Alpena Regional Medical Center

Alpena Regional Medical Center Employer Reviews

Beautiful town, hospital not so truthful.
Former staff nurse (Former Employee), NursingApril 26, 2013
Pros: nice town, clean, lots of water, low crime rate compared to big city
Cons: not a requirement to work in icu/er/pacu. no reimbursement for required inservice.
If you come from a facility that is clinically ladder motivated you will find it hard to work in this atmosphere. Orientation is not kept up-to-date, as nursing education is not a priority. Do not believe the great benefits story and wage increase is across the board @ 1% if you get any @ all. Not many 12-hr shifts, no self scheduling.
CEO is rarely – more... seen and the head of HR wields so much power that extends outside of hospital it is scary. Upper nursing management have never worked anywhere but Alpena so if you work in specialty area, they have poor knowledge as to what is needed. Poor care to patients due mostly because it is delivered by "newbies," hardly any senior nurses to help guide the new nurse.
Yes, beautiful town served mostly by locums, medical management is marginal. Need to have an overall by a company that knows how to run a hospital committed to healthcare in a community that is more resort than industrial. Lot of low-income, indigent community. This hospital could be a whole lot better, and it is too bad cause the nurses need help to succeed. – less
Hardest working housekeeping staff I have ever led.
Director of Housekeeping and Laundry (Former Employee), Alpena, mi. 49707April 9, 2013
In 1993, when I was first hired to lead the housekeeping department, I was in awe of the quality of staff and hospital leadership. I worked there for over 16 years and was a part of their culture and mission. In 2009 all senior leadership retired. Included was the CEO, COO, CNO and CPO. The Board of trustees hired all new people who had different ideas – more... of how the hospital should operate. Consequently they laid off over 100 employees ,including myself. I, for example was replaced by the security guard. To this very day I get calls from my staff expressing how much they miss me and the way things used to be. All I can do is to tell them to keep their heads down and do the great job they always have. I have no regrets or illusions on this type of occurrence. I have life long friends as a result of my tenure there and now look to move forward as I have recently moved to Florida.

The rating of the hospital above is reflective of the original senior leadership. – less
Stressfull, never felt you did enough
Rehabilitation Aide (Former Employee), Alpena, MIJanuary 22, 2013
stressfull, never knowing if you would have a job or not when you walked thru the door. Politically driven atmosphere.
Short periods of terror and long periods of boredom.
Ob/gyn Locum Tenens (Former Employee), Alpena, MIAugust 30, 2012
Pros: good compensation rate. wonderful nurses.
Cons: delayed paychecks at times. not much to do in town.
This is a medically underserved area where you work at the regional med center. Equipment is nice and up to date. Anesthesia must be called from home and even the pharmacy closes at night. Usually I was the only Obstetrician in the county when working. So I had to be resourceful and know when to call in the choppers for transport. Many people in the – more... town live on disability so the patients tend to have impairments of various types. Doctors, nurses and managers are pleasant and helpful which makes it very nice. – less
I loved my support staff and will miss them so very much!
Therapist (Former Employee), Behavioral HealthJuly 26, 2012
Pros: wellness program and incentives for being healthy- $250 cash + % off insurance premiums
Cons: management not listening when staff had concerns.
Overall a good place to work. Did believe that I was working with staff who cared for their patients and loved my job as well! Most difficult part of the job was the lack of management and support from administration. Administration being out of touch with direct care staff.