Alvord Taylor Employee Reviews

Amazing Company
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 28, 2017
I worked for them for over 2 years but did have a few months away from the company where I had some other things in life to do. It was an amazing company that did a lot of things for the individuals supported by them. I was very proud to have worked there.
Pros
Free lunch and good people.
Cons
Management was overworked which left them often times stressed and tired.
Direct Care in Group Homes for developmentally disabled adults
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Junction City, ORMarch 5, 2017
Alvord Taylor is a responsible, well organized private home provider for developmentally disabled adults in need of personal and direct care in all areas of home and community living.
Pros
Loved the clients.
Cons
Very challenging work that sometimes involved handling violence, abnormal behaviors
Great Values, Great Place to Work!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 27, 2017
Alvord Taylor really cares about the people they support and about their employees. They are pro-union and offer ridiculously great full health and dental benefits. They care about people and it shows!
Pros
Everything!
Cons
None!
Beyond Unethical Practices and Hostile Environment!
Administration (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 16, 2017
Let me start out by saying it is hard to remain professional when speaking of this company but I will try my best to do so while getting my point across.

The #1 problem here is the Executive Director. He puts on a "front" to the Board of Directors, during All-Staff Meetings and during the Company parties such as summer picnics and Christmas parties. But on a day-to-day basis he is a bully! He curses at staff and during meetings, raises his voice to an inappropriate level, demonstrates very poor communication including selective listening, interrupts you when you're talking, breaches confidentiality, gossips, doesn't seek information for a full picture when incidents/events occur and gives off a very intimidating form of body language. This man is detrimental to this organization.

Because of the way the Executive Director treats people, the administration turn over is excruciatingly high! Just in the last 12 months, that I can recall, they have lost: Finance Director (who wasn't replaced for months), the Payroll Specialist, at least 5 Program Managers (many who haven't been replaced), the Operations Manager, 2 Program Coordinators (who have not been replaced), 2 HR Manager/Generalists, the Recruiter, and countless DSP's.

Much of the staff that work there are amazing people! My immediate co-workers were incredible! Their dedication to the Individuals is outstanding, however, that dedication results in them working countless hours of overtime. This organization contributes to the poor health and crumbling of families due to the pressure the Executive Director
  more... puts on them. They are hard workers despite the constant beat-down from the Executive Director and his select few "puppets" (who will likely see the light one day).

My heart hurts for the Individuals that are supported by this agency because they are ultimately the ones that will hurt when this ship sinks...and it will sink one day. The company is structurally and financially unstable.

I ignored reviews when I started there and I wished I hadn't. If you read this and still decide to take a job with them, please PLEASE be sure you document situations. I guarantee you they will happen and you will be glad you documented things when it crumbles! I know I am!
Pros
Great Immediate Co-Workers and ETO plan
Cons
The executive director and his puppets make the rest unbearable!
Not for the faint of heart.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 6, 2017
The clients that I work with are great. However due the program that I am employed in being critically short-staffed, the clients are not benefiting from consistency, support, and are learning terrible behaviors. There is a clique environment that I found quite painful. The human resource department does not offer support nor alternatives. The program managers and coordinators are stressed out to the max. They are overwhelmed and are often called to work shifts. There is favoritism for staff that cover multiple shifts regardless of job performance because of the desperateness of the situation. This job is tragic.
Pros
The Union and the benefits.
Cons
Favoritism, staff immaturity, lack of resolution 4staff issues, extremely high staff turnover, overwhelmed supervisors, and lack of communication.
Dying slowly after key people left
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 23, 2017
I've worked here for several years and proudly watched improvement until early last year. There were grueling hours for all of us but it felt like we were a team. Several long term employees who were the heart and soul of the place left and it's just gone downhill. From talking to co-workers and listening to Managers it's clear that the Executive Director is a head-case which is why there is so much turnover from Managers on up and the Board of Directors doesn't seem to care and even keeps giving him raises.

It's sad cause the people we support are so awesome and if the Managers were supported instead of beat up all the time it wouldn't be getting so bad. We can't keep them long enough to know how to do their job it seems which makes everything else hard for everyone.

Most of my co-workers are great and as long as we don't see the Coordinators or other Admin it's not as stressful. The Union keeps the kind of blame culture and head-hunting that Managers have to put up with to a minimum unless of course you are stupid enough to put your neck out far enough to be targeted by Administration.

If you are looking to work in this field, I'd suggest working for OSLP or IEI. The people who left who didn't move out of town went to work at those companies. I've thought of quitting, but I'm too dedicated to the people I work with.
Pros
Great mission and person centered philosophy
Cons
Horrible Board of Directors and Executive Director
The staff are dedicated to the people supported
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 10, 2016
The Direct Staff are dedicated to the people supported. The Program Managers could do great but are not supported and are often blamed for any issues, even after requesting training and support. The Program Admin such as Behavior, Nurses, Training & QA are focused on providing the best supports despite lack of support & constant fear of punishment. HR is not helpful in any way and do not make employees feel appreciated, welcome or supported. The Executive Director and his right hand man, the Operations Director are not to be trusted. This place used to be somewhere to be proud to work. Now one by one almost every long term employee, especially those at management level or above, are quitting or being fired from the agency.
Pros
The people supported. Family environment. Awesome training. Medical benefits. Paid time off.
Cons
Horribly ran, Constant fear of discipline. Lack of consistency in practice. Too many extreme changes this year. HR
Executive Director and Adm.
DSW (Former Employee) –  Springfield,OrJuly 31, 2016
As a past employee and parent of a child that received services from Alvord Taylor , I would be careful when considering this company. The executive director is a nightmare, he is hot headed, a bully, has quite a large ego and his social skills leave a lot to be desired. He is more about the money and not so much the clients. Administrative staff is also not up to par. The Direct Support Staff are fabulous, they work hard, they are under paid and over worked. They are the ones that get in there and have wonderful relationships and take great care of the clients. The beginning of this year a big portion of Adm staff left, that is when things started really falling apart. I think Alvord Taylor could be a wonderful company if they would choose to replace the Executive Director and the Adm that he chose. Maybe it's time for a new Board of Directors too.
Pros
Direct Suport Staff
Cons
Administration
Alvord Taylor
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 23, 2016
Alvord Taylor when I started three years ago was a very different culture and was a great place to work. Unfortunately, it has become a place of constant fear and the work load is extremely high, with lack of support from the Executive Director. The turn over is high due to the bullying and unrealistic expectations of this person.
Great place to work with amazing staff and training opportunities!
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 5, 2016
Friendly and welcoming place to work. Amazing support system with ability to advance. The individuals served are amazing and this job is truly rewarding!
Excellent Company to work for
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 30, 2016
The staff is friendly, the people supported always are a treat and there is always someone there to listen if you have a problem.
Poor leadership by Executive Director
Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 6, 2015
Mental Health issues keep the Executive Director from being effective. He has no business in this role. He chooses to be reactive rather than proactive.
Alvord Taylor is a great place to work if you don't have to have contact with him.
Pros
Great training for Direct Support staff
Cons
Horrible Executive Director
Rewarding job
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 12, 2014
I support a female with developmental disabilities. I start my day at her apartment to assist her with medication and hygiene support. I promote and encourage life skills, including assisting her to arrive to work on time.
I have learned how to access community resources and assist with SSI,food-stamps and medicare.
I have trained new employees to advocate and job responsibilities.
Management generally attempt offer supports as needed. Also seeking out training opportunities prudent.
I have worked with some amazing job co-workers. Everyone is willing to work together as a team to support each other.
I personally find it hard to see the person I work with struggle financially due to SSI and their recourse.
I have supported and seen the person I support achieve life goals she never thought she could do. I assisted her with finding employment and start saving money. Her happiness has been the best part of my job.
Pros
Camping and fishing on the job
Cons
On-call
Extensive training, competitive wage and benefits,
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 25, 2014
Out of all the brokerage agencies in the Eugene/Springfield area, Alvord-Taylor provides the highest level of support, best quality of life, and has the most extensive training program. Training is ongoing, and staff are offered opportunities to attend outside trainings, seminars, and workshops. The problem many people have with this job is expecting it to be a "caregiver" type of position. Direct support is not caregiving. It isn't even in the same ballpark as caregiving. Direct support professionals work to help people achieve on their own.

One day could be spent teaching somebody to balance his checkbook, and the next spent accompanying a supported person to guitar lessons. The work is fun and very fulfilling. There can be some violent episodes with some people, but it is rare. Staff are well-trained to work through any situation, and behavior specialists work hard to write comprehensive support plans.

When a person really shines at the job, they become almost a commodity of sorts. The job can easily turn into a 60 hour per week job instead of 40. A dedicated staff member can be called in to cover shifts almost every day. Bonuses are paid for relief shift coverage, but all that work can burn a person out quickly, and there is no loyalty from above. At Alvord-Taylor, admin judges staff by the last mistake made. You may have helped managers out of scheduling binds, and assisted a supported person to ride the bus on their own, but what will be remembered is your last medication error.

Management has a very large turnover rate. There is a lot of pressure on managers,
  more... and little support. The longest serving manager has been in the position just over two years. Admin hires most managers from outside the agency, and many new managers have never worked in a human services position before.

Coworkers are great. The front-line employees are excellent at the job. I work with over two-hundred people that I enjoy being around. People who do not do the job well leave quickly, as this isn't the type of job a person can fake.

Overall I love working for Alvord-Taylor. It is my coworkers and people I assist that make me love coming to work each day.
Pros
Great coworkers, fulfilling career, extensive training, good pay
Cons
Limited advancement, high turnover, upper admin inaccessible, demanding of time
do not work for alvord taylor
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Springfield Eugene OregonApril 11, 2013
Innept management. They promote incompetence. They want employees to not care and just be baby sitters because they fear the negative publicity if something bad happens when doing things in public, basically they want employees to be submissive and not promote the people they serve because they are fearful. They hire almost anyone because of their high turnover and will stiick you at the bad houses without explaining they are the difficult houses because nobody else will work there. They will work you so much and illegal short turnaround times then treat you poorly if you ever stop being a slave. They allow marijuana use by staff and management. May be non profit but administration is high paid. They do nothing to keep the good employees. Terrible policies and business practices. No employee retention practices. They take earned vacation when you quit. I suggest working for small companies (families) doing this type of work.
Pros
easy to get hired
Cons
innept. no intellegence. primote easily manipulated people.
Great staff, poor leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  SpringfieldFebruary 8, 2013
This agency does a wonderful job focusing on the people they support, improving quality of life.

The higher leadership is hostile and punitive, which only adds stress to the support staff. I've witnessed the Executive Director pacing the hallways and yelling at other administrative employees. The level of training for management is almost nonexistent, which results in poor supervision and leadership of support staff.

The Board of Directors is hardly involved in the operations of the agency, and only serve as a "rubber stamp" for the Executive Director.

I genuinely believe a change in Excutive Director could improve the organization. Having someone who is less punitive and more team oriented leading the agency could drastically improve working conditions for employees and living conditions for those served.
Pros
great training for support staff, and many dedicated employees who believe in the mission
Cons
hostile and ineffective executive director, poor compensation for management
Great place to work, but pay<expectations
DSP (Current Employee) –  Springfield OregonFebruary 5, 2013
If you end up in a good site, this is a great place to work, but the bad sites are full of incompetent, petty, and bitter people. It's unclear if management doesn't know how to fix it or can't because of the union.
Pros
devoted employees and interesting people
Cons
punitive procedures which are ineffective rooting out bad staff and just cause resentment
Hard Place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 28, 2012
This agency has a tendency to run you ragged. At first it was great the training is great, however there is an outstanding lack of teamwork and organization.
Pros
it is wonderfull to see life quality improve.
Cons
sometimes you get beat up.