Altom Transport, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good company
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2017
Small family owned and run company. Very competitive with similar companies. Did not "forget" the employees. Very fair. Was office personnel so cannot comment about the driver/delivery side.
Company could use some improvement for Owner Operators
Independent Contractor/Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2017
Contract agreements not usually as agreed upon after starting. Company states that they pay 72% of gross on contracts but does not state that 30% is taken off the top for the Management company and that you really receive 72% of 70% remaining on paying for rate. Rates change daily per the company but not per contracted customers and no fuel surcharge paid. They insist upon buying their own fuel since they are also a fuel distributer.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
forced dispatch, must buy their fuel
Nice equipment
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 15, 2017
It is a stable company with great equipment that is well maintained et the drives are well compensated. The negative is home time is limited. They have the sharpest Peterbilt semis.
This add isnt to work for Altom, its for Al Warren Oil
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 2, 2016
The job itself isnt too bad, exceot it can be very repettitive. You are underpaid for the type of work that you do having to work in the elements, being exposed to the Diesel Fumes & the Carpal Tunnel that you will eventually develop from constantly removing Truck Fuel Caps. Its a Wet Hosing job, so make sure you establish that first, as they wont tell new recruits. Advancement is non-existant as you have to be family, Managment/dispatch simply do not care and are only concerned about you finishing the route without any regard to HOS or legal Weight Limits. I could go on & on, but do not want to waste any further time. And do not take the opinion of a random online review to heart, go check it out for yourself, and see what I am saying.
Pros
A decent amount of OT, but it kills you Physically so not worth it
Cons
Dint have enough time to list all
Great Company to work for
Accounts Payable/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INJuly 18, 2016
I love working for Altom.
My co-workers are very friendly, always trying to help.
My boss is very funny and I really enjoy working with him, he is one of the nicest supervisors I ever had.
Pros
Great people and flexible hours
Cons
I wish I was full time
Trucking company
National Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 31, 2016
Typical day is dispatching tanker drivers across the United States and Canada. Its an established carrier with nice equipment.
Hard to beat.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INFebruary 29, 2016
Exactly seven months ago I chose to come to work here based on my phone conversations with the terminal manager in Hammond. He was very direct and to the point about the expectations of the driver. You told me how much each truck average in gross revenue per day and what my percentage of that would be. Now here's the strange part: I planned on more weekend work then I was told and I figured on about 80% of the income that I was told, and yet everything dentist told me over the phone has been spot on! If you're a team player I highly recommend checking us out and if you're not please go elsewhere. Best dispatch and management team I've worked for, and I started driving in the late 80's. If you deserve to be appreciated you will be here.
Pros
Equipment, pay, and dispatch.
Cons
Occasionally you sit and wait for this IS trucking.
Comfortable living
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 9, 2015
Altom was a great place to work. I was given opportunities every day to make money. I was able to travel, but was also able to spend time with my family. Great place to end my long driving career.
Crude oil hauler
Crude oil hauler (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXNovember 25, 2014
This company is no longer involved in the crude oil hauling business. If this is a position you desire, you are looking in the wrong place.
Professional with laid back atmosphere
Executive Assistant to the Vice President (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 10, 2014
Depending on your position it could be long hours. You must have a high attention to detail.
Pros
Great balance between family and work
Cons

Want to know more about Altom Transport, Inc.?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altom Transport, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.