Alro Steel Employee Reviews

Productive and efficient workplace with decent care for employees.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMarch 14, 2014
A typical day was to get ready and put on safety gear, get to your post and see what is needed to be done, organize, prioritize, and get started. I learned a lot about metal (different types and grades), how to use heavy machinery, and to package. The higher management employees were really good people and good at what they do. The immediate supervisors however are where the problem comes in. Some are better than the others, but the one I had was not so great. He did not like to do any work at all, and would not help in situations of need. He did not like my brothers (One was a competing supervisor for a position he wanted, and the other works under him). Therefore, he did not treat me well, even though most of the other coworkers did not like him either, due to poor treatment and lack of work ethic. The poor treatment, I believe, took part in why I was let go during my probation. No other management is ever on the floor to supervise the supervisors. They also will believe the supervisor over regular employees. Other than that, most of the coworkers were nice, I got along with them, and were all hard workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance the speed they wanted, with the safety, and perfection required in such a short time and lack of training. The most enjoyable parts were working with the other employees, using the heavy machinery, and the physical aspect of the job. I liked the overall job, but I was wrongfully let go. I am a hard worker and don't believe my performance was an issue.
Pros
free lunch one day of the week, decent pay, and great benefits.
Cons
too strict on new employees, not too many great supervisors at immediate level
Great company with better benefits. Plenty of opportunities for overtime.
Saw Operator Lead (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILMarch 19, 2015
I learned how to work in an incredibly fast time crucial work environment. A typical day consists of processing customer orders to ship to that customer before the end of your shift using multiple forms of machinery. Management contains a solid group of strong leaders that are predominately hired from within. The hardest part of the job is when the other shifts are inconsiderate or forgetful and you have to recover from that lack of communication. The best part of the job is the camaraderie shared by most employees and the overall friendly and welcoming atmosphere that gets you through the good and the bad days.
Pros
steep pay increase over the first year, plenty of room for advancement
Cons
strenuous work loads
A dim place
WAREHOUSE (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 24, 2013
There was zero communication from the supervisor to the warehouse employees. How things would work there is that the worker would go to the office and go through the printer and gather the orders for their jobs whether it be shearing, cutting, picking, shipping, or loading. The supervisor would also take over 2 hour lunch breaks. It wasn't a safe working environment and had my foot crushed by a bundle of 40ft steel tubes, then was blamed for the accident when I wasn't controlling the crane, just guiding it, while the other person was the person who sat the bundle down on the ground for no reason at all. He was hired a full-time position after while I was let go.
Cons
everything about that place as a warehouse worker was completely horrible
Stable job, but not the career for me
Warehouseman (Process Team Leader) (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 22, 2013
I have never done warehouse work before, but I've learned that I'm not really cut out for it.

Overall, management is good, and the coworkers are usually helpful in the team environment.

It's a good place to learn warehouse work, and there's no threat of job loss if you show up and do your job. The pay is good for a job that doesn't require any higher education.
Pros
the benefits are very good; vacation, medical, dental, optical, 401k, paid holidays, and a regular work schedule.
Cons
cross-training is weak there, it's a union job so everyone (the lazy and the diligent workers) is rewarded the same, not much room for growth unless you're willing to stick it out for many years or relocate
Garbage
machine operator (Former Employee) –  bolingbrook ilOctober 21, 2013
You want a decent place to work? Well look a little further then alro steel, Bolingbrook branch is among the worst managed facility quite possibly on the face of this planet. They think they can train new people there with people that have been there 6mo haha, they will expect you to be absolutely perfect in everything you do or else you WILL get a q.i.r. and have to explain yourself to an idiot goofball in the office. The leader of the pack over there will fire you for his own personal reasons, I seen it happen twice. You will be treated like a roach there believe me, they have absolutely know idea whats going on over there. Heres what I say, SCREW BLUE!!!! GOOOO UNION!!!
Cons
everything
productive and fun place to work, lack of management
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  indianapolis, inJune 29, 2015
its an ok place to work. the management is pretty out of touch of what is actually going on in the warehouse. there is definitely a different standard for warehouse employees compared to office employees. sometimes it causes a lot of tension in the work place. room for advancement is slim to none. whatever job you get hired in for is more than likely the job you will always do! good luck with getting to sales or management! the people out in the warehouse make it a unique and enjoyable atmosphere. most people are laid back and just get their job done.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
raises
dont work here
former driver (Former Employee) –  carnegie,paApril 17, 2012
i had the recent misfortune of working for the alro steel in carnegie, pa. the loads were never loaded on time. the managment was always yelling at each other and the employees. they created such an unsafe work enviroment that my fellow employees were being injured almost constantly. i strongly suggest that if you value your sanity and love your family , i would never work for this company, no matter how much they pay.......f.y.i. they are outsourcing all the driver jobs to an outside carrier because its cheaper. so in short......this company sucks and cares only of money not employees or their safety.
Cons
many
fast pace working environment
Material Handler/Sub Foreman (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 24, 2014
a typical day at work insists of starting at 10pm and working until 630am. I do my preshift inspections of the equipment assigned to me. Then I get right into loading and unloading semi trailers with steel. I learned how to take on my foreman duties for when he is sick and am always asking him what is new and what I should need to know so I don't get stuck when he is not there. Co-workers are great we work well as a team.
Pros
buys us lunch once a week
Cons
management talks to you like you dont know whats going on
deplorable
maintenance supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit MichiganAugust 6, 2013
This is one of the most unprofessional environments I've ever worked in my life. be careful of the mission statement it says it all! "Alro and it's people" if your not one of managements favorites you won't advance based on merit! Detroit is one of three locations under a district manager that doesn't backup his Foreman and superintendents! I was an employee for over ten years and was"phased out" due to stirring the pot by calling human resources on a supervisor for making inappropriate threats. Do not work here!
The company is very good to its employess
Industrial steel Saw, (Former Employee) –  Clare, MIJuly 30, 2014
Work in your department, doing your assigned jobs. Management will walk up to see what your day consists of and thats the only time you seem them, so in other words they do not breath down your throat as long as you do not give them a reason. The benefits and pay are fair, there is usually overtime and that is only if you want it, with that being said weekends off.
Pros
paid steel toe boots and college courses, good management all the way to corporate
Great compensation, Poor managment
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Potterville, MIJuly 9, 2013
Stressful, fast paced, unforgiving with deadlines, 110 degrees in the summer and 40 degrees in the winter(inside), employees were out numbered by management 3 to 1(Everyone was everyone else's boss. Very confusing). Co-workers worked as a team to get the job done, even though the job was hard we all got along very well. Best part of the job was finishing for the day and knowing that we all worked our hardest to get there. Extremely gratifying.
Never work here
Warehouse/Saw Operator/Truck Loading (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 2, 2014
Alro is the worst managed place I have ever worked for. Work ethic means nothing to these people. 80% of the employees are lazy and just skate by and are allowed to do so because of the so called "Union". And don't expect to move up in this company unless your daddy is the boss or your in real close with the higher ups. This place is such a joke
Pros
decent pay, good benefits
Cons
everything else
A great place to have a career not a job in between
Bar Puller (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 5, 2012
It was great warehouse position that requries alot of attention and alot of hours to put into it. The management is favoritism to certain employess and the benefits are really good
Pros
take breaks when you want, pays good, great benefits
Cons
favortism, lost of overtime either in the week, mandatory weekends, hot environment
Long and Busy Days
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 17, 2015
Employees were lazy causing others to take up the slack most of the time. Due to ignorant employees had to work long hour days, but enjoy the salary. Management is great takes all issues into consideration, works well with employees and customers. Has great opportunity to advance.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Work Days
Never work here
Anything warehouse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis MoApril 5, 2013
Typical day consist of working for a supervisor that was once found guilty of manslaughter and has no clue as to what he is doing. Favoritism by management. If you do no fit in they will force you out. No professionalism.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
dangerous environment, childish behavior by co workers as well as managment
warehouse of steel
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 15, 2014
Great company to work for... The office had no room for advancement. Co-workers are great. Micro managed and this makes doing you job a bit more harder... This was also the hardest part of the job.. Most enjoyable part of the job was networking and meeting people from other countries and other plants
A great place to grow.
Lead in Sheets Department (Former Employee) –  Beech Grove, INNovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed my time at Alro Steel. The people I worked with always had your back and worked really hard for each other. I learned a lot while I was there and grew as a person. I learned how to lead, work hard, how to help and interact with customers, and work with different types of machinery.
Great place, just not for me.
Inventory Control/Receiving /Security (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 29, 2015
Great place to work with great people.
Good money, long days.
7-7 hour days of counting inventory and watching security camera.
Hardest part was wearing the steel toe boots.
I loved that job so much, and I really enjoyed all the laughs and hard workers.
Pros
Good Management
Successful and Employee Oriented Organization
Press-Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 25, 2015
A typical day at Alro Steel includes running the press-brake and forming steel. This organization is a very successful business that enables their employees to become successful as well.
Pros
Health Insurance, Stability
Cons
2nd Shift, Limited Room for Advancement
great company core values, success culture is very important to Alro
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 23, 2013
I was not as admin and clerical minded as I had hoped to thrive as an inside sales rep. unfortunately, there were no outside sales reps either available or soon opening. I wanted to better myself and grow more as a manager of a territory