Alro Steel

Alro Steel United States Employee Reviews

high pressure fast pace job
Material handler (Current Employee), milwaukee wiMarch 29, 2015
Pros: nice employees
Cons: short breaks
this job is so cut -throat it makes no sense... the floor supervisor think they slave master.. the job culture is so toxic..
Great place, just not for me.
Inventory Control/Receiving /Security (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Good Management
Cons: None
Great place to work with great people.
Good money, long days.
7-7 hour days of counting inventory and watching security camera.
Hardest part was wearing the steel toe boots.
I loved that job so much, and I really enjoyed all the laughs and hard workers.
Great company with better benefits. Plenty of opportunities for overtime.
Saw Operator Lead (Current Employee), Bolingbrook, ILMarch 19, 2015
Pros: steep pay increase over the first year, plenty of room for advancement
Cons: strenuous work loads
I learned how to work in an incredibly fast time crucial work environment. A typical day consists of processing customer orders to ship to that customer before the end of your shift using multiple forms of machinery. Management contains a solid group of strong leaders that are predominately hired from within. The hardest part of the job is when the other shifts are inconsiderate or forgetful and you have to recover from that lack of communication. The best part of the job is the camaraderie shared by most employees and the overall friendly and welcoming atmosphere that gets you through the good and the bad days.
It was hard work.
Order Puller (Former Employee), Niles, MichiganFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: union steel member.
Cons: there was not very much training or help.
I was the sheet man, I pulled orders of sheeted steel. I packed orders and staged them for truck loading. I also stocked shelves and operated an overhead crane.
Ran out of time but trying to wrap up this online
Superintendent (Former Employee), Jackson, MINovember 30, 2014
Pros: ran out of time but trying to wrap up this online
Cons: ran out of time but trying to wrap up this online
Ran out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this onlineRan out of time but trying to wrap up this online
warehouse of steel
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Joliet, ILSeptember 15, 2014
Great company to work for... The office had no room for advancement. Co-workers are great. Micro managed and this makes doing you job a bit more harder... This was also the hardest part of the job.. Most enjoyable part of the job was networking and meeting people from other countries and other plants
Alro is a great company to work for...many perks
Saw Operator/Burning Department/Grinder (Former Employee), Cuyahoga Falls, OHAugust 27, 2014
Pros: good pay exclelent health care and 401k
A very good place to work,top management. safety oriented over all a great place to work
The company is very good to its employess
Industrial steel Saw, (Former Employee), Clare, MIJuly 30, 2014
Pros: paid steel toe boots and college courses, good management all the way to corporate
Work in your department, doing your assigned jobs. Management will walk up to see what your day consists of and thats the only time you seem them, so in other words they do not breath down your throat as long as you do not give them a reason. The benefits and pay are fair, there is usually overtime and that is only if you want it, with that being said weekends off.
Clean and Organized Facility and Equipment
Band Saw Operator (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 26, 2014
Pros: room for advancement
Cons: worked at night so never got any sleep.
nice people and excellent opportunities. the Expectations were high but that was only to see that the employees succeeded and did well at what they were doing.
looking for a better place to work.
manual miller (Current Employee), Aurora, ILJuly 14, 2014
Alro isnt a bad place to work but my commute is more then 90 miles round trip a day plus I see no room for advancement as millers are not allowed to bid on other jobs.
fast pace company
Laborer (Former Employee), Beech Grove, INJune 24, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, people
Cons: hours
the people and the management were the best part of this job! I learned to use every piece of equipment. Hardest part of the job was never knowing what time I was I was going to get off!
No room for advacment
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Niles, MIMay 11, 2014
Pros: paid by the job
Cons: no breaks
Simple job Haul steel to customers fighting traffic and meeting new people.
Great Job
Warehousemen (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 28, 2014
A good hard working competitive environment. Reat benefits and great work if your looking in that field.
Productive and efficient workplace with decent care for employees.
Material Handler (Former Employee), University Park, ILMarch 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch one day of the week, decent pay, and great benefits.
Cons: too strict on new employees, not too many great supervisors at immediate level
A typical day was to get ready and put on safety gear, get to your post and see what is needed to be done, organize, prioritize, and get started. I learned a lot about metal (different types and grades), how to use heavy machinery, and to package. The higher management employees were really good people and good at what they do. The immediate supervisors however are where the problem comes in. Some are better than the others, but the one I had was not so great. He did not like to do any work at all, and would not help in situations of need. He did not like my brothers (One was a competing supervisor for a position he wanted, and the other works under him). Therefore, he did not treat me well, even though most of the other coworkers did not like him either, due to poor treatment and lack of work ethic. The poor treatment, I believe, took part in why I was let go during my probation. No other management is ever on the floor to supervise the supervisors. They also will believe the supervisor over regular employees. Other than that, most of the coworkers were nice, I got along with them, and were all hard workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance the speed they wanted, with the safety, and perfection required in such a short time and lack of training. The most enjoyable parts were working with the other employees, using the heavy machinery, and the physical aspect of the job. I liked the overall job, but I was wrongfully let go. I am a hard worker and don't believe my performance was an issue.
Great boss
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 10, 2014
My boss here was a friend and he always was in a good mood which made the work despite the fact that it was the hottest summer on record.
fast pace working environment
Material Handler/Sub Foreman (Current Employee), University Park, ILFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: buys us lunch once a week
Cons: management talks to you like you dont know whats going on
a typical day at work insists of starting at 10pm and working until 630am. I do my preshift inspections of the equipment assigned to me. Then I get right into loading and unloading semi trailers with steel. I learned how to take on my foreman duties for when he is sick and am always asking him what is new and what I should need to know so I don't get stuck when he is not there. Co-workers are great we work well as a team.
Never work here
Warehouse/Saw Operator/Truck Loading (Current Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: decent pay, good benefits
Cons: everything else
Alro is the worst managed place I have ever worked for. Work ethic means nothing to these people. 80% of the employees are lazy and just skate by and are allowed to do so because of the so called "Union". And don't expect to move up in this company unless your daddy is the boss or your in real close with the higher ups. This place is such a joke
GARBAGE
machine operator (Former Employee), bolingbrook ilOctober 21, 2013
Cons: everything
You want a decent place to work? Well look a little further then alro steel, Bolingbrook branch is among the worst managed facility quite possibly on the face of this planet. They think they can train new people there with people that have been there 6mo haha, they will expect you to be absolutely perfect in everything you do or else you WILL get a q.i.r. and have to explain yourself to an idiot goofball in the office. The leader of the pack over there will fire you for his own personal reasons, I seen it happen twice. You will be treated like a roach there believe me, they have absolutely know idea whats going on over there. Heres what I say, SCREW BLUE!!!! GOOOO UNION!!!
A dim place
WAREHOUSE (TEMP) (Former Employee), Louisville, KYSeptember 24, 2013
Cons: everything about that place as a warehouse worker was completely horrible
There was zero communication from the supervisor to the warehouse employees. How things would work there is that the worker would go to the office and go through the printer and gather the orders for their jobs whether it be shearing, cutting, picking, shipping, or loading. The supervisor would also take over 2 hour lunch breaks. It wasn't a safe working environment and had my foot crushed by a bundle of 40ft steel tubes, then was blamed for the accident when I wasn't controlling the crane, just guiding it, while the other person was the person who sat the bundle down on the ground for no reason at all. He was hired a full-time position after while I was let go.
deplorable
maintenance supervisor (Former Employee), Detroit MichiganAugust 6, 2013
This is one of the most unprofessional environments I've ever worked in my life. be careful of the mission statement it says it all! "Alro and it's people" if your not one of managements favorites you won't advance based on merit! Detroit is one of three locations under a district manager that doesn't backup his Foreman and superintendents! I was an employee for over ten years and was"phased out" due to stirring the pot by calling human resources on a supervisor for making inappropriate threats. Do not work here!

About Alro Steel

Alro Steel runs its service centers like a grocery store for metals, keeping what customers need in easy reach. The service center – Read more

Alro Steel Salaries