AltaPointe Employee Reviews

Unclean work place, unfair & dismissive management, patients often mistreated, and dangerous working conditions.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALMay 17, 2017
I can honestly say the ONLY thing beneficial about this company is the insurance benefits. They constantly put female staff on male patients in extremely dangerous situations, the facility is downright disgusting, and most of the coordinators do absolutely NOTHING to assist in problems between staff or patients. Because of the multitude of problems that have taken place most of the staff that are/were good at their jobs have quit or gotten fired so they're even more short staffed than they already were and are consistently overworking what little staff is left.
Pros
Insurance
May 22, 2017

Please contact our Employee Relations Manager at 251-660-2370 regarding any concerns that you have about your previous employment. We provide a culture of improvement for employees and consumers, and are always willing to listen and work toward remedies for all concerns.
Sincerely,
Human Resources

Beneficial for those who want to pursue a career in the mental health field
Behavioral Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 16, 2017
Overall, it is a good place to work. However, upper management can be greedy and not pay attention to much of the lower tier workers. Perfect for those pursuing careers with mental health patients. It'd be a walk in the park for the lower tier workers if the management would pay attention to their NEEDS. Most of those working 12 hour shifts are overworked and under compensated! The only real issue I have with this company is the upper management; they need to pinpoint issues and get them resolved before they lose workers and they're completely short-handed.
Cons
healthcare, not enough pay, long hours, negligent management
Great Place To Work
Professional (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 25, 2017
I enjoy my job. It can be fast paced but that is to be expected given the nature of the population we serve. If find that if you come to work and do your job, there aren't any issues. My coworkers are great and management is fair. I don't think some people understand that work is WORK and we get paid to actually perform a job; not socialize or handle personal business on the clock. I don't have any complaints. Yes the workload can get heavy but you have to learn to multitask and prioritize tasks to complete them.
If you perform your job well, you will be considered for a promotion.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 30, 2017
AltaPointe administration and management works hard at hiring from within whenever possible. Over the past 11 years, I have seen numerous employees earn more advanced positions rather than AltaPointe bringing in someone from the outside. It pays to understand the people served and their illnesses AND treat everyone with dignity and respect, dedicate your days to doing the best job you possibly can, not listen to gripers (always plenty of those), and be an honest, hard-working team player. You will be noticed for these positive behaviors.
Pros
Fulfilling work, service culture, strong leaders
Cons
AltaPointe must depend on legislative bodies for funding
Productive and excellent place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chatom, ALMarch 28, 2017
Excellent place to work, excellent management. 8 hours per day, Sees a lot of clients, Community Mental Health Center, court liaison, supervises other therapist for license.
interesting and unusal
Behavior Aide (Current Employee) –  Daphne, ALFebruary 24, 2017
this is a job for those that have high tolerance and patients....its a ok job....i enjoy working with most of the employees and the consumer population is cool sometimes.....but then you have your bad days
Pros
u work 3 days a week and make your own schudle
Cons
the individuals you work with at times
Not bad
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 9, 2017
Not a bad place to work, especially if you want to work in the mental health arena. If your a just starting out in the mental health field this would be a good place to start.
Pros
Your not at a desk all day depending on the deparment you work in.
Cons
Low pay
I really enjoy coming to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  West mobileFebruary 1, 2017
I enjoy working at AltaPointe

Wonderful group of people.

Great hours.

The consumers are great to work with and the environment promotes recovery.
Great Place to Start For New Psych Nurses
Acute RN (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 18, 2016
Since my time with AltaPointe, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. When I first started, I felt that orientation was too rushed, but I hung in there and asked questions when needed. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Everyone works as a team. I love the flexible scheduling. As a nurse, I have had the opportunity to enhance my leadership skills.

Management is a bit sketchy. During summer months when the census is low, there's a possibility of being called off of work more than one day within a pay period. Mental Health is a very demanding field but if you apply yourself to giving the absolute best care you will do fine.
Pros
Great Benefits, Self-scheduling
Cons
Low-Censused/Called-off More Than Once A Pay Period
more concern for consumers
Behaviorial Aide (Former Employee) –  Daphne, AlaAugust 6, 2016
I would like to see more concern for the consumers instead of workers just showing up for a pay check. Also better screening of employees due to people lying about education on applications.
I was the Administrative Assistant for the Directorof BayPointe a division of AlltaPointe.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 17, 2016
I handled the day to day schedule of the director which includes attending meetings, taking minutes, assisting the co -directors (5) as needed. I copied, filed and made personnel files for employees. I run errands as needed. I assisted the front office and Receptionist as needed. I handled petty cash on a day to day basis.

I learned how to work with others and assist others as needed no matter what limitations that someone may have.

I worked for 5 different directors in the 12 years that was employed with Altapointe.

I was able to get along and enjoyed working with my co-workers. And when needed, assist them when asked.

The hardest part of my job was the thought that I was not going to be able to complete all the task that were assigned to me each day. Each co-director and the director had different task that I had to fulfill.

My most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help people with dignity and respect. When you work with someone with disabilities, you find that any little thing that makes someone smile makes your day a little better, no matter what you might have going on.
Pros
Feeling rewarded for your actions
Cons
Not feeling like your respected in your job
AltaPointe is the best place I have worked
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 25, 2016
When I read negative reviews about AltaPointe, I can only explain the attitudes as being those of individuals who would be unhappy no matter where they work. AltaPointe is the best company for which I have worked.

My job is challenging and fulfilling. I know what my job expectations are, and if I need clarification about anything, all I have to do is ask my boss. Behavioral healthcare can sometimes be tremendously challenging for people that work directly with patients. However, for those of us that know people who are mentally ill cannot always control behaviors, that fact alone only makes us more determined to help them regain their health.

AltaPointe's administration / CEO work diligently to fight political battles that threaten funding for services, to make sure employee benefits are the best possible on the market and to support employees that give their best to their jobs. I frequently suggest to friends and acquaintances searching for jobs that they go to our website to make application. I plan to stay here until I retire.

Anyone that invests of themselves in their job will do well at AltaPointe.
Pros
Mission, leadership, work environment, benefits
Cons
Love my coworkers and the population I serve
Worker (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 8, 2016
I worked for this company for 4+ years...I learned a lot from working here...things such as how to manage 10+ cases at a time under extreme stress and no support from your superior, how to survive on a low income, etc...these things prepared me to work at ANY poorly managed agency and to appreciate teamwork...however I left and now work at an amazing hospital where it is not a requirement to do 100+ roles...the best thing about working at Altapointe is the lasting friendships I have made...the hardest part is walking into the building everyday knowing that oppression is real...and don't try to move up in the company if your are not an butt kisser or Caucasian...management is nonexistent unless there is an audit...and oh...management will throw you under the bus, so don't count on them to have your back on anything...but as we all know you reap what you sow...so despite the negative, I made sure that everything I did reflected God and my character...and it has truly paid off in my favor...now the harvest that Altapointe is currently reaping...that's another story!!! :) The only way out is to relocate, whether that be to another state or another city, which is what many previous employees have done (I know because I keep in touch with them). The morale of the story: You better have a close relationship with God and understand the impact of bondage and demonic activity if you work here!!!
Pros
Coworkers, the consumers
Cons
Read my review
May 16, 2016

AltaPointe takes all current or prior employee grievances seriously. Please contact Human Resources so that we can investigate your concerns. The employee relations manager can be contacted at 660-2370.

Best company to work for
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 25, 2016
I have worked for AltaPointe for a few years now. Prior to working for AltaPointe, I have worked in other mental health facilities as well as inpatient and residential programs. AltaPointe is by far the BEST company I have ever worked for. The supervisors and administration really care about their employees and do everything within reason to set their employees up for success. I have learned more about myself my professional qualities by working here than I have in the time that I have been in the field (over a decade). The hardest part of my job is the most enjoyable part of my job which is working with a population that wants to be successful but has constant barriers to being successful. My job is to help them overcome those barriers and this is a very fulfilling part of my job.
Pros
pay, flexibility, supervisors, co workers
Culture of corruption
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Mobile County, ALFebruary 23, 2016
I joined this company thinking that it would be a fresh start. Initially, it went well. Quickly, I learned that it would not go well for long. The management of the physicians specifically the CMO would talk negatively about the doctors that worked at the company. I'd never really experienced anything like this- in their presence they would be smiling and sweet and the behind their back they would say terrible things. It wasn't just the CMO but rather most of the upper management. Their attitude towards physicians www terrible. I found myself in a position of being very afraid of what was being said about me behind my back and scared to speak up against what was going on.

I can't describe how terrible it was to work for this company. All the doctors, knew what was going on and it didn't stop because it appeared they were all scared of what would happen if they did. After searching for a way out for two years - I left the company only to find that the management specifically one person had gone to my friend in the company and told slanderous lies about my personal life in an attempt to disparage me.

The corruption doesn't stop there. The company receives state funds to help the poor but won't accept indigent or Medicaid patients in their hospital. All three of the top people in the company sit on the head of the committee that makes decisions about hospital beds and successfully blocked a company from building a psychiatric hospital. At the same time, they attempted to extort more money from the community saying that they were the only company in the area and
  more... if they failed there would be no psychiatric care in mobile.

The company is powerful, has tons of money and that money is only spread among the very top people. There's a culture here of extortion, lies and disregard for workers and the patients that they care for. Read through the reviews of the company. It's only a matter of time before someone finally investigates this company and puts an end to the corruption.

Anyone looking for a job here be warned!!
Pros
Not many
Cons
Many see above
February 25, 2016

Please contact our Employee Relations Manager in Human Resources to share more information about your experience, 660-2370.

Unprofessional and Crude
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 15, 2016
I worked for the company for three months, I was a good employee and barely missed any time at all. We worked the days a week but they called us off most of the time. Right at my 3rd month my grandmother whom I took care of on my death bed passed away not to meantion I got really sick, and they fired me because I called off one day!!!!! I even fought to keep my job but they still fired me and wouldn't pay me for my PTO!!!! My experience there was horrible, they don't clean or dust so people are constantly sick. And they make you close into a room alone, one on one with dangerous consumers all night with no regard for your safety. Between this, and they petty management with there cliques, I don't see how they are still running!
Pros
None!
Cons
Low pay, nasty work place, unfair conditions
Heartless Company
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALNovember 16, 2015
Do not waist your time at this company. Poorly managed, not a secure job, and fickled. Co workers are the only good thing about this place, other than that, is nothing. Please see all the reviews !! You have to be desperate to work here. Management not willing to listen to coworkers.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Save yourself the trouble, it's not worth working here
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bayou La Batre, ALNovember 14, 2015
AltaPointe was my first full time counseling position and I loved my clients, several coworkers, and valued my immediate supervisors. I was also able to obtain supervision hours and my ALC. I did not like the "cattle call" mentality when it came to treating clients- there was always a big push for productivity to get money; I understand a business needs money to run but there was something shady about the way they treated "consumers." I did not approve of keeping people in the system when they did not need to be there any longer. I believe there are many unethical practices going on at the upper management level. Individuals in the HR department were extremely rude. The benefits were not worth it, there was no opportunity to advance, and the pay is low. There were few training opportunities but then again, those took away from productivity and you had to play catch up. I found myself working through my lunch hour to keep up with my work load until I was forced to take a lunch hour but only to have my work load back up on me.... it was a never-ending hill to climb, only when I reached the top would there be more paperwork to go.

A colleague explained once to me that the company did not expect people to stay long and there was much truth in that because the turn over was high. I spent a total of 18 months working as a therapist and when presented with another job opportunity (in social services, not counseling) I took it. I didn't realize how burnt out I was, my biggest fear as a new practitioner, because I was pushed to see so many clients daily. They don't seek
  more... to promote the health and wellbeing of their own mental health practitioners- if they offered an extra day off once a month, and not at the practitioner's expense, that would have made a big difference in moral I think. Quite honestly I would not change my experience for anything but I would not encourage anyone to work here. Unfortunately AltaPointe has the monopoly on mental health in Mobile and Baldwin counties. Before Mobile and Baldwin county merged I almost took a position at Baldwin County Mental Health only to discover of the merger and saved myself from making another mistake.  less
Pros
Clients, developing positive relationship with coworkers
Cons
Low pay, case loads were too heavy, burn out rate is high, no opportunity to advance
They couldn't care less about their employees or patients.
Behavioral Aide Acute (Current Employee) –  Daphne, ALNovember 12, 2015
I love what I do. I hate what I've seen done to others and myself. When we are hired we are told we will get a 90 evaluation, and a raise. This is an outright lie. We are, also, told we will get our 3 scheduled days a week, with plenty of opportunity to make 4 days. This is another lie. We are lucky if we get our 3 days. Do you know the majority of staff struggle to work 2 or 3 jobs because we never know if we are going to get to work our 3 days. You get hired on as full time, but several times a month, they will call you and say they don't need you. I've never witnessed a place that is supposed to be facilitating better mental health be so careless about the mental health of their own employees. And if you happen to stand up and reach out to HR about all this, you will be picked on by management from then on. People are afraid to say anything because this is where they have their insurance etc. All in all, this place is all about money. They aren't in it for their patients and certainly don't care about their employees.
Pros
Experience working in the mental health field
Cons
Low Pay, Low Hours, Low Morale
Productive and Fufilling
Behavior Aide (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 17, 2015
Atlapointe allows you the opportunity to learn a great deal about mental disabilities as well as the clinical side of treatments.
Pros
experinces, education
Cons
long hours, low pay for the amount of work in certain positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AltaPointe. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7