Bicycle sharing is a sustainable, healthy, and community-based transport option that enhances urban livability and mobility.
Alta Bicycle Share, contractor to the City of Columbus and operator of the City of Columbus Bike Share program, is seeking a General Manager to oversee all aspects of ongoing operations. Core program functions include: program marketing & corporate sales; bicycle & station operations; shipping/receiving and inventory control; client and customer service; and budget management.
Reporting to the Operations Director, the General Manager is accountable for overall success of the Program as measured by program P & L, performance in core program functions, and client and customer satisfaction. Primary responsibilities include sales & marketing strategy development and implementation; staff recruitment, training oversight, leadership and coaching; client and customer service; and contract negotiation and compliance. Ideal candidates will be diplomatic delegators with a track record of safety and success managing multifaceted operations with a diverse and committed workforce.
Manage all aspects of Bike Share program in areas of marketing, customer service, administration, and oversee all aspects of ongoing operations with a focus on ways to strengthen connections between the Bike hare Program and the Columbus community.
- Hire, train, schedule, and manage a diverse workforce to necessarily and continually accomplish core program functions. Delegate tasks as needed.
- Coordinate and maintain strong ongoing relationships among multiple constituents. This includes representatives from community-based organizations, the public sector, universities, and industry.
- Ability to work in a team culture that embraces a mission-driven, team-oriented, environmentally sustainable organization.
- Ability to work effectively with subcontractors, community members, media, colleagues, managers and City of Columbus agency representatives.
- Sell corporate memberships to The Bike Share Program to businesses and universities:
o Develop and implement corporate membership sales plan.
o Deliver value to corporate members through customer service and program development linked to health initiatives.
o Initiate active engagement opportunities.
- Plan effective health education programs and activities.
- Ongoing messaging on social media outlets.
- Coordinate with Marketing Specialist and Sponsorship Contractor to manage sales and marketing efforts.
- Write and distribute press releases that promote our sponsors and corporate members in coordination with the City of Columbus.
- Support Marketing Specialist at community marketing and social media events.
- Support Operations Manager to accomplish operational functions including bike and station deployment, maintenance, repair,
- Assist with ground level responsibilities during peak operation times.
- Manage multiple subcontracts.
- Lead collaboration with clients and sponsors.
- Continuous operation with adherence to policies, contracts, and budgets.
- Implement, improve, and share operational best practices.
- Ensure strict adherence to safety policies and procedures.
- Forecast revenues and expenses, and manage a budget.
- Ensure reports, invoices and purchase orders are complete delivered on time to project officers and managers.
- Maintain strong client and vendor relations.
- Ensure overall success of Alta Bicycle Share in the Columbus area.
- Communication Skills: Collaborate and communicate effectively; requires listening, strategic context, win-win negotiating, situational leadership; great written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Leadership Skills: Inspire and motivate employees to successfully achieve operational goals; provide a stable, positive environment that challenges and develops employee potential; remove obstacles that interfere with team goals; earns respect of team and clients alike.
- Interpersonal Skills: Maintain confidentiality; remain open to others' ideas; demonstrate willingness to try new things.
- Resource Management: Find creative ways to accomplish goals in the face of resource constraints; develop and manage realistic operating budgets that accomplish program objectives.
- Continuous Improvement: Proficient in company best practices in each function; looks for ways to improve efficiency and performance; analyzes data to make fact based decisions; incorporates feedback from various stakeholders to improve processes.
- Emotional Intelligence: Self-aware, easily establishes trust and integrity with clients and staff.
- Adaptability: Enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment; manage competing demands; maintain team focus and optimism when dealing with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Follow instructions; respond to management direction and client requests; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- College degree in business administration, marketing, transportation or related field required. Advanced degree a plus. 7+ years of demonstrated success in the areas of general management, sales/marketing, general operations and finance in a fast growth environment.
- Prior P & L responsibility.
- Ability to identify priorities and focus on critical tasks.
- Must have demonstrated leaderships experience and history of hiring and developing key employees.
- Experience working with government, businesses, and non-profits.
- Strong analytical, organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
- Valid driver's license.
- Passion for bikes, efficiency, or sustainability a plus.
- Sense of humor required.
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Alta Bicycle Share’s Mission.
Alta Bicycle Share is proud to be an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Please, no phone calls
Alta Bicycle Share proudly operates two bike share programs in the the United States.
In 2010, we launched Capital Bikeshare, the nation's...