AMC Theaters Employee Reviews

Found 1,092 reviews matching the search
Great place to work if in school
Film Crew (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29210December 14, 2016
AMC is a great place to start working if you're looking for flexible schedules and hours, but not very competitive pay. It's great for college or high school students looking to make a little extra cash in a fun, upbeat environment. You'll start off minimum wage and every 6 months or so probably get a chance for a raise, but it's near impossible to make a living off of this job unless you're a supervisor or manager--- and even then you'll have to be working full-time or else you won't stand a chance. Management has undergone some budget increases but that only means that supervisors make $10 and hour now and managers make $11. It's a long and treacherous path but if you stick it out until the end you can make it to GM and actually get benefits and salary.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Have to work holidays/weekends
Fun atmosphere little balance
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAJanuary 8, 2017
Working at AMC as a film crew member is an incredible experience that helps to expose you to possible challenges faced at other companies. The days are extremely chill for the most part. There are peak hours and days, but overall rushes usually coincide with the popularity of a new movie. Overall, the work expected from us isn't unfair. The pay and benefits are not exceptional, but it is a part-time job, so much was not expected by me in terms of benefits. They will give you as many hours as they can. With that being said, sometimes you will be scheduled more than you would like. This is a great first time job. I would not recommend for someone who is looking for a long term career.
Pros
Management is understandable and lenient
Cons
Very understaffed so rushes can be overwhelming
fast paced work environment
Film Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 21, 2017
typical day: depends on where you worked that day, concessions, usher, greeter, box office.
what i learned: how to work as a team, work in a fast paced environment, and how to sell the amc stubs card and promotions in concessions.
management: not great, all over the place, not great with communicating with employees, and supervisors.
workplace culture: good
hardest part: keeping up with the rush when we are short staffed, or during an opening weekend of a new movie.
most enjoyable: free movies
Pros
discount on food items in concessions, free movies
Cons
short breaks, short staffed
Fast food job with horrible hours and pay
Theater crew member (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 5, 2016
Management is horrible. I worked at two different AMC's and both had terrible managers and supervisors who couldn't care less about you as a person.Some of the crew members were ok but again management sucks and they will pick favorites. You will get very long dreadful shifts & its min. wage. They'll make you close at 12am, leave at 3am & come back for a shift in the early morning with no remorse. They'll make you become a sales person and make you push their stubs program even though you don't get commission nor get paid enough to deal with that plus dealing with the very rude customers who you have to call "guests" even though the job is basically like working at a fast food restaurant. The amount of work they make you do during closing hours is basically slavery.
Pros
free movie tickets.
Cons
long hours, no benefits, bad management, horrible pay.
Great People Horrible Compensation
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOSeptember 2, 2016
If you're young and/or looking for a part time minimum wage job with no lunch breaks or insurance then AMC is right for you. The managers at my theater have a combined total of almost 80 years of experience in the industry, which makes for an astoundingly amazing management crew. On the other hand, it is difficult to advance due to a lack of available positions and so many other seasoned employees waiting for promotion. It's a great first job for a high school or college student or a part time job for a little extra cash.
Pros
free movies, flexible scheduling, great people
Cons
no lunch breaks, no benefits, minimum wage, open on holidays, no discounts on food off the clock
Great job for first timer workers
Film Crew Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJDecember 31, 2016
I worked at AMC as a "transition" job when my job before that went out of business. AMC is an okay place to work for people whose main concern isn't pay amount, such as teenagers. They paid me just 20 cents above minimum wage, and only scheduled me for a max of 20 hours per week. Benefits are almost non existent. Only fabulous benefit is free movies. They hire a lot of kids, so it's great for teenagers looking to gain work experience. Also has a lot of opportunities to move up if the management believes you're a good fit for the culture. I tried to move up, they didn't think I was a good enough leader. (Their loss, I was a supervisor for almost 3 years before I went to AMC).

They also rarely give breaks to people who are not minors. Non-minors may get at most a 20 minute break if management feels like being generous.

Overall, I would say a very fun place to work. If they paid me just a bit more and let me work more hours and gave me a chance to move up, I'd probably have stayed.

One more thing: Management likes to play favorites. If you want to move up and do well, make them like you. Otherwise, if they don't, you won't go anywhere. Sad but true.
Pros
Free movies, discounted movie snacks during shift, fun place to work, easy to-do work
Cons
No breaks for adults except rarely, low number of hours, low pay, touchy management
Non professional but fun place to work
Film Crew (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2016
Not a steady source of income due to over hireing employees are not gauranteed an equal or steady source of income,
May not get hours every week.
Senority is not observed by this company and long term employees Are reminded by management in writing that they are no better than a new hire!
Otherwise easy work in a very unprofessional atmosphere!
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Short or no breaks as long as six years between raises, an then only to bring up to minimum wage
I stay for the people, not the pay.
Theatre Crew (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 25, 2016
I've met some really great people here. However, bad employees are not held accountable for their actions and the good employees are left to pick up the slack. Certain managers have bad attitudes and treat you like a child. Pay is minimum wage, with little chance for raises. The hours are pretty flexible, but they always overhire and then you don't get enough. Lots of down time to clean. The corporate policies are strict and definitely do not match the changing youth culture.
Overall, I stay for my coworkers.
Pros
employee discount when working, free Stubs card, free movies
Cons
unpaid breaks, minimum wage
Interesting Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 8, 2017
A typical day at work was competitive which left little room for friendly conversation among co-workers. I learned that managers leaned toward a favoritism type of environment for the employees. Management was friendly but tend to gossip with employees about other employees too often. The hardest part of the job was staying positive each day in a negative environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and engaging in teamwork with other like-minded employees such as myself.
Pros
Dicounted food
Cons
Young management
Fun and relaxed workplace, great for part-timers.
Film Crew (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Coworkers provided a friendly and fun work environment while providing guests timely and efficient service, keeping lines short on busy days. Management never hesitated to step in and lend a hand if film crew needed help during a rush. Hard work was often recognized and rewarded with opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Free movie tickets and free popcorn and soda during shifts
Cons
Only part time available, work is not stimulating, limited hours, forced to work holidays with no holiday pay
Exciting and fast-paced
Film Crew (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 23, 2016
Working with this company was really fun. The fact that you were able to interact with guests on a daily basis was amazing. However, supervisors and managers aren't always in your best interest. They often placed untrained or uncooperative people in the wrong station.

Do you excel at selling the AMC Stubs card? Too bad, you're ushering. Do you have among the best guest connections at the theatre? Have fun ushering where you can't speak to guests.

The managers and supervisors seem to be aware of this but they're constantly on a kick where they do not want to take employee skills into consideration. That's a large reason why a lot of the staff don't enjoy working.

Not to even mention that you can only be considered for raises every 6 months when they do performance evaluations.
Pros
Free employee screenings for movies
Cons
Lack of consideration from managers, low pay
Relaxed work environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Management is often "hands off" and you are given a daily task to complete on downtime if you are not out helping guests. Very easy job but no room for raises.
Able to interact and sharpen up my abilities and customer service
Usher/Concessions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2017
i was able to help guests accordingly and understand how to manage with different cultures emotions. Management was handling situations well. i was able to sharpen up on my multi-tasking skills exponentially. meet deadlines with any tasks given help other associates in their areas and learn more on customer service.
Great First Job
Theater Crew (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 23, 2016
I have worked at AMC for two years and recently changed to seasonal for school. Everyone is welcoming and although the weekends can usually be draining, I have found the crew members and management to be very understanding and flexible. Because the movies are extremely busy on weekends , you find yourself staying over your scheduled time and closing can be the worst depending on the day.
Pros
Free tickets, fun environment, nice people
Cons
Hours cut due to corporate office, must be available on weekends & holidays, stub promotions
Depends on your job
Busser (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 22, 2016
Upper management runs the building with little regard for its employees from regular managers down to the standard associates.
Servers make a lot of money but are easily replaced and are treated poorly. Bussers are treated the horribly and there is zero reward for being in the position. Transferring positions is almost impossible within the company, via a job transfers or promotions. We work long hours endlessly, getting a short 20 minute break, if any at all.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
Upper management, No social life, Terrible pay, Extremely high turnover rate
Not sure why it is making me review them 2X
General Manager AMC Newport Centre (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 31, 2017
Change in culture in recent years really soured me on the company. Hard work and loyalty used to mean something, They are growing too quickly without a solid plan of how they are going to execute it on the ground level.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Fun place to work, lots of team effort.
Film Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 16, 2017
I have learned how to work in a large and small group, as well as time management skills that are practiced on a daily basis. The other employees and our supervisors and managers are always willing to lend a helping hand whenever it is needed. We act like a family but also know how to keep it professional. Being so connected really boosts the mood of whoever is working. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to meet while I'm working and being able to talk to them about movies. The hardest part of my job is on busy days when we are short staffed and we are all struggling to keep up with the work.
Pros
Discounts on food while working, free popcorn and fountain drinks while working, free movie tickets for employee plus one.
Cons
Few weekly hours combined with minimum wage pay.
Specific to my location, there was a lot of favoritism
Film Crew (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 12, 2017
I did the job of three different coworkers at a time while they wasted time in backbar. The management was poor, they hid in the office when things went wrong and it would take them twenty minutes sometimes to address a guest concern. They would never answer the phones; before they did away with call-in shifts, it was impossible to call in to see if you were needed. The favoritism between management and employees was out of hand. Employees would be able to work 8 hour shifts without lifting a finger, talking back to managers, and refusing to do jobs that they were hired for, leaving the rest of those to scramble to pick up their slack. The only upside was that it gave me a foundation of retail and food service experience for my resume.
Pros
Starter job
Cons
Everything else
I like the dine-in theater more than the traditional after working at both. Both locations though need to work on management.
Server (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 21, 2016
Overall it's a great company but there's one problem. AMC the billion dollar company who is open basically 365 days of the year even the holidays. I'm pretty sure you guys make millions everyday but have some courtesy when the holidays come around. It would be extremely great if you guys were closed on thanksgiving, and christmas. We have family too and I'm pretty sure no one wants to work those days. It wouldn't make the company go bellyup, so closing on those days wouldn't hurting anyone. You guys are like Pepsi to the beverage industry, you run the game nothing else to prove. All I'm saying is closing on the holidays would be great. I'm pretty sure that's not going to change but at least you guys know how most AMC Employees feel around the holiday time.
Pros
free movies, discount, friendly atmosphere
Cons
management
Best company and good benefits.
Busser/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 8, 2016
Working at AMC theatre was a great experience. Watching free movies on my day offs were awesome. Learning how to be a good runner and busser was so easy. AMC gives great hours and the work is so simple.
Pros
Free movies, good benefits, great tips and great place to work.
Cons
Over crowded and long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMC Theaters. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9