Alton Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Fast paced medical enviroment
Patient Care Technician/CNA (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 9, 2017
Very nice place to work. Excellent people to work with. Learned a lot about the medical and surgical hospital setting. Hard watching patients struggle through their ailments. But was very proud to be part of their recovery.
Pros
awsome benifits
Cons
Worked short staffed alot
Workplace that works as a team
RN, Medical-Surgical (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILAugust 27, 2017
While you always have your drama in the workplace, at AMH, we work well as a team. I work night shift, and one down side is the limit of breaks. Since night shift is lower staffed, we don't get the breaks/lunch time that day shift does.
Too much he said she said in this hospital.
Lead Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILAugust 22, 2017
My boss at the time was horrible and the boss over her was worse. The Human Resource lady was just as bad. I would suggest making sure not to work in housekeeping because there is not a single manager in that department that knows what they are doing. There are other people that work there that shouldn't be.
enjoyable place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 9, 2017
There was not a lot of communication between management and the housekeeping staff as to what was expected from us. The employees were fun to work and made a good team.
Worked off shifts and weekends during college
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 21, 2017
Perfect job for the college student trying to make some decent dough. Don't let the phlebotomy or sick patients scare you. Great working environment, everyone was willing to help me. Worked PRN, so nights, evenings, and all of the above on the weekends.
Pros
Enjoyed fellow employees, patient contact
Cons
I would love to work here full time.
Emergency Medical Technician Ride Time (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 8, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Alton Memorial. I hope to find full time employment within the BJC health system. The workplace is demanding, but I find that very satisfying.
Pros
Great atmosphere for learning
Cons
Difficult to get hired on full time
Overall a good place to work
Film Librarian (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILApril 8, 2017
Alton Memorial Hospital is a nice place to work. Like any business, it has its downside. Many employees are overworked and underpaid. I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful boss.
Great company!
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMarch 23, 2017
Great place to work with plenty of advancement opportunities and decent pay. I met some great people with no problem helping out and being a team player.
Mediocre
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILDecember 23, 2016
Working here is alright. Great pay, and great coworkers, However i found that being younger than everyone the respect goes out the window
Typical job, no complaints
Respiratory Therapist, RRT (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILOctober 16, 2016
Busy at times. Pay was fair but standard. Night shift can be disregarded at times but that's typical for an acute hospital. Felt staff had too much power over schedule which was not always fair and consistent.

Want to know more about Alton Memorial Hospital?

Ask a question
great place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJanuary 28, 2016
my typical job duties included getting all the patients paperwork off the printers and taking patients to their rooms that needed a wheelchair to get to their appointments
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 18, 2015
I loved my job and working for AMH. We were always fast paced and I loved working with others. The management needed some improvement but I'm sure they've worked that out by now. My co-workers were amazing and always willing to help out when needed. We worked as a time from the time we clocked in to the time we clocked out. The hardest part of my job was seeing so many sick patients and knowing that I was going to have to poke them with a needle. Also doing blood draws on infants. I loved my job and my time there, I was sad to have to leave. We had fun but also got our draws done.
Pros
Discount lunches
Cons
Blood draws at 2 am
fast paced very busy
Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 2, 2015
Work very hard each day. some coworkers are hard workers others not so good. don't see much of management, but enjoy working with the public
busy
Operating Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILAugust 16, 2015
We are busy for a smaller hospital within the BJC system and do numerous orthopedic procedures. One of the fairly newer procedures is an anterior total hip replacement.
Something new everyday
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 27, 2015
I personally loved when I volunteered at AMH. Some days it was really fast pace, which I enjoyed. The nurses I worked under, on the surgical care unit, were very helpful and open. The residents were lovely to care for.
Night shift support
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 16, 2015
Must be a critical thinker, ready to work hard, understaffed and not expect much appreciation or praise. Staff generally is disgruntled and morale is low. Patient care is high with a great respiratory staff.
Cons
No uninterrupted breaks, no food offered at mealtimes, no support for night shift
amh
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 1, 2015
good job place to work...upper management not great, good pay, flexible hours....7-330, learned a lot..coworkers were fun
Working within a team environment for a common goal
Lead Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Alton IllinoisFebruary 25, 2015
I loved working within a team with doctors nurses and techs towards a common goal. I enjoyed helping people and their families during difficult times. I took a lot of pride in what I did.
Community Hospital with little room for growth
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILFebruary 14, 2015
RT has little to no say in patient care. Physicians order unnecessary therapies. I love taking care of my patients, especially the elderly but it is difficult when I disagree with care or feel that care is deficient.
Wonderful environment
Lab Tech/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILOctober 27, 2014
Early start to the day, early finish
Real sense of teamwork
Hands on management that was encouraging and fair
Friendly patients as well as friendly coworkers
Not a lot of hours per pay period