Altru Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Finance results over medical results and negative culture
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 11, 2016
The Altru Monopoly continues to enable the below standard service people come to expect. This translates to a decision process focused on financial results over medical results. This also translates to a negative culture towards physicians and the firing of anyone that speaks up against leadership.
Pros
keep quiet keep your job
Cons
monopoly and finance over medical results
Productive, fun, and great management!
Central sterile technician (Current Employee) –  Grand ForksSeptember 20, 2015
I was actually confronted by the previous reviewer of the CP tech position at my previous job and (we worked together) when I mentioned I was accepting this position this person said "well I hope they treat you better than they treated me." I got a bit nervous but as soon as I came into the department, everyone was so welcoming and helpful. I know this department recently aquired an actual manager dedicated to the department (and she is fantastic!) and maybe that helped to boost morale but the people I read about in that previous review have either changed dramatically or have moved on. I've seen nothing but constant energy and team work from the department so far. I'm very new to this (no previous experience) and I've gotten so much help and very patient trainers who have explained things clearly and are very willing to answer all questions...no matter how many times I ask. Haha. Everyone seems happy and willing to work in the department so far that I have seen, and I can't wait to work here for many years to come!
Pros
Motivated work environment, great management, discounts in the cafeteria, and great benefits!
Cons
On your feet all day but I prefer that!
LPN (Former Employee) –  Grand ForksJuly 3, 2015
I worked at Altru for 20 + years and loved it. I really enjoyed the peer review system. I received great evaluations on my job performance. I didn't like the politics of the big healthcare system. The parking was difficult.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
parking
Great Coworkers and Culture
Employee (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 30, 2015
They are constantly striving to provide better care and resources to the paitents and co workers. Room for advancement and growth in all areas.
Productive and fun with amazing coworkers
Communications Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDDecember 8, 2014
I would usually arrive about 10-15 minutes before my shift started to mentally prepare myself, as I worked alone, to visit as well as receive any new information regarding the facility or just for our team in general. At shift change, I would resume the answering of phones and greet any visitors that would enter during the night. Management was great and I felt that I could go to her for anything and not feel as if my trust was going to be violated. The same goes for my coworkers and if there happened to be someone that I did not associate well with we at least presented a positive and business attitude towards each other. The hardest part about my job was leaving, I seriously enjoyed it that much and the most enjoyable part was knowing that in my own way I played an integral part in making the facility the "well oiled machine" that it is.
bad managers, rude coworkers
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 3, 2014
I would not recommend anyone to work here. the managers are terrible. They have no regard for there employees. co workers are awful in the environmental service department.
Cons
bad managment.
Worked in a variety of areas
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDOctober 22, 2014
Loved every area that I worked. From the clinic, rehab, medical surge, and hospice/home care. Direct client care.
Teamwork...isn't here
CP Tech (Current Employee) –  Central ProcessingAugust 6, 2014
A typical day at Altru consists of a severe lack of teamwork. I have been apart of a team since I was four years old until basically now. I am twenty-four. These ladies, which is the majority of the department, have NO idea what it even means to work as a team, and that makes it so much more difficult to work as a team and communicate as a team. The drama will always be in a workplace so I can overlook that, because that is simply called life. As far as the management goes, everyone notices the favoritism in the department. No one has the nerve to say anything because they think it will do no good. I beg to differ. When I believe strongly in something, I go directly to the person I have an issue with, and I handle it like an adult. This is also an issue in the department. I do get along with a few of my coworkers. I have also been looking for another job since I have realized how this place is ran. The hardest part of the job would be knowing that my degree that I studied and busted by butt for in college is being wasted for a job that requires a simple high school degree. This was failed to be brought to my attention. Also, dealing with coworkers that constantly underestimate me simply because I am "too happy" is absurd. They for some reason sadly confuse ADHD and "stupid" to be the same thing. To hear that I am "incapable" of learning a new position due to its past-pace nature is down-right downgrading because I know that I am capable. Then on my second day of training and I am already doing good enough to be on my own, seeing and hearing the negativity coming from these hateful  more... people is just rude and it brings me down as hard as I try to not let it bother me. Case in point: I feel like I am back in high school, except I don't have my country guy friends to remind me to shake it off. The most enjoyable part of this job is proving people wrong.  less
Pros
it's not hard work...and proving people wrong
Cons
management needs to act like what their title suggests
Great and Friendly Place to work.
EMS Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 3, 2014
I absolutely love my manager. She is great and has always looked out for me. Altru offers great benefits and is a wonderful place to work. My co-workers are amazing and I would recommend Altru care to anyone
No dull moments.
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 26, 2014
A well organized hospital. It's open 24/7 . Mostly 32 hour weeks. You learn to track patient movements, when they come in, what room they checked into, what room they transferred to, what treatment they received, and when they were discharged. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a procedure goes smoothly. The hardest part of the job is that you're always busy
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
there is no slow period
great benefits, mostly wonderful people to work with
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  parkwood placeNovember 7, 2013
general cleaning. team work is very important. i had a couple of great co workers. the best part of my job was seeing my residents smiling faces.!!!
Fun productive day
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 5, 2013
Welcomed patients, Prepared patients for health care visit, Places patient in exam room for provider evaluation, Obtained medical history, Verified patient information, Assist providers during examination and treatment, Take vital signs and performs, Performs EKG, injections, blood draws, Dispensed medications and appliances within scope of practice and as ordered by the treating provider and in accordance with state regulations, Applied bandages, dressings and splints as ordered by the treating provider, Completed records, Maintains supplies, cleaned rooms and equipment, and stocked rooms with required supplies, Maintained and operated all clinical equipment, including calibration and record keeping in accordance with current policy and procedures, Maintained safe, secure, and healthy work environment, Conducted business in a service-oriented manner that is attentive, cooperative, sensitive, respectful and kind with dealing with patients, visitors, the public and all colleagues
Assisted in maintaining a neat, clean and orderly appearance in the lobby and overall center throughout the day, ensures preparation for pick-up and shipment to appropriate laboratory, Performs front office clerical duties such as answering telephones, check-in, check-out and record processing, May assist with clerical activities related to appointment scheduling and patient intake, data verification, office communications, and filing of patient records, Performed other duties as assigned, Customer Service skills, Basic knowledge of clinical procedures, medical anatomy and physiology, worked in Fast
  more... paced, deadline-oriented clinical office environment.  less
A great department
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 10, 2013
I really enjoy working at Altru. Our department is great and full of fun people. Everyone is very welcoming and kind.
Dysfunctional, fractious, clique-filled, Grade-D hospital
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDAugust 2, 2013
Psychotic best describes the environment within Altru. Coworkers are encouraged to play rat, gang up on others and management is a gang of sociopaths within an old boy network. I was even interrupted by my boss while eating in a restaurant outside of work, so I could again be scolded for some bizarre transgressions perceived or created. They wanted me out of there, so I left.

Do not expect respect, recognition for any beyond the call of duty performance or any sort of normal workplace treatment. This hospital recently received a grade of D for good reason.
Pros
discount for cafeteria meals
Cons
backstabbing, shunning, supposed to be secular, but overtly catholic, management straight out of the adamms family
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJune 4, 2013
Altru Health System was a great place to work. The co-workers were amazing and the employees are great.
No recognitions for above and beyond preformance
OPC Urology Nursing (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDDecember 18, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of patients, because they are number one. Hardest part is working with co-workers that are not teams players. Frustrated with management that will not deal with staff problems.
My best job ever.
Interventional Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDApril 28, 2012
300 bed hospital, 3 cath labs, 5 interventionalists, 250,000 draw area, 20 procedures a day.
Pros
excellent cath lab staff, 25 years experience, still growing.
Cons
salary cap.

Altru Health System Reviews by Location