Alvord Unified School District Employee Reviews

Good school district to work for.
Substitute teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 3, 2016
The job itself was a lot of fun. Being a substitute teacher taught me a lot about myself and people in general. The job is rewarding.
Great Culture
Systems Integrator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 18, 2016
Alvord USD has a great culture. Working for them has been a pleasure. The only downside, at least from the IT perspective, is that there is no room for advancement unless you have a teaching credential. Other than that, it is an awesome place to work.
A good district to sub for, a tougher district to get into
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 18, 2016
Daily substitute teaching experiences in this district are fairly standard. Daily work is steady but long-term substitute assignments can be difficult.
Pros
Close to local stores, good discipline
Cons
Poor communication between district offices and each school's administration
Inspiring and motivating place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 25, 2016
Every morning when I walk into work there is a since of hope and purpose to the day. All of the employees within the district are helpful, they have a since of not only teamwork but also of family when working together.
Great salary and benefits, but it is difficult to retain your job if you work with an unethical leader unchecked leader that fosters negativity.
Education (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 17, 2016
It is a great district with great educational support, and some great district personnel. Just be weary of "an" unchecked, grossly unethical, unprofessional and unsupervised principal. Supervisors/Superintendents of principals need to take a "systematic and unbiased stance" regarding principal comportment. The students should truly come first, and this district needs to truly care about its parent's voices, and concerns at each individual school site. That is a part of educational equity.
Pros
The salary and some great professional district personnel. This district has so much potential
Cons
There are glaring social and educational issues.
Classified Substitute Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 10, 2016
Alvord is a great place to work. I have met many different individuals at all of the schools I have worked at and appreciate the flexibility the job offers.
Pros
Able to work when needed around my primary job at Vons
Cons
No benefits
fun, productive, positive, recognition, appreciated
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 8, 2016
Nice place to work - We respected each one as a professional and like family. It was a fun place to work at. The atmosphere was very positive. I would have retired from there had personal situation not happened. They are still my family.
Pros
Everyone worked as a team
Cons
having a small library
The more you work, the more you make.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 4, 2016
A great job for those looking for experience in teaching/education related jobs. You aren't guaranteed work but you do end up working almost every day.
Pros
Accommodating to your schedule.
Cons
Not the most competitive district in Riverside.
Great job experience where I worked with kids of all ages with varying disabilities
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 11, 2015
This job has taught me that you may have to use different strategies while communicating with different individuals. The teachers I work with are awesome and everyone always helps each other out.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
Disorganized school district
Fun place to work. Easy work with a definite purpose.
o District Mail Room Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 4, 2015
I go in early and have just enough time to do what I need to do. Coworkers and interaction with the students make it always an interesting day. Being a union company makes it interesting as well.

Want to know more about Alvord Unified School District?

Ask a question
An amazing team to work with.
Program Specialist, Sp. Ed (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 28, 2014
As a teacher, loved my students, as a department, I truly enjoyed my colleagues, and administration truly cared about what was happening with the students,

As Program Specialist, I mostly enjoyed the autonomy. trust, teamwork, and respect amongst all of us working in the office. In the field, I particularly enjoyed training new teacher, development and facilitating staff development as well as demonstrating teaching strategies for job coaching. Amazing Experience with student teacher that continues today after 10-15 years since my students have graduated and moved on. I am very proud of them.
Pros
Students!
Cons
Paperwork
Positive staff, parents/ productive/enthusiastic climate to work in.
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 12, 2014
As a Resource Specialist, there is a lot of variety in my job .
-Many opportunities for Professional/Personal growth
-Management (due to many changes in the District, stretched thin)
-Coworkers are pleasant, hardworking, and respectful
-The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity to develop my professional/personal skills by the challenges met daily.
Pros
Professional Development, Collaboration with Teachers, Agencies
Cons
Unexpected outcomes when Advocating for a child.
Excellent and rewarding learning experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 3, 2014
I learned how to tutor children in an educational environment where discipline and respect were paramount alongside a friendly and warming culture of growth.

My co-workers were very bright fellow students whom I enjoyed the company of.

My advisers were well-experienced educations.

The hardest part of the job was working with unruly children, but this taught me that no child is the same and that I must approach each one with that in mind and to cater to their individual needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a child learn new material and feel proud of his accomplishments.
Pros
Feel like a child again, an imaginative yet educational work environment
Cons
Big responsibility to students which can be a pro and con.
Patience is a virtue
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 29, 2013
I worked with middle school kids in the after school program and they are very energetic.
typicical day at work
Food Service Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 6, 2013
come in morn help prepare food and wrap it it up making sure cooler is filled with milk and drinks.Bake cookies package them ready to sell to students.three lunches rush pretty fast..Then after first lunch we restock and get ready for 2nd lunch,get all dishes together and was and clean..
Pros
free lunches for those who needed it.
Cons
insurance was too much ..
Good
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 18, 2012
Everything about this job is good especially working with great co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to serve children their food.
Cons
healthcare
Enjoy working at the Middle Schools
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 6, 2012
Once you get to know some of the secretaries you may be able to get work that way, but overall since the new system was implemented it is really hard to work the way one was use to as a Sub.
On a typical day I would teach about 160 students in five different periods. I really enjoy teaching the students easier ways to learn math skills.
Some of the co-workers at each site were ok others were unbearable. Think their better than us Subs because they are teaching full time.
Pros
great teacher appreciate days.
Cons
hard to find work on the new subfinder-aesop

4.4