Amazon.com Employee Reviews

Found 7,793 reviews matching the search
Great company, need to be the right person for the job
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 16, 2016
A typical day is a 10 hour shift where management is expected to arrive 1 hour early and leave 1 hour late - in order to prepare for the day and then report on the days results to upper management
I have learned a lot working for Amazon, i have developed my leadership skills tremendously. I have gained experience in developing a team, in performance managing hundreds of direct reports. I have gained knowledge in lean methodologies and performed a multitude of process improvement initiatives.

You have to be a certain type of person to succeed in this role. It is most definitely not a 9-5 type of job. The hours are long and the expectations are high. The payoff is good when you have the right team and are in a department where you can flourish.
Pros
Company reputation, opportunities for advancement, great benefits
Cons
Work/life balance
Great workplace to learn and develop as a professional
Warehouse Associate Tier III (Shift Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 16, 2016
Amazon allows its associates to advance and develop their career opportunities through different programs but the amount of work and mandatory overtime required makes it a very hard and exhausting place to work. The balance between personal and work life becomes difficult to manage due to the amount of hours required to work and the compensation and benefits are not worth it.
Even though Amazon can be a fun place to work with many incentives, fun activities, holiday celebrations and more, the tasks become repetitive and boring after a few months making it difficult for the associates to stay motivated.
Pros
Free lunch on holidays, good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, repetitive tasks. bad management team
Poor Management
Amazon Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Chester, VADecember 1, 2016
I worked at Amazon for a few months, as well as Integrity Staffing. For one, they are very unorganized. They provide very poor training but expect high rates with little errors. I only got trained for 5 hours on my first day and the other half of the shift I worked in the MOD. I got fired for productivity, which was due to poor training. I learned how to perform my job better while I was on my final write up and getting retrained, however it was too late. I asked managers several times to move me so I wouldn't lose my job but nobody seemed to care. I worked there for 2 months and got fired. Managers were very rude to me as well. One manager told me if I didn't speed it up I was going to get terminated. I really didn't enjoy my time at Amazon, I feel like they didn't give me a chance.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
long hours, short breaks, unorganized, poor management
Quality Auditor / Training Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PASeptember 4, 2016
Being a quality auditor for Amazon.com was a great job. Although it was sometimes repetitive warehouse work, I was always rewarded with great wages, challenging situations, and most importantly an unlimited opportunity for advancement. I was also inspired by a CEO that has a devotion for community, family, and the less fortunate. A humble man who wants to see the world improve. That simple idea provided me with motivation. This is a perfect example of a self-made man who started with a small garage operation and turned it into a huge success. The company also excels at the most important part of business, phenomenal customer service.
Pros
Great wages and people, supervision of quality audits helped to ensure the customer's satisfaction, great benefits
Cons
There is a large amount of physical work that can be taxing on the body but is well worth it
Exhausting job that breaks down body and spirit.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 9, 2016
Though Amazon is a growing company, upward mobility only exists for those straight out of college or former military. The pay is well below industry standard at all levels. Management is typically inexperienced and unguided. Though there are many different schedules to work, Amazon is quite rigid with transfers of shifts and departments. Mandatory overtime is commonplace and there are more than six weeks of black out annually, in which vacation time is not allowed to be used. The education program is a joke as you are only allowed to pursue a handful of career paths, all of which amazon only assists to an associates degree which is useless in almost every field. The hours are long, tedious and physically demanding. Injuries are commonplace but the onsite medical staff is extremely rude and uncaring so most people hide injuries and seek out their own medical care.
Pros
Medical benefits are ok
Cons
Long hours, forced overtime, unable to use vacation time more than 6 week of the year
Long hours on your feet with constant work, organized chaos.
Stower (Former Employee) –  Chester, VASeptember 10, 2016
10 hours spent on your feet all day and constantly moving across an incredibly large three level warehouse describes a normal day. Half of my coworkers did not want to be there and their lack of motivation or sense of doing things correctly ultimately made the job far more difficult to accomplish. Management seems only to care about the numbers, nothing else. Since speed of work is everything you better hope you don't run into a problem (there were always problems) since resolving it means you need to walk to a specific station and you also need to hope you aren't 5th in line.
Pros
Very nice health benefits, plenty of room for advancement
Cons
Short notice madatory overtime, long shifts, unrealistic daily goals, poor team attitude
amazon
Process Guide (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 30, 2016
good benefits but not a job to make a career out of, they treat their workers poorly. The management team needs some improvement and the pay is not worth the hours they are asking for.The co workers don't work together as a team and everybody is for their self.To me its a great job to start out from but not a job to stay for years.The only thing that's good about this job is the benefits one of the main reason why i still currently work their but the money doesn't support my family needs.The hardest part about this job is all the changes they make unannounced.,the relationship with the management team
and the empolyees.I do not enjoy this job so i'm currently searching for further employment.
Pros
benifits
Cons
management
They own you, but it can be fun
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCOctober 18, 2016
I worked there for 2 years and took the buyout. They have little events and play games sometimes that are fun but...Never have I been anywhere so micro-managed in my life. If you were breathing wrong, they dinged you for it. They set high rate goals and play favorites heavily. I was a favorite of my manager and got a lot of perks. I tried to work hard, but once they terminated that manager, I was sent back to packing from being a Lead. If you can suck up and don't mind a brown nose, you can make it there no problem. If you want a paycheck and that is it, you can do it. If you want to make a career, keep looking unless you have a MBA.
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
You feel like Bilbo Baggins in Mordor
They suck, all they care about is Rate,
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, Orange show locationNovember 13, 2016
I enjoyed working there, was fired due to not meeting rate, which I wasn't informed of a rate system being that I never worked in wherehouse before, they should inform new hires of the productivity requirement, which they don't, so they will know what to expect, they make everything sound good at orientation, meanwhile never telling new hires what is expected of them in order to keep your jobs, there more harder on pickers than packers, that company is not fair to all there employees, a lot of favoritism. They are a very unfair company to work for, I couldn't even appeal my termination, they made a mistake and I wasn't employed for 90 full days, so I can't appeal there decision, totally unfair, so I could never work for them again. Wow what an incentive for being fired you guys suck to the fullest.
Benefits
Cons
Treat you like a number, uninformed of productivity requirement when hired, horrible ambassadors who train new hires, no job security if your not a manager, under trained management
Great name company lacks in individual sites
Onsite Medical Representative (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCAugust 20, 2016
The particular site I worked at was not adequately staffed since day one. This caused a lot of strain on staff with daily tasks, reports and case load. First site I worked for was great, however the last site was severely lacking in all areas. It depends which site you go to as to the individuals success. This company is very metric driven and does not put the needs or care of the customer or associates working for them ahead of the metrics. Their processes need significant improvement internally. Otherwise it was a great experience at my first site, which is how most of the sites should be run.
Pros
Good benifits, sign on bonus and stock options
Cons
No advancement on medical side of team, LOA and HR departments are not up to par with documentation, Time Management through time tracker is inaccurate and constantly need to be on it
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Picker/Packer/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DESeptember 1, 2016
Awesome managers who listen and work hard to resolve any issues you have.

Positive work environment and feedback from co-workers all the way down to human resource.

Hardest part of my job was adjusting to walking on the cement floors for 10 hours and finding smaller items quickly.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the prizes we won for our efforts and meeting my co-workers.

I learned how to work hard and feel proud to finish a job to completion and that hard work pays off! I also learned great time management skills and how to be attentive to detail.
Pros
Great benefits, bonuses, overtime, prizes
Cons
short breaks, repetitive work, strenuous work.
Could be so much better
A number (Former Employee) –  Don,t No WhereNovember 16, 2016
One of the worst places I ever worked. I hate how they treat their employees like a number, HR is the worst ever!! There is really no structure, rules changes everyday, to many kids. Coworkers are awesome, the managers, ops managers don't have degrees in their positions. Managers have to many favorites. You really have to kiss butt to move anywhere or try to learn new positions. This place is nothing but about NUMBERS....
Could be so much better, if only they cared about their employees.
Pros
Meet nice people, benefits & its a job
Cons
Don't care about the employees, no advancement and management and HR are the worse ever
My Gold Standard for All Future Employers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 28, 2016
I recently quit working with Amazon and had many reasons for leaving. I had a difficult commute which was the primary factor in my departure. During my time there, my leadership team was always vigilant in making things better for our associates and our customers. I have had the opportunity to work with some really great people and the culture and internal advancement opportunity was great. The majority of my managers were really wonderful people that worked hard to support me and help me develop in my career.
Pros
Free lunches, overtime options, benefits, company stock
Hard work and Difficult
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Robbinsville, NJSeptember 9, 2016
Amazon is a difficult place to work. My job was not stable you never new if you were going to have a job then next day. The management was very poor. They would always run out of equipment and you would have to figure out how to do your job with out your tool. Co-workers were very plesant, we would all try to keep a positive attitude and be up beat.
Working at Amazon I learned a lot. I have learned how work threw difficult time in a work environment and how to suck it up and work with whom ever you may have to work with. Long hours and hard work is a lot easier with a positive attitude.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
unfair work conditions
Paid to survive the grind
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 15, 2016
Amazon is a continuous improvement environment. They stand behind their principles, one of which is dealing with ambiguity. With stock prices soaring, the prospect of receiving compensation in the form of stock, as well as competitive wages in management roles the job seems alluring.
All management roles go thru a rotation of departments, times, and days. This is an effort to round out each candidate to help them rise thru the ranks. This can be tough for anyone with smaller children.
The fast paced environment can also lead to meteoric rises for some and wastelands of underdevelopment from others. Conference calls are attended by yes men and eager pleasers who aren't willing to push back on the view from the top.
Pros
Stocks, Good Benefits, Room to advance
Cons
Hard to get development, constant change, work/life imbalance
Modern day slavery, incarceration
Inbound (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 19, 2016
Everything about this place reminds of prison, from the orange vest they make you wear, to the safety line you have to walk in, to the constantly working on your feet. Your not being paid to think just work. Supervisors always on your back, similar to a Corrections Officer. Your hard work gets unnoticed so don't try and give 110%, try 65% instead. Work is extremely easy but boring. It's hard to get fired, you pretty much fire yourself by constantly being late or not showing up for work
Pros
Benefits and benefits only
Cons
Poor management, your just another number, pay
Manual Labor with long Hours
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAOctober 28, 2016
Amazon.com fulfillment Center is an okay place to work. They work you like a dog with working long hours for minimal pay. The benefits of physically working there do not outweigh the costs associated with this type of manual labor. Amazon benefits are good for healthcare, time off, and having an annual picnic. The management always is new and don't necessarily know what they are doing, thats why there is a high turnover rate with management and other employees.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, Time off
Cons
Manual Labor, long hours, on your feet always
Management not nice, lazy workers
Packer (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 23, 2016
There is nothing but drama, drama, drama, backstabbing at this place i mean you have a CEO who is the 3rd richest man in the united states and we work for pennies! Ive been employed almost 5 years and just this week got a 75 cent raise so i make 13.75, but new employees starting are making 11.50 to 12.00 and they just started, does anyone see a problem with that? We have a very big turn over especially MANAGEMENT most of the are kids and dont have a clue! AMAZON cares about its customers, but as far as its employees they dont care how much time we are away from our familes, terrible attendance policy, try to limit our time to go on a BATHROOM BREAK! They claim they do so much for us, we work for everything we are entitled to like our stocks we are given but we have to pay the taxes on them, so basically we are paying for them twice we have to work for them then pay the taxes on them. Our HR department is a joke they are not nice and hateful! You ask a ? And you will get 20 different answers, or i dont know i will have to get back to you ( weeks later)
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Short breaks, management cant trust ANYONE
Only good for students
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 5, 2016
You cannot get full time work. Management seems disorganized. No explanation of what a PA's job actually is so they appear to be doing nothing but staring at computer screens. Same with management. Staring at computer screens. High turnover rate. No promotions, no raises. Option to become ambassador and take on more responsibility without more pay. Training was a joke. Weird clapping and chanting at beginning of shift. All about increasing productivity without any rewards.
Pros
Free food sometimes.
Cons
No raises, no promotions, seemingly clueless and disorganized management
The ability to work independently gives me joy
Associate Order Picker, Amazon Fulfillment (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2016
Amazon is an amazing place to work, it's diverse culture, meeting people from all walks of life is just a blessing.
Management's open door policy, where everyone is there to support you and make your work easy, fair and achievable goals are set. your opinion no matter how small is heard, makes me feel belonged and important.
Priority to safety, amazing healthcare benefits, career choice plan, outstanding maternity/paternity leave, paid personal time off etc.. i could go on and on.
Pros
awesome sompensations
Cons
short lunch break