AMD Employee Reviews

Great technology, awesome coworkers, always on the verge of a turnaround, but something is horribly broken at the top.
PEO SMTS (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 3, 2016
Working at the individual contributor level can be a lot of fun at AMD, with almost unlimited options to grow your skills on some of the most interesting, advanced technology in the world. Coworkers are generally smart and capable, and there's plenty of low-hanging fruit for development projects.

Unfortunately, roadmaps and schedules are unrealistic, always assuming new products will be out sooner than possible, with unjustifiable performance, power, and yield targets, and fewer resources required to execute on the plan.
A company that wants to win everyday yet has executional misses
MBA Leadership Development Program (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 21, 2012
I have worked for AMD for 1.5 years now including 2.5 months during internship. From Day 1, I have been excited about being the small player against a Goliath competitor. I respect the company for it's being nice culture, work life balance and constantly changing environment. There is no dearth of opportunity to learn, work on exciting things, given things change a lot here (Org. structure, strategy). The company is nimble and agile, always on it's feet. However, I think being too nice and constant change also has a price and that is evident in it's executional misses.
Overall, I would suggest this place for 1-2 years.
Pros
good campus (austin), culture, work-life balance
Cons
constant changes, executional misses
Excellent work life balance. Company needed to do better job with marketing
Member Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2015
Excellent work life balance. Company needed to do better marketing. Good training with smart technical people. management listened to employees ideas and implemented as needed.
Team oriented workplace because of all the processes involved
Wafer Fab Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin,TXJanuary 26, 2015
Responsible for processing silicon wafers in clean line and oxidation furnaces,recorded completed data into computer spreadsheet and delivered wafers to the next processing area. Shift reports given to oncoming tech about status of current process being conducted. Management available at all times even for individual employees. Weekly meetings held with work groups and management. The hardest part of the job was making sure all processes were correct no flaws. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new processes in different areas and the work weeks 3on-4off/4on-3off.
Pros
Work weeks
Cons
Job security
Mgmt is oblivious, employees are apathetic.
Desktop Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2013
This is the company you go to when you want to do a bunch of nothing and take home a paycheck for all your non-work. The list of things they don't have or do wrong is too long to type out. The company is not poised to take advantage of technology, markets or talent.
Pros
learn what *not* to do at your next job.
Cons
management, benefits and culture
Rain clouds
Design Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2014
A typical day at AMD began with my understanding that it might be my last. After the experience I learned that if a company wants to get rid of you it will find a reason to do so, even if you're a high-performer; worrying is a useless emotion. There are strong managers there, but I only met a small number of them. The good ones have probably already left. Most of my coworkers had families - much more to lose than I did - and this motivated them to work ridiculous hours, reacting to failures like wounded wild animals. What once was a thriving rainforest of growth and innovation is now a boneyard of vultures and hyenas, with the occasional bald-eagle passing through (who they laid off five people to bring in). The hardest part of the job was not quitting prematurely. The most enjoyable part of the job was reminiscing about the time before the company began its downward spiral.
Pros
Some coworkers were sympathetic; an enemy of your enemy is a friend.
Cons
Leadership/management was lacking, and job security was non-existant.
I have been working at AMD full-time (more than a year)
Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COFebruary 24, 2015
ork is challenging, fun, and rewarding! There are a ton of interesting people and a lot of the team members enjoy each others company and it's a pretty good group. Pay is competitive, location is amazing, Importantly, the mid-level management (who the engineers deal with) is VERY flexible with hours, with taking time off, with load balancing in difficult times. I've literally never been overworked. Barring compute limitations, there's not a lot of excessive meetings and red tape to do actual work, the engineering team is pretty efficient.
Great work environment with good opportunities.
Business/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2015
Great work culture with good opportunities. Work/life balance seems to be weighted more towards work though. Job security is ok but tends to be volatile do to the industry.
Can be a great place to work with the right executive management
Sr. Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2013
AMD is a very engineering-driven company and can be a great place to work if senior management is effective, which unfortunately has not been the case in recent years. Currently AMD seems lost and cannot escape its consumer client past. AMD needs help becoming a real enterprise competitor.

The best part of AMD was working along side some really smart people, but there's been a huge brain drain recently.
Pros
generally good for work/life balance
Cons
need to dramatically downsize to stay profitable at current revenue level
Restructuring Itself to Death
Project Manger (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 28, 2015
AMD is a company that is struggling to recover, and it’s doing itself no favors by consistently laying off its employees. The culture has become one of desperation. Whether you’re new, or have been there for years, you never know when you department might be “consolidated” and your position eliminated.

The layoffs are made worse by weeks of anticipation. It’s not infrequent that the CEO will announce layoffs (internally), then allow several weeks to pass for handing down notices. During that interim, things come to a screeching halt as everyone waits to find out whether or not they still have a job. Some departments become ghost towns as layoffs approach and people begin “working” from home.

Departments that exceed quarterly projections are still subject to “restructuring.” Even success is no promise of job security.

Many employees are constantly applying to other, more stable, companies. Nothing is worse than being caught by surprise right before the Holidays.

Over time, all of this has made the culture toxic.

Job Work/Life Balance:
There is no Work/Life Balance at AMD. Employees who want to keep their jobs are forced to live at the office.

Compensation/Benefits:
Salaries are not particularly competitive, benefits are mediocre, and the likelihood of earning a bonus is zero.

Job Security/Advancement:
With the constant restructuring, there is very little job security. Advancement and “promotions” often happen as a result of someone else being laid off.

Management:
Not long ago, poor management and lack of vision nearly sank to company. Things have
  more... improved little since.

Job Culture:
Management likes to tout an AMD culture that doesn’t exist anymore. Employees are constantly competing with each other to keep from being the one who is laid off, and everyone is looking for a way out.
Cons
High Stress, No Job Security, Toxic Culture, Mediocre Benefits
Great environment with plenty of room to make a difference
HR Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2012
I've loved working for AMD since I arrived. It's a company I would recommend to anyone that is qualified for any of their current roles. It's not without it's faults, every company has them but I feel that the benefits far outweigh any negatives.
Pros
onsite cafeteria, lax dresscode, relaxed atmoshere where innovation is encouraged
Cons
job advancement can be hard depending on the business unit you fall in.
This is dead company kept alive
ASIC Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 12, 2016
Unless you are expert in something at PhD level, and you need to work in this company, dont! There are far better venues to build a career.
Productive and fun place to work
Site Admin (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2012
A typical workday is productive in a relaxed environment. Co-workers are sociable and easy going. Management is awesome and work life balance is by far the best.
Pros
work life balance, working from home
Cons
advancement
Good work/life balance but no advancement
System Test/Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2014
Good hard working talented co-workers but very little to no advancement. Constant re-orgs and layoffs.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
no advancement, no raises
In a few words, the worst place to WORK!!
Business Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 21, 2015
I am surprise that company is still in existence. Terrible leadership from C-level to Sr management. The most awful global culture and work environment. As a consequence, and of course, AMD has a really bad product in the market; which is why Intel has more than 80% of the global market.
Pros
NONE
Cons
ALL
Excellent group of associates and very rewarding
AMD-Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 26, 2013
Organize, maintain paper and electronic files; manage projects.
Do basic research, schedule reservations, book travels and meetings,Coordinating office's administrative activities and store, retrieve information. Integrate information for dissemination to staff and clients. Act as proxy, representing him in meetings or communications.
A typical day was more along the lines of being an assistant for a financial analyst. Helpings with gathering sales information and distributing vital information among corporate personele.
Since I was working as an assistant, I hardly had to answer to work with management. I worked closely in relation with Boss and established a very well relationship that proved to work well for us.
The hardest part of the job was proving myself in the financial industry/sales when my background is that of Medicine.
I enjoyed every aspect of the job because it helped me grow and strive to better myself among corporate level employees. I was able to prove to me and my co workers that with hard work and tenacity, I could rise to the occasion if need be.
Pros
Bonus incintives and responsibilities that helped me grow
Cons
long hours quartley
Love the company, but want to transition into Supply Chain
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 1, 2015
I love the company I work for, but I'm interested in pursuing a career in Supply Chain. This company has limited growth opportunity.
Pros
Fun, Great Product and Company.
Cons
Lack of growth, Benefits, Limited Business Positions.
Great people, great potential, but challenging at present
Director, Global Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 6, 2015
AMD offers a fun work environment and a history of innovation and cutting edge products. Some engineering mis-steps caused the company to become unstable in the past few years, but hopefully the expertise in engineering and the strong graphics lineup will reverse this trend soon.

The best part of being at AMD is the people that you work with. I've made some great friends and enjoy the colleagues that I work with every day.
Pros
Challenging work, good compensation, worldwide travel
Cons
matrixed environment, political atmosphere
Traditional Work Environment
Benefit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 1, 2012
A typical day at work involved interacting with peers and fellow employees, or upper management.

Hardest part of the job being confined in an enclosed work space behind locked doors every day with staggered lunch coverage.

Most enjoyable part of the job interacting with employees on an international basis.
Pros
solid benefits
Cons
cut backs
I loved this job!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 11, 2014
Great work-life balance, culture, and management. I had fun here! Hard work at times, but that is to be expected.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8