Altar'd State Employee Reviews in United States

Amazing company, awful quality of life
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 13, 2016
Do not work here if you want to have a life outside of work. Plain and simple. Especially not as a salaried manager. While the work is fulfilling, the charity opportunities are amazing and the company culture is kind, you will be given no support from home office. Shipment WILL pile up, things WILL break, and you will have NO hours. What is expected is for management to put in a contractual minimum of 45 hours a week, but this turns easily into 60+. You will eat, sleep, live Altar'd State, while hourly making less than your employees. Stay away!
Pros
Charity opportunities, wholesome enviroment
Cons
Insane hours, no work life balance, no support from home office
I appreciate the focus on Christianity -- hard to come by these days.
BRAND MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSApril 14, 2016
As a key holder, I learned a lot in regards to how to make an impact on conversion. The location just happened to be in a state that didn't pay well generally, but I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with the company.
Pros
Freedom in visual merchandising
Cons
Few managers on staff made it hard to take breaks.
A great visionary, with poor structure.
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXApril 12, 2016
Though, I loved the concept behind the company Altar'd State is still a very new company, who has a lot of learning to do. The company itself lacks structure, and the turnover rate is very high.

The upper level management, is very messy with gossiping, DM's who fight with each other and try to have each other let go.

My store was with out a Store Manager for 5 months. Training was poor, and most of the store line managers have grown to hate the company due to the lack of professionalism and compensations.
Pros
Growing Company, Good vision, Great customer
Cons
Lack of Structure, poor upper managment
Lack of support from upper management here
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 1, 2016
The assistant manager took issue with my Store manager for breast pumping, accused me of planting customer complaint emails, and was completely useless basically. And so what did upper management do? They fired my Store Manager! I was so upset that I quit that same day. The Assistant Manager had no consequences. Also they boast about being a christian store with christian values, but upper management flew their private jet from Columbia, MO to Kansas City, MO.....that is a 2 hour drive folks. I was just disgusted by the practices all around basically.
Pros
Clothes are cute, despite the surplus of bell sleeves
Cons
Bad upper management
Trendy and fun
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 22, 2016
Fast paced but not too overwhelming. Great staff and management. Trendy and fashion forward. Good employee benefits. Very good experience.
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
shortage of hours
Productive, fun workplace
brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2016
I loved working here very inspiring. The hardest thing though was working midnight to 8am. The people were so welcoming.
Pros
Very welcoming, great people
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive Workplace
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at Altar'd State would included greeting customers, and helping them find what they needed. I expanded me organizational skills along with my ability to interact will different kinds of people.My co-workers were very encouraging, especially to new comers, they helped teach me the ways around the store and allowed me grow.
I Hope Things Have Changed
Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 9, 2015
I worked as an unpaid (tsk tsk) intern at the corporate office. While I learned so much about the visual merchandising side of the fashion industry and had a lot of responsibility and voice for an intern, something was always just a little off.

First of all, there were people getting paid $10/hour to do the same job I was doing unpaid. This was probably what eventually made me leave even though I loved the visual side of the work. I didn't like the culture enough to try to transition into paid work, so I'm not sure if that would have been an option. Oh, and the visuals at that time were all done in the home office instead of at each store meaning that there was a lot of weird crafting going on from employees of all departments, not just visual, after hours.

Second of all, it seemed like there was very much a look/feel that they were going for as far as hires go. When I was working there, they used employees from the stores or even young employees from corporate as models instead of actually hiring professionals. I feel like this sets up an unfair way for feelings to get hurt quickly if one girl is asked to model and another isn't.

The marketing department lacks a vision. There was no official copywriter (often the e-commerce descriptions were lifted straight from wholesale). There was no official stylist for any shoots or web content, despite it being a fashion company. They have a formula for the same clothes over and over, but it seems to be working since they opened at least six or seven stores in the few months I was there.

I do like the giving back aspect
  more... of the company. The community is really fun and relaxed (so many dogs at the home office). The people are easy to get along with and always game to help you learn. There is a more diverse group of people in the home office than I would have expected.

But there are so many corners cut that it prevents the brand from being more than a pretty window in a mall full of better thought out and more current merchandise and styling.

I came back to write this review after a lot of thought and because the jobs keep popping up in my searches.
Pros
a lot of responsibility even in small rolls, a chance to learn from the ground up, great people and culture
Cons
not nearly as fun if you don't fit the vibe or look, unpaid!, big company masquerading as small time
Boutique meets Big Box store
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ALNovember 12, 2015
Started with company while there were only a dozen stores nationwide, company doubled practically over night. Christian based company that originally focused on the customer and practicing Christian beliefs as a corporate guideline with profit as #2 until the company expanded as quickly as it did. Then tried to be a boutique and a big box store at the same time. Certain original standards took a back seat and profit became #1 like every other clothing store. The whole vibe seemed to change.

Past all that, the company was still a great company to work for that really seemed to listen to the employees and the customers. CEOs and other corporate level employees made regular trips to visit the stores; they were very accessible.
Pros
employee discount, great environment
Fun Place to work for Associates, Dreadful for Management
KeyHolder (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 5, 2015
The company continues to rely on the excuse of it being a new company and are still learning. They purposely inconvenience management while paying them the absolute bare minimum. Some hiring managers actually pay management associate pay rate and simply explain not to discuss payment. Your time and talents are abused and almost never praised. The only incentives the company gives are store wide discounts on certain items quarterly. This isn't much of an incentive, it simply drives more money into the business and still doesn't show appreciation for its employees. For a first job for someone in high school, as an associate this is a wonderful place and management will make sure they are learning, being productive, as well as having fun. An associate coming from this company will forever be an asset to any other organization that hires them.
Pros
Fun Place for Teens to work
Cons
no benefits for anyone but SM & ASM, No incentives for productivity, Management taken for granted, Huge Management Turnover
Give back
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Short Pump, VAOctober 4, 2015
Love what the Company stands for...giveback brands. Loved working with other organizations. Not a lot of Companies care about other people.
High energy Christian evironment sales oriented
Sales Management and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Birmngham, ALSeptember 14, 2015
Generated sales and maintained sales floor. Also organized the merchandise on the sales floor. Assisted other sales associates in increasing sales by suggesting merchandise for the customer. Designed look and product for store front window to increase customer traffic.
Great co-workers and supervisors. Great place to work at.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 13, 2015
At work I would always have a customer come up to me and ask me to help them find an outfit for a certain occasion. Running back and forth to the fitting rooms happened all the time. Middle of the month we would do stock and have our late nights doing inventory.
Excellent Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 30, 2015
Wonderful atmosphere with family-like staff. Previous management was not supportive/encouraging. Very charitable company overall.
Pros
Charitable, room for growth, good atmosphere
Cons
Poor salary, poor time scheduling
Productive and fun place to work.
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 22, 2015
As a brand representative I helped customers when needed, helped with inventory and mark downs. More of a younger crowd that works at Altar'd State so the environment is fun.
Not what expected
Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2015
I love what this company stands for, but the job has not turned out to be what it was sold to me as. I am very disappointed that I am looking for a new job 2 months in.
Fun place for a high school/college job
Brand Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 7, 2015
The store has a lot of fun things, and it's usually not too busy. People are generally fun to work with, both customer and employee. Management is usually friendly and inviting, but a little unorganized.
"Nice Environment"
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSApril 16, 2015
I absolutely enjoyed working for the company! The atmosphere was super laid back but fun. The management staff at my store was terrible. They were too friendly and showed favoritism amongst each other. There was drama within the management staff which effected the way the sales associates worked.
Pros
40% off discount, beautiful merchandise, merchandise was a great quality
Cons
Terrible management staff, more security (sensors & cameras), and low pay
Great place
assistant store manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 13, 2015
Great job, clocked in and analyzed business plans and goals each day. learned all store ops and business acumen. co-workers were always a pleasure and I loved how charitable the company was. One con was leaving, wish I did not have to.
nothing negative to say
Acting Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 25, 2015
I appreciate all of the opportunities. The work load is heavy, and the pay isn't competitive. But the people that I worked with were worth it.