Alvernia University Employee Reviews in United States

Excellant College Institution
Student Lecture 2013 (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 9, 2015
Alvernia paved the way for my grand future which I am very anxious to get the chance at a great firm to start. I enjoyed the laid back student atmosphere, but when it was time to be serious all came to play.
Pros
Wonderful teachers of the highest education level and always willing to help
Cons
Very Costly
amazing school
student (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2015
I transferred to Alvernia University from Kutztown University. This school is a lot smaller which allows me to enjoy more one to one time with the instructors.
Great School
Internship (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 7, 2015
Great place to work. People are great and positive. Everyone was very supportive. It was a real pleasure to work the people.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Excellent and high-tech teaching environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Pottsville, PASeptember 30, 2015
As an adjunct professor, they allow me the flexibility I need to instruct in an effective way, They also provide me with the technology I need to accomplish this task. The management of the Schuylkill Center provides enough direction to assist instructors with the tools and support they need to be effective.
Provided a non stressful workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 5, 2015
The supervisor was understanding and approachable. He pushed all the students and the full-time housekeepers to better themselves. There were food parties to celebrate any employee's birthday. The company made you feel appreciated.
Pros
There were wonderful people to work with.
Cons
You had to clean up after other people.
Enjoyable atmosphere with great colleagues
ADMISSIONS GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 2, 2015
Working in higher education is an excellent experience for anyone. Everyone in the office understands that hard work turns into great results.
Alvernia is a very employee friendly workplace. Most co-workers are very easy relate to and provide excellent guidance when requested.
Secretary(current) (Former Employee) –  Adult educationOctober 3, 2014
The pace of the workday varies, some days are extremely busy and others can be very lagging.

I learned that there is not always a way to please all people at all time sand that perspectives can vary vastly.

There were some decisions that were ethically questionable by management.

Co-workers in various other departments and locations are extremely friendly and helpful if needed.

The new contacts I have made with student and faculty members some of which I will be able to continue beyond Alvernia.
Pros
easy going and laid back atomosphere.
Cons
numerous days alone in building all day affording no breaks etc.
Supportive work environment
Assistant Director, Student Financial Planning (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 17, 2014
AU places a strong emphasis on values and the opportunity to express and share those values with students and other staff and faculty. AU creates a loving environment that creates professionals with skills that ensure longevity in the workplace.
Pros
values, holiday breaks!
Cons
resources
Fast paced and Constant learning
MEDIA ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 10, 2014
Working in the media suite enabled me to develop leadership and management skills. I had to learn to sharpen my customer service skills as well as project management skills. Constantly had to learn new skills and while mastering existing ones.
great leadership experience
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  reading, paJune 5, 2014
building rapport and relationships with your same-age peers as their leader, being a good example to them at all times and learning to live a "fish bowl" type of life where everyone's always watching. fantastic staff, co-RAs are always willing to lend a helping hand. troublesome residents can be trying, but most students are appreciative for everything you do for them.
Pros
free room & board, great leadership experience
Cons
have to learn to live a "always being watched" lifestyle
A great place to attend college with great opportunities
Alvernia University Office of the Provost (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 24, 2013
While attending Alvernia University I was given many opportunities which I took hold of. These opportunities gave me many learning experiences that I would hold on to forever. Working in the many club organizations and different departments has given me a wide variety of knowledge.
Coaching a rising Division 3 lacrosse team can be challenging
Head Assistant Coach of Men's Lacrosse (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 12, 2013
The program has full support from the school. However, it is difficult to recruit academically competent lacrosse athletes to central Pennsylvania. The school is in a challenging athletic conference.
Pros
good support from administration
Cons
long distances to away games
Summer position with free breakfast and field trips
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAJune 21, 2013
My typical day in the summer program, "Tech Trek" was to come in early, have breakfast with the students, help teach them to use the MS Office Suite, and go on field trips. The entire job was enjoyable.
Pros
great students, free trips, fee breakfast, good pay.
Cons
temporary position
Greatest people to work with
Adjunct English Instructor/Adjunct Law Instructor (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 13, 2013
Alvernia is a wonderful place to work, and I'd love to be there full time, but the culture of hiring adjuncts limits the number of full time employees that they hire.
Great Environment and opportunity
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 11, 2013
• Assisted in duties such as greet students, faculty, and visitors.
• Answered multiline phone and distributed calls to proper area.
• Prepared marketing material for open houses, mailings and office use.
• Provided secretarial help with filing confidential records, prepared files and maintained updated files with Microsoft office programs such as Excel and Word.
Interesting and Hard work
Facilities Worker (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAMay 9, 2013
The job itself was rough. There were multiple issues throughout the day that we had to fix. We cleaned dorm rooms and made sure that they were ready for those who lived on campus. I was in charge of a certain small group and was able to make sure that they were working.
Great education
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAApril 30, 2013
Alvernia University provided me with a basis of knowledge to be able to enter the realm of occupational therapy practice with confidence.
Loved it
Work Study Employee (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAApril 30, 2013
The people and the environment was so friendly and open. Everyone was there to help you with anything you asked for, even if you asked the same question before. It was a very safe and warm community of employers. A typical say in the office would consist of me going around to the counselors and asking if they needed anything done. Any work that needed to be filed or copied. I would complete simple projects and tasks like that and then move onto the next person.
Good Experience, Good Atmosphere, Excellent Place to Work
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 6, 2013
As a student and employee, I have enjoyed my time at Alvernia University.

Since I am a per diem tutor, I come in whenever I am needed to help students accomplish their coursework.

I have learned how to help others while they are struggling through difficult tasks and the skills necessary to help them advance their learning abilities.

Management was flexible, friendly, and helpful.

My co-workers were also hospitable, friendly, and energetic.

The hardest part of the job involved explaining concepts that were difficult, even for me to understand when I was taking the particular course. Because I struggled in that area, it helped me understand what other students were feeling, and I was able to help them understand the material faster than when I was alone.

The most enjoyable part of the job involved seeing a student walk away from a session knowing more than what they did coming into the Learning Center,
Pros
flexible hours, good co-workers and management
Higher Ed CSR Position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 18, 2013
This position was cyclical regarding demands and customer interaction. Personal communications, Internet communications, and phone communications were emphasized.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alvernia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5