Ameren Employee Reviews in United States

Allowed me to provide for my family.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILFebruary 9, 2016
My work days varied. I learned how to detect gas leaks. I had a good working relationship with my co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job was walking long distances through rough terrain. The most enjoyable part of the job was land navigation and map reading.
Pros
Learning about methane detection.
Cons
No benefits.
Good job experience
CAD Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 7, 2016
This job was great in the fact that I got to use my drafting skills. I used the program Microstation, which I wasn't extremely familiar with, so now I am fortunate to have gotten the chance to better my skills in that program. It wasn't a hard program to pick up on, but I learn pretty quickly when using the hands on method. I got the experience of working with engineers to make necessary changes to their substation drawings and going back over them to make sure they fit the engineers expectations.
Securitas has been good to me throughout the years.
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, moJuly 8, 2015
I have grown through Securitas. I have learned a variety of things that will help me advance my career.I have worked for Securitas for almost nine years but I do believe that it is time to move on. The benefits and pay are not all that great and I know for a fact that I will be a wonderful asset for whatever company that I work for. I chose to continue my education so that i would have an oppurtunity at a great job.
Pros
i
Not a good atmosphere to work in
Lineman (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 22, 2016
Not a labor friendly company, management is lack luster unqualified and dishonest, Not a place for someone looking for a career. Very undesirable working conditions and fly by the seat of your pants management styles. Advice keep looking
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Great work environment and I learned quite a bit
Real Estate Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 29, 2016
I was able to work in all areas of real estate available in my sector. They moved me around quite a bit so that I could experience evertything available.
Pros
Cheap gym membership, great coworkers, great work environment
Cons
N/A
great benefits
Senior Records Draftsman (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 16, 2015
It is a good company to work at if willing to manuever office politics. Can be stressful but that can be with any company. Medical and dental benefits are wonderful.
Good paying job, flexible hours
Meter Painter (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 4, 2016
-make your own hours 5 days a week
-pays well above minimum wage
-must be self motivated to get work done
-work by yourself, traveling to different neighborhoods to paint meters
-supplies provided by the company
-harderst part of the job is the awkwardness of walking into peoples yards and unleashed dogs
-most enjoyable part is the pay and creating your own work schedule
Overall great place to work.
Management (Current Employee) –  MissouriNovember 1, 2014
The work day is typically pleasant.

I learn how develop diverse skill sets.

The upper level management is progressive, but this mentality has not trickled down yet.

Co-workers are pleasant to work with, they take pride and accountability in their job duties.

Not being able to do a good job on certain tasks because of inadequate or obsolete tools. Also not being able design the most reliable and efficient system because of financial constraints due to the recent economic crisis (2008-present)

Learning new things and knowing that we provide a product that serves humanity.
Pros
job security, excellent benefits, good people to work with, little stress and good life-work balance. upper-level managers are very progressive and visionaries.
Cons
poor training, not much room for growth and advancement for minority engineers, too much good old boy system practice in spite of denials, engineers are not valued or respected and accountants rule everything, sometimes inadequate or obsolete tools prevent people from doing a good job with certain tasks.
Great co-workers, and great pay!
Customer Care Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 29, 2014
Although the culture of the job has changed over the years, my co-workers still make the workplace enjoyable. However, management is top heavy and completely disconnected from day to day operations.The pay is one of the primary reasons for working here. The compensation and benefits are outstanding!! The ever changing demands of the job are a downside. The demands of the job interferes constantly with family time.
Pros
there is opportunity for career advancement and they do offer tuition reimbursement.
Cons
unneccessary mirco-management can be stressful.
Callaway culture
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOApril 10, 2013
The pay and benefits were great for the area. The co-workers are easy to work with and are willing to help. There are extreme requirements for training and security (nuclear facility).

Management only cares about the "bean count" and not about the employees. They have a great culture, practices, processes and policies on paper, but management consistently violates their own policies and directives with no accountability.

Management has driven many talented engineers to quit or change departments.
Pros
job security and pay
Cons
work environment and treatment of employees.
Upper management has eletist attitude
Journeyman lineman (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 1, 2012
VERY anti union. If you are a trade worker, stay away from ameren. They are trying to take away working conditions and benefits that have been in place for years because they say they are "going broke", yet they reward their upper management with pay raises and bonuses. They want to raid the pension fund, so they are trying to go to a "cash balance", which will be about .30 on the dollar of the traditional defined benefit pension we've had for years. They preach about teamwork and safety all the time, but won't hesitate to throw both to the curb in the name of profits.
Pros
none for new hires
Cons
benefits are being slashed, everything is about $$$
Overall a good place to work
Career Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOFebruary 1, 2016
Ameren has been making strides to improved personnel safety and continuous, reliable service to its customers. Co-workers at the Callaway Energy Center are generally cooperative.
Great benefits
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 31, 2015
Ameren was a great place to work. It offered plenty of oportunities to grow and be engaged in different areas of the utility industry. They not only had an amazing 401K and profit sharing package, their insurance is the best I ever had.
Pros
benefits, oportunity for growth
Cons
poorly place managers
Work Day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 3, 2015
Friendly and family based environment. Numbers speak for themselves. The hardest part of the job is staying to yourself and out of work relations, and the best part of the job is completeing the work day.
great job
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Decatur, IlJuly 4, 2012
The day consist of being on the phone dealing with customer requests. The pay is great with constant pay increases. There are lots of opportunities for advancement. Being on the phones the reps are micromanaged due to the strict rules of customer service in the utility industry. The culture is great and the people are better.
Cons
micromanagement
A solid summer employment opportunity.
Meter Painter (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILJuly 25, 2012
I worked at Ameren for a summer before heading back to college.I received the job through the Manpower Employment Company.Due to the fact that it was just a summer job,there was no compensation/benefits package nor was there an opportunity for advancement.So the lack of ratings in those two categories in no way reflect negatively toward the company.Everything about the job was first class.The employees were always helpful and courteous,and really made working there easy and managable due to the inviting work environment.
Pros
good work environment.
Cons
not a permanent employment opportunity.
Focused on bottom line results
Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 17, 2015
Great employees, dedicated to getting the job done. Innovative and willing to explore new ideas and ways of doing things,
Leading S&P 500 utility, great vision and leadership
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 13, 2015
The company has been proactive in a challenging and diverse energy setting that has developed nationally. Great company, great people working at the company.
Good company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 10, 2015
Handling customer concerns with billing and provided services. Learned how the business aspect and the electric and gas services the company provides are delivered to the customer. A very female dominate location in Peoria. Very mentally exhausting with the constant high call volume and lack of support
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Politics
Highly regulated work environment.
Nuclear Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOAugust 11, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of maintaining deadlines, schedules, surveillance's and working with an amazing intelligent group of individuals who appreciated what I offered to our group. I was often referred to as the boss because of the knowledge I had for procedures, processes, regulations and records. The hardest part of my job was Nuclear Regulatory Commission Audits and the most enjoyable part of the job was the exceptional people that I worked for.

4.4