AM COMMUNICATIONS Employee Reviews

Challenging
Safety and training development specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 21, 2016
It's a fine job. You just need to have a strong work ethic. Co workers can be great. Management in some aspects are iffy at best. Being away from family is the hardest part.
Miserable Work Environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 22, 2016
I ran one of their offices for a few months and it was the worst professional decision I've ever made. The dishonesty and greed that I witnessed is parallel to no other business I've ever worked for. I was privy to the weekly invoices and knew the labor costs; the employees were paid peanuts compared to the revenue the system generated. I would work between 70 and 80 hours per week; sometimes 7 days a week from sun-up to well after sundown. There was no morale whatsoever in the office and no help from corporate to fix any concerns. They were happy with hiring new technicians weekly and made no effort to keep the good ones because they refused to part with a fair wage. I don't care how desperate you are for work, please do not apply with this company. You will regret every second your there and despise waking up in the morning to go to this job. There are absolutely no positive aspects of this company. STAY FAR AWAY!
Pros
Cons
The Company Itself
good management and great workers but hands tied by upper management
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHMarch 25, 2012
The company has good workers and management standards. But there us no life outside of work and very long hours. The workers are pushed to the limit mentally and physically in goods ways and bad, but more bad than good. If the hours and the uncontrollable aspects with bad equipment was cut down it would new a decent place to work
Pros
job security and good workers
Cons
no life out side of work...long hours low pay
No Need To Apply Here
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 1, 2014
I've been in the industry for many years and this is by far the worst company I've ever come across. Local management is fantastic but the higher-ups are micro-managing, greedy, and out of touch with their technicians and support staff. They offer little help to improve technician's work hours or to allow the office to run more efficiently. The blame is put on to the MSO when they're not the problem (most of the time). No technician stays more than a few months and very few trainees ever get out of training and try to create any sort of tenure with the company. It's a joke. The company claims to have a wonderful culture within, but it just isn't there. It's not even close. You will hate it. Stay far away. All you will ever do is work and get yelled at. Period.
Work at own risk
installation tech (Former Employee) –  daytonJuly 7, 2012
Maybe just my expierence but I worked there for a month and never recieved a paycheck. Also the hours guaranteed too me were not the hours I got. Management is a little sketchy. The do have a very big contract with time warner but and the pay is par for the course. One good thing is they provide vehicles to drive. The way the company is run though is very sketchy to say the least. Another fact is they bombard you with work late in the afternoon.
Pros
vehicle provided
Cons
extremely long hours
Great learning Experience
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioSeptember 17, 2015
Great place to learn how to install cable if you are willing to learn competitive pay with room for advancement. I would recommend this company if you are looking into getting in to the world of cable installation.
Good pay for hard work
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 28, 2015
I have worked for this company for the last two years. I learned quickly during my training that this was a job where I was going to get out of it what I put into it.

When I finished training, they gave me my own truck and I was on my way. At first it was slow going and I couldn't get enough work completed to get a big check like some of the other guys. After time I got better at my work and was able to get more work done. Then my checks started getting bigger.

The work is not the easiest but the pay is good if you work hard and stay busy.
Pros
If I get a lot of work done, I make more money
Cons
Working on weekends
Good employer working in telecommunications
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Galion, OHApril 29, 2016
AM Communications is a fast growing installation company that works to find the best balance between employee and company expectations.
Consider the job as training.
Tech (Former Employee) –  DaytonNovember 20, 2013
Work at your own risk: this company will open the doorway into a career and they will provide the vehicle necessary for the job. However management does not support staff, they do not want you to have a life outside of work, and when your doing well making the company thousands you get a good morning as opposed to when you make a mistake you receive verbal condescension in front of peers. Supervisors will tell you to do things to get a job complete that is against the contract holders policies to keep a steady flow of production, knowing that it will hurt your personal reputation with these larger company's and the customers. Basically the management staff is effective on paper at the cost of its employees and the company's owners really need to take a look at what's going on in the field or at the office more than twice a year if they value keeping a quality staff. I will say this however, there is definitely work to be had and overtime with the company if you don't mind making minimum wage or if you don't have a family/personal goals. Really the only enjoyable/tolerable part of the job is the loyal/hardworking employees you will be with in the field and the customers who will really appreciate your ability to meet and exceed standards.
Pros
It's a doorway into cable.
Cons
Management, hours, pay
The worst company ive ever worked for period.
tech (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 23, 2015
I cant not even being to say everything that is wrong with this company, not only is the pay terrible if youre not Kissing A** to the bosses you wont go anywhere with them, the day, I had the main boss get in my face and call me worthless and young and stupid and he hopes i have fun at mcdonalds, Then after leaving because i was steaming i went back to get my tablet i left in the truck and it was "magically" not there, yeah i bet. do not work here please its not worth it, i got home at 9 or 10 almost every night and barely made 400 a paycheck plus you get treated like trash the whole time and they will cut all corners the can
I wish I could say that the other reviews are wrong, but they're not.
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2013
I wish I could say that the other reviews are wrong, but they're not. Notice that most of the locations are different, but the experiences are the same.

I worked for AM for a little over a year. The company was unorganized and did not take care of their employees. I never had any issues with getting a paycheck, but the pay was always low. On average a work day was 12 hours or more and management usually did not answer the phone or return calls after 5pm. The work week was 6 days a week. I usually worked 60-70 hours in the week. This schedule does not leave time for a life outside of work.

The only good thing that came out of this job was the experience gained. Training is provided, but the training was a joke. The experience came from the sink or swim atmosphere. Most technicians sink fast. Notice that a few of the other reviews did not work longer than a couple months.

Training is only $8/hr and you are limited to 40/wk(the last time you get anywhere close to that number).

Only a few specialty tools are provided. The technician must pay hundreds out of pocket for tools/boots.

When I was there company uniforms were payroll deducted.

I would work a minimum wage job before working for this Company again. The pay is about the same, but with less headaches.
Pros
Company vehicle.. saved money on gas, Experience
Cons
Long hours... 6 days a week. Low pay.
Good job with good pay
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 13, 2014
I've worked for two different cable contracting companies and prefer AM Communications by far.

It's a stable job with good pay and plenty of work. It's cable installation, so sure, there are evening and weekend hours, because that's when customers are home. I have a family to support so I'll take all the overtime I can get.

And sometimes it is cold, hot or wet working outdoors, but I get a company truck to drive and get to work independently throughout the day. I don't usually need help, but the managers and other technicians are there if I need them. I've also had the chance to train new employees and to travel to other cities to work when I wanted to.
Pros
Pay, company truck, gas card, benefits, good training program
Cons
Working outdoors, sometimes jobs take longer than expected
horrible company only cares about the bottom line
technician (Current Employee) –  middleburg htsMarch 27, 2013
Am communications is a horrible employer. if you want to work 65-75 hours a week, not see your family and make minimum wage then its right for you. They use an efficency style pay that keeps all the money within the company. They constantly go back on their word and write you up for everything now a days. Just installed gps tracking units in their trucks to reduce the cost of fuel yet the management and supervisors are exempt from this. average check for working is 390-460 a week after taxes for 65-75 hours. Charge you $25 a week to take the truck home. I would not reccommend this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
its a job
Cons
just about everything
No personal life only work
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 25, 2015
This job is horrible you have to work 6 days a week and you have to bust a## to make anything. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
take home vehicle
Cons
low pay, no time off, horrible management.
Do not work here
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Ohio, Lexington KYNovember 7, 2015
You will not make more than minimum wage, you will not make a living, you will have no life, no matter how good you do it will not be enough.

This company is about to go under as a massive class action lawsuit is on the way.

DO NOT WORK HERE THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR FAMILY

The sign on bonus, you will not get it for 1 year because they don't expect you to stay that long.
Pros
Cons
Everything, you pay $25 a week for their vehicle and gas card, they make promises and do not keep them
Beware
installation tech (Former Employee) –  daytonJuly 6, 2012
The company does not go off there word. Make sure when you hire in whatever they tell you is in writing. I worked there for 4 weeks and never got a paycheck. Excuse after excuse. The job is cable, if you done it before its no different. Co workers seemed to help ya out if need be but mainly you were on your own. This company sounds good on paper, and they do have alot of work to do in the area, but beware they say one thing and do another.
Pros
not a 1099 position
Cons
long hours no family time
Not a place I would recommend, especially if you have a family.
Solutions Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 28, 2015
No work life balance, makes you provide all of your own tools, Low pay and very long hours, serious lack of field support, constant change of routes due to poor and inadequate staffing.
Pros
Work Truck
Cons
Everything Else
terrible job would not reccomend
supervisor (Current Employee) –  paintsville kyJanuary 15, 2015
Terrible companyy to work for. Every tech in my area is looking for another job. We are stuck here for now!!
Most expensive job I have ever had! You are required to supply about 500$ of your own tools. 25$ a week comes out of your check for your truck. I have worked in cable for several years now and This is the worse company I have worked for. You are paid per job and you have to fight for every penny, they will cheat you out of anything they can. I was promised the world when I was hired but have since been treated like dirt. Your pay stub does not honestly reflect how you are paid its converted to an hourly average. In house techs are your worse enemy!!
Pros
freedom of the open road
Cons
too many to list. poor balance of work and family life
They only cared about getting the job done at any cost.
Cable Installation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHApril 30, 2012
A typical day started at 6am and end around 10pm 6 days a week.
I learned that you need to get everything someone offers you for a job in writing. I had a feild operations supervisor directly over me and a operations manager that over seen the office. Both of wich were very good at telling you what you wanted to hear but never followed thruogh with it. The other 2 supervisors were great we worked very well together and was able to acomplish some great goals.The hardest part of the job was working 16hrs a day 6 days a week. It takes a huge toll on the family. The most enjoyable part was helping train the techs and watching them achive there goals.
not worth your time
cable. technican (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAMay 11, 2015
I started this company in NOV. They promised 800 a week once you got " faster". Since NOV I've busted my but worked 6 to 7 days a week no time with ym family. For MIN wages at 7.25 so 60 hrs a week after taxes and insurance I get barley 300 take home.

Listen people. People at McDonald's or bk make more
They don't care about anything but numbers.
Pros
take your truck home . fuel card
Cons
they say they paid you 12 $ a hr based on point. BASICALY. YOU GWT PAUD MINIMUM WAGES

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AM COMMUNICATIONS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2