AMD Employee Reviews

Meh
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2015
It was a good experience, but the team I worked with was terrible. They constantly had me waste the companies time and money because they didn't have work for me to preform.
Great Culture
Senior Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 21, 2015
Great culture; Employees at all levels are well informed about company direction. Lot of incentive to learn, excellent learning and development.
All depends on your department and manager
Freelance Web Designer and Graphics Production (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2015
If you had a great manager and worked in the right department, your work day would be great. Flexibility of hours and working at home were important to me and I had a great manager who understood this and trusted me to get the job done when I said I would.
Pros
work from home, flexibility
Cons
constant change in management
Have enjoyed my time at AMD
Global Information Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 11, 2013
Have enjoyed my time at AMD for the past 20 years. Would like to experience a new fresh engagement and opportunity.
Pros
good benefits
autonomy abounds
WWSales Enablement & Field Equipping Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2014
lots of excellent opportunities to grow and learn, fast paced, management was very transparent and available to everyone in the company regardless of tenure,
very collaborative and innovative
Pros
room to grow
Cons
reduction in force
Good
Software Engineer Co-op (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2012
Great culture and talented super smart people
Learned how to become a successful engineer
Management was the best
Co-workers are awesome
Hard part is to leave the company
I enjoyed every second of it
Well rounded company
Wafer Fabrication Technician in Photolithography (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2013
AMD was a great achievement and experience. I learned a great deal working at this company.
Pros
staff, benefits, culture
How Times Have Changed
Senior Equipment Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2013
AMD was a pretty good place to work, Sadly, like so many other American "Manufacturers," AMD no longer actually makes anything in the US and so this job is really and truly a Dream Job today.

Corporate culture, the people you work with and the conditions all made AMD one of the best workplaces I've encountered from a professional standpoint. Since I left (and since all manufacturing left hot on my heels) no manufacturig positions are available at AMD and so I cannot comment on current potential for employment.
A very goal oriented business to keep up with public demand.
Product Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 22, 2015
Being such a large company the first and second level managers easy to work with, higher management not so much.

The design and building of new products was the best department for me.
Great people, very interesting work, however, the product is experiencing challenges in the market
Director of Pricing, Revenue Management (Current Employee) –  Austin, TxMarch 26, 2015
Great place to work. The people are smart and outgoing. Very interesting projects as AMD competes against some of the largest and most well funded competitors in the market. With that said, the products need to be revolutionary and the current product generation has not resonated with customers as expected. This makes it a bigger challenge to succeed in the market but leads to the very interesting and cerebral work environment in determining next actions.
Pros
Smart and collaborative work environment
Cons
Distant #2 in the market going against large, well funded competitors
Enthusiastic techies but inconsistent leadership
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 30, 2015
Chaotic decision making. Work life balance a challenge. Very young work population. LOTS of conference calls. Not enough time to do the work. Great people.
Competitive pay.
Fabrication Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 15, 2015
Great opportunity for experience in high tech machinery. Prototype product processing required good deal of thinkering and imagination. Resolution power of machine tools was in the angstrom range.
Pros
Good chance for experience in high tech machinery.
Cons
Bad work environment.
Horrible management, survives thanks to CFO wizardry
Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2012
AMD could be so much more. Talented engineers around (although a lot of them are leaving and not getting replaced.) But management is thick, with SEVEN layers of management. I have two directors, two VP's, and everyone who shows up on LinkedIn seems to be a VP of something. We can't even settle on one CTO.
Pros
it's a job with flexible arrangements, if you can avoid the layoffs
Cons
lacking any kind of financial bonuses for the forseeable future
AMD Transitioning
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 2, 2012
AMD is in the middle of a transition from its traditional x86 model to ARM + x86.

Before the transition, the company had put together a strong management chain that valued people. The hours were very flexible and made a lot of commitments to the community (AMD sponsored a few Meals on Wheels routes near the campus). There are great employee discounts for AMD products which are very easy to process.

If the company was doing better financially, AMD would be a great place to work.
Great group, flexible hours
I.C. Mask Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2012
I really enjoyed the people I worked with. My supervisors were always very encouraging, approachable and helpful. The work life balance was very manageable. One of the main reasons I say this is because many worked from home or were at least given the option to be able to do so. In addition, we could work the hours we chose as long as we were in the office between 10AM and 2PM and made our hourly total for the week.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
work was not steady
Research and Devolopment
Platform Power and Performance Sr. Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 7, 2014
a typical day at work:
Optimizing and validating anything consuming power.

What you learned: To extensive to list, suffice to say, a lot.

Management: Immediate Managers are great.

Your Co-Workers: One of the best team I have been on, ever...

The hardest part of the job: Leaving...

The most enjoyable part of the job: Working there.
Pros
team
Cons
leaving
good place to work
Senior Product Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2015
worked for a short time but a good experience.

Company mergers and golas wiere still being defined but quality of people was good
Pros
good location and people
Cons
products challenge for the industry
Energetic team member
Compliance and Auditing
Change Control
Incident Management
Service Management
Pros
supportive management
Cons
no bandwidth within team. not enough staff
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Co-op Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 30, 2014
A typical week at work would be busy Mondays through Thursday with a team lunch on Friday to cheer you up. Work culture is awesome, dress code not very formal. The people are helpful and there is a good teaching culture and sharing of knowledge amongst peers and supervisors.
Pros
gym and location
Cons
less cubical space
Marketing
Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2012
AMD is very unstable to work for as a employer. AMD hires Marketing Professionals and then a year later lays them off since they can't compete against Intel. Not a place where you can have any stability, despite stellar employee performance
Pros
good technology
Cons
marketing management not very professional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8