Alvis House Employee Reviews

Exciting Company
Habilitation Specialist / Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 6, 2017
Working with the MRDD and offenders. Advocates for the clients, assisting with their day to day livelihood. Keep the client busy and occupied to prevent boredom and or behaviors. Everyday is different and exciting.
Helpful person
Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 27, 2016
to be able to be a support person to people with mental problems. Again to be able to have someone trust you cause of the things they are going thru. Being able to help them adjust back in the real world
Pros
The clients
Cons
The ones that really didnt need to be their
Great place to learn and grow into a managment position.
Cognitive Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2016
Hard working co-workers! Great organization, does a lot of hiring from within. Growing and always looking at new ways to do things better.
Adheres to there mission statement!
Unethical Program Director
Employee (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioSeptember 26, 2016
Worked at Ohio Link. The Supervisor/ Program Manager was rude and violated all types of ethical policies when dealing with the inmates. Some staff as well. Now I see why some employees fail to whistle blow at companies. Higher ups wouldn't listen to line staff about the Program Manager or concerns. That's ok KARMA came back on him in so many ways.

Maybe it was different at other facilities however Toledo was unbelievable. Never in my life have I ever experience this type of behavior from a Manager/Supervisor. Using agency vehicle as his own personal vehicle, providing money to inmates, after hour contact with inmates etc.
Pros
Learning different aspects of the job
Cons
Corrupt Program Director. The pay was very low
Great Mission, Poor Execution
COMMUNITY RE-ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 12, 2016
Alvis House has a great mission and marketing idea. Their everyday execution with their clients falls short and is almost the opposite of their stated mission. Giving the client a structure that is more geared to "re-capture" the inmate seems to be the primary purpose. Compensation is poor and ethical standards are low while they will strongly state otherwise.
Productive, busy, informative and a lot of responsibilities.
COMMUNITY RE-ENTRY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 5, 2016
A typical day at work is very busy, signing clients in and out, changing them over to different locations, searches, pat downs, client group sessions on positive decision making and one on one conversations with clients on a daily basis.

I have learned to deal and work with former inmates from various backgrounds and how important it is to listen, understand, keep an open mind, be consistent and always treat people how you would want to be treated. I believe everyone deserves a chance to make things right.

I think management needs a lot of work. At a place of employment everything begins at the top. Management should care about the communication, ethics, integrity, leadership etc, and when these characteristics are not visible, there will be serious consequences.

My co-workers are good, interesting and fun to be around.

The hardest part of my job is being disrespected almost daily and the most enjoyable part of my job is having the ability to help others, seeing the results and the difference it can make in a persons life.
Pros
A lot of flexibility.
Cons
Pay rate and benefits.
Re-integrating ex-cons into the community safely and smoothly.
Community Re-entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 17, 2016
Stressful yet rewarding, build relationships with clients while working with co-workers to achieve common goal of helping clients gain leverage in controlling their life in a positive manner. Re-integrating clients with their respective communities and families is the most important goal.
Great Company to work for
Case Manager/ Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 22, 2016
Company is great to start off at the bottom and work your way to the top. Endless opportunities. Always room for advancement. Job Security is not that great.
A company with a lot of potential
Case Manager, Group Facilitator,CBS (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OH 45601March 10, 2016
Alvis is a company that has the potential to really make some changes in peoples lives. If the company would change a few things in the way of programming and intergration back into the community it could be an outstanding place for people who have had legal issues to make fresh starts. It just needs some things tweaked and we would see more self sufficient goal orientated clients returning to their communities, ready to be contributing citizens.
Pros
Provides safe place for people who are serious about reintergration
Cons
Healthcare seems to be an issue if you are a TC Client
Terrible place to work
Community ReEntry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 7, 2016
Monitored the wherabouts of clients. I learned that if troubled individuals have someone who really believes they're important and can be productive; it motivates positive thinking and behavior. Management was horrible. They wanted staff to treat clients like trash. A few co-workers were awesome to work with while others maintained the same view of treating clients horribly. The hardest part of the job was watching clients being mistreated and there wasn't much I could do about it. The most enjoyable part was knowing I made a positive difference in their lives.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Horrible Management
Halfway House Environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2016
The typical day began with assessing clients coming from jail or prison. Creating a treatment plan and finding clients employment. As a case manager I worked one on one with the most difficult clients but thrived at it. The hardest part is when a client went back to jail or prison for an infraction. The most enjoyable is when they completed the program and went home with their family.
Pros
Reaching the clients
Cons
Lack of employment opportunities for certain clients
Not good Place to work
Community Re-Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 30, 2015
Dealing with inmates is a very difficult position. It takes patience and empathy. It would help if staff was more professional and courteous.
Pros
n/a
Cons
no breaks, no cell phone usage, no caring staff
No two days were alike.
Cognitive Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 6, 2015
Had a great supportive supervisor. Enjoyed my job but realized that I could not save everyone who lived in the house. With my boss and myself it wasn't about numbers but how we could help the ladies in their recovery.
Pros
Not micro managed and loved what I did.
Cons
When you work for a non profit you don't make big money.
i love my clients
PROGAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  columbus ohOctober 25, 2015
I loved working with MRDD population its very rewarding to give back to the communiy.I loved the outings and the trips that were planned for residents and holidays and birthdays were special
Pros
clients
Cons
short breaks
Exciting
Staff Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 24, 2015
Very informative and exciting place to work - lots of responsibilities. Prepares you for being a well rounded career minded individual.
Pros
advancement
Cons
short breaks
Work Environement
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2015
great PLACE FOR growth and learning about the DD population and how to handle stressful situations. Need more organization.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Unorganized
inmates
Community Reentry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 4, 2015
A Typical day at work was a different everyday

how to deal with inmates from various backgrounds in helping meet their needs.

new at the position

very helpful

dealing with various of personalities, from staff to residents

seeing successful outcomes
Pros
Individuals re entering the community
Cons
various of backgrounds
A chance to work in community corrections
Community Re-Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 27, 2015
An average company. I prefer to keep my opinion to myself. Anytime a company repeatedly has open interviews that should tell you something.
Cons
No room for growth
beware
cademanager (Former Employee) –  Ohio linkMarch 12, 2015
This company from top management covers lies and when inmates tell the truth they have them incarcerated. They leave one person working alone male or female to look over 40 or more inmates alone the pay is horrible and the management threatens and talks to staff horrible.The facility I worked at in Toledo practiced in ethical behavior including inappropriate relaionships with clients. I am glad I left this place will ruin your carear! Everyone turns a blind eye. There was this facility is not safe!
Pros
learning about the state and federal rules.
Cons
management horrible communication does not exist in safe work environment staff has no ethics.
An essential program to assist recently released inmates to integrate into socity.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2015
The program offers excellent resources to assist client with socio-economic needs, it administers proven assessments to target areas of client's greatest needs and the program's overall success rate is above other programs offered within the area.
Clients meet with case managers on a regular basis to adjust programming needs once goals are met making reintegration into society very successful. Mental health and addiction services are offered to clients that need or are required to attend and counselors regularly report on the client's progress. Case managers reprt to probation and parole officers on a monthly basis to assess each client's progress and assist in creating personalized programs for each client.
The hardest part of the job is when a client fails to adhere to the program and is returned back to prison.
Pros
Being able to adjust your work schedule when needed.
Cons
The job has a high turnover due to job "burnout"/

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alvis House. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9