Ally Financial

Ally Financial Employer Reviews

Terrible place to work, constantly being micromanaged, no advancement
Claims specialist (Current Employee), Itasca, ILDecember 16, 2013
Pros: insurance package
Cons: everything else
I currently work in the Itasca office and this is the absolute worst place I have ever worked. The management is constantly micromanaging you from watching and recording every move you make to find the smallest fault to use against you. Ally has a feeder program for kids graduating from SIU and Ferris college, so they cater to them. These are the kids – more... that still live at home with mom and dad, and are the ones advancing in the company with promotions and raises. Like I said these are kids, just out of school with no background, no experience, and no responsibilities, but they are the ones going forward over the people that have several years experience and knowledge. It does not matter how much you go above and beyond your duties, you will not be looked at if you are not an SIU or Ferris graduate. There is constant discrimination of age, and your background. They will promise you advancement and bonuses when your interviewed, but will never receive anything unless your on the A list like I mentioned above. All the kids start out making more than you and receive a healthy bonus to work there, and of course will pass you up in promotions. I was passed up four times for promotions I applied for that I was more than qualified for by kids that still live at home with absolutely no experience or background in any field. You can't talk to anyone about your concerns they will just lie to you and make up stories. I questioned one of the operations managers about a promotion I was passed up for and more than qualified, and I was told I should look for another job if I wasn't happy. All the training goes to the kids so they are groomed for the positions they are promised and it's obvious. They do give you several PTO days when you start, but good luck trying to get any time off that you want, especially around any holiday. Don't even think about being sick, when you call in with the flu or something serious, you will get the third degree and they will try to convince you to come in even for half a day. When you are sick they force you to use a PTO day whether you want to or not, and then use that against you saying it was an unexcused absence. The only decent thing is the benefits, they are a little pricey but a lot less than you would have to pay on your own, and the coverage is great. That's the only thing keeping me from leaving until I can find a real career. There is so much more, and I can go on for hours about the negativity at this place. Apply at your own risk. If they promise you bonuses and quick advancement, think about this review. If you find something else, I would recommend to take the something else. – less

December 29, 2013

You couldn't have said it better. This review is so true. I am employed at Ally in the Itasca office, and I see everything this review talks about. The only good reviews you will read about Ally is going to be from the youngsters that are getting groomed for their promotions. They absolutely do discriminate against all the people that did not come from SIU or Ferris college. This place is only a fill in job, because you won't be advancing anytime soon.

January 20, 2014

This is the truth. I too currently work in the Itasca office, and is the most miserable job I have ever encountered. If you are not an SIU grad you are just a warm body to answer phones for them until they can replace you with an SIU grad. You will never receive a compliment, but you will always get criticized. The micromanaging is out of control. The management are constantly watching and recording you even from home when they are not in the office, trying to find something negative to put in your file. If you are an SIU grad, then this job is for you. Anyone else, STAY AWAY because you will not be going anywhere.

January 22, 2014

I am employed at the Itasca office for 17 years. This company was an ok place to work when GM owned it. Now that Ally owns this company, it went downhill. This review is 100% correct! you will go no where if your not an SIU grad. The only good reviews you will read about the Itasca office will be coming from the SIU kids because they advanced quickly in the company. The micromanaging is the worst you will ever encounter, and you will be criticized all the time. I would recommend to look elsewhere for work.

Going in the wring direction
Director (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 12, 2013
Pros: discount on gm cars.
Cons: dead end place to work
A monoline auto-finance company. Probably a takeover target by a big bank, or possible repurchase by GM.
Ally is a great company
Director, Database Marketing, CRM, Reporting (Former Employee), Fort Washington, PANovember 23, 2013
Ally is a great company that turned itself around. I am highly recommending Ally for prospective employees.
Evolving the enterprise supply chain group
Manager Enterprise Sourcing (Current Employee), Erie, PANovember 1, 2013
Pros: compensation
Cons: poorly defined vision/mission for the supply chain division
Friendly with good team work, however recently rescinded all virtual work from home personnel in the Supply Chain Division.
Productive, fun and learning.
Lead SAP BI Consultant (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 24, 2013
Productive, fun and learning experience from colleagues and organization.
A very unperdictable workplace
Bank Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2013
Pros: non micomanagement
Cons: no team communication.
I have learned many different skills at Ally However ,only because I was always asking to learn and when asking didn't work I would figure out the task on my own .
Management really never associated with employees sometime my team didn't see management for days.
Management would assign work but not explain or train you.
Co workers always bickering on – more... remedial issues. I trained may coworkers in other areas of bank operations and it was never acknowledged.
I went from loving my job to just doing my job and going home. There is no room for advancement. – less
Great employee-first culture!
HR/TA (Current Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 11, 2013
In my experience, Ally employees/managers truly follow the LEAD core values that are shown on the walls of every floor: Look Externally, Execute with Excellence, Act with Professionalism, and Deliver Results.
We all have a good time working together and have a great work-life balance. Minimal micro managing. If your work is getting done and you are – more... being proactive, you will have a great experience working for this leading auto finance company. – less
Ally review
Customer Service Representive (Former Employee), Wichita, KSOctober 8, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: no advancement
Ally was an ok company to work for. The whole time I was there I never really learned what the company had to offer. Lack of leadership skills and advancement.
Great company
Bankruptcy Analyst (Current Employee), Roseville, MNOctober 3, 2013
Great company. I like all the people I work with. hard work, great flexibility.
job description
Collection Specialist (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: free lunches awards for doing a good job contest
Cons: company as a whole being on one accord
great work enviornment people always willing to help.
Constant Change
Education courses available
hardest part of job getting our customers to answer the phone
I enjoy helping our customers out of what could be a bad situation
Horrible Executive and Management staff in the Bank
Bank Associate (Former Employee), Fort Washington, PASeptember 25, 2013
Pros: a few knowledgeable associates
Cons: lack of management
During my tenure at Ally, room for advancement was all about WHO you know and not your personal skill set. You are constantly overworked due to the lack of staff knowledge of certain jobs. Under-appreciated for the long hours that you put in and for the work that you produce. The Executives and the Management teams claim to be very "associate friendly" – more... and have an "open door policy" however, when circumstances/situations are brought to their attention - a bulls eye is then placed upon your back. The Executive and Management teams changed a little over 18 months ago and NOT for the better. Life at Ally was never the same after the change. – less

September 30, 2013

I totally agree with this entire comment. The management team from the Team Leads through the Executives are only there for themselves. If you know the "Deposit Operations Executive" in Fort Washington and you haven't a clue about your job - no worries you will have a management role.

Leading automotive finance lender in the business
Site Manager - Dealer Operations (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: approx 60 hours a week
We process approximately 125k contracts a month. I would rather not say anything further.
proactive workplace
Quality Assurance Analyst III (Former Employee), jacksonville flSeptember 23, 2013
this company I worked under people with quality assurance and making sure call volume was open and highly attended to for each customer
Ally was a professional place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Waterloo, IASeptember 22, 2013
Pros: rewards for winning contests
Cons: company has frequent layoffs
Excellent Training
Training in HIPPA law and federal banking laws
Team attitude between coworkers
The most enjoyable part was working with the customers
ally financial
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Jacksonville,flSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: and the breaks are to short
i enjoyed my time with ally financial it is a great job and stable company the people are wonderful and the atmosphere is cool also i was there for about 1 and half years thanks ally
Productive,
Bankruptcy Department, Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Washington, PASeptember 18, 2013
Good place to work. Nice co-workers. Great growth potential
Working for Ally is a pleasure, but the hours are not fit for me.
Dealer Assist Team (Current Employee), Wichita, KSSeptember 9, 2013
I really do enjoy my job but since our hours changed, it makes it difficult to take care of my family. My typical day is coming up with solutions to resolve issues customers, car dealerships or account executive may have with their vehicle accounts.
It's not the good old days anymore
Analyst (Current Employee), Cranberry Twp, PASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: technophobic workforce with old mindset, no room for advancement
Ally pays well but is hamstrung by a technophobic workforce and old mindset. The employees are not very diverse, and the longer one stays, the more likely they are to be beaten into thinking like the vast majority of the managers there, i.e. don't take risks and do whatever the policy manual says.
A good company to work for
Database Administrator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2013
Pros: good pay and good benefit
Cons: leadership does not have long term view
It was a good company to work for in the past. However, there are a lot changes in recent few years due to financial issues.
Great place to work.
Compliance Analyst I (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 20, 2013
Great place for advancement and oppertunity.Great for new college graduates to begain their career in law enforcement and compliance.

About Ally Financial

“Ally Financial Inc. is a leading automotive financial services company powered by a top direct banking franchise. Ally's – Read more