this isn't something I prefer or take lightly. My direct leader is great as well as my team but being cursed out, on the phone back to back to back with several issues concerning a claim is daunting. It's difficult to sit in one place majority of the day and you can't even think for yourself or go to the restroom without everything being digitized let alone write a thought. It's a catch 22 working in this realm of the company. I see why the turnover rate is extremely high, you can forget about a work life balance. This job has created the worst version of myself that I and my family have ever seen. Needless to say this isn't an enjoyable place for me. I'm in counseling it's so unbelievable. Will be leaving VERY Soon!
Pros
Training is great
Cons
Job description is not accurate. And horrible health insurance!!!!
A day on the job
Property Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 22, 2016
A typical day at work starts by the preparation the night before by reviewing the claim, checking priors, and then reviewing the policy. Upon arrival and sitting down with the insured and getting the details of what transpired. After scoping the damages and determining coverage. I began to write my estimate and make initial payment and notate the system.

I have learned that in order to keep an insured happy. Time management is important. I have a great relationship with my co-workers as we meet often and communicate with each other daily.

The hardest part of my job is having to explain to an insured why their claim is being denied. The most enjoyable part of my job is being in a position to help an insured know and understand that I will personally walk them through their loss and help put them back to where they where prior to a loss.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
An unhappy Insured
Productive workplace with lots of company activities.
Full-time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 31, 2015
My typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with their car and rental insurance policies. I learned a lot about car insurance and 401k. My coworkers were very helpful. We were a team. The hardest part of the job was dealing with frustrated customers but the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people with every day issues.
Pros
30min lunch
Cons
15min breaks
Once a promissing carreer with many oppurtunities.
SALES DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2016
A typical day of work for me is driving 48 miles to work arriving 2 hours before opening to get a head start on the day. Focus on meeting company sales goals while training new sales staff as well as holding tenured staff accountable.

Over the years I have learned how to manage multiple books of business as well as interview/hirer new staff, implement onboarding processes, train on policies/procedures for sales.

I'm one of 4 individuals that runs the organization. My title is Director of sales.

The hardest part of the job is realizing that I have not further opportunity to grow or attain equity in the company after investing 10 years while helping grow the overall book of business by 45 million.

The most enjoyable part of the job has been gaining wisdom of managing several small businesses while increasing my overall sales/management skills.
Pros
Tenure
Cons
Hours, Pay, Further growth, Benefits
Are You in Good Hands?
Sr. Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 17, 2016
Overall, a good place to work. The last couple of years have been fraught with uncertainty. There is a definite push to outsource job functions. For an entry level position good place to start. You receive pretty training. There are opportunities for advancement if you work hard and use the talent development tools available. The hardest part of this job was having to say goodbye to people that you've worked with for many years due to restructuring and outsourcing. What I learned is that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to if you use tools available such as networking and ensuring your manager knows what you want to achieve.
Pros
decent benefits, good people to work with
Cons
job uncertainty, systems issues
Job Work/Life Balance company
Claims Liability Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAJuly 24, 2016
The way this company and their offices operates the workplace is great. The positions here allow employees to keep work in the office and not take it with us when off the clock. It is very flexible there as far as requesting days off, days switches, vacations, etc. The position I work in, though, is very intense--it is not an easy job; however, the compensation is what makes me continue to work as hard I have been, and strive for even better. The job and company overall is definitely customer service driven and focused. Having to investigate liability from a car accident, and delivering the not so good news when someone is found responsible for a loss is one of the most challenging part of this job. Also, if you are not organized and fail to properly time manage, you will have a very hard time succeeding in this position.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Potlucks, flexible breaks and lunches
Not just a job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 22, 2015
Mentally taxing job at times, but Allstate rewards you for what you put into the job.

It's very rewarding to help someone put their life back together after an accident has disrupted their plans.

Kindness will take you a long way.

Co-workers are great....a lot of fun. There are a lot of extracurricular activities to give you a break every now and then....from an outdoor picnic taking the afternoon off to a simple ice cream bar.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Depending on the unit in which you work, could be long hours.
Field Adjuster
Associate Claims Service Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MISeptember 7, 2016
Working for this company expect to be burnt out and overworked. The company only cares about productive and numbers. Only promote if they like you. If you have any college background please......stay far away from this company. The individuals that are in mgmt doesn't have any college education however are responsible for your future. If you want to work for insurance please go to Progressive or AAA...where they actually pay you a decent rate. Oh yeah you will have no personal life once you work here. Your coworkers will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better for mgmt.
Pros
Honestly.....nothing
Cons
Pay, Work/personal life balance, Management, Working conditions, Health benefits
Everyone's a Leader!
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2015
Great place to work with plenty of opportunities for advancement! Management is very transparent, the company will train and promote from within! Great benefits including a pension!
Productive and friendly workplace with great staff
Hany Demian, Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 31, 2015
A typical day at work consist of a steady flow of customer phone calls, produced quotes, serviced client accounts, processed payments, change requests, took payments to bank at end of day or by following day.

I learned different types of insurance policies, increase sales, expand markets, and promote business.

My manager was a very understanding and pleasant person. Best Manager I've ever worked for.

My co-workers were very helpful and patient while teaching me things I didn't fully understand about insurance.

The hardest part of my job was speaking to angry or upset customers.

The most enjoyable aspect of my job was finding a solution to a problem.
Pros
Great Manager, overhead music, opens at 9am, flexible/understanding with emergencies, free gift cards
Cons
No sick time/vacation time for new hires, no health care benefits, and low job security
A productive day at Allstate
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of taking care of mail, answering the phones, assisting with office issues. I have learned to be patient organized and professional at all times. Management was very helpful and inspired you to make managerial decisions that can benefit the company as a whole. My co-workers were very helpful and informative we always worked well during group projects. The hardest part of the job was when someone else procrastinate on their part and it affects my job that is time sensitive. The most enjoyable part of the job was successfully completing my task at hand and being able to assist my fellow co-workers.
Pros
It felt like my co-workers were family.
Cons
I had to leave my work family.
customer service representative
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2016
Well the job itself is a good place to work at because training is a plus working for a call center
The atmosphere is wonderful to work, the value of this job is great, the co workers and management are great also helping one another to fulfill the goal
The hardest part about the job is asking to customers to sign up on our website, that gets rough
Begin a customer service representative is teaches you how to cope with other customers and their daily lives and when calling into the company when they have an accident at the scene yes they are nervous and sometimes just don't know what to do, that is where the patience come in at.
When customers call you have to be in their shoes to know how on the other end of the phone someone is there been there pleasant voice who there through the process
Great workplace with good people
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJuly 19, 2015
Allstate is a great workplace with good people. Their culture is one that promotes hard work while honoring work/life balance. Part of what makes Allstate great is the people that work there. People are really friendly, inclusive, and collaborative. The company also offers a great benefits package that includes multiple PTO days and solid health/dental/vision. One challenge with Allstate is that they do not pay as competitively as other companies and it can sometimes be challenging to progress at the corporation due to the number of more tenured employees that are causing a bottleneck.
Pros
Great employees and culture
Cons
Competitive pay and progression opportunities
Decent job, terrible hours
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHJune 30, 2016
When I was first hired to work for Allstate I was assured I'd be able to get out of the terrible 2:30-11:00 pm schedule, that never happened! Although I left 7 months after being employed, people who were in my hiring class are still working that terrible shift a year and a half later. Other than that, they are great with employee appreciation and moderately lenient with occurrences. They have a very nice cafeteria but it closes at 3 pm, which was another blow to the face for second shifter's. All in all, I'd probably work there again if there were better hours and it was closer to Cleveland, OH. I was hired at the Hudson Express office as a claims processor for home insurance.
Pros
Employee appreciation, laid-back atmosphere
Cons
Horrid 2nd shift hours and too far outside of cleveland
Great Insurance company
FIELD DAMAGE APPRAISER (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJanuary 11, 2016
They were a great company to work for. Their work schedules were a little intense at times. But compensation was good. A good customer base.
Productive and a learning curve
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  2100 N HIGHWAY 360 STE 302 GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75050August 2, 2016
A typical work day is not just 8 hours, which is not a Con at all. I have learned how to handle clients according to the client's behavior. Each coworker is different depending on their personalities. I have experienced some very wonderful coworkers as well as some not so pleasant coworkers but, that does not determine my work ethic. Work ethic is a very important attribute to me. The hardest part of my job is being so far from home. Currently I am over an hour away from home and I would prefer to be within 45 minutes of home to reduce travel time. What I enjoy most about my job is the opportunity to create strong and trusting relationships with clients.
Cons
Travel Time
Great company to start a career and grow!
Coverage Investigation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 10, 2016
Overall, Allstate is a great company at which to work. They provide a great compensation package. Allstate is a large company, with over 30,000 employees. Any company of that size, of course, has areas of opportunity, but Allstate does not run from them. They are constantly pursuing improvement. I plan to be with Allstate until I retire. They are an extremely ethical company, and they work to always be customer focused. I do feel appreciated at work, and I am consistently pushed and coached to always do the right thing for the customer.
Pros
Culture, work/life balance, ethical company.
Cons
Nothing important enough to put on a review.
Great place to work if you are willing to work!
Inside Unrepresented Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 5, 2016
I have been with Allstate for a little under 1 year. It is a fantastic company to work for as far as training, development and transparency. It is also very "open door" like as I have conversations daily with various managers and higher-ups and it is always welcome. Very much lead by example.

The job itself can be very stressful if you don't know how to manage your time and stress. There are very few days where you aren't extremely busy but that is recognized by managers and they do their best to keep the balance in the work place. I will say, for the job we do, we are a bit underpaid, looking at trends in the industry.

It is a great team atmosphere and I do feel there is a lot of room for movement and development, especially if you are willing to relocate.
Pros
Great management, Good time off/work life balance, transparent, training and development
Cons
Underpaid by industry standards
High stress environment and poor leadership
Unlicensed Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chubbuck, IDJuly 28, 2016
Typical day at work is you go and sit at your desk and take anywhere from 40 - 90 calls a day assisting customers and local agents with information and changes on policies.

I learned a lot of information about insurance and how the whole business is ran and how insurance works. I learned what not to do as a leader. I did learn some good leadership skills. Learned about insurance laws, Learned how to provide premium customer service. Learned the psychology behind customer service and people.

Most of my co workers are awesome and great people, hard workers and very intelligent.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress of people calling in and yelling about premium increases and when people make mistakes. Dealing with all the corporate jargon and the company refusing to change for the better.
Pros
Great pay and Benefits, 401k, co workers.
Cons
Managment, dealing with stress, anxiety, and anger all day long.
Love my job
Developing Staff (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJanuary 14, 2016
great job. Just wanting more. Need insurance benefits and some type of retirement. Looking for a job that will prove to be more challenging.