Altera Corporation Employee Reviews

Altera is now being acquired by Intel
Customer Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 2, 2015
Altera is going through a transition period as it is being acquired by Intel. As such, job responsibilities are focused on supporting this transition.
Positive and competitive work environment.
Customer Loyalty Specialist (Former Employee) –  14201 Cherry Lane Court, Laurel Md 20707March 30, 2015
Work consists of excellent customer service experience, with the chance to get an understanding of how to manage difficult customer satisfaction needs. A lot of the work is self taught with little to no supervision, I worked with about 4 other girls in the office taking care of multiple of duties to get the day done as a team. The hardest part of the job was making sure everyone was on the same page at all times. Communication was key in our office. The most enjoyable part of being apart of Alterra was the competitive work environment, it drives you to become better at what you do.
Pros
commission advances, work schedule (8-5), breaks
Cons
winter time schedule
Joyful workplace with great work ethics.
Applications Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 17, 2014
As an intern at Altera for nearly 7 months, I much about preferable digital design. I finalized application notes for one of Altera's devices to be released. For these app notes, I created error free and latch free designs. I also added self-checking testbenches and timing constraints. Aside from this project, I learned to migrate outdated designs to Quartus II v14.0 and to newer devices. I also wrote a Python script to automate the monitoring of internal document-related bugs. With all these projects I learned to work within a Linux environment. The hardest part of this job was learning the new environments and software tools. Once I became familiar with the processes, the job became second nature. The most enjoyable part of this job was working on a team. It was a lot of fun putting our heads together to solve a problem and then implement a solution.
Good work life balance, but spotty management and bad morale
Senior IP Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 13, 2014
Overworked, stressed out employees with poor leadership which leads to bad morale.
Pros
good pay, good work life balance
Cons
overworked employees, poor morale
Overall Good Company to build your Design Skills
Member of Technical Staff (MTS) (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2014
Mostly 10-7pm timings because of evening interaction with offsite team Penang, Malaysia. Learned different design skills from product definition to production tapeout. Huge worked load these days to be competetive in the market. Many Management changes recently is the worst part. Co-workers are the best part at Work.
The Management was not helpful
Prep/Cook/ (Former Employee) –  san jose caJuly 22, 2014
I learned a lot about different types of food. I unloaded the day's inventory. I cleaned and prepped for caterings.
Good place to work.
Manager/Product Manager SAP BI/EPM/Big Data (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 22, 2014
Good and hardworking place to work.
Good benefits and compensation.
Good company, very hierarchical, long hours at all levels
Director Cisco Global Sales (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 2, 2014
Technology leader and gets attention.
All under resourced.
Very hierarchical - everyone wonders what their boss or CEO is going to think before taking action
Good Manager
Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 26, 2014
My manager is very nice to people
I learnt a lot from colleagues.
Assisted living home with caring employees and caregivers
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIDecember 1, 2013
Learning to communicate effectively with residents of the home who have aging issues such as dementia, or physical limitations in caring for themselves. Very compassionate pace to work.
Pros
getting to know residents and being able to help them
Cons
shift work
Great company to work for
Senior Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 15, 2013
Hard working culture with appropriate reward structure

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with.
Productive and fun place to be
ADVANCED SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  San Jose CAOctober 16, 2013
Good work life balance, great place for growth,subsidized meals, events.. good benefits
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 29, 2013
Hectic department with a lot of work on reports and power point presentations. Also a lot of travel arrangements for department colleagues.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
Good technology, people spread too thin
Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2013
Altera offers great technology but has focused too long on operational efficiency and doesn't have enough people in the right places to be nearly as successful as it could be. This has created a culture in which slow reaction to market changes, customers, and competition are accepted as normal.
Pros
many very good people, strong teamwork, great technology
Cons
not enough people, creating high turnover and making things worse
Altera was a great experence and a excellent company in many areas.
Major Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaFebruary 26, 2013
I worked remote with Altera covering the Utah/Idaho/Montana territory. I was responsible for all channel partners and distributors and helped them reach their budget and keeping them trainned on the Altera products. I had direct cutomers responsiblities for the major customers in the territory ( HP, Micron, L3 Communications, GEHC, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon, Fusion-io and Grass Valley Group).
My direct line management was located in Denver. I set up customer meetings with the intent of designing our prodcuts into their future products. I worked directly with design engineers and company management up to the C-levels. I worked with purcahasing and commodity management, making sure products shipped on time for their schedules. I was responsible to handle any issuess at the customer and was the first line of contact.
I learned that I am a self starter, competitive person and capible to find solutions to challenges and issues so that everyone wins. I am excellant at developing customer relationships. I learned to be strategic in my sales approach. I am a hardworker and use to working well beyond the 8-5pm day.
Hardest part of the job was keeping everyone focused on teh same objective and to follow the plan we set as a team.
The most enjoyable part of the job was winning as a team and helping customer find solutions to their issues and problems.
Not bad overall, efficient strutures, high margins, some management issues
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 17, 2013
Some micromanagement and political issues especially through the lean years but basically a company in a good product space with good talent and lots of challenging work.
Pros
product space
Pretty good overall
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Corporate officeJanuary 3, 2013
Good pay, great facilities, successful company with high margins, good work / life balance, a few issues with management but overall pretty good
fantastic place to work for.
Quality Assurance , Coordinator and Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 29, 2012
I was in charge in the calibration program, as well as MIL-STD specification test of FBGA, PLD. packages.
Management were great. My co workers were like family members.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to interact with your co-worker every day due to load of work.
The most enjoyable part of the job when we had to work overtime in week end to meet customer orders.
Pros
playing basketball, company benefits, health care
Cons
none.
Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 9, 2012
Altera was a great place to work. The layout supervisors and managers carefully measured and planned work so that I could keep a steady pace and hardly ever felt the need to put in extra hours in order to meet deadlines, leading to one of the best work/life balances I've seen in Silicon Valley.
Pros
great management, beautiful campus, good cafeteria
Cons
work sometimes mundane, expensive cafeteria
Fun place
Technical Lead/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 28, 2012
Long working days, very traditional place philosphy. Culture is gradually changing but still very traditional company. Processes are very well established and organized. Company is run extremely efficiently.