Alvord Taylor Employee Reviews in United States

Alvord Taylor
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 23, 2016
Alvord Taylor when I started three years ago was a very different culture and was a great place to work. Unfortunately, it has become a place of constant fear and the work load is extremely high, with lack of support from the Executive Director. The turn over is high due to the bullying and unrealistic expectations of this person.
Great place to work with amazing staff and training opportunities!
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 5, 2016
Friendly and welcoming place to work. Amazing support system with ability to advance. The individuals served are amazing and this job is truly rewarding!
Excellent Company to work for
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 30, 2016
The staff is friendly, the people supported always are a treat and there is always someone there to listen if you have a problem.
Poor leadership by Executive Director
Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 6, 2015
Mental Health issues keep the Executive Director from being effective. He has no business in this role. He chooses to be reactive rather than proactive.
Alvord Taylor is a great place to work if you don't have to have contact with him.
Pros
Great training for Direct Support staff
Cons
Horrible Executive Director
Rewarding job
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 12, 2014
I support a female with developmental disabilities. I start my day at her apartment to assist her with medication and hygiene support. I promote and encourage life skills, including assisting her to arrive to work on time.
I have learned how to access community resources and assist with SSI,food-stamps and medicare.
I have trained new employees to advocate and job responsibilities.
Management generally attempt offer supports as needed. Also seeking out training opportunities prudent.
I have worked with some amazing job co-workers. Everyone is willing to work together as a team to support each other.
I personally find it hard to see the person I work with struggle financially due to SSI and their recourse.
I have supported and seen the person I support achieve life goals she never thought she could do. I assisted her with finding employment and start saving money. Her happiness has been the best part of my job.
Pros
camping and fishing on the job
Cons
on-call
Extensive training, competitive wage and benefits,
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 25, 2014
Out of all the brokerage agencies in the Eugene/Springfield area, Alvord-Taylor provides the highest level of support, best quality of life, and has the most extensive training program. Training is ongoing, and staff are offered opportunities to attend outside trainings, seminars, and workshops. The problem many people have with this job is expecting it to be a "caregiver" type of position. Direct support is not caregiving. It isn't even in the same ballpark as caregiving. Direct support professionals work to help people achieve on their own.

One day could be spent teaching somebody to balance his checkbook, and the next spent accompanying a supported person to guitar lessons. The work is fun and very fulfilling. There can be some violent episodes with some people, but it is rare. Staff are well-trained to work through any situation, and behavior specialists work hard to write comprehensive support plans.

When a person really shines at the job, they become almost a commodity of sorts. The job can easily turn into a 60 hour per week job instead of 40. A dedicated staff member can be called in to cover shifts almost every day. Bonuses are paid for relief shift coverage, but all that work can burn a person out quickly, and there is no loyalty from above. At Alvord-Taylor, admin judges staff by the last mistake made. You may have helped managers out of scheduling binds, and assisted a supported person to ride the bus on their own, but what will be remembered is your last medication error.

Management has a very large turnover rate. There is a lot of pressure on managers, and little
  more... support. The longest serving manager has been in the position just over two years. Admin hires most managers from outside the agency, and many new managers have never worked in a human services position before.

Coworkers are great. The front-line employees are excellent at the job. I work with over two-hundred people that I enjoy being around. People who do not do the job well leave quickly, as this isn't the type of job a person can fake.

Overall I love working for Alvord-Taylor. It is my coworkers and people I assist that make me love coming to work each day.
Pros
great coworkers, fulfilling career, extensive training, good pay
Cons
limited advancement, high turnover, upper admin inaccessible, demanding of time
do not work for alvord taylor
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Springfield Eugene OregonApril 11, 2013
Innept management. They promote incompetence. They want employees to not care and just be baby sitters because they fear the negative publicity if something bad happens when doing things in public, basically they want employees to be submissive and not promote the people they serve because they are fearful. They hire almost anyone because of their high turnover and will stiick you at the bad houses without explaining they are the difficult houses because nobody else will work there. They will work you so much and illegal short turnaround times then treat you poorly if you ever stop being a slave. They allow marijuana use by staff and management. May be non profit but administration is high paid. They do nothing to keep the good employees. Terrible policies and business practices. No employee retention practices. They take earned vacation when you quit. I suggest working for small companies (families) doing this type of work.
Pros
easy to get hired
Cons
innept. no intellegence. primote easily manipulated people.
Great place to work, but pay<expectations
DSP (Current Employee) –  Springfield OregonFebruary 5, 2013
If you end up in a good site, this is a great place to work, but the bad sites are full of incompetent, petty, and bitter people. It's unclear if management doesn't know how to fix it or can't because of the union.
Pros
devoted employees and interesting people
Cons
punitive procedures which are ineffective rooting out bad staff and just cause resentment
Hard Place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 28, 2012
This agency has a tendency to run you ragged. At first it was great the training is great, however there is an outstanding lack of teamwork and organization.
Pros
it is wonderfull to see life quality improve.
Cons
sometimes you get beat up.

Want to know more about Alvord Taylor?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alvord Taylor. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7