Alro Steel Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced hot environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJuly 15, 2016
The 1st and 2nd shift supervisors were the most unprofessional, rude supervisors I've ever come across. The training was terrible. I was trained to work in an area that i never ended up working in. The guy who trained me just had me do stuff that he didnt want to do instead of properly training me. After your 1st year your salary is set. No more pay increases regardless of how well you do your job. You're forced to work overtime if needed w no advanced notice. Overall it was the worst place i ever worked.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, forced OT, unprofessional supervisors
Good stability
crane operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 13, 2016
This was a great job. My managers and co workers were cool. If you need stability you'll definitely find it at alro steel
Cons
Excellent group of people to work with
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  horicon wiApril 21, 2016
The office culture was great. There was no divide among management and office staff or shop employees. Smaller office so you wore lots of hats. The company went public while I worked there and you didn't even feel the changes. The GM was great kept you informed the whole time. Inside sales manager was excellent too really appreciated her employees and let them know. She wouldn't ask you do to anything that she wouldn't do herself. The benefits were good also 80/20 plan. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Management was caring and listened to all employees
Cons
can't think of any
Competitive Company
Crain operator and loader (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 7, 2016
Was the lead crane operator on 3rd shift loading trucks. Each truck averaged 45,000 pounds of a verity of different types of steel and I loaded 11 trucks a night and unloaded about 3 trucks from the other Alro Steel Companies. I worked a lot of overtime and would stay and help the 1st shift employees'. It's a very busy company and there was never a slow night. I was in charge of two other employees making sure that each truck was load properly by how the driver was going to make his stops throughout the day.
Pros
Fast pace job. Always busy
Cons
Warehouse had too much stock and not enough room.
Is there Management at Alro Lansing? I wasn't aware
Machine Handler (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 17, 2016
Basically management will dictate anything you do there, so you do it and then a week goes by and they check video tapes and write you up on pretty much what they told you to do. They don't know what they're doing, but the job pays decent and the employees on your shift will be helpful to you
Pros
Health Care, Starting wages
Cons
Cap out after 2 years
Great Company
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 15, 2016
Company on paper is great. They have great policies and procedures but local management plays favorites at annoying levels and makes for a very unappreciated work environment. No accountability. Little room for advancement unless you are willing to relocate.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay
Cons
Local management doesn't represent company well
Nice work place
Hi-Lo/ Crane Driver (Current Employee) –  Detroit MichiganFebruary 29, 2016
It's employee's are nice and management is great.I was responsible for measureing and wrapping steel supplies,and I also had to load and unload trucks using an overhead crane and a hi lo.
Pros
health care and life insurance benefits
Cons
no breaks
Excellent Company
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Clare, MIJanuary 18, 2016
Alro is a wonderful company to be employed with. Alro's Mission Statement: To ensure the long term success of Alro and it's people by exceeding our customers' expectations.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 13, 2016
Responsible for pulling order in the warehouse using a forklift, cherry picker and scanner. Also loading and unloading trucks at the docks.
A great place to grow.
Lead in Sheets Department (Former Employee) –  Beech Grove, INNovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed my time at Alro Steel. The people I worked with always had your back and worked really hard for each other. I learned a lot while I was there and grew as a person. I learned how to lead, work hard, how to help and interact with customers, and work with different types of machinery.
Alro Steel
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 9, 2015
Alro is a good place to work. the benefits are great and the shifts are built pretty solid and overtime is always and option. However the supervisors are lacking in leadership skills.
Not enough workers to get the work done
Shear opperator (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 25, 2015
Alro was very poor at getting enough people hired to do the work that needed to be done. The bosses were all really good guys. All the workers were great guys to.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long way to drive daily
odd place
employee (Former Employee) –  alroSeptember 1, 2015
Management did not know how to develop and lead people. Very slow to make any changes in such a mid sized company. Company was content with keeping people in the same positions with limited opportunities.
Pros
opportunity to self learn industry
Cons
management
Good job to improve work skills
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 10, 2015
I was about to learn how to operate two types of equipment that I did not have experience with. Learning the equipment was the best part of the job.
Pros
Able to learn new skills
Cons
Old equipment
productive and fun place to work, lack of management
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  indianapolis, inJune 29, 2015
its an ok place to work. the management is pretty out of touch of what is actually going on in the warehouse. there is definitely a different standard for warehouse employees compared to office employees. sometimes it causes a lot of tension in the work place. room for advancement is slim to none. whatever job you get hired in for is more than likely the job you will always do! good luck with getting to sales or management! the people out in the warehouse make it a unique and enjoyable atmosphere. most people are laid back and just get their job done.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
raises
Successful and Employee Oriented Organization
Press-Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 25, 2015
A typical day at Alro Steel includes running the press-brake and forming steel. This organization is a very successful business that enables their employees to become successful as well.
Pros
Health Insurance, Stability
Cons
2nd Shift, Limited Room for Advancement
Good coworkers
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 2, 2015
Not the best job in the world but it was ok. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Considering that it was in Lansing, MI the pay was good for that area. Great benefits, good coworkers, etc. I just wish the environment itself were better.
Pros
Pay, coworkers, benefits
Cons
environment
Long and Busy Days
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 17, 2015
Employees were lazy causing others to take up the slack most of the time. Due to ignorant employees had to work long hour days, but enjoy the salary. Management is great takes all issues into consideration, works well with employees and customers. Has great opportunity to advance.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Work Days
fast pace
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIApril 24, 2015
met customers demands but supervision expected too much out of you especially knowing that the training is very crash course.
Pros
great pay
Cons
supervision isnt the greatest
high pressure fast pace job
Material handler (Current Employee) –  milwaukee wiMarch 29, 2015
this job is so cut -throat it makes no sense... the floor supervisor think they slave master.. the job culture is so toxic..
Pros
nice employees
Cons
short breaks