Alvernia University

Alvernia University Employer Reviews

Supportive work environment
Assistant Director, Student Financial Planning (Current Employee), Reading, PAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: values, holiday breaks!
Cons: resources
AU places a strong emphasis on values and the opportunity to express and share those values with students and other staff and faculty. AU creates a loving environment that creates professionals with skills that ensure longevity in the workplace.
Fast paced and Constant learning
MEDIA ADVISOR (Former Employee), Reading, PAJune 10, 2014
Working in the media suite enabled me to develop leadership and management skills. I had to learn to sharpen my customer service skills as well as project management skills. Constantly had to learn new skills and while mastering existing ones.
great leadership experience
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee), reading, paJune 5, 2014
Pros: free room & board, great leadership experience
Cons: have to learn to live a "always being watched" lifestyle
building rapport and relationships with your same-age peers as their leader, being a good example to them at all times and learning to live a "fish bowl" type of life where everyone's always watching. fantastic staff, co-RAs are always willing to lend a helping hand. troublesome residents can be trying, but most students are appreciative for everything you do for them.
A great place to attend college with great opportunities
Alvernia University Office of the Provost (Former Employee), Reading, PASeptember 24, 2013
While attending Alvernia University I was given many opportunities which I took hold of. These opportunities gave me many learning experiences that I would hold on to forever. Working in the many club organizations and different departments has given me a wide variety of knowledge.
Coaching a rising Division 3 lacrosse team can be challenging
Head Assistant Coach of Men's Lacrosse (Former Employee), Reading, PAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: good support from administration
Cons: long distances to away games
The program has full support from the school. However, it is difficult to recruit academically competent lacrosse athletes to central Pennsylvania. The school is in a challenging athletic conference.
Summer position with free breakfast and field trips
Tutor (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PAJune 21, 2013
Pros: great students, free trips, fee breakfast, good pay.
Cons: temporary position
My typical day in the summer program, "Tech Trek" was to come in early, have breakfast with the students, help teach them to use the MS Office Suite, and go on field trips. The entire job was enjoyable.
Greatest people to work with
Adjunct English Instructor/Adjunct Law Instructor (Former Employee), Reading, PAJune 13, 2013
Alvernia is a wonderful place to work, and I'd love to be there full time, but the culture of hiring adjuncts limits the number of full time employees that they hire.
Great Environment and opportunity
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee), Reading, PAJune 11, 2013
• Assisted in duties such as greet students, faculty, and visitors.
• Answered multiline phone and distributed calls to proper area.
• Prepared marketing material for open houses, mailings and office use.
• Provided secretarial help with filing confidential records, prepared files and maintained updated files with Microsoft office programs such as Excel and Word.
Interesting and Hard work
Facilities Worker (Current Employee), Reading, PAMay 9, 2013
The job itself was rough. There were multiple issues throughout the day that we had to fix. We cleaned dorm rooms and made sure that they were ready for those who lived on campus. I was in charge of a certain small group and was able to make sure that they were working.
Great education
Peer Mentor (Former Employee), Reading, PAApril 30, 2013
Alvernia University provided me with a basis of knowledge to be able to enter the realm of occupational therapy practice with confidence.
Loved it
Work Study Employee (Current Employee), Reading, PAApril 30, 2013
The people and the environment was so friendly and open. Everyone was there to help you with anything you asked for, even if you asked the same question before. It was a very safe and warm community of employers. A typical say in the office would consist of me going around to the counselors and asking if they needed anything done. Any work that needed to be filed or copied. I would complete simple projects and tasks like that and then move onto the next person.
Good Experience, Good Atmosphere, Excellent Place to Work
Peer Tutor (Current Employee), Reading, PAMarch 6, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, good co-workers and management
As a student and employee, I have enjoyed my time at Alvernia University.

Since I am a per diem tutor, I come in whenever I am needed to help students accomplish their coursework.

I have learned how to help others while they are struggling through difficult tasks and the skills necessary to help them advance their learning abilities.

Management was flexible, friendly, and helpful.

My co-workers were also hospitable, friendly, and energetic.

The hardest part of the job involved explaining concepts that were difficult, even for me to understand when I was taking the particular course. Because I struggled in that area, it helped me understand what other students were feeling, and I was able to help them understand the material faster than when I was alone.

The most enjoyable part of the job involved seeing a student walk away from a session knowing more than what they did coming into the Learning Center,
Higher Ed CSR Position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Reading, PAJanuary 18, 2013
This position was cyclical regarding demands and customer interaction. Personal communications, Internet communications, and phone communications were emphasized.
Set design work study
Set and stage crew (Former Employee), Reading, PASeptember 24, 2012
Pros: on campus
Cons: no benefits
Built sets for a couple shows. Used power tools and understand how to build and tear down sets.
sports information
Sports Information Assistant (Former Employee), Reading, PAJune 25, 2012
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: alot of free time
graduate assistant program - great program learned so much about excel, power point, other photoshop programs
Academic envioronment with great opportunity for on-going culturual enrichment.
Certification Coordinator - for education students (Former Employee), Reading, PAFebruary 22, 2012
Pros: feel-good career
Cons: limited sports opportunities
.Repectfull student body
.Dedicated teaching staff
.Well maintained campus and facilities
.Great benefits
.Established, consistant, and continuous work opportunities