Ameren Employee Reviews

Negative Work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pawnee, ILMarch 16, 2017
Sadly, it was a great place to be a customer service rep. New management, but in last few years higher management has made the job expectations stifling. Negativity and fear of job loss are the motivators. Reps are encouraged to "rat" on each other rather than support one another in a highly stressful, high call volume environment. Overtime expected almost year around and can be mandated at any time based on their discretion. It is a thankless job. Find another job to build your career.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of management support. Extreme job expectations. No respect for employees.
Management and Human Resource Issues - Good Pay and Benefits
Contract Employee (Current Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 11, 2017
So many good people work for this company (contract and management) but like anywhere else you have bad seeds. This has not been a labor friendly company in my work experience and bad decisions by some management were always protected by layers and layers of management and Human Resources. Trust is an issue at this company.
Very enjoyable place to work.
Utility Man (Former Employee) –  Coffeen, ILMarch 20, 2017
In my position of Utility Man I had many duties. These ranged from lawn care to working inside the coal plant. Towards the end of the internship I was put on a safety team. Our job was to find different safety hazards inside the plant and paint them yellow.
Pros
Got to be outside
Cons
Physically demanding work
Had to walk away
Certified Repairman (Former Employee) –  West Alton, MOOctober 24, 2016
I had a torn rotator cuff injury. Company denied Work-Comp. Forced to use regular insurance and had to sue. Once returned to work as a Certified Repairman I was placed on a 90 pound jack hammer on my first day back. The supervisor (Sioux Plant) didn't care to take my injury into account in assigning me a job. That did it for me. The money wasn't worth it anymore. I left the company and couldn't work due to my shoulder not healing properly for the next five years after I left. There is a saying: Not all money is good money! I chose my health first. You can have it!
Pros
Money was good
Cons
Supervision was generally not so good. Being honest was always best policy, However, some aupervisors took advantage of that
Great Work Environment
Associate Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2017
Very good company with great pay and benefits. Culture is good, with management up to speed on what is going on at the lower level. Management cares about employee safety.
Pros
Great benefits and pay, work/life balance
Cons
None that I know, others may have different openion
Very stressful work place
Advisory Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2017
Great company. But not much training for advancement. No upward mobility. They keep you part time working three days a week for a year or longer. The benefits for part time are really expensive and affordable.
Pros
pay
Cons
benefits and advancement
Excellent compnay to work for.
Project Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO.December 28, 2016
An excellent company to work for. Plenty of work challenges and good work environment. Worked on replacing mechanical equipment during a unit outage.
Pros
Good work for direct hire.
Cons
Not so good work for contract employees.
Easy-going work atmosphere
UTILITY METER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 21, 2017
Work independently to service the gas meters. A typical day at work consists of parking car and walking from house to house painting gas meters
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
Drive your own vehicle, hot weather
Great Place to Work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 15, 2017
Everyone that works there, are very friendly. The atmosphere is very positive. Sometimes there were some days dealing with costumers when they call in about their high bill.
In-bound customer service calls in a call center environment. Nice, clean facility.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day at the Ameren call center is answer in-coming calls and assist customers with their questions and concerns. You may also have clerical duties like sorting and distributing mail, as well as assisting customer via email communication.

I learned that you truly can make a difference in a person's life by providing outstanding customer service. You are the first person that a customer comes in contact with, and therefore you have the opportunity to make a good impression on behalf of the company.

The most enjoyable part about the job is touching people and the most difficult part of the job is wanting to do more to assist the customers, but knowing that you are limited.

The management staff is very supportive and want to see you succeed. They work with you to ensure that you have all the training and resources available to assist the customers.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay, and job stability.
Cons
Long hours, not a lot of flexibility, and repetitive work.
Ameren
Customer Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMarch 20, 2017
I loved working for this company. They were concerned about diversity and their employees, they provided great benefits . I worked well here for 18 years.
Backstabbing management
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Gilman, IL 60938January 20, 2017
Would definitely not recommend working within local operating centers as management. Very untrustworthy and unprofessional.
Thankless job, enough is never enough
CALL CENTER CSR (Former Employee) –  Pawnee, ILSeptember 24, 2016
They work you to the bone and say you should be grateful to have such a good paying job. Thank goodness for the benefits, I needed antidepressants to work there.
Benefits
Cons
Been steady source of income with many oppurtunities
Supervisor of mtce/constr (Current Employee) –  St. Louis metro areaJuly 27, 2016
Good place to work.Oppurtunities for advancement. Very intense and stressful but usually help is available when necessary. Very necessary to stay on top of your duties to meet deadlines.
Pros
Good bosses
Cons
Have to pull a lot of on call duty weeks
Not a good atmosphere to work in
Lineman (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 22, 2016
Not a labor friendly company, management is lack luster unqualified and dishonest, Not a place for someone looking for a career. Very undesirable working conditions and fly by the seat of your pants management styles. Advice keep looking
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Very Professional Environment
Gas Journeyman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 18, 2016
Safety is very important with Ameren, from the head person down to the hourly everyone wants to go home the way they arrived. Co-workers are concerned for the well being of each other.
Good but hard job
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 9, 2016
Ameren was a good company to work for, but was also very physical and time demanding. I was able to advance through apprenticeship program, and make a good living for a high school graduate. Overtime to keep power plants online required a lot of time away from family. Co-workers were excellent, management sometimes very demanding out of necessity.
Pros
Good people, professional.
Cons
Overtime almost every week. Company benefits have been reduced in last several years.
Good job experience
CAD Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 7, 2016
This job was great in the fact that I got to use my drafting skills. I used the program Microstation, which I wasn't extremely familiar with, so now I am fortunate to have gotten the chance to better my skills in that program. It wasn't a hard program to pick up on, but I learn pretty quickly when using the hands on method. I got the experience of working with engineers to make necessary changes to their substation drawings and going back over them to make sure they fit the engineers expectations.
Great work environment and I learned quite a bit
Real Estate Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 29, 2016
I was able to work in all areas of real estate available in my sector. They moved me around quite a bit so that I could experience evertything available.
Pros
Cheap gym membership, great coworkers, great work environment
Cons
N/A
Allowed me to provide for my family.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILFebruary 9, 2016
My work days varied. I learned how to detect gas leaks. I had a good working relationship with my co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job was walking long distances through rough terrain. The most enjoyable part of the job was land navigation and map reading.
Pros
Learning about methane detection.
Cons
No benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameren. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3