AM COMMUNICATIONS Employee Reviews

The worst company ive ever worked for period.
tech (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 23, 2015
I cant not even being to say everything that is wrong with this company, not only is the pay terrible if youre not Kissing A** to the bosses you wont go anywhere with them, the day, I had the main boss get in my face and call me worthless and young and stupid and he hopes i have fun at mcdonalds, Then after leaving because i was steaming i went back to get my tablet i left in the truck and it was "magically" not there, yeah i bet. do not work here please its not worth it, i got home at 9 or 10 almost every night and barely made 400 a paycheck plus you get treated like trash the whole time and they will cut all corners the can
Do not work here
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Ohio, Lexington KYNovember 7, 2015
You will not make more than minimum wage, you will not make a living, you will have no life, no matter how good you do it will not be enough.

This company is about to go under as a massive class action lawsuit is on the way.

DO NOT WORK HERE THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR FAMILY

The sign on bonus, you will not get it for 1 year because they don't expect you to stay that long.
Pros
Cons
Everything, you pay $25 a week for their vehicle and gas card, they make promises and do not keep them
All about the numbers
Cable Technician/Installer (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVOctober 31, 2015
Worked there two years , through me out like I was nothing . You're only a number unless you're part of the clique. Do yourself a favor and don't let them use you .
Pros
Great Job
Cons
Supervisors are arshes
Great learning Experience
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioSeptember 17, 2015
Great place to learn how to install cable if you are willing to learn competitive pay with room for advancement. I would recommend this company if you are looking into getting in to the world of cable installation.
Good pay for hard work
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 28, 2015
I have worked for this company for the last two years. I learned quickly during my training that this was a job where I was going to get out of it what I put into it.

When I finished training, they gave me my own truck and I was on my way. At first it was slow going and I couldn't get enough work completed to get a big check like some of the other guys. After time I got better at my work and was able to get more work done. Then my checks started getting bigger.

The work is not the easiest but the pay is good if you work hard and stay busy.
Pros
If I get a lot of work done, I make more money
Cons
Working on weekends
Not a place I would recommend, especially if you have a family.
Solutions Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 28, 2015
No work life balance, makes you provide all of your own tools, Low pay and very long hours, serious lack of field support, constant change of routes due to poor and inadequate staffing.
Pros
Work Truck
Cons
Everything Else
not worth your time
cable. technican (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAMay 11, 2015
I started this company in NOV. They promised 800 a week once you got " faster". Since NOV I've busted my but worked 6 to 7 days a week no time with ym family. For MIN wages at 7.25 so 60 hrs a week after taxes and insurance I get barley 300 take home.

Listen people. People at McDonald's or bk make more
They don't care about anything but numbers.
Pros
take your truck home . fuel card
Cons
they say they paid you 12 $ a hr based on point. BASICALY. YOU GWT PAUD MINIMUM WAGES
get a work truck to take home.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 25, 2015
more then 60 hr a wk,you have to buy your own tools,work 6 days a wk not a fun job.hard work and they don't care for family time.
Pros
take truck home with a 25 dollar
terrible job would not reccomend
supervisor (Current Employee) –  paintsville kyJanuary 15, 2015
Terrible companyy to work for. Every tech in my area is looking for another job. We are stuck here for now!!
Most expensive job I have ever had! You are required to supply about 500$ of your own tools. 25$ a week comes out of your check for your truck. I have worked in cable for several years now and This is the worse company I have worked for. You are paid per job and you have to fight for every penny, they will cheat you out of anything they can. I was promised the world when I was hired but have since been treated like dirt. Your pay stub does not honestly reflect how you are paid its converted to an hourly average. In house techs are your worse enemy!!
Pros
freedom of the open road
Cons
too many to list. poor balance of work and family life
Very fun its time comsuming but I loved it.
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 20, 2014
Typical cable installation job usually handle 4-12 jobs a day going all over the city usually is fun and you learn something new everyday.
Pros
meeting new people with all kinds of wonderful and differnt personalities.
Cons
mangament is very iffy.
Horrible Company
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 17, 2014
This company will promise you bonuses, trainer pay and all sorts of things and will never follow through with it. They will work you 80 hours a week and you will bring home minimum wage a lot of the time yes you can make more but this company tries to ruin it for you!
Cons
no breaks, bad pay, horrible hours
No Work Availible
Instillation Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIApril 28, 2014
Well With this job I began With a 3 week training course That I completed and obtained a Certificate, From their I Thought that I would Go Straight into work but unfortunately I Got Laid-off with a few others Who completed their training. I Never Got the Chance to work and I Waited my time Going to a three week training Course.
Pros
great skill to know
Cons
no work availble
The other negative reviews are NOT lying about AM Communications!!!
Cable Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 7, 2014
It is better to learn from other people's mistakes than your own mistakes, so do not waste your precious time with these con-artists! If you want to be hard-headed like I was, then go to the interview and find out for yourself. The training is only $8.50 an hour and they'll tell you that the reason why the training pay is so low, is because they do not want you to think that this is just some job, that it's a career! Lol... Yeah right!!! There are many entry-level jobs that will start you out at $11.00 an hour during training, but $8.50 an hour??? So do not believe their lame excuse about why they start you out so low at $8.50 an hour during training. Nor believe their lie that after your first five weeks of training you can make upwards from $32,000 - $50,000 your first year, it's just not true! They have to find some way to try and sugar-coat the truth from you right? Otherwise they would never be able to find any employees that they can sucker to come and work for them, it's that simple! And no employees means no business! They will also tell you that the reason why they are hiring so much is because AM Communications is expanding. Wrong!!! They're hiring so much because their former employees have rightfully quit on AM Communications so that they can go work for more reputable cable companies that will actually pay them fairly! Do not forget that AM Communications is just a "contractor" that solely depends on major cable companies for work!!! Also, if you have a misdemeanor battery charge that is more than seven years old, they will not even hire you. I can understand any  more... kind of sexual charge, or any real extreme violent crime like felony assault, but a simple misdemeanor battery charge more than seven years old should not even be an issue, since you have many Fortune 500 companies that only ask if you've ever been convicted of any misdemeanors in the last five years, and any felonies in the last seven years, that's it! So even though AM Communications criminal background policy is no misdemeanors in the last three years, no felonies in the last seven years, and no sexual crime of any kind ever in a lifetime; yet they also add this one, "no violent crime of any kind, (EVER IN A LIFETIME)" and it doesn't even matter if it's just a simple misdemeanor battery charge! So not only is AM Communications starting pay of $8.50 an hour harsh, but their criminal background policy is just as harsh! However, if your criminal background does disqualify you from being hired by AM Communications, you better thank their harsh criminal background policy and your criminal past! Lol... Because your criminal background just saved you from an unethical-greedy company that only wants to pay you as low as possible, while demanding long inhumane hours from you just so that they can profit off of you, while in return you aren't profiting nothing!!! So be wise and do what AM Communications does not want you to do, which is to do your own research on them instead of just believing their lies, because AM Communications CANNOT run or hide from whistleblowers that expose the truth about them out on the web, and that report them to the Better Business Bureau!!! Also during the interview, if you hear the interviewer from AM Communications say that he used to work at a place that paid him $250,000 a year and he quit that job just to come back to cable because he said he didn't like to sit in the office all day and missed working for the cable industry... You know right there he's just trying to swindle you! Because who leaves an office job that pays you $250,000 a year for the cable industry that doesn't pay you nothing near that amount? I'll tell you who, someone who just wants to deceive you so that they can slave-drive you and make money off of you while paying you little!!!  less
Pros
n/a
Cons
dishonesty, hypocrisy, greed, and harshness!
very customer driver work place
LEAD WAREHOUSE Technician/Management Support Staff (Former Employee) –  madison ghts mi ,48071March 3, 2014
i find this to be a step up from most contracting cable workplaces they seem to actually care about their employees
Good job with good pay
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 13, 2014
I've worked for two different cable contracting companies and prefer AM Communications by far.

It's a stable job with good pay and plenty of work. It's cable installation, so sure, there are evening and weekend hours, because that's when customers are home. I have a family to support so I'll take all the overtime I can get.

And sometimes it is cold, hot or wet working outdoors, but I get a company truck to drive and get to work independently throughout the day. I don't usually need help, but the managers and other technicians are there if I need them. I've also had the chance to train new employees and to travel to other cities to work when I wanted to.
Pros
pay, company truck, gas card, benefits, good training program
Cons
working outdoors, sometimes jobs take longer than expected
No Need To Apply Here
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 1, 2014
I've been in the industry for many years and this is by far the worst company I've ever come across. Local management is fantastic but the higher-ups are micro-managing, greedy, and out of touch with their technicians and support staff. They offer little help to improve technician's work hours or to allow the office to run more efficiently. The blame is put on to the MSO when they're not the problem (most of the time). No technician stays more than a few months and very few trainees ever get out of training and try to create any sort of tenure with the company. It's a joke. The company claims to have a wonderful culture within, but it just isn't there. It's not even close. You will hate it. Stay far away. All you will ever do is work and get yelled at. Period.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
a whole bunch of strenouis work
Cable Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2014
man o man this guys dont care that you have a life to live or a family to go home to i worked from 7am till 11pm on a DAILY BASIS 6 DAYS A WEEK IT COULDVE RAINED ALL DAY THEY DIDNT CARE AS LONG AS THE JOB GOT DONE BELOW 0 DEGREES THEY DIDNT CARE THEY STILL EXPECTED YOU TO WORK OUTSIDE ALL DAY WOULDNT REFFER TO ONE TO THESE GUYS AND LIKE TO LIE TO MAKE THERE SELVES LOOK GOOD
Pros
good money if you're willing to work 80-95 hrs a week
Cons
you will have no life except work work work!.. that's not a life!
Interesting workplace
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIDecember 28, 2013
Good management team and nice co-workers. We have a lot of fun while getting the job done.
I wish I could say that the other reviews are wrong, but they're not.
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2013
I wish I could say that the other reviews are wrong, but they're not. Notice that most of the locations are different, but the experiences are the same.

I worked for AM for a little over a year. The company was unorganized and did not take care of their employees. I never had any issues with getting a paycheck, but the pay was always low. On average a work day was 12 hours or more and management usually did not answer the phone or return calls after 5pm. The work week was 6 days a week. I usually worked 60-70 hours in the week. This schedule does not leave time for a life outside of work.

The only good thing that came out of this job was the experience gained. Training is provided, but the training was a joke. The experience came from the sink or swim atmosphere. Most technicians sink fast. Notice that a few of the other reviews did not work longer than a couple months.

Training is only $8/hr and you are limited to 40/wk(the last time you get anywhere close to that number).

Only a few specialty tools are provided. The technician must pay hundreds out of pocket for tools/boots.

When I was there company uniforms were payroll deducted.

I would work a minimum wage job before working for this Company again. The pay is about the same, but with less headaches.
Pros
company vehicle.. saved money on gas, experience
Cons
long hours... 6 days a week. low pay.
Consider the job as training.
Tech (Former Employee) –  DaytonNovember 20, 2013
Work at your own risk: this company will open the doorway into a career and they will provide the vehicle necessary for the job. However management does not support staff, they do not want you to have a life outside of work, and when your doing well making the company thousands you get a good morning as opposed to when you make a mistake you receive verbal condescension in front of peers. Supervisors will tell you to do things to get a job complete that is against the contract holders policies to keep a steady flow of production, knowing that it will hurt your personal reputation with these larger company's and the customers. Basically the management staff is effective on paper at the cost of its employees and the company's owners really need to take a look at what's going on in the field or at the office more than twice a year if they value keeping a quality staff. I will say this however, there is definitely work to be had and overtime with the company if you don't mind making minimum wage or if you don't have a family/personal goals. Really the only enjoyable/tolerable part of the job is the loyal/hardworking employees you will be with in the field and the customers who will really appreciate your ability to meet and exceed standards.
Pros
it's a doorway into cable.
Cons
management, hours, pay

2.1