Ameresco Employee Reviews

Great people, but Tempe office lacks direction
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 12, 2015
Working for Ameresco ( APS Energy ) was a learning experience. The company has some of the most talented individuals working for them. Ameresco is big on going green and does their best to lead by example. As an employee, you can definitely learn a lot, especially if you are interested in solar lighting. The downside to working for this company is that the Tempe office has a high turnover rate due to their employees being constantly overwhelmed, leaving you to fend for yourself when it comes to training and learning the ropes. The marketing/ proposal manager is extremely clickish. and If you do not show interest in office gossip or personal business, she will never make time to help you with your projects. Overall, the upper management is out of touch and lack detail orientation.
Pros
Great coworkers & office environment
Cons
No room for growth, No employee training, employees are overwhelmed, unorganized management
Family atmosphere, positive work environment
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 23, 2015
I worked in a shipping & receiving warehouse for 1.5 years. Learned a lot of warehouse functions. Great pay and bonus structure.
Pros
Pay, Flexibility, Benefits
Not client focused,
Sr. Energy Engineer, xChange Point Systems (Current Employee) –  Edgewater Park, NJApril 13, 2015
Overall it is not a bad place to work. THe xChange Point side has issues with management and needs to be more client focused. Lost a several major clients over the past year and can not decide what to do to correct the issues. Laying off or restructuring is not a method to change.
Summer Associate
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 21, 2015
- Work was interesting and I was given a lot of responsibility
- Wide range of tasks that were all quite interesting
- Work culture/office environment was absolutely top notch.
Don't waste your time
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 12, 2015
The Spokane branch of this company is very poorly managed. If you enjoy being micromanaged and ignored at the same time, then this is the place for you!
Rewarding Job/ Feeling of Ownership
Plant Specialist (Current Employee) –  Castaic, CAJanuary 26, 2015
I've been employed with Ameresco for nearly 5 years as an operator/ maintainer for a landfill gas to energy power plant. I'm one of two operators that run this facility and find my job to be very rewarding and innovative.
A typical day entails performing rounds to ensure integrity of operating equipment, performing preventative maintenance, ordering parts and scheduling projected power output. I also perform oil, belt and filter changes on all operating equipments and schedule plant shutdowns to perform maintenance activities.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
location
Really good company culture
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Co-workers are amazing and form a family. The culture at work is absolutely a positive experience and makes you want to go to work that much more.
Pros
company culture
Cons
pay
Great people to work for.
Gas Engine Power Plant Speacialist (Current Employee) –  Sullivan INJuly 3, 2014
I send out daily status and production reports.
Complete a walk down of the engine plan checking all systems and structures.
Complete any occurring work orders.
Great people; less than thrilling work
Engineering Assistant in project management (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 8, 2014
Small office with great people, but nature of work was often dull and methodical (95% individual computer work). Compensation was adequate, but not great (for internship and part-time work).
High pressure
Boiler Technician (Current Employee) –  Quantico Marine Base, Quantico, VAOctober 16, 2013
At Ameresco I work on the boilers that provide the heat and hot water to almost all of the building at Quantico Marine Base. Along with the preventative maintenance I do on a daily basis I enjoy the challenges I get such as; tearing down a boiler for state inspection. There is also a great deal of pressure to make sure no small detail goes unnoticed as it could have serious consequence.
Human capital is at the bottom of the list
Senior Accountant/Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 4, 2013
Dysfunctional corporate headquarters, local office had quality employees, we had fun events; however corporate had a stranglehold on our office, started limiting our office of what we could do and not do
Pros
satellite offices
Cons
technologically inferior
High Productivity
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 4, 2013
During a typical day at work I manage the design, development, budgets, and construction of Power Plants and Energy Performance Contracts throughout the Southeast United States. Over the years I have learned to balance the needs of the Client while maintaining a positive budget, working with various subcontractors across all disciplines, negotiating multi-million dollar projects, and conducting presentations to large groups of Federal, State, and Private decision makers. Daily I work with engineers, architects, scientists, accountants, and lawyers. The hardest part of my job is traveling, where I am away from my family for extended periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with so many people and working with a team to complete a project.
Pros
every aspect of the job
Cons
extensive travel
Great culture, but lacking mentorship
Commissioning Specialist (Current Employee) –  WAMay 14, 2013
I enjoy all of my coworkers, and admire them professionally. The benefits are adequate, but not great and pay is on par with other companies. Satisfaction factor is high working green collar job and being able to quantify energy savings.
Pros
bright minds, good pay, gratifying work
Cons
no clear advancement paths, no mentorship, regional offices detached from corporate office.
Professional atmosphere, quiet, brand new company at the time.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 15, 2012
Typically, I had 50-75 invoices to enter each day, as well as handling purchase order requests as they came in.
This energy management company was growing while I was there, acquisitions were the main goal, corporate atmosphere. Also handled full cycle A/P, ie cutting checks, mailing, filing, and manual check requests as they came in.
Learned about energy management contracts, it was quite interesting how the company was one of the first to be all about alternative energy sources, such as turning methane gas into power.
Also worked with Citizen's energy Company, now a part of Ameresco-aka "Joe Kennedy's Company". My co workers in Citizens were the best!
Pros
new a/p systems such as scanner, other new ways to approve invoices.
Cons
unwilling at the time to grow the infrastructure for the new acquisitions
Exciting industry with cutting edge technologies
Senior Project Developer/Energy Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 3, 2012
Developed many creative energy saving projects.
Used Mechanical and Energy related experience to develop projects, scopes and specifications.

Comment – December 2, 2012

Question: Why are you a (former) employee? Why did you leave?