ALSTOM Employee Reviews

Coworkers are awesome but management is a joke
Electrician/Wire puller (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYJanuary 18, 2017
Management wants the Hornell site to fail and been furloughed and laid off twice in a 6 month period. And no matter how well you do your job (and other people's jobs) you still aren't doing enough to get any sort of praise. And pay is no where near as high as other companies for same job duties. About $8 less than other manufacturers.
Decent
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYJanuary 13, 2017
Company pays well, but location at Hornell, NY is in serious need of updating. Furthermore, the company is French owned which offers great benefits but French management is something one needs to learn to understand or it will be a difficult road. Some of the leaders have a very difficult accents to understand. These accents will require your patience as well as continual follow-up ensuring you are fully understanding of what is required, or you will perform against their wishes leading to undesired results and consternation.
Pros
Pay, benefits, and people
Cons
Language barriers, outdated facilities, management challenges
Not recommended
Buyer/Material scheduler (Former Employee) –  Charleroi, PAOctober 21, 2016
I worked for this company for 2 years as a temp employee in the same position, with promise that when a permanent position opened I would be hired on - two opened and I was left as a temp and two new outside people were hired on directly. No benefits as temp, no vaca- management was horrible.
Tubing Manufacturing Facility
PROCESS ENGINEER/CAD DRAFTER/PROJECT ESTIMATOR (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 30, 2016
Days consisted of quoting and receiving in orders for shop floor production and making computer aided drafting detail drawings. I learned a lot about the boiler/power plant business and the fabrication of the tubing that goes into the power plants. Management was fairly relaxed in managing employees as long as everyone did their jobs daily. Co-workers were always easy to get along with and we were all one team that worked together very well. The hardest part of the job could sometimes be managing the constant workload during busy seasons. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see the detail drawings I produced being fabricated and made on the shop floor.
good work hours
Warehouse Associate/ Stockroom (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAFebruary 8, 2017
Come to work early and get off early. Learned how to rotate stock by date. Management was never around. Culture was diverse. Working for little pay was difficult.
Pros
work hours
Cons
pay
The best co-workers you could ask for.
Journeyman Boilermaker Grade 1 (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 12, 2016
This may sound like a disgruntled workers rant but it is the truth. This place has been around since the early 1900's. When I started work there it was regarded as the place you could work for until you retired. That it is not. Over the years with multiple buy outs and management changes it became a place to make money until you found another job. The management team are all young and inexperienced. They were always fighting among each other, which they couldn't keep to themselves. The best part of this place was the co-workers. You could not ask for better people to work beside. They were always helpful and always giving. Giving not only knowledge but in every aspect of life. If you were out of work for a while or a loved one died, we took up money to give to that person or family.
Pros
Co-Worker culture, Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Vacation Shutdowns, Mismanagement
Alstom
Lead Project Controls Service Manger (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 4, 2016
Alstom was a great company. Benefits were great. Great work environment along with a good work life balance. They are now GE and taking on several changes.
Enjoyed being sent to Switzerland for training
Senior CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 29, 2016
Worked with some of the best people. learned a lot about different cultures, technologies and machining methods. The hardest part of this job is being shut down and all of my coworkers going different directions.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
GE closing the facility
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 17, 2017
Many opportunities for advancement. Knowledgeable people willing to help. Learned a lot dealing with overseas partners. Enjoy seeing an idea come to life on the shop floor.
Pros
Opportunity
fun place to work
Senior Fabricator / Grinder and Polisher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 13, 2016
Fun place to work ,great pay . would recommend to anybody who is looking to for great pay and a fun place to work. Great co-workers and management . You can learn a lot .
Pros
good pay
Wonderful Job
Translator (Former Employee) –  Centre, ALJune 21, 2016
The first time i have started that Job,it was amazing to observe and understand the different accent of the workers that i had to translate for.
I learned so much about their leadership,the way they set and find out solutions about any problems.
The hardest part of the job is when i had to assist the Mechanical-engineers,i was obliged for the first time to wear a security belt of iron and other equipment really heavy and being on the top of a bridge very high just to communicate anything they need.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is when i got myself very comfortable,without any doubt,fear about the issues, I made the manager and the engineers love me, And i felt so proud for when i had to quit the job for reasons of my University's career, everybody was crying to show how important i was, and how sad they feel to miss me.
Excellant place of employment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 12, 2017
Opportunity to work closely with various highly skilled disciplines to execute multi million dollar projects, exciting and challenging.
Pros
Extremely challenging
Cons
job security
Great job, just short term working
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelocta, PANovember 10, 2016
I loved working for APComm Power. Job had room for advancement and great pay. People were good but none of the ones that i worked with are still with the company. major down fall was that it was tempory and the locations changed
Learned a lot
Test Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 13, 2017
Alstom Grid is one of the top vendors for energy management systems. The internship provided my hand-on experience of software development, testing and debugging.
Cons
Not many options for lunch
Good company but poor technical work
CAD Designer (Former Employee) –  QatarSeptember 30, 2016
I worked Alstom Transport 1 year in Qatar LRT Project , this company policy and benefits is good. but technical work quality is very poor and Recruitment also below average. They are promoting very less experience people to Top position
various levels of manufacturing challenges daily
Supplier Quality Engineer, Manufacturer (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYAugust 28, 2016
Typical day consist of team meetings,and supplier meetings. CAPA, fair analysis. Root cause investigations.qualifaction and documention review.Manufacturing and inspection training.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
lack of formal training
Supply Chain team is not open to new ideas and leadership.
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Grain Valley, MOApril 27, 2016
Not a positive team work environment. Most immature, negative group of people have worked with in many years of background working with diverse groups. Tight cliché that works against new leaders and ideas. Associates are quick to try and push off problems to others and complain rather than take ownership to problem solve.
Leadership is all over the place and does not provide achievable direction. Surprised to find that they are easily influenced by emotions and outside influences versus the facts to make comprehensive decisions.
Benefits
Cons
No trust or collaboration
Great company to work for and enjoyed the challenges and tasks of the job
Furnace Operator - Boilermaker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed my work and time at Alstom Power. I am no longer there due to company lay-offs and downsizing. I feel that I worked and performed my job well and learned many new skills. I enjoyed great benefits and insurance and appropriate increased in salary while there. Management was fair and amicable. Co-workers are now life long friends and had a great work experience with them.
Pros
Great co-workers, Good benefits
Cons
ALSTOM / GE Has been a great company to work for!
Truck Driver / Material handler (Current Employee) –  Dunlevy, PAApril 6, 2016
I have enjoyed my last nine months of employment with ALSTO / GE. I am looking forward to many more years as a valuable asset to the company and eager to learn more about the production of our products.

The work is steady and fast paced most often and being accurate is a challenge at times. One that I feel I am up to!

Learning the SAP inventory control system.

Management is knowledgeable and helpful.

Most of the co-workers are helpful as well. Easy to get along with.

The weather outside in the winter was the roughest part thus far.

The Company meetings. Honestly, the food!
Pros
Free lunches from time to time
Cons
The weather in the winter, heat in the summer.
Good people and a good product - lack training for all employees but specifically the new employees
Lead-Buyer (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Hectic and disorganized and little to no training. The hardest part of the job was the language barrier. Great people and exciting new project were the highlights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALSTOM. Our community is ready to answer.