Amazon.com Employee Reviews

Found 8,591 reviews matching the search
Great company, need to be the right person for the job
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 16, 2016
A typical day is a 10 hour shift where management is expected to arrive 1 hour early and leave 1 hour late - in order to prepare for the day and then report on the days results to upper management
I have learned a lot working for Amazon, i have developed my leadership skills tremendously. I have gained experience in developing a team, in performance managing hundreds of direct reports. I have gained knowledge in lean methodologies and performed a multitude of process improvement initiatives.

You have to be a certain type of person to succeed in this role. It is most definitely not a 9-5 type of job. The hours are long and the expectations are high. The payoff is good when you have the right team and are in a department where you can flourish.
Pros
Company reputation, opportunities for advancement, great benefits
Cons
Work/life balance
Great workplace to learn and develop as a professional
Warehouse Associate Tier III (Shift Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 16, 2016
Amazon allows its associates to advance and develop their career opportunities through different programs but the amount of work and mandatory overtime required makes it a very hard and exhausting place to work. The balance between personal and work life becomes difficult to manage due to the amount of hours required to work and the compensation and benefits are not worth it.
Even though Amazon can be a fun place to work with many incentives, fun activities, holiday celebrations and more, the tasks become repetitive and boring after a few months making it difficult for the associates to stay motivated.
Pros
Free lunch on holidays, good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, repetitive tasks. bad management team
Good Place Overall
Ambassador/Stower/Process Guide (Former Employee) –  Robbinsville, NJDecember 6, 2016
I really enjoyed the fast pace and culture of this job! There are wonderful people to work with here and you can make a positive lasting impression on people's lives here. I've made great friends! The only issues I has was the long hours with short breaks, and you can do so much for this company as far as training others and helping in so many ways but there is little room for advancement, as they seem to promote the slackers. I would definitely go back and work for this company as I left due to another job offer.. I miss it and will be applying again with the hopes of a leadership role!
Pros
Fun, fast pace, cool people to work with
Cons
Compensation, a lot of work and little room for growth if you are a good worker
Long hours with confusing management
Amazon Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 19, 2016
Shifts are 10 hours long, 11 during peak, and they certainly feel like it. No music is allowed after the security checkpoint, same with electronics, bags,and non-clear bottles. They hire anyone, there is no interview but it's because they work you until you burn out. After being hired in July with over 30 people only 4 of us are still there. Management is very sporadic with different managers coming and going constantly, and their is a lot of political fighting between them. The pay is good and the benefits are phenomenal but it is because Amazon expects you to quit before you really use them. You are given a set of time off that you spend whenever, and however you like, but the instant you run out you're fired.
Pros
Health benefits, nice break room, free stuff giveaways
Cons
Work environment, inconsistency in management, no music, and favoritism
Productive and fast-paced workplace
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 2, 2017
Amazon is an amazing company to work for - but is better for those 3-5 years in their career. The university programs need more development, and this is not a company that promotes growth for entry-level employees. Management is great for some teams, but definitely needs more comprehensive development for others. Managers need more training in general, for as quickly as new employees are being on-boarded. The atmosphere of many teams are like a start-up culture, and it is a "horizontal" culture, meaning there are no barriers in communication between you and your superiors. Amazon is moving rapidly, with the latest technology on the market. Their competitors are trying to keep up. They are innovative, and it is a great place to leverage yourself and work harder than you've ever worked before. But if you are not ready to put your head down and sacrifice to make your work a large part of your life, this may not be the company for you.
Pros
Stock benefits, perks in the Seattle HQ offices
Cons
Minimal work-life balance
its a job when you need one.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 22, 2016
I have worked at amazon a few time as a temp and once as a blue badge, the system is set up for failure, you never know what your accurate rate is, and the amount you need to make rate changes. you dont get pardoned for lack of work. favoritism, management changes several times a year. the benefits dont compensate for the pay difference. some temps would make 2 dollars more than full time employees. the insurance isnt the greatest, and the hr dept doesnt really seem to have the employees in their best interest.
Pros
3 days off. benefits
Cons
rude people, management changes every few months and have no experience in the job, new managers change a process to help advance their career, the pay isnt enough for the job even with the benefits
great place to work, long hours is the worst
Picker Operator (Current Employee) –  Carteret, NJDecember 11, 2016
Pros
Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.
Cons
You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.
Advice to Management
More on-boarding training before new employees are thrown in the fire. The first couple of weeks can be very confusing on where to find the information you need that pertains to your job.
Not for Everyone
Associate (Former Employee) –  Carteret, NJJanuary 12, 2017
Ok job for warehouse people. NO ROOM for mistake!

No Room for Job growth.

They do not promote experienced leaders, just prefer incompetent people. Favoritism is well present here.

Area Managers never worked in a warehouse before, just graduated college.

This is a Darwinist culture. They do NOT want all associates to be successful.

Area Managers will sign their life away to work for Amazon. Amazon finds a way to get as much as they can out of ALL associates from Stock person to Engineer within two years you are drained then on to the next fool.

Amazon will terminate your employment if you go on leave to take care of your kids!!!
Pros
good benefits!
Cons
very short breaks, barely any room for advancement
Warehouse is not run well but good temporary pay
Stower/Picker (Current Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 5, 2016
Management is all young kids straight out of college. Many managers and regular employees have vendettas or enjoy to impose power over others. The managers will believe anything they hear and won't bother to fact check or give the info a 2nd htought. You will be given performance reviews 1-4x per shift and told to work faster and with no mistakes. The environment isn't good for hearing so use the ear plugs provided. The lowest starting pay is better than average and there are great benefits. Any advancement or skilled labor can fetch more money elsewhere.
Pros
Good benefits, no skill required, easily hired
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Company To Work For
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 15, 2017
It was a tough job. There were very high expectations, but as long as you meet the quota they will keep you. Very focused on safety. Always giving feedback, both positive and negative. Constantly offering rewards for hard work. Pays well. Lots of great benefits. Management was very encouraging and understanding. They were always helping to improve the process and make things easier on the associates. There is a lot of pressure, they are constantly giving feedback, but in the end, it is always to help you become better and was never given in an accusatory way. I really loved this job. Amazon was the best employer I have ever had. I was very sad to be laid off.
Pros
If you do well, you get constant positive feedback. Has a lot of activities for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Positive work environment.
Cons
Parking was a bit of a nightmare, especially during peak.
That place is heartless and they don't have no mercy on people
Stower (Current Employee) –  Middletown DelawareDecember 22, 2016
That place is heartless and very filthy. They sure do have a lot of favoritism. Harassment in a hostile is what they deal with. employers supposed to provide a healthy environment for their staff.
People come to work sick passing on viruses. Amazon.com amcare staff is very nasty. They can't do anything about nothing for anybody sickness, they are there just to give you the ok to go to the hospital.stowing is not easy due to the Dust. Imagine that with people walking around with illnesses passing it on. Is like a party in there every night that place is crazy to work. I got sick twice within 2 weeks.People talking in your face. And management don't care. they only care about rates.
Pros
Provide a healthier environment. and health benefits with free lunch.
Cons
For that hard work you doing there they should provide you with at least an hour of lunch breaks.
Horrible place to work
Outbound Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 30, 2016
There is nothing good about working here.

You are randomly placed in either inbound work or outbound work. You cannot transfer until after 90 days. The work is not rewarding at all, nor is it fun. You get written up for almost anything (lateness, simple errors, not working fast enough, The breaks are way too short. You get treated like you're in prison by having to go through metal detectors and getting wanded. Schedules are terrible, unless you get lucky and get a morning shift. Management treats people like children. It is nearly impossible to get promoted. Policies are very backwards here. It is modern day slavery with an infrastructure like a prison. I don't recommend working here at all. There are much better jobs
Benefits
Cons
No recognition for hard work, easy to get written up, bad management
Order picker
Picker (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INDecember 1, 2016
This job was interesting and if it wasn't for the physical demands of this job had I would probably still be there.
You are on your feet 10 to 12 hours a day 4 to 5 days a week depending on the time of year.
You pick items that customers have ordered on the Amazon website and then it is packed and shipped out.
I got to drive what is called an Order picker it is a lot like a standup forklift only backwards, the forks are behind you and you put a cage on the back and fill the cage with the items that are in an order.
I enjoyed my co-workers I miss them all.
Management I never really saw because I was on night shift.
Hardest part of the job was lifting up to 49 lb items
Most enjoyable part the people I met and worked with.
Pros
the pay and benefits and the bonus pay incentives
Cons
30 min lunches in a 10 hour shift and 2 Nine Minute breaks
They suck, all they care about is Rate,
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, Orange show locationNovember 13, 2016
I enjoyed working there, was fired due to not meeting rate, which I wasn't informed of a rate system being that I never worked in wherehouse before, they should inform new hires of the productivity requirement, which they don't, so they will know what to expect, they make everything sound good at orientation, meanwhile never telling new hires what is expected of them in order to keep your jobs, there more harder on pickers than packers, that company is not fair to all there employees, a lot of favoritism. They are a very unfair company to work for, I couldn't even appeal my termination, they made a mistake and I wasn't employed for 90 full days, so I can't appeal there decision, totally unfair, so I could never work for them again. Wow what an incentive for being fired you guys suck to the fullest.
Benefits
Cons
Treat you like a number, uninformed of productivity requirement when hired, horrible ambassadors who train new hires, no job security if your not a manager, under trained management
Productive place to work great money
Tier 1 Associate (Current Employee) –  Carteret, NJJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work includes going to stand up and knowing our daily goal. You learn something different everyday as their are so many departments. Management is great when you have a concern or a simple question. My co workers are the best part of being an amazon employee they always greet you with a smile and always positive and motivating. The hardest part of the job are the small breaks and the long shifts. I also find it very difficult to spend time with my 3 year old as I get home very exhausted. It's hard to balance life/work lwhen the schedule is 10hour days.
Pros
Excellent pay and healthcare benefits
Cons
Short breaks, exhausting, difficult to manage life and work balance
productive yet stressful environment
TECHNICIAN, INDIRECT/PREVENTATIVE MAINTANANCE (Former Employee) –  Haslet, TXNovember 29, 2016
typical day at work is responding to breakdowns all around the whole building and having to get there in a timely manner

i learned that it can be stressful and to watch your back

management was a joke there.they do not have your back nor do they last very long

my co workers were the best part about my job!meet some awesome people there

the hardest part is having to deal with constant change and getting told several different things from several different managers

again the most enjoyable part was the people i met and the hours i works and 4 on 3 off format. also the bonuses we gather for peak time during amazon peak.
Pros
people, coworkers, bonus, benefits
Cons
people, managers, stressful
Productive and a fun place to work.
Ambassador Trainer (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXDecember 14, 2016
A typical day at amazon was working 10 hours a day in a fast paced environment. I learned a lot from working with amazon. I learned how to be a team leader, how to accomplish my goals,I was an ambassador, I trained people and got along with employees. Management at amazon was a little different. There where experience managers and inexperience managers. We all had to work together to reach our goals, My co-workers and I worked really hard while laughing and joking so that the time would go by.The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job was the benefits, work activities, and having fun with co-workers.
Benefits
Cons
Some heavy lifting
Don't get Comfortable!
Ambassador/Powered Industrial Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJanuary 3, 2017
"A glorified high school masquerading as an employer," is how I view them.

They are a REVOLVING DOOR employer.

If you need a job for a short period of time, this is your place! The benefits are GREAT (ESPECIALLY the health insurance) and the pay....not so much but the benefits (IF used do help to offset the low pay.) Yes, there is something they call VCP (variable compensation pay) but it barely makes a difference and rarely comes into play. Yes, they do give you two shares of stock (IF you're a direct hire) but the odds of you being there two years to actually GET THEM are slim to none.

Politics run the show.

You are a number, not a person.

If you're okay with that, they'll love you.
Pros
Benefits, get to meet a lot of people!
Cons
HIGH Turnover rate, low retention, constant disarray, you're a number and not a human, lack of compassion
Very easy work
Amnesty (Former Employee) –  Essex, MDDecember 21, 2016
There is a lot of favoritism when it comes to working inside
Amazon warehouse. The work is EASY, they make it hard for us. But when the new management came, everything changed. Even quality, performance wise and policy wise. I felt like management was baffling me and telling me anything I wanted to hear just so I can get the job done. Although, their pay/benefits are good I honestly felt like my time there was a waste and I am hurt because I really saw myself growing and perusing and small step into my career.
Pros
Easy work; Paid/Personal/Unpaid time earnings every paycheck, associates
Cons
Not long enough breaks
Productive work place to grow and advance to reach potential goals with friendly co-worker to make the place fun
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 16, 2016
Having to work at amazon was an interesting work environment since there were multiple sections of the building that had different roles and there was always something to do.
Giving the fact that I had a single station to work with, there were days where I was positioned somewhere else making the days that I work non-repeative.
Always something new to learn and grow I would suggest this type of job to new employees that would call this place their first job to understand the quality of productivity. The reason why I recommend this is because over time if they stay there long enough from 1 to 5 years they already have their benefits and advancement of growth an experience.
Pros
Giveaway specials, potlucks, employee Rewards
Cons
30 minute lunch break even on overtime hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amazon.com. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime