AltaPointe Employee Reviews

Heartless Company
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALNovember 16, 2015
Do not waist your time at this company. Poorly managed, not a secure job, and fickled. Co workers are the only good thing about this place, other than that, is nothing. Please see all the reviews !! You have to be desperate to work here. Management not willing to listen to coworkers.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Save yourself the trouble, it's not worth working here
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bayou La Batre, ALNovember 14, 2015
AltaPointe was my first full time counseling position and I loved my clients, several coworkers, and valued my immediate supervisors. I was also able to obtain supervision hours and my ALC. I did not like the "cattle call" mentality when it came to treating clients- there was always a big push for productivity to get money; I understand a business needs money to run but there was something shady about the way they treated "consumers." I did not approve of keeping people in the system when they did not need to be there any longer. I believe there are many unethical practices going on at the upper management level. Individuals in the HR department were extremely rude. The benefits were not worth it, there was no opportunity to advance, and the pay is low. There were few training opportunities but then again, those took away from productivity and you had to play catch up. I found myself working through my lunch hour to keep up with my work load until I was forced to take a lunch hour but only to have my work load back up on me.... it was a never-ending hill to climb, only when I reached the top would there be more paperwork to go.

A colleague explained once to me that the company did not expect people to stay long and there was much truth in that because the turn over was high. I spent a total of 18 months working as a therapist and when presented with another job opportunity (in social services, not counseling) I took it. I didn't realize how burnt out I was, my biggest fear as a new practitioner, because I was pushed to see so many clients daily. They don't seek
  more... to promote the health and wellbeing of their own mental health practitioners- if they offered an extra day off once a month, and not at the practitioner's expense, that would have made a big difference in moral I think. Quite honestly I would not change my experience for anything but I would not encourage anyone to work here. Unfortunately AltaPointe has the monopoly on mental health in Mobile and Baldwin counties. Before Mobile and Baldwin county merged I almost took a position at Baldwin County Mental Health only to discover of the merger and saved myself from making another mistake.  less
Pros
Clients, developing positive relationship with coworkers
Cons
Low pay, case loads were too heavy, burn out rate is high, no opportunity to advance
They couldn't care less about their employees or patients.
Behavioral Aide Acute (Current Employee) –  Daphne, ALNovember 12, 2015
I love what I do. I hate what I've seen done to others and myself. When we are hired we are told we will get a 90 evaluation, and a raise. This is an outright lie. We are, also, told we will get our 3 scheduled days a week, with plenty of opportunity to make 4 days. This is another lie. We are lucky if we get our 3 days. Do you know the majority of staff struggle to work 2 or 3 jobs because we never know if we are going to get to work our 3 days. You get hired on as full time, but several times a month, they will call you and say they don't need you. I've never witnessed a place that is supposed to be facilitating better mental health be so careless about the mental health of their own employees. And if you happen to stand up and reach out to HR about all this, you will be picked on by management from then on. People are afraid to say anything because this is where they have their insurance etc. All in all, this place is all about money. They aren't in it for their patients and certainly don't care about their employees.
Pros
Experience working in the mental health field
Cons
Low Pay, Low Hours, Low Morale
Productive and Fufilling
Behavior Aide (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 17, 2015
Atlapointe allows you the opportunity to learn a great deal about mental disabilities as well as the clinical side of treatments.
Pros
experinces, education
Cons
long hours, low pay for the amount of work in certain positions
the hardest part of my job
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 26, 2015
I love what I do and my patients love me. Its a very laid back job but can sometimes carry a heavy work load. My coworkers are nice and very helpful when you need them. over all it is a nice place to work.
Good ham
Behavior aid (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALSeptember 18, 2015
After working for this company for many years, the only good thing to say about them is they give good ham. They also gave a pretty good Christmas bonus one year.
A very busy and fun place.
Behavioral Aide Residential (Current Employee) –  Mobile, Alabama 36695August 31, 2015
My job is a place where consumer come to reach their treatment goals. I come in at 7pm, give consumers their medication, talk to each consumer about different topics of their choice. I encourage consumers to make the right choices in decision making in order to stay out of trouble and on the right path.
Pros
You get to help others learn how to take care of their daily needs.
Cons
well night shift can be hard sometimes 7pm-7am.
Fantastic Job with the most amazing people. You will love it.
Behavioral Aide (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 12, 2015
AltaPointe Health Systems has imparted so much into my life and I have imparted so much into the lives of the consumers. It is a fantastic job. I am going to miss working for such an awesome company and around such awesome people. If you are thinking of becoming employed by them you would be making a wonderful decision. Best of luck to you and have a wonderful day.
Definitely not the place to work
staff (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 21, 2015
The only positive thing to say about AltaPointe is the ability to work with others who care for the mentally ill.
At AltaPointe you'll find raises are non-existent. Hours have been cut to 36/week with a small raise to make up the cut in hours. It actually led to a pay cut for everyone involved. While the CEO stated to the County Commission that he had the lowest paid employees in Mobile for healthcare, he was also planning to cut everyones hours and pay. Holidays have been removed unless you are scheduled to work them. Retirement changes constantly. At one time they were with RSA, an excellent retirement fund with the state. Now, they've got another retirement fund that isn't half as good. They seem to change retirement funds every few years. It makes me question whether they're funding anything other than the CEO's pocket. The money from the County and bond funds seem to go for takeovers and not to patient care or employee morale.
This is also a dangerous place to work in regards to safety. When you are attacked, and you will be attacked, by a violent consumer it takes a team effort to protect yourself. Then you may expect to be reprimanded and possibly fired for what they call assault.
Overall, replacing the CEO would be a positive step forward. His goal seems to be to take over mental health in the state at the expense of the employees, patients and community safety.
Pros
Co-works
Cons
Too many to list
workplace
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Daphne, ALJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at work for me is coming to a wild station, I always have to talk or calm a consumer down. The hardest part of my job is that a consumer might be rowdy and try to fight you.
Huge company, but not enough advancement oppuntunities.
Admissions Professional (Current Employee) –  West MobileJanuary 16, 2015
I do intakes most of my work day, and I also work on the weekend collecting money for our substance abuse program. I enjoy my admissions, but I get burned out sometimes since I'm the only one in office who can open an intake. It's a huge turn around, so I don't really have time enough to get use to any of my co-workers. Last, but not least the hardest part of my job is the stress of not having enough staff on duty for months at a time.
Pros
holiday pay, rsa
Cons
low pay, overworked
unprofessional
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Daphne, ALJanuary 8, 2015
They hire about anyone with a GED or diploma, supervision is low. This creates a stressful environment for co-workers and consumers (patients).
Pros
christmas bonus
Cons
lack of supervision
Great company to gain insight of mental illness and gain training.
Assistant Residential Manager (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 26, 2014
I have worked with Altapointe Health Systems for about 7 years and have gain the training needed to work well in the mental health area, and with people living with mental illnesses.
Very Toxic Work Environment
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 14, 2014
Universal disrespectful dictatorial management style from the very top to upper middle management.

Overworked /underpaid front line staff and very middle management.

Everyone is paranoid and HR does not support or listen to direct staff.

No encouragement to actually help clients

Co-workers afraid of upper management

When I was left alone to do therapy or teach I loved it.

What I learned? To Thine Own Self Be True.
Pros
experience
Cons
low pay, no raises, poor inexperience supervisors
I think any good review of this co. is clearly delusional
REAL HUMAN BEING (Former Employee) –  Mobile and baldwin ctyOctober 22, 2014
What can I say positive? ABSolutely nothing! Start with low low pay, and sky high demands with NO SUPPORT. They r all about money money money for the upper echelon and elite within the company which includes CEO Scheslinger. They are uncaring soulless ppl who work in MENTAL HEALTH! It's a Joke! If u were privy to the management decisions you would be appalled. Clients! What clients. They r nothing but conveyor belt, in and out! They focus on pushing them in but quality of care is simply not there. No wonder So many bad reviews. Management style is territorial with no communications and no cooperation. Riddled with wanna be nasty females and emasculated men who r coerced and scared into submission in order to keep a job. A book could be written on HOW NOT TO RUN A COMPANY! There is clearly illegal and much unethical behavior on part of management. Never once did I hear the welfare of the consumer. Never once. This company needs
To be shut down by medicaid. These R your governmental dollars at work. They run a FOR PROFIT mentality with a non profit label. How does a nonprofit run a PROFIT OF MILLIONS. The government needs to shut this down. Shame shame shame. Saw ppl treated like scum. Constant constant change that resulted in nothing but garbage. No thought out decisions, just selfish one sided deals with no consideration on impact on Rest of organization. Liken them to ambulance
Chasing thieves. There is not enough space on here to say all that needs to be said. DO NOT USE THEM FIND ANOTHER PROVIDER. U WILL BE SORRY. U will never get a straight answer or consistency and they
  more... couldn't give a hoot about you, only your BILLING POTENTIAL. stay away please. They need to be driven out of business!  less
Cons
everything
Overall, I would never work for this company!
Former Employee; Thank God (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 12, 2014
During my work experience with Altapointe, I experienced supervisors using former employees user names and passwords to complete assessments which as you all know is highly illegal! I also had a supervisor which attempted to give me this information and instructed me to engage in illegal activity. I declined, and reported this to performance improvement and nothing was done.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
management, budgets, support, and supervisors engaging in illegal activities.
Love my job
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Daphne, ALSeptember 16, 2014
My job here at East Pointe is like no other. I love my job to pieces the atmosphere of all my consumers and my co-workers is indescribeable. Here at East Pointe we focus mainly on the consumers and their needs to better themselves when they leave here. Its a lot of fun being able to learn new things about different people. My job has a overall rating of 5 stars not only because I work here, but bcause I love what I do.
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
non smoking facility
Rewarding job
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 8, 2014
My job was rewarding,and never a dull moment due to the population served.
Average Company
Office Admissions Professional (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 28, 2014
This is a very good company to work for if you have a management position.
Pros
schedule
Cons
pay
A challenging work environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  DaphneMay 30, 2014
A great place to gain experience with the most challenging of psychiatric consumers. Many challenges which require critical thinking and use of clinical skills. A beautiful facility with any resource requested provided.
Hardest part of the job is the negativity of co-workers who always complain, think they have it so bad and always think the grass is greener - funny they always try to come back when they leave - must not be as bad as they make it out to be......
Security is present on all shifts - which is great since you don't find them present at every job - they are helpful to the nursing staff and always respond when called.
Pros
meals available on site; advancement opportunities
Cons
dealing with difficult consumers which is not for everyone.....

2.5