Alverno Clinical Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Over worked and under paid, don't work in any clinical lab
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 11, 2016
The Sister's of St.Francis once a Catholic organization with a goal of helping the sick and the poor is like all other Greedy Cheap Catholic managed hospitals and laboratories. They treat you as though your not a professional and they pay you as little as they can and work you like a dog. I know people who have left the job went home ,sat on the couch and died from being worked so hard. The retirement and health benefits are better in education. Working for this organization is like being in a classroom with a crazy Catholic nun and you will find them managing HR,lab, and administration beware of the pit falls of laboratory work. I would not let my dog work for this company as a watch dog.
Pros
Gain experience and run for your life.
Cons
That feeling of the evil nun behind you with a paddle.
Wonderful place to work for! I love my job!!
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 10, 2016
My first job as a phlebotomist was not through Alverno Lab. I've learned so much about my occupation, through this company! I absolutely love my job and would recommend anyone to work for this company. I'm proud of what I do, love the people I work with, and look forward to my future with Alverno Lab!
Pros
The ability to learn my job in a timely manner, without feeling pressure.
Cons
I have nothing that I view as a negative, at this point and time of my career.
I really loved this lab!!
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2016
SmithKline Lab was my second lab experience to work in and my first lab that was operating with structure. I loved it immediately! Every area had structure and form! Everyone was pleasant to work with and we all worked together for the same result. To get the job finished. It was a lab of a huge team! Teamwork was what any one would see when they came into this lab. It was a pleasure and an honor working here.
Mlt
MLT (Current Employee) –  Chesterton, INDecember 26, 2015
This a great place to work. Everyday is different in respect to the workload. The manager is caring and professional, my coworkers are great with many years of experience. The hardest part of the job..it isn't hard. The ED staff is great and are all departments. The employees want to work here.
Pros
Great facility and management. State of the art instrumentation.
Cons
No cafeteria.
Large company short time
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INNovember 14, 2015
I did not work at the hospital to long. I broke my ankle but it was a very fast pass environment with a lot of faces to see on a daily. I am a fast learner and caught on quickly.
Company that does not follow its own values
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 28, 2015
The only reason Job Security is high is because people keep leaving in droves. This is the core lab in Hammond, not one of the hospitals. People think that they are hiring into a reference lab but, in the desire to make as much money as possible, the upper management continually makes special deals with individual doctor's offices to put their work ahead of everyone else's. There are over 30 hospitals and up to 2,000 doctors' offices utilizing this lab. While most hospital systems that operate Urgent Cares keep techs on site, Alverno has moved all of the testing (STAT testing) to the core lab. So, on top of processing thousands of samples a day, we were expected to remember which doctor got special treatment and also to prioritize the STATs that came in from our Urgent Cares.

I keep in touch with my former co-workers, because they really do care about the patients, but all sound beaten down. Some have had serious health issues that many of us felt were aggravated by the treatment the staff received (literally examples: stroke, heart attacks, coming to work SAME DAY AS CHEMO TREATMENT). And when things inevitably fail because a process was pushed through too fast or the turn around time was impossible - the employees take the blame and we were told that we just didn't have a positive attitude, or, better yet: "Don't you care that the doctors and patients get their results on time?" We preferred that the results were correct.

When it comes to promotions, some people get the promotion they really deserve, buy many do not. There is also a lot of hiring of friends
  more... and family in the core lab. Even if those employees are not within the same department of each other, it puts into question as to whether they truly were the best applicant for the job.  less
Pros
My former co-workers. They really are great people.
Cons
The toxic working environment.
awful culture
laboratory (Former Employee) –  Michigan CityDecember 20, 2014
I worked there for a short time. Management was awful, very back stabbing. Co-workers were rude and looking for reasons not to like you. If you have a choice go elsewhere! South Bend Medical Foundation is a much better place to work
Pros
it was a job
Cons
back stabbing managers and crazy co-workers
Decent company bad management
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  MunsterNovember 5, 2014
Does not compensate seasoned phlebotomist well. Advancement opportunities depends on who you know. Management appears nice but cares only about staffing needs & it shows. Coworkers & patients are the best part of the job. Company has great benefits.
Pros
benefits, coworkers, patients
Cons
salary/wages, short lunches, management
No recommendation
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 1, 2014
The laboratory was an extremely negative work space. The supervisor's and other coworker's were verbally abusive. Other coworkers were unhappy and trying to find other work while at work. The supervisor never came in on time or did her part in working in the laboratory.
Pros
some coworkers were easy going and great coworkers, but not all.
Cons
bad attitudes and culture around the lab
Always growing environment with diverse people
Histology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 8, 2014
I enjoy working in histology and med-cytology. I've learned the ordering and accessioning of these types of specimens and some billing. I prefer to work in a more hands-on type roll in histology and process the specimens. I find it fulfilling to deal directly with patient care and quality management.
Pros
pto
Cons
pay
ok to good
Medical Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 11, 2013
I like where I work, but the night shift if very difficult on my body. I like working with my co-workers but there is little opportunity for advancement or promotion.
Pros
good people. good techs.
Cons
night shift is very hard on the body.
Decent first job
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2013
This was a decent first job, but not somewhere I saw myself building a career.
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Evanston,ILMay 1, 2013
Day at work starting from 3 pm. My job is very interesting, Since you every day I have the opportunity to learn something new.
My co-worker is very nice. We always work together as a team. The hardest work is how we have short staff, and there is a lot of work. Then the performance is not as good, because stress is bigger and you can not work normally.
Most in this work I like is that I have a lot of opportunity to learn and help others.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
short staff
Average company, management not so good
Lab Assistant III (Former Employee) –  IndianaApril 25, 2013
I worked for the organization for 2 years before they actually" promoted" me to a position in which I had a degree in. They ended up demoting me. I felt that it had to do with the fact that I went on maternity leave early due to having a premature baby. My supervisor had her favorites and it was very obvious. She could be very rude at times and would talk to certain employees as if they were children. This was one thing that I did not approve of. The lab director was also a backstabber, she would smile in your face while plotting against you. There were many times in whichever certain employees were treated differently than others. They tend to show favoritism towards the employees they like. If I knew then what I know now I would have never worked for this type or organization.
Pros
not many pros
Cons
too many to list
typical courier job, pleasant work place, well managed
Courier (Former Employee) –  Hammond, IndianaFebruary 4, 2013
A typical day at would would be to pick up and deliver medical specimins to the lab. I had to learn different routes in order to help fill in other areas when an employee would call off or be on vacation. The management was good and the dispatcher was very knowledgeable. The coworkers were pleasant and friendly. The hardest part of the job was driving in inclement weather. I enjoyed all aspects of the job.
Pros
wonderful benefits, company holiday dinners, outdoor cook outs, etc.
Cons
the only thing that i can think of was the driving in bad weather, but that was part of the job and was able to handle the routes with no problem or accidents.
Productive,techinical and skilled.
Technical Assistant, Microbiology Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Beech Grove, INJanuary 21, 2013
Alverno Clinical labs at St. Francis Hospital was in Beechgrove Indiana. I worked in the Microbiology lab. I always kept busy receiving specimens or finding a old specimen for additional testing.I learned how to be organized,process specimens for TB testing(AFB).All the co worker were professional and friendly. The hardest part of the job was having enough space to work. But since the lab was moved to the Indianapolis campus that problem was solved. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to find a specimen for a doctor who needed to add on a test. Saving the patient time and additional pain.
Pros
worked mostly day time.
Cons
the heating system in the old building was too hot.
Hospital and Outpatient Phlebotomist
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Dyer, INOctober 29, 2012
Draw and collect a variety of samples throughout the hospital.
and than open the outpatient clinic.I tended to the walk-in patients, enter the ordered tests, Preform and collect a variety of samples.

Management I did not care for.

Co-workers for the most part worked well together.

Hardest part of this job was the parents of children that we had to do tests on.

Most enjoyable part was being confident at what I do and reassuring patients.
Pros
preforming a job for what i went to school for.
Cons
an unhappy supervisor