Altar'd State Employee Reviews

Under pay on all ends of work
Brand Ambassador/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 25, 2017
All employees in the store are under paid. managers included. not willing to work with schedules well. corporate is more worried about opening more stores than perfecting the stores they have. Which in an environment of brick and morter stores dying really shows the inexperience of corporate and the blinders they have on in regards to the fashion industry.
Christian based, give back company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 31, 2017
work 5-7 hour shift
Opening and closing procedures, payroll, scheduling and engagement.
consistant turnover
for a "give back" company they do not compensate employees (especially hourly) fairly.
Overall great merchandise.
Poor management staff
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 30, 2017
Overall the company is still growing so they are still opportunities they will need to learn from. All stores have a high turnover in brand reps and in management due to very low compensation. Hours are ridiculous, especially when it is time for refreshing the store. Be prepared to work the graveyard shift if you get chosen to help with this. Mostly management are all young and early college graduates who have not gotten there feet wet enough to run a million dollar company smoothly.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, scheduling, high turnover, not knowing how to run the store properly
Altard state
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYMarch 21, 2017
they were a great company. i got along with all of my co workers and we were all a team. they are very caring and are christian based. they are building schools in peru and are always out doing good deeds. they were like a second family to me.
Great company with a few bad apples
Operations Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 21, 2017
A typical day at Altar'd State is very long, and very busy. You have to be ready to make use of all of your time, and constantly have a sense of urgerncy. The work load is very heavy and it can certainly be overwhelming. The company's mission makes you want to work hard and strive do your best however, the upper management team at my specific location, was difficult to work for and made it hard to grow as an employee.
Pros
company's positive mission, opportunities the company offers
Cons
heavy work load, not always a positive work enviorment, long and difficult scheduling
Nice Work Place, Cute Clothes
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMarch 13, 2017
I love working here at Altar'd State. I love helping the customers pick out very fun and creative outfits for their many events. I love the stores atmosphere.
Nice products, good volumes.
Guest Engagement Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2017
Job/work life non existent. Especially depending on what DM you have. The morals of the company are great when it comes to a customer, but the moral relationship with the employees, non existent. Needs better HR and Helpdesk, totally unorganized and no one ever seemed to know what to do. And there needs to be a better balance of product per store, as far as how much product a certain store can take. Otherwise it's a ton of product and very little space. Overall needs to sharpen up and treat its employees exactly how they want them to treat their customers. Also the workload is crazy! Being that its salaried they make you do the absolute most and of course your stuck not being paid for it. 60hr work weeks for management is absolutely ridiculous!!
Pros
Good product, good morals
Cons
Pay, workload, job/work life
Fun depending on who you work with
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 7, 2017
I love the people I work with, but home office really lacks interest in learning what people down the line know and can contribute to. Also, home office does a great job at criticizing store, but does not know what praise it. Workers will have no incentive to give their best effort if all they hear is negative comments.
Fun and simple place to work at for a starting job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 3, 2017
Altar'd State was a pretty good place to work at during high school. Other than the short hours, it was fun to be in a nice and stylish environment and help customers find what that wanted to look great in.
Great place to shop...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Beautiful store with amazing product. Loved being able to merchandise freely. Not enough communication, interaction or feedback from upper management.
Pros
Freedom to merchandise creatively
Cons
Low pay, not enough communication from upper management
a lot of work, great learning experience, great coworkers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 26, 2017
I learned a lot about running a business, merchandising without precise directions, it was a lot of work but it helped me learn about different areas of the business that i never experienced before.
Super fun place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAJanuary 10, 2017
The company is great! I met alot of great girls there. It was a very fashion forward store. The music was inspiring as well.
This Place
Baton Rouge - Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 29, 2016
The Altar'd State I worked at was a complete mess. The management there was horrible along with how the store was set up and how Management and Key holders treated you. For example, if for some reason you find out you are unable to work a shift that day it is up to You to find someone to cover and let management know. I've worked in a couple of retail places and even know some friends who work at other altar'd states they never heard of a policy like that. Also Management would schedule you not based on your availability but based on your sales performance so if you were in a situation to where you couldn't be on the floor to make sales or was in the fitting room or doing go backs like i have you didn't have a chance to sale and didn't have a chance engage with customers so you would not get any hours. The way hours were set up and how management handled the store was also a major play in this review. This store is mostly girl employed meaning there will be some type of problems within staff every now and then but when you have different people all coming back saying they are having a problem with key holders and management is not fixing it but only making it worse and gossiping about coworkers and staff like they are below them that is where you draw the line. It is perfectly fine in making friends with staff but for a manger to stoop low as to call a former employee a traitor for quitting due to family issues that is not alright rather its in a playful manor or not. A manger is always suppose to handle everything professional as soon as they step in there store, not treat  more... each employee under them different based on how close she is to them. Overall my experience working in this place was horrible. Key holders wouldn't do there jobs management wouldn't control key holders.  less
Pros
Friendship, and Open enviorment with Customers
Cons
Scheduling wrong, Management, Unprofessional
Guest Lead (Key Holder)
Guest Lead (Key Holder) (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 28, 2016
Overall, it was an okay. I learned a lot and grew as in my management skills. At first co-workers were amazing but there's a high turn over rate due to the demanding hours. Hard work seems to go unappreciated. Really strict dress code, even with a doctors note it was still not allowed. The store environment was fun to work in. Hardest part for me was training new people over and over and struggling to remember everyone's names with all the turnover and having change in the registers. It was never stocked up properly.
Pros
giving customers a breath of fresh air with being a faith based company
Cons
Pay rate, high turn over rate, rude management
Fun environment with a cause
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PADecember 27, 2016
I am obsessed with this company, and the mission behind the brand. It motivates me to want to work for them because not only do they have Christian core values, but they donate a lot of money to local and global charities. The managers are super friendly and truly care about each worker. Everyone is there to help each other and the company flourish. The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching customers about the meaning behind the company and seeing how much it inspires them. The hardest part of the job is just when there are a ton of customers and I have to balance my attention between them all to keep everyone happy.
Wonderful Company!
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 14, 2016
I LOVED working for altar'd state and their amazing team! The company is wonderful and they really do a lot for the local communities of each store and to the organizations they donate to. I miss it all the time!
Great for a first job, but nothing more.
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXDecember 12, 2016
This is a great place to work if you're a basic white girl looking for a first job. If you're ok with very little hours and a joke of a paycheck this is the job you want. I received 4 hours a week and was constantly judged by management and other coworkers. I did not feel like I was a part of a team. I was often sent to the computer to train or to shipment by the managers so I'd be out of sight while the more popular girls got to stand at the register and gossip. But the did make sure to use me for Black Friday and really nothing more than that.
Pros
Discount on rather expensive clothing
Cons
Management, Team Members, Hours
Horrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 15, 2016
It was not a good experience at all! Very judgemental and uncomfortable! It was every day issue with our management! They would constantly make comments in front of customers. If you aren't openly religious you are crusified for it.
Long work days with a high volume store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 11, 2016
There is never enough time or people to get all the work done. Corporate requires each store to complete floor sets and markdowns many times in a quarter which causes stress to employees and managers causing a bad morale on the team.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Working thru the night
Amazing Coworkers and Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYSeptember 18, 2016
I love working here. You get to express yourself with the clothing and help customers with their styles. The coworkers are fun and super sweet! They are amazing when it comes to scheduling. I just do not get paid enough there.
Pros
Coworkers, environment
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altar'd State. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7