Ambassador Steel Employee Reviews

eh
Shear Operator (Former Employee), Bourbonnais, ILOctober 14, 2013
i worked there for two and a half years on night shift (830-5 or 7, depending on business). they have been going under a "rebranding" and said nothing would change except the name. however, since this rebranding the benefits have been drastically reduced and management has gone downhill. it will soon be called harris rebar, and i suppose if youre just coming into the place it wouldnt be a bad job. they have a 50 cent shift differential and steady 40 hour weeks. the benefits arent horrible, but if you worked tehre before everything started to change it would be less worth it to stay. i enjoyed what i did, but not who or what i worked for. they used to start out at 11/hr but i am unsure what their base pay is these days.
Productive workplace
Night Foreman/Welder (Current Employee), Newton, IAAugust 7, 2013
My name is Michael D. Walker and I have been in the Rebar Industry
for 25 years and for the last 13 I have been Night Foreman. A typical day is arriving at work at least 30 minutes before my crew to
check on the work that is due, what the day shift accomplished and to start all the machines and open all the doors. Before starting we always have a meeting and a exercise time to reduce injuries. I then – more... delegate duties, train if there is someone new, and also repair and run whatever machines are needed. The end of my shift is communicating with the shop Superintendent and finishing up the nights paperwork . The most enjoyable part of my job is the camaraderie between my employees and myself, with never forgetting our responsibilities. The most important thing I have learned being a Foreman is to remember my employees have feelings and not forgetting to commend them for a job well done. – less
Its a job
Machinist (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 26, 2013
Pros: laid back
Cons: low wage
Good company, laid back environment. Great people to work around, very respective and understandable company. Puts your safety first. Wish they would pay the employees deserving wages that allows them to provide for their families.
Not a happy place to work
Administrative Assisitant (Former Employee), Rochelle, ILSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: nothing
Cons: no raise, got brought out, lost a job
Typical day at work was looking for something to do. This business has it ups and downs.

What I learned was working with trucking companys learning something about rebar. Management was very selective on what they wanted me to know or learned. I wanted to learn more. There were times I went to management to BEG to learn more.

My co-workers we OK. You know the typical stuff. Give your work to other – more... people to do and you get the credit.

You also have to work there for a full year for that year to count. Example start Jan 1st to Dec 31st. You cannot start in March and think it will count for a year service.

The hardest part of the job was going in there at 7am every morning five days a week. But the best part of the job was leaving at 3:30pm.

Worked there all those years and at the end was not given a local job like all the other guys there.They have a drive of 1 hr. Instead was offered to go to another location that the world take me 3 hrs to get to everyday for $3.00 less an hr. with no gas expense. Management.......Oh well just another day at Ambassador Steel.

I often wonder if I was male if I would of been given a job at the Belvidere location. – less
Review
MEP Coil Operator (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 8, 2012
Pros: good team to work with on shift.
Safety is key, even though some days our team needs to get what needs to be done, if safety is unable to be met due to weather, machine operations, etc they the management understands and reassigns to a more safe work area to assist others.
I have learned how to run multiple machines and the respect of working in a field such as this. My co-workers on my shift are a united team, if anyone needs help – more... there is never once a disagreement or complaint.
The hardest part of my job is the weather at times. Only times personally it is difficult is in the 100+ degree weather. Wearing jeans, protective arm wear, hard hat, in front of a machine emitting a good amount of heat itself gets to you. But that is why the company is wonderful in itself, they understand this and encourage short breaks in between orders, as well as produce Gatorade and such for workers to keep hydrated. – less