Amazon.com Employee Reviews

Found 7,288 reviews matching the search
interesting place to work
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Ruskin, FLMarch 31, 2016
Learned a lot in the IT department, about imaging/ updating and maintaining software. Typica day at work consists of packing product at your station all day. Management can be cold and pushy to meet numbers. Co- workers are friendly for the most part but some are unprofessional, and full of drama. Break rooms get hectic do to too many employees. Yelling and throwing food etc... Hardest part of this job would be standing on my feet for 10 hours and dealing with the many different personalities.
Pros
good benefits and stock options
Cons
short breaks, long hours, unprofessional environment
Overworked and under appreciated
Process Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 1, 2016
You are seen as a number of productivity, and not a person.
I managed to become a Process Assistant(aka Assistant Area Manager). It was a constant struggle to get management to understand that if you weren't salary paid, that hours really matter. People were constantly sent home early in the name of productivity. People would often lose out on hours as a result of that.
I can say, if you were able to get ahold of a Process Assistant position, that you were really likely to become an Area Manager. However if a PA position was filled, there was little room for advancement. I enjoyed the people I supervised. They understood that I was sticking up for them, and they appreciated me trying to take the time to listen to their concerns. It was high school drama with management.
Pros
Comradery
Cons
Management, Ethics
Very rewarding and I learn alot.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCApril 6, 2016
A typical day at work was very busy and I enjoyed the pace. I learned a lot about distribution. I also learned a lot about inventory control and quality assurance. My management team was a great team to work with. I enjoyed working with my coworkers. I met a lot of great people. I also trained employees coming in the facility. The hardest part was probably the long hours. I enjoyed the people. I also enjoyed training new employees. I enjoyed the challenge every day I came in the facility.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Good Job for a short time frame. Nothing else.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Haslet, TXMarch 28, 2016
A job at amazon is good for students but with current Management and HR departments, jobs are extremely fragile and don't expect any type of promotion without a degree in hand despite the time you put in. Most Managers and HR department Personnel are right out of college with no experience and do a very poor job.

The Benefits are well concived.
Pros
Benefits, Co-Workers, Pay more than $11 which makes this a livable wage if you manage your money
Cons
HR Department, Advancements, Management, Steals Ideas, Fire you without warning
Its a great company that understands family needs
Problem Solver (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 16, 2016
I have learned multiple positions. I was able to take time I needed with my son while he had emergency surgery and didn't lose my position at work. You get advancement opportunities weather it is staying with the company or advancing to a career that you love. You are given a rate to which you need to meet which helps keep you productive as well as it is manageable to accomplish. We were allotted time that we can use at our convenience for emergencies or just needing a personal day off without it interfering with our job placement. Management is easy to talk to. You work hard which in my opinion is a benefit.
Pros
Variabe compensation pay, vacation pay, personal pay, and unpaid time
Cons
for me it is the distance I have to travel to get to my job
benefits are good but constant pressure to maintain rate makes this job extremely stressful
Amazon Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 31, 2016
Amazon has great pay and benefits but it is a very physically demanding job, with long hours. There is not a good work/life balance. Management changes constantly, and there are "clichés" within each department. There are some very nice people there but no time to form friendships, The most difficult part of the job is being on your feet for 10 hours.
Pros
paid and unpaid personal time, vacation accrual, good pay
Cons
short breaks, pressure, stressful
Not how- but how many- any way you can
Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Breinigsville, PAFebruary 28, 2016
Work in stow- everyday have to put items in bins which already are almost full, but still expected to make rate. Top shelves of bins have products falling onto floor (sometimes hitting people). Another associate told member of safety team ,was told our building has million items to get stowed so we have to do anything we can to get put away. Evidently safety no very important. No pay raise in 5 years. Managers change deptartment or leave every few months. Sometimes we do not have contact with our given manager for weeks ay a time. we are setup for failure, but management expects success. favoritism-don't get me started.
BENEFITS
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE
Very fun workplace, but hard work/life ratio
Warehouse Associate PH3 Picker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2016
I worked at PHX3, which means nothing if you don't know what that is. Starting pay is amazing, advancement is quite easily acquired if you show them you want it. Amazon truly cares about their employees. During peak seasons they have raffles, DJ's, games, contests, free food. And also great management year 'round. The only thing i disliked about working there, was the amount i time i had off. I admit, he paychecks every week was well worth it, but being a full time student, 55-60 hours a weeks is tough. Night shift is the best at Amazon, in my opinion. I was a picker and walked about 15 miles on a normal 10 hour shift, 5 days a week. Pretty crazy, right? That is also a pro, getting paid to exercise, basically. (:
Pros
holiday pay, benefits, great management, competitive pay
Cons
short breaks, hard to reach production goals
Good job, bad career
Lead Fulfillment Associate & Forklift Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 29, 2016
If you're looking for work and need a job, Amazon Fulfillment Centers are a good place to start. Competitive pay, good benefits, and reasonable hours.
However, Amazon FCs are NOT a place to look for a career. They do not promote from within, they do not reward competent and hard workers, and they do not listen to their employees.
Pros
Benefits, 4 day work week
Cons
Do not reward good workers with management considerations, rampant favoritism, horrible HR team
Stessful enviroment to work in
Picker (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 3, 2016
For a normal day of work in amazon i would walk the mods and pick and that meant doing a lot of walking at least 8 miles a day. I did learn how to use a scan gun and how to solve simple problems on the gun.The management was good and they were all interactive with the employees. The co workers in the warehouse were mostly tired from having to work the long hours. The hardest part of the job was having to walk non stop picking the orders. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing what kind of items customers would purchase.
Pros
Benefits and 401k
Cons
short breaks an long hours in between

Want to know more about Amazon.com?

Ask a question
diverese work environment
Fulfillment associate, ambassador, process guide (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 24, 2016
I have been trained to move in the direction to become an supervisor. with dedication and hard work I became an ambassador( trainer) and a process guide ( supervisor assistant). The shift is 10 hours with great benefits. but as a single mother the long hours can be challenging. I do love the work environment and the diversity. everyone is willing to help and have a cheerful disposition. You will always be greeted with a smile but answered with stern and precise answers. For all new comers it will be hard your first few months getting into the swing of working long hours and using muscles you haven't used in a while or maybe never. There is always room to grow and many things to learn. Besides the people I work with pay help as well..
Pros
great benefits for full time employees.
Cons
breaks, senority doesnt account for advancement.
Too much work for lower orders
Senior Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 18, 2016
I have been working at Amazon.com full-time.think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.

Stack ranking is a horrible practice since it's rife with favoritism. It's also not Amazonian in that it's not data based (arbitrarily designating a certain percentage of employees that must be put on performance management isn't a data driven criterion) and it's not frugal (effectively forcing an individual out of the company in one division who would make the grade in another is either retaining someone who doesn't…
Pros
Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative.
Cons
You have to be self motivated, NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job.
Productive environment, good healthcare
Picker (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, IN 47130April 2, 2016
Typical day on the job included;

Department briefing of production rate
located items within modules by wifi corresponding machines
Meeting Expected units per hour rate while being on the clock
Problem solving system errors when a scan picks up wrong items

I've learned the right ways to properly move merchandise within safety regulations and techniques to make lifting items easier on the body throughout a shift.

The management was always very knowledgeable and friendly

I met new co workers every day I was there and most of them were highly motivated and task oriented.

The hardest part of this job would be the shifts.. I worked 3rds and my shifts were 10 and a half hours long. Over time I found it to be an obstacle to get daily errands done.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and hearing about friends in the facility getting promotions.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short breaks
Not Enjoyable
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Robbinsville, NJApril 6, 2016
I didn't like the job.
it was a slave shop.
a typical was long hours.
there was no real breaks on 30 mins in a 11 hour shift.
management was not supportive
hardest bark of the job was reaching goals.
most enjoyable part of the job was the end of the shift.
benefits
Cons
no job security
working like machines
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2015
10 shift schedules where you do repetitive tasks that are easy to learn. Depending on the amount of work they have, you might have to do mandatory or voluntary overtime going up to 55 to 60 hours a week. If you rates are below their expected rates for the day as a temp, you have coaches from their staffing agencies hounding at you. If your rates are low for the week, you get written up. If you mess up on your task repeatedly, you get written up. After your 4th write up for the same thing, you get fired. After you get converted to Amazon itself, then you get the benefits package and you don't have people hounding you all the time. Most of the coworkers barely passed high school or GED so they tend lack education and judgment. Some of the workers are going to college while working. The management keep feeding you lies, but I guess a lot of companies do that
Pros
plenty of job openings, easy to learn and easy to get in, paid time off
Cons
long hours of work, boring and tiring jobs, dumb coworkers
Always on-the-move
Fulfillment/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 7, 2016
I worked at an Amazon Fulfillment Warehouse and I would definitely recommend this job to those who desire a fast-paced, fair pay, and a team building yet competitive job culture. In this career, I would say the most difficult part for every employee will consist of heavy lifting when receiving merchandise and almost all the time, stowing away each item may be physically overwhelming if not done with its proper safety precautions. However, do not let that frighten you- it only gets easier along the way. Overall, this job is nontheless worth a try! Management & Human Resources are always available and actually take the time to assist each and everyone's concerns.
Pros
Earned giftcards
Cons
Heavy-lifting, Constant Walking
Fun co-workers not so much of a development plan for anyone.
EHS SAFETY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 18, 2016
I was involved a lot with the operations team and associates, no development plan for anyone really. worked in multiple buildings in the so cal region, same everywhere.
work/life balance is not there at all. this is why other employers stress "we dont kill our associates" when they hear you work for amazon.
i have seen managers quit weeks into their employment, and people just walk out on the job without notice.
if you are a student, the accommodation might be there for classes, but depends if they like you and talk to them nice :)
pay is bad. competitive, not so much.
Pros
in-n-out every now and then.
Cons
you go to break and they follow you and time you. not really fair treatment with seniority.
Worst job I ever had
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 6, 2016
The management is constantly being changed. You can trust no one in authority, they offer no opportunity for advancement and only hire in management from those who recently graduated college with no practical experience or personnel skills. They drive their employees to the point of exhaustion.
benefits
Cons
everything
Productive job, long hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chester, VADecember 28, 2015
A typical day at work includes clocking in, grabbing a scanner and starting to count inventory throughout the entire shift. As an ICQA associate, my job was to count inventory, check for damaged items, and fix any defects in the system. My management was extremely helpful, and offered many opportunities to earn advancement within amazon. My co-workers were friendly, although quiet, since our jobs were more set for someone who can independently work throughout their shift at a productive rate. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the time difference, as I was working 12 hour night shifts. I would say the most enjoyable thing about this job was being able to work independently, but at the same time as a team, challenging each other to bring up individual rates.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Job's not hard, dealing with management is
Warehouse worker/forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, TN 37310February 28, 2016
Workers are often rotated to several areas. There is no problem with training, benefits begin the first day and the pay is good. However, speaking up about concerns or criticizing is not received well and seems to impact job security.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, discount, benefits and PTO/vacation accrual begin on first day
Cons
poor management, safety and personal dress code issues are not enforced everywhere