Alpena Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
hospital work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIMay 15, 2017
Typical day extremely busy due a variety of reasons. The hardest part of the job is trying to get all the work done with the staff available. The best part of the job was the co worker willing to help at all times, they are a bunch of hard workers
Pros
co workers
Cons
busy
stressful workplace with no appreciation
LPN (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIMarch 23, 2017
This company has horrible benefits package..no short term long term disability just a sick bank you have to accrue and if that is gone and you have an accident you have no safety net. They encourage you to go back to school and tell you they will work around your schedule but then schedule you onmidnights and the same days you have class. You have to go in the student pool with zero benefits and flip flop shifts. They are understaffed and pull you all over during your shift. Only plus is lots of overtime available cause they are short staffed..no appreciation toward their employees and it shows..lots of favortism. Would not recommend. LPNs work as care assets and treated like they know nothing
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
a whole bunch..see above
Great place to start your career
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MIOctober 25, 2015
Pro: Beautiful area, good co-workers, and always have available overtime. Uses Siemens analyzers and Meditech for LIS.

Con: Have had 3 Laboratory Directors in under a year
emergency department
Travel RN (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIOctober 22, 2015
Difficult workplace with lots of strife. Undergoing many changes with cuts in patient care staff including nursing staff.
Safe and secure work environment
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MISeptember 28, 2015
Great workplace, heavy workflow which helped the days go by smoothly. Great coworkers, as well as knowledgeable doctors. Loved the fast paced office.
Wonderful place to work/great co-workers
Cardiology Secretary; Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIAugust 18, 2015
Enjoyed working here with exception of rotating shifts. I had 45 min drive and during winter shift changes sometimes didn't leave me much time to sleep before having to get up and go back.
Pros
Benefits, helpful friendly co-workers
Cons
Rotating shifts
Great Co-workers
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIJuly 9, 2015
I loved working in ICU, the more critical the patient the more exciting the day went. I learned good time management skills, assessing pt's quickly and to follow my instincts. I got along well with all my co-workers and physician's, and let everyone know I appreciated them. That includes housekeeping,maintence, PT, RT, Social workers, pretty much anyone who came into the ICU unit to do anything. The hardest part of the job was during high census times, when turn around was fast and furious and everyone was in high gear to get things done and keep patients doing well. The best part was having great nurses to work with.
Pros
The many friends I made over the years there.
Cons
cut backs on health insurance
I love the rural setting and small community. My coworkers are awesome
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MIJune 20, 2015
the hardest part of my job is being limited by a small rural community because I know that so much more technology is available and we could be doing so much more for people...IF we were a bigger wealthier hospital. It is frustrating to have ancient equipment, limited physicians and no pharmacist through the night. Yet,at the same time,it is a daily challenge to make it work with what we do have.
Armc experience
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MIApril 11, 2015
Cross-trained to work in many departments fulfilling many different roles. A real learning experience that I am thankful for.
Lots of chances to make a lot of money
Home Health Care RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Alpena MichiganMarch 31, 2015
Tons of overtime, and packed days. A person could make a ton of money in bonuses at this job, but there is no time for a life outside work with this job.
Hostile work environment.
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIMarch 7, 2015
Allot of back stabbing between coworkers.
Coworkers make up stuff to get others in trouble. Bullying and making fun of people is what happens on a daily basis. ER department talks about patients amongst each other and not a friendly environment.
Decent supplemental position
Cardiovascular Tech (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MINovember 6, 2014
I think the environment is cold and confining rather than pleasant and welcoming. The food could be better as well. Improvements in these areas would considerably enhance the experience of the patients and the staff. Overall, not a bad place to work.
Pros
Decent pay compared to other local regions
Cons
Cold environment with less than desirable food
Excellent Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation clinic
Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Intern (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIOctober 20, 2014
The staff is very friendly and knowledgable. The most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with all of the patients and getting to know them on a deeper level other than just clinically.
Exciting community hospital offering clients excellent care
MLPN (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MIJune 27, 2014
This hospital offers an environment to clients a feeling of family. Nursing staff provide excellent care to clients and work together as a team to facilitate the business of each shift. Assignments are obtained and reports are exchanged between shifts. RN, LPN and Care Assistants work within each scope of practice as a team and collaborate with each other along with delegation to achieve carry out the physician orders and physical needs of each client and their family. I enjoy working with my co-workers and assisting them in the efforts of getting the job done as a team overall. The hardest part of the job can be when we are extremely busy and there does not seem to be enough staff to meet the needs of the clients. I understand that management has quotas and expectations and has to go by ratios but sometimes it can wear down staff. I do like how management ensures that we have on-going educational opportunities within the hospital. I have learned to take each shift, day, or assignment with an open mind and heart and provide the best care to my clients and their families while carrying out the orders of their care plans and treatments. I have also learned at the end of the shift to leave work at work. I have a great sense of satisfaction when I leave work knowing I have done my best to provide awesome patient care because the most enjoyable part of my job is working with some of the best nurses while taking care of our patients. I look forward to meeting new patients everyday and seeing the healing progression of existing clients and saving lives.
Although I work part time, they treat me just like a full time position.
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alpena, MISeptember 14, 2013
I work with elderly people in their homes to assist them in staying in their homes. My duties vary at each home. In one home I would do personal duties such as giving baths, dressing, personal hygiene and meal prep. In another home, I would do housekeeping chores, laundry, making beds, provide healthy meals, and provide needed socialization.
Pros
Feeling good after leaving each home that I made a difference in the life of someone, I enjoy working with people, Being able to just be there with someone to talk to and open up and discuss their fears, children, their life, and what they like to do.
Cons
On call status doesn't provide many hours of work.
Beautiful town, hospital not so truthful.
Former staff nurse (Former Employee) –  NursingApril 26, 2013
If you come from a facility that is clinically ladder motivated you will find it hard to work in this atmosphere. Orientation is not kept up-to-date, as nursing education is not a priority. Do not believe the great benefits story and wage increase is across the board @ 1% if you get any @ all. Not many 12-hr shifts, no self scheduling.
CEO is rarely seen and the head of HR wields so much power that extends outside of hospital it is scary. Upper nursing management have never worked anywhere but Alpena so if you work in specialty area, they have poor knowledge as to what is needed. Poor care to patients due mostly because it is delivered by "newbies," hardly any senior nurses to help guide the new nurse.
Yes, beautiful town served mostly by locums, medical management is marginal. Need to have an overall by a company that knows how to run a hospital committed to healthcare in a community that is more resort than industrial. Lot of low-income, indigent community. This hospital could be a whole lot better, and it is too bad cause the nurses need help to succeed.
Pros
Nice town, clean, lots of water, low crime rate compared to big city
Cons
NOT a requirement to work in ICU/ER/PACU. No reimbursement for required inservice.
Hardest working housekeeping staff I have ever led.
Director of Housekeeping and Laundry (Former Employee) –  Alpena, mi. 49707April 9, 2013
In 1993, when I was first hired to lead the housekeeping department, I was in awe of the quality of staff and hospital leadership. I worked there for over 16 years and was a part of their culture and mission. In 2009 all senior leadership retired. Included was the CEO, COO, CNO and CPO. The Board of trustees hired all new people who had different ideas of how the hospital should operate. Consequently they laid off over 100 employees ,including myself. I, for example was replaced by the security guard. To this very day I get calls from my staff expressing how much they miss me and the way things used to be. All I can do is to tell them to keep their heads down and do the great job they always have. I have no regrets or illusions on this type of occurrence. I have life long friends as a result of my tenure there and now look to move forward as I have recently moved to Florida.

The rating of the hospital above is reflective of the original senior leadership.
Stressfull, never felt you did enough
Rehabilitation Aide (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIJanuary 22, 2013
stressfull, never knowing if you would have a job or not when you walked thru the door. Politically driven atmosphere.
Short periods of terror and long periods of boredom.
Ob/gyn Locum Tenens (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIAugust 30, 2012
This is a medically underserved area where you work at the regional med center. Equipment is nice and up to date. Anesthesia must be called from home and even the pharmacy closes at night. Usually I was the only Obstetrician in the county when working. So I had to be resourceful and know when to call in the choppers for transport. Many people in the town live on disability so the patients tend to have impairments of various types. Doctors, nurses and managers are pleasant and helpful which makes it very nice.
Pros
good compensation rate. wonderful nurses.
Cons
delayed paychecks at times. not much to do in town.
I loved my support staff and will miss them so very much!
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Behavioral HealthJuly 26, 2012
Overall a good place to work. Did believe that I was working with staff who cared for their patients and loved my job as well! Most difficult part of the job was the lack of management and support from administration. Administration being out of touch with direct care staff.
Pros
wellness program and incentives for being healthy- $250 cash + % off insurance premiums
Cons
management not listening when staff had concerns.