AlphaGraphics Franchise Opportunity Employee Reviews in United States

Fast Paced Work Environment with Lazy Employees
Bindery Operator (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMarch 30, 2016
Working for AlphaGraphics was a disappointment to say the least. I was eager to learn and break into the field, instead I was doubted and left to do grunt work. My fellow employees were lazy and two faced. Talked bad about me behind my back and watched each others back. I was let go because I wasn't "a good fit" and "didn't get things done fast enough" while my fellow employees would take several smoke breaks a day on the clock and play on their cell phones. AlphaGraphics in Mason Ohio is a terrible place to work.
Pros
None.
Cons
No Benefits, Lack of Management, Lazy Employees
Nepotism and Favoritism Prevail
Large Format Lead, Assistant Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CONovember 19, 2015
-The owners are barely around (<24 hrs a week), and have little to no industry knowledge
-They play favorites among employees, making an extremely bizarre and uncomfortable work environment
-Sales is a complete mess and disaster- they wear jeans and t-shirts, and deal with customers less than production somehow, are paid much more, and do not understand that printing sales is different than general sales
-Constantly changing rules and policies and procedures - one minute something is fine, the next minute it is wrong and you are written up
-They were ALWAYS at least 3 months late with every employee review

In summary:

Poor place to work. Tons of corporate rules and philosophy abound, the owners use the place as a daycare for their family a fair amount of the time, you will be blamed for things you didn't do, and similarly watch people who messed up big things not get in any trouble at all. They treat you like a two year old, you have to tell everybody anytime you do anything, they yell at you like a little child instead of discussing things like an adult with you if you do mess something up, and they always push you to work harder to meet goals, and then the salespeople and the owners are the only people who get any benefits from hitting those goals. I was able to learn a lot from a certain person, but they are gone now, and Alpha's business will steadily decline in this area because their whole top end knows little to nothing about printing, which they are supposed to be masters of.
fun workplace
Bindery Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMarch 20, 2016
I was responsible for driving all of the deliveries to the clients as well as making business cards. hemming banners, making booklets, as well as large mail orders. Basically anything that needed to be bound in the office I was responsible for including spiral notebooks. I managed my own time and had to make sure everything was done in an organized and timely fashion in order to make it to deliveries on time.
Pros
a fun workplace with a lot of good caring people including the boss
Cons
a lot of pressure during the high ordering times
Productive and customer service driven workplace
Bindery, Delivery Driver, Wide -Format Printing (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTFebruary 1, 2016
Customer service driven environment
Supportive co-workers
Personable management
Learned a great deal about printing industry
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Occasional oppressive workload
AG - Account Rep + Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Mountainside, NJApril 24, 2015
Answer phones, customer service, print production, estimating/job quotes, bindery, filing, packaging and shipping, other managerial duties.

I learned about the printing aspect of design.

NO coworkers

Hardest part of the job is not having a team environment.

Enjoyable part of the job is customer service.
Pros
Yearly bonus of $100
Cons
Unpaid breaks, no healthcare/benefits
Francise Business
Manager/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 15, 2016
Great company but each store is run very differently. Some store owners are great, some not. Busy environment and great staff depending on the location.
Love it
Manager / Designer (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMay 17, 2016
Alphagraphics is a great place to work and I love my co workers. Being a franchise the company really is what you make it to be and it is truly hard to beat.
Best place to work
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
I was running the company and under me were other 25 workers who I supervised at a warehouse. I only had to report to the owner of the company who was a very bright and shrewd businessman and I learnt a lot from him
A fair place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 3, 2014
The work is great. Dealing with customers is fun and generally a satisfying facet of the job. Working with strict deadlines forces employees to be organized and on top of their workloads. The main problems are around job security and management. While there has always been a steady workflow, it's difficult to work with other vendors and partners when they haven't been paid for their work. That makes us wonder about the cash flow and whether our own jobs may potentially be at risk. As it is, the pay for the full-time employees (there are only four of them, not including the owner) is not sufficient and benefits like health care were taken away right after I was hired, before I was eligible to receive them. Also, the office in which I work is located in a basement, so there are no windows and customers complain about the difficulty in finding us.

But everyone that works at this Alphagraphics is pleasant to work with, there is very little friction within the staff, and there is seldom a dull day.
Pros
four day work week (contracted to work city government schedule); hour-long lunch; dynamic work
Cons
location, low pay, no benefits, little job security
lots of gossip/blaming, low wages, devalues your work, "nice to your face" people
Graphic Designer, Prepress (Former Employee) –  UtahMarch 12, 2012
6 months into this job I immediately began going to interviews and job searching because things that were promised over and over and never happened, responsibilities were added without a raise. You will love this place if you don't want to make money. It's a family owned franchise and they are not worried about YOU. I was told the production manager was afraid I was going to take his job, so he liked to blame reprints on me.
Pros
clean facility, macs
Cons
not a lot of work, lots of gossip and complaining behind backs, blame game, dead end job, low wage, no advancement
communicated with clients, designed creatively, good equipment, friendly staff
DESIGN SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 27, 2014
Since AlphaGraphics was primarily a print shop, I output most of my jobs for the printer. I used the Fiery and the color Canon printer as output devices. I communicated with the CSRs concerning the graphic requests and deadlines. When a client wanted a particular design, I would sit down with them to learn their requests and advise them to the best design and print options for their needs.
Pros
enjoyed the communication with clients and the freedom to design as appropriate.
Cons
low wages and few benefits
Excellent work environment with strong leadership
Sales & Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Alphagraphics. It was a solid company to work for and I had great team members and management. You can only go so far within the company without owning it.
Professional Environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2015
A typical day as a Graphic Designer at Alphagraphics was a challenge.

I learned new communication skills each day. New clients were always needing design and marketing materials as well as advice.

I managed all design materials. Each day required a different set of skills. Some days I would be branding a company, other days, I would be designing designing marketing materials.

I was responsible for contacting each client about the requirements they had and what their goal was, so I could provide the proper skill set to help them achieve this goal.

I would then, with final approval, get their products ready for pre-press or launch.

My co-workers very friendly and open.

The hardest part of my job was to know get used to the print industry and how my designs reflected on paper.

The most enjoyable part was being able to learn new ways to express my creativity.
Pros
New Experience in this type of work environment
Cons
Franchise business
Great
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZOctober 2, 2015
Very high paced
Design and graphics
Great franchise owners
fun and friendly coworkers
meeting deadlines
learning something new almost every day
Pros
Bonuses and Insurance
Cons
Understaffing
Excellent Job
Accounts Receivable/Payable/Collections Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mountainside, NJAugust 28, 2015
I love this company! The owner is always willing to go the extra mile in all aspects. The atmosphere is laid back. There is always something new to learn.
Pros
Great environment, learning atmosphere
Fun and a Fast pace enviroment
Large Format Manager (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 27, 2012
Great Place! The employees make this place a good place to work. The management team is outstanding. The only negative thing about the job was the benefits.
Hard place to work if you aren't tech savvy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 25, 2015
Every day there would be a huge project to complete and many small ones that required immediate attention. It was hard trying to find a balance between the two. I did learn a lot about the types of printing, binding, and projects that could be completed as well as cost. The management was probably the worst I've ever had. One of the managers was very inadequate when dealing with customers (who would later call in and complain about him). That made the job a lot harder than it should've been. There were lots of issues.

For the most part my co-workers were nice, except when management couldn't control their behavior at work. It was very unprofessional. Some would start yelling and swearing while customers were in the building. One even swore at me in front of a customer. It was very abusive.

Like the headline says - if you're not good at using computers or printers, then this job isn't for you. Unless you're a fast learner, it'll be short lived.

The only part that was enjoyable was the first month working there. It all fell apart after that.
Pros
Learning about the print industry
Cons
Poor communication, mediocre management, and unprofessional employees
Enjoyable job that allows feeling productive at the end of the day
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, New JerseyJune 23, 2015
I was pleased to find this to be a challenging job. I enjoy building existing accounts and closing new ones. I had a little difficulty with the level of "teamwork" as in that specific business all parties definitely need to work together in order to accomplish our goals.
over woked and under payed
hand bindry (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2015
very un organized work environment, management needs training, supervisor needs training, employees are hard to get along with, lots of misconduct at this company by supervisor or managment
Pros
treats at the end of the month, holiday lunches
Cons
under payed
Productive and fun work enviroment
Journeyman Pressman (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 5, 2015
Most of the days were great but their are days at any job that are hard. I learned a lot about teamwork and other levels of the graphics industry. Management was attentive and helpful. Co-workers were mostly easy to work with. The hardest part of my job was to perform at the highest level every day. The most enjoyable part was to perform at my highest level every day.
Pros
great location and great people
Cons
i will not be there any more