Ally Financial

Ally Financial Employee Reviews

Be Careful About Choosing to Work Here
Senior Business Analyst, Ally Servicing (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 24, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: Horrible management practices, aggressive management culture, low morale, etc
This was by far the WORST job experience in my whole professional career. I supported the servicing and collections business within Ally and I will be the first to say that they have no concept of work life balance, they are known for underpaying their salaried employees and favoritism, management is notorious for exploiting favoritism and nepotism policies within the organization. Morale was constantly low and they have a very high turnover rate. If you aspire to be successful and to make inroads in your next career move, I would be very careful about working here.
P&C Insurance division completely ignores their stated mission, vision, and culture.
P&C Sales Representative (Former Employee), NationalMay 18, 2015
Pros: company car, meals on expense account
Cons: poor management and unstable product offerings for sales persons
I chose to quit and was treated fairly upon my exit. My critique is ONLY of the P&C Dealer Insurance division. Other Ally divisions seem to operate more closely to their stated paths.

Pay and benefits were good for the sales group, I can't speak to other areas. My peer group was great. The work load was heavy as was the travel but that was to be expected. At the time of my employment there was only one female and no minorities on our sales staff in the entire country (as of 5/18/2015) that is still the same. The peer group (sales staff) often acknowledged this but nothing changed in that area. Only indicating a lack of focus on diversity.

The friendships and meeting other people from all over the country were definitely the most enjoyable parts of the job.

At my time of employment, the P&C Insurance division completely ignored the company mission, vision, and stated culture. The management largely gave lip service to those but did not foster the environment. The executives and regional managers hired friends. For the sake of full disclosure, were it not for two friends of mine I would have most likely not gotten a job with the company.
Great place to work, Challenging
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 18, 2015
Ally has many talented employees and a great management team. Allow you to take ownership for your career and provides great support to be successful.
Very good company
Retail Underwriter (Current Employee), RemoteMay 17, 2015
Pros: Great Pay, Work Remotely, Great Benefits
Cons: Long hours, Minimal Advancement Opportunity
Great company with a very good upper management. This company easily adapts to challenges & hurdles within the automotive market & expects its employees to follow suit into potential unknown territories within the market. You will work long hours as an underwriter/credit analyst including holidays, weekends, and late nights, but the trade-off is that the pay is hourly and can accumulate fast especially around holiday weekends.

Work/Life balance can get a little lopsided on the work depending on the staffing piece for weekends. Sometimes it's busy & other times it seems like there's nothing to do.

Middle management is good to work with but does have a few bad apples in the bunch & cross communication between departments takes forever unless a prior relationship exists between employees.

Advancement is in small supply at the moment, internal moves require a full year at the current position before the move is allowed by HR even if there is need for the new position to be filled.

Overall, a very satisfactory experience at the position & company.
Great Company
Admin Processes (Current Employee), Lewisville, TxMay 15, 2015
Pros: Nice facility
Cons: Locatioh
Great company to work for and to retire from. For some the location is great however most of the company is over 30 miles it would be great if it was around public transportation.
working hard
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 7, 2015
I learned a lot about working on loans and working with the customers that are angry trying to work and keep up with customers files , training others and making sure you help other team with there problems was a hard part of the day . I liked the job because it keep you busy and make the day going by fast . I learned how to plan my day and get the work done in a timely and accurate manner .
ally financial
Loss and Loan Mitigation Specialist (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMay 4, 2015
terrible management , lack understanding and proper policy to follow , stressful atmosphere from lack of communication between employee feedback and authority action . there is however an opportunity to make a lot of money in incentive pay on a monthly basis which the only pro of the job.
Limited advancement opportunity and weak pay.
Remarketing Specialist (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: good benefits, good home/work life balance, accrued vacation time
Cons: stressful work environment, poor advancement opportunities, weak pay
I initially joined Ally because of the work/home life balance and benefits. I knew going in that the pay wasn't that great but was given the promise of advancement opportunities annd told that I'd be able to move into the department that I wanted to be in when there was an opening. I saw openings 3 times during my stay in that department, expressed my desire to fill that role numerous times, and was met with excuses each time as to why I wasn't considered for that position. In the meantime I saw one raise for a paltry $.30 (while some hard-working people got no raise at all), got moved into another department that I had no desire to be in because the manager thought I just wanted a change, and my qualifications and skills were completely ignored. I spent 12 years in the car business before Ally, am very well educated in the needs of a car dealership and know how to handle them, and am knowledgeable above and beyond anyone else in their arbitration department in regards to mechanical issues and how an automotive service department works. Management at Ally changes frequently making it difficult to prove yourself because when a manager learns your abilities, he is quickly moved out and you start back from nothing. Raises are far between and typically not even enough to cover cost of living increases, promotions are nearly impossible if you don't know someone, and when applying for other opportunities within the company, you're competing with outsiders as well as other Ally employees. Add to that a total lack of accountability, micromanaging team leads, large workloads, not enough staff, and a work environment that is divided into little cliques where teamwork isn't a very well known concept and you have a very stressful place to work with very little reward. Ally is a job and may be appropriate for a recent grad or someone that needs a job with good benefits, but it's not a great career.
Very Fast Pace and Driven environment
Financial Analyst III (Contractor) (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 13, 2015
Great place to network and learn new things. Competitive and Fast past environment, very numbers driven, hands on training for new hires - there's no training class or manual. Overall great place to work.
good company
Loss Recovery Specialist (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXMarch 24, 2015
Good people and alot of advancements with the company only reason of leaving company is because they were going through job cuts and i really enjoyed working for them great company to work for
OK
Governance Analyst (Former Employee), Southfield, MIMarch 24, 2015
Great company to work for , could use better traingin material when onboarding candidates that do not have any insurance background
Ally
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 18, 2015
I like working as a customer service rep. but i would like a new change. The most enjoyable part of job is the people my co workers are amazing but in ally you learn alot new stuff everyday.
Low moral, little advancement opportunities, work/life balance is low
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee), Lewisville, TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: i work monday - friday
Cons: little advancement opportunities
I have been with Ally for the last 7 years. I started with a sister company, Nuvell. It was much smaller and more family friendly at that time. The company changed to Ally about 5 years after I started. We joined with our parent company, which was GMAC at that time. Once the merger and the name change took place we began to see a shift in management and company concern for its employees. Our joint operation meant more people, and less opportunity for management to concern themselves with our needs. In this time there were few advancement opportunities to be had, and we were asked to sacrifice more of our personal time to company business. This has led to low morale within the company.
It is a nice place to work, Lot's of great people.
Quality Control (Current Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 6, 2015
I like working for Ally, they are good at laying out targets for your workload.
I absolutely love my co-workers, we enjoy our day while getting our workload completed.
It is a nice Company to work for, and the benefits are good.
DCC IW Migaction
Sr.Oracle PL/SQL Developer (Current Employee), Detroit MiMarch 3, 2015
I really enjoying my project, Same time I am working multiple tools, Oracle Database, Unix Scripts, Tidal, Autosys etc... Great to do a lot
Sr. Vendor Operations Manager (Current Employee), Lewisville, TXFebruary 24, 2015
I love the atmosphere here. Very friendly people to be around. Co-workers and management are great. A lot of room for advancement.
Information Warehouse is a business critical data warehousing application and it is to migrate out of HP hosted Plano data center to Ally hosted data
Senior PL/SQL developer (Current Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 23, 2015
• Tuned SQL queries using Explain Plan, Analyze, Hints and TKProf utilities to improve performance.
• Did code changes for outbound interfaces for the IW APPLICATION as per business requirements.
• Having experience with Database Compression testing, Used Hybrid query low mechanism on the tables and partitions to improves the performance of the batch execution process and cut over the SLA, saved storage in the database.
• Run current batch execution process to mimic the production batch executions as per Plano.
• Involved in preparing test plans, unit testing, System integration testing, implementation and maintenance.
• Involved in debugging, and having good troubleshooting experience on databases to improve performance.
• Work with Automation tools such as Autosys and Tidal for scheduling jobs, dependencies, and defined calendar dates.
• Get files from Mainframe and ST for processing jobs and extract data send to downstream Mainframe applications.
• Created UNIX shell scripts to back up the files, Used SED and AWK in UNIX Shell scripting to correct the data issues in the SQL-Loader data file.
• Used tools like SQL *Loader to load the data into the database tables from flat files and excel sheets.
• Run reports between Autosys and Tidal by written queries with the help of SQL DEVELOPER.
• Work with off-shore team and communicate with team regarding Tidal changes.
• Involved in preparing code merge, validating code changes, files and outbound interfaces.
• Actively involved in preparing Technical documentation for the application changes to track for future reference.
• Prepared environment for IW Production and deployed code into server and SVN for P-CUT.
IO (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: management - even if hr aware of an issue they are not willing to addressed, pushed under rug.
Previous employee, many departments - have management that have been placed in a role just because they have been there for a while, then lock them in. However one in particular was known to berate their employees mostly behind closed doors or within internal group team meetings. Person always looking for a fall person. Can't accept responsibility for their own actions and/or performance. Otherwise great company, mix of team and singular mentality.
QA Manager (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Gives opportunity to work independently and prove myself.
Started from a Test Manager (TSL) to handle a program level Lead (Business Unit Lead). Good place to grow.
Generally good place to work
Data Loss Prevention (DLP) (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: very skilled personnel
Cons: micromanaging
A day at Ally was typically uneventful, but very busy. Ally works under a very slim profile, and has a very small workforce for each of their controls.

I gained exposure to Bluecoat Proxy and Imperva with Ally, as well in depth knowledge of Qualys and Data Loss Prevention. I faced several audits and worked hard to improve Ally's Risk posture.

Unfortunately, one of the negative things about Ally is the management is heavy handed and there is too much micro managing.

Co workers at Ally were great, outside of a couple of obvious ladder climbers that would do anything to get ahead, including taking credit for others work and trying to point out issues that did not exist.

The hardest part of the job was attempting to enhance controls under such small workforce. Daily sustain operations outweighed the ability to make many advancements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the networking and ability to work with very intelligent individuals.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ally Financial

“Ally Financial Inc. is a leading automotive financial services company powered by a top direct banking franchise. Ally's – Read more

Ally Financial Salaries