Amedisys Employee Reviews

Plymouth is a hostile workplaace
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Noth CarolinaFebruary 1, 2016
Patients are wonderful although miles traveled make it difficult to do a good job. Caseload is much too large and 50 hour weeks, including weekends are not unusual. Competent staff except for management who rules with intimidation and humiliation. The hardest part of the job is being treated like a child, working with computers that don't work and being held responsible for doing the work anyway. The wonderful part of the job is knowing that you are enhancing the lives of patients and their families through the dying process. LCSW is required by law but from my experience (only one facility and I hope this is not typical) they really don't want a functioning social worker-just the license. Do not expect respect for what you do.
Pros
patients
Cons
too much travel to do an adequate job
Don't Even Consider Working Here!
Home Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJanuary 31, 2016
Terrible Terrible Terrible Place to work. Administration smiles and makes empty promises of change and improvement...but NEVER delivers. RNs are overworked and the charting takes over your life. It feels like you are working 20 hrs a day. I remember charting until 2am and then having to be on the road starting my day at 8am. I became a shell of my former self. I worked for an AWESOME manager and my team was great....however that was not enough to make this job bearable. Several of our team mates have gone on to different jobs. HIGH turn over...can't keep staff. RUN FAST...RUN HARD...RUN FAR!!!!!
Intense corporate environment
Care Transition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTJanuary 30, 2016
Very busy work day. There is a lot of competition between Home Care Companies and it requires constant maintenance to reap the rewards. Coworkers are not very good team players. The hardest part of the job is communication within the local care center and the corporation. This lack of communication makes it very hard to provide quality service.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Have to pay for company car
Run away ASAP
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Worst job ever. Numbers driven. Have patients all over so you drive forever. Pay per visit. Terrible training. Will have no personal life spend every waking minute charting and not getting paid for it. Horrible managementcwith no support. High turnover rate. Run from this place. On call sucks.
Cons
good
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNJanuary 27, 2016
great place to work, great leadership rewarding job, would work for them again, no complaints with any aspect of my job dont know what else to say
Simply put.....AWFUL
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 26, 2016
If you want a piece of mind, stay away. Numbers driven company that only cares about episodic referrals. Management is HORRIBLE. There is very little diversity and "cream of the crop" employees basically decide what is done on business development side. Beware of this position, it sounds wonderful but if you are not a top producer you will be set up for failure. None of the staff can be trusted. Vice President will put on like they have your best interest but it's all a lie. Only "certain" employees in the business are supported.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Job
For Profit company only interested in meeting financial goals at any cost
director of operations (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 21, 2016
Company extremely driven by financial goals. Encouraged to only take patients that are Medicare or an episodic payer source. Constant micromanaging from regional and corporate leadership to make sure admission/ recertification of patients, thus financial goals are met. Encouraged by constant review by corporate staff of admissions and recertifications of Medicare patients that did not meet CMS criteria. Had to justify to them why a patient was not admitted or not recertified.

Treated staff terribly. Corporate leadership takes frequent "business" trips but staff not given raises. management, includIng directors paid less than field staff and no raises. I would not recommend working here for ethical reasons.

Horrific IT issues. Field staff laptops are falling apart and poor IT support. Recent attempt to correct now means calling IT and speaking to someone outside the US unfamiliar with programs, long wait times.

Very poor orientation and training. Each Agency has to develop their own orientation by using already overworked field staff as preceptors and all training is on the computer. Large amount of training modules to do on hire and annually. No personalized training.
Pros
Cons
As stated in summary
Very rewarding job to help people in need.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJanuary 17, 2016
Generate patient referrals by working closely with Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and referral sources to help them understand the benefit of quality patient care. Everyone has the same goal with this company. They bring comfort, dignity and respect to end-of-life/rehab care.
Pros
It’s a privilege to be there for patients in need for home healthcare
Cons
Its not a 9 to 5 job.
Don't go here
nurse (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 16, 2016
I wish I would have read the reviews before going here. During the interview they make it sound so great. Should have known better. After speaking with other employees and finding out long days and more travel time that you are not paid for I decided its not for me. Paid per patient and overtime is a joke. Your mileage does not start until you get to your first patient home and stops at the last patients home. If you travel 50 miles to your first home you don't get paid for that. You have to take shortest route that may be bad roads and a lot of traffic. They do not guarantee case load. If it is your turn to work on call weekends, patients that are not seen through out the week are passed on to you causing you to have long days plus getting calls to go out during the evenings and nights. If you make 22.00/patient divided by number of hours you work say 9 hours you end up making 2.44 cents per hour.
Pros
Cons
all the above
poor office management
PTA (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, WVJanuary 16, 2016
My time at this location was brief secondary to poor office management that led me to feel the job security was poor. I felt like I was mislead in my interview compared to what was displayed during my employment there.
If you want to work like a dog and drive your car into the ground this job is for you.
home health rn (Former Employee) –  chicago areaJanuary 6, 2016
Poor training. Corporate focused. Poor patient care. Drive and work until you drop. Worked 15 days in a row. Take home hours of paperwork. No life outside of work. Waiting on the phone for tech support with your computer. Blamed for a inefficient and poor system. Driving into dangerous areas. Management don't care how far or where they send you. You can drive for 6-8 hours a day and still maintain a large patient load and gobs of paperwork to do. And the company car is only for those employee's who drive 1000 miles a month. They make sure your first visit and last visits are far so you don't get compensated for your milage. It's all about the company.
Pros
Cons
Work all day and don't get compensated for it. Poor training and management is terrible.
Terrible.
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  WVDecember 23, 2015
Management didn't tell complete truth about anything. Always wanted to tell you the good of the situation but not the bad until you started to ask questions. Really disappointed with lack of proper management.
Pros
Free to do personal tasks throughout day if needed to
Cons
Poor management. Expectations not made clear. No training
VERY MEAN COMPANY TO ITS EMPLOYEES
RN (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 19, 2015
Should not be your main job. Probably a by the way. Generally liked my work mates but the pay was very poor , poor management, high turnover, terrible training. 95% of staff were new. The nurse that trained me was only 8 months old in the company and didn't know most of the stuff. I loved my job though but wasn't just ready to be the sacrificial lamb. Big company making big bucks and mean to its employees.
Pros
Good work mates, bible reading and prayer by chaplain every morning.
Cons
work long hours, didn't want to pay overtime
Excellent and fun!
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Crestview, FLDecember 16, 2015
I very much enjoyed working with my Amedisys team. Everyone was very helpful and enjoyable to be around. I would work for them again!
Horrible
cna (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNDecember 14, 2015
You work your butt off for no recognition, but if you do something wrong, they are right there to let you know about it! Never ever get a pat on the back for a job done well, just get slammed with more work.
advacate for senior services
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 14, 2015
On a daily basis I visit and doctors offices, hospitals, and nursing homes selling healthcare services. These services include Nursing, therapy, psych and aide services. Management is inconsistent and limited, but I do not need necessarily mind. I have been successful in growing and devolping my terrortory by devolping successful relationship. The local care center is great to work with. I like my team, but dislike the leadship style. I love being on the road and developing partnerships in healthcare. I also love being a patient advocate and transitioning patients to home from acute care settings.
Pros
independence
Cons
distant leadership
Wonderful Work Experience
BUSINESS OFFICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VADecember 11, 2015
A typical day was composed of revising schedules and handling all that would come my way. It was a small and quaint office with just 4 ladies who became a family. The entire staff was knowledgeable and loved the clients that they serviced. It was all around a great job.
Run if you want a home life
nursing (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLNovember 30, 2015
I have been working as a nurse for this company for a while now. I love most of the staff I work with. The issue is to many staff turn overs along with micromanaging and the way clinical staff are treated with disrespect. Upper management believe that their home life comes before clinical staff home life. Nursing is expected to work 13 plus days straight without time off plus no raises. I guess it's time to move on.
Pros
Patients and most staff
Cons
Everything else
look elsewhere
nurse case manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 23, 2015
This is by far, the worst job I have ever had. There is no work-life balance. You are over worked during the day just to go home with just as much work to finish. The primary focus is not the patient but making sure "the numbers" look good. Clinicians are expected to manage unrealistic case loads which contributes to the exorbitantly high turnover rate of the staff. You are constantly being asked not to discharge pt's in order to keep the census up, regardless of the fact that there is no need for continued care. This job has given me gastric ulcers due to the high level of stress and anxiety associated with trying to keep up with unrealistic expectations. I won't even start on disorganization of the office. Overall, unless you are willing to eat, sleep and breath your job, I would stay far away from this place.
Pros
decent paycheck
Cons
No work-life balance, high stress, high turnover rate, unrealistic expectations
Great job for workaholics
Nurse (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 15, 2015
The patients are great, but the expectations the company has of the nurses out in the field are unrealistic.

You have NO time to do all that is required of you in an 8 hour work day, so you work your butt off all day then come home to again work all night charting.

While your out seeing patients the office staff is bombarding your email with constant demands which you come home after a long day to address, adding to your work load that evening.

Managers in the office play games with field staff, will not provide proper managerial support to staff in the field and seem dishonest and manipulative. Director is more then aware of these issues but WILL NOT fix the problem. This drives away good nurses.

Absolutely no work-life balance. Your life revolves around your job even when you don't want it to. You need off, you will be given a very hard time and then you'll be told you have to find your own patient coverage --- something the Managers in the office are supposed to do. This happens if you get sick and have to stay home also.
Pros
Patient care
Cons
You have NO LIFE, just work