Alton Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Night shift support
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 16, 2015
Must be a critical thinker, ready to work hard, understaffed and not expect much appreciation or praise. Staff generally is disgruntled and morale is low. Patient care is high with a great respiratory staff.
Cons
No uninterrupted breaks, no food offered at mealtimes, no support for night shift
Fast paced
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 18, 2015
I loved my job and working for AMH. We were always fast paced and I loved working with others. The management needed some improvement but I'm sure they've worked that out by now. My co-workers were amazing and always willing to help out when needed. We worked as a time from the time we clocked in to the time we clocked out. The hardest part of my job was seeing so many sick patients and knowing that I was going to have to poke them with a needle. Also doing blood draws on infants. I loved my job and my time there, I was sad to have to leave. We had fun but also got our draws done.
Pros
Discount lunches
Cons
Blood draws at 2 am
fast paced very busy
Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 2, 2015
Work very hard each day. some coworkers are hard workers others not so good. don't see much of management, but enjoy working with the public
Surgical Services
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJanuary 15, 2013
Busy with long hours, not much time for a family or social life.
Pros
401k
Cons
short breaks, on call
productive and fun workplace
Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILApril 16, 2012
I enjoy working at Alton Memorial hospital, it is a very caring place to work, competive salary, decent hours, and bonuses.
Pros
free lunches, and bonuses
busy
Operating Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILAugust 16, 2015
We are busy for a smaller hospital within the BJC system and do numerous orthopedic procedures. One of the fairly newer procedures is an anterior total hip replacement.
Something new everyday
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 27, 2015
I personally loved when I volunteered at AMH. Some days it was really fast pace, which I enjoyed. The nurses I worked under, on the surgical care unit, were very helpful and open. The residents were lovely to care for.
Fun people to work with. Fast paced work, which I peersonally liked
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILFebruary 21, 2014
I worked two different positions at Alton Memorial Hospital. First in Health Information where I was responsible for assembling all Emergency Room records with their respective test results (lab results, x-ray results etc.). Then, after assembling was completed, I filed away each day's Emergency Room patient's charts away by date of visit and also in order by patient medical record number. Most of the entire office was also responsible for taking phone requests for records from us to be sent via fax to physician's offices so the physician could have that patient's test results. I used several different software programs that were exclusive to the hospital and BJC. I had to learn all of them proficiently to be able to perform my daily duties. I got along with all of my co-workers and usually tried to lend a hand to one of them if they were behind and my responsibilities had been fulfilled. I also worked under the manager of the Surgery department. This was my second position with the hospital. It was part-time. In that position, I learned to use the timekeeping software TMAT to perform payroll duties bi weekly for the surgical department. I also prepared presentations and various documents for the department manager. I had my own office so I didn't have to work as closely with others but I still got along great with all other co-workers in the department. The hardest part of both positions was the work load, as it was quite massive. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Not only the co-workers but the patients as well and knowing that you are doing some small part  more... in the workings of getting them the care they needed.  less
Pros
great benefits and rewards
Cons
short breaks, around a lot of illness
amh
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 1, 2015
good job place to work...upper management not great, good pay, flexible hours....7-330, learned a lot..coworkers were fun
Fun environment, but serious in completing job task
Line server/ Caterer (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 15, 2013
Personally a day depended on what ever job I did for that day. Sometimes I would come in as a dishwasher and I would come in have have to catch up the pile of dishes from the morning crew. Sometimes I served patient trays and would come in, talk to managers about how many people I had that day and then get to work. Most of the time I served food on a line and I would come in and get a chance to greet co workers and then start working. The co workers most of the time were nice and friendly. Management were good and mostly communicated what they wanted done well every now in then things weren't clear.
Pros
serving customers
Cons
getting behind because of catching up others peoples work

Want to know more about Alton Memorial Hospital?

Ask a question
I like what they have to say about this company.
I don't have a job (want one) (Former Employee) –  Alton Memorial in Alton IL.September 28, 2013
I have always wanted to work for Alton Memorial Hospital of Alton because of the way they treat their people. All of them no matter why the are there. Everyone there are of high quality to do their jobs the way they do. You don't worry about the way you are going to be treated because you all ready know, the best care they are able to give which is the best. You're in the hospital, your scared and alone yet they make you feel like your going to be alright and you are not going through it alone. Very good.
Pros
good people that work there
Cons
politics gets in the way.
People and goal oriented workplace
Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJanuary 18, 2014
For the most part the people in a hospital enviroment are generally focused on the same thing, patient care and making their hospital the best available for the public. This is one such place. I enjoyed my ineraction with the patients and the various hospital staff and departments. One of the problems I encountered while working at the hospital was system shutdown. This frequently happened and often with no supervisors on staff, at these times we relied on our training and teamwork. Meeting so many different people from all walks of life.
Pros
a friendly enviroment with potential to learn new skills
Cons
getting attached to the patients
Community Hospital with little room for growth
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILFebruary 14, 2015
RT has little to no say in patient care. Physicians order unnecessary therapies. I love taking care of my patients, especially the elderly but it is difficult when I disagree with care or feel that care is deficient.
Working within a team environment for a common goal
Lead Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Alton IllinoisFebruary 25, 2015
I loved working within a team with doctors nurses and techs towards a common goal. I enjoyed helping people and their families during difficult times. I took a lot of pride in what I did.
Wonderful environment
Lab Tech/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILOctober 27, 2014
Early start to the day, early finish
Real sense of teamwork
Hands on management that was encouraging and fair
Friendly patients as well as friendly coworkers
Not a lot of hours per pay period
a
Lab Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Alton IllinoisFebruary 24, 2014
On a typical day, I organize and correct doctor's orders so that the correct orders are in and there are no duplicate orders. Documentation is very important because I am canceling and reordering for the doctors. During this time, I am also responsible for the blood draws on the floor and in the emergency department. Towards the end of the shift, I wake up most of the patients in the hospital for their daily labs.
As my first position, I've learned a lot
RRT (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 6, 2014
Management and Administration are great to work with. Enjoy my coworkers. Hardest part of the job is my commute - as I am coming from West County.
Modern Facility
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILSeptember 21, 2014
This facility has been recently remodeled with private rooms for many patients and a new relaxing color scheme. I really enjoyed being a student at this facility. The doctors here were very receptive to students and took the time to teach us a little extra.
Was a student radiographer at Alton Memorial. Enjoyed my time there and the people.
STUDENT RADIOLOGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 30, 2012
A typical workday included taking patients histories, x-rays, fleuro, portables, working in the E.R. and operating C-arm in the O.R.
Pros
worked with great people.
Cons
was a student so didn't get paid.
Hospital
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 31, 2012
It is an ok job but needs better management.
Coworkers are ok.