Ameresco Employee Reviews

Dead end job....No future
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Wrightstown, NJAugust 25, 2016
They will promise you great work condition which you will learn in a few weeks you made a mistake.Leadership is poor and equipment you work on is dirty and unsafe.Always looking over your back.Will be on call with no on call pay and your phone will ring alot at night.Very high turnover rate.Raises are small and employees not happy.Terrible health benefits and very unsafe work conditions. BEWARE!!!
Pros
Management Clueless
Cons
Late night calls no pay...Stuck on military base.Cold wet winters.Poor health benifits
Administrative
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PAMarch 14, 2016
Great Company to work for, I had the best manager on earth. Technicians were also great to work for. Benefit plan isn't to great.
Ameresco is extremely bad.
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAFebruary 21, 2016
Worked for Ameresco for three plus years. In that time, received no training that was required to perform work required for power plant operations, as an example level 15 control codes are required to conduct emissions testing accomplished weekly. That being said the school will not be provided as they have multiple excuses as to why it cannot be given to the operators and in this portion the managers will set the emissions when and if they show up to your plant and the training will not be provided. The equipment used for this is also unreliable and they will not purchase the equipment needed to do the job correctly due to the price of this equipment.

The purchasing department is terrible with paying bills on time and I saw invoices not paid for as long as the inception date of the plant I worked at and Nixon Power who provided our parts put the company on credit hold at least ten times, and when I left the company last week, they were still on credit hold for failure to pay.

There is no lack of discernable support by the upper chain of command from the managers to the directors position regardless of who holds that position and both have been replaced since I started in three years, and nothing has improved in that aspect either.

If the equipment malfunctions there is no support, as an example the phone lines are required to run the plant so that if an IDLH problem occurs, dominion power can shut the plant down from the substation. Since I had access to the data, the plant had over 400 total days of down time and lost revenue but the problem still existed since
  more... the day I left and had never been corrected by the upper chain of command mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Ameresco does not care about the employees or engage them in anyway helpful to the employee. This being said the example that is easiest to give you is four days vacation in almost four years. The first I was recalled two days after having surgery and the doctors excuse was not recognized, the second time was also recalled after two days as the operator who was to watch the plant while I was on vacation could not accomplish that and my vacation had to be cut short and I had to return to the plant.

Safety is as far from their minds as you could possibly get it. As an example there are two oil tanks, one for waste oil and one for new oil, these have been installed with no spill containment to keep anything from spilling onto bare ground. To this date, they have still not corrected the problems with either of these or the spill containment areas around all three transformers.

If you do not mind having no life due to this company being unwilling to fix the problems that they are more aware of than any upper chain of management should be and receive no help to fix these problems until after you leave then by all means go to work for them and enjoy the overtime due to this lack of help. Do not expect it to change even if you beg in any type of manner either electronic, telephonic, or face to face.

If you want the opinion of those who worked for this company previously all you have to do is google Ameresco legal issues and the many, many, many pages will help you make the decisions you need where this company is associated for employment.
Pros
read below lines.
Cons
read below lines.
No Future-Governed by Stock Prices and Revenues Only
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2015
Ameresco in Chicago is a group that needs to figure out what they want to be when they grow up. Management does not care about their employees and does not engage with them.
Cons
Short sited
Cutting Edge Industry
N/A (Current Employee) –  N/AAugust 20, 2015
Ameresco employees some of the brightest and most dedicated individuals in the industry. The compensation is on par with the competition and company endeavors to pursue innovative projects in the industry.

There isn't a lot of red tape which makes it easier to get things done.
Pros
Industry, Management
Cons
Every department is very lean
Great people, but Tempe office lacks direction
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 12, 2015
Working for Ameresco ( APS Energy ) was a learning experience. The company has some of the most talented individuals working for them. Ameresco is big on going green and does their best to lead by example. As an employee, you can definitely learn a lot, especially if you are interested in solar lighting. The downside to working for this company is that the Tempe office has a high turnover rate due to their employees being constantly overwhelmed, leaving you to fend for yourself when it comes to training and learning the ropes. The marketing/ proposal manager is extremely clickish. and If you do not show interest in office gossip or personal business, she will never make time to help you with your projects. Overall, the upper management is out of touch and lack detail orientation.
Pros
Great coworkers & office environment
Cons
No room for growth, No employee training, employees are overwhelmed, unorganized management
Family atmosphere, positive work environment
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 23, 2015
I worked in a shipping & receiving warehouse for 1.5 years. Learned a lot of warehouse functions. Great pay and bonus structure.
Pros
Pay, Flexibility, Benefits
Not client focused,
Sr. Energy Engineer, xChange Point Systems (Current Employee) –  Edgewater Park, NJApril 13, 2015
Overall it is not a bad place to work. THe xChange Point side has issues with management and needs to be more client focused. Lost a several major clients over the past year and can not decide what to do to correct the issues. Laying off or restructuring is not a method to change.
Summer Associate
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 21, 2015
- Work was interesting and I was given a lot of responsibility
- Wide range of tasks that were all quite interesting
- Work culture/office environment was absolutely top notch.
Don't waste your time
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 12, 2015
The Spokane branch of this company is very poorly managed. If you enjoy being micromanaged and ignored at the same time, then this is the place for you!
Rewarding Job/ Feeling of Ownership
Plant Specialist (Current Employee) –  Castaic, CAJanuary 26, 2015
I've been employed with Ameresco for nearly 5 years as an operator/ maintainer for a landfill gas to energy power plant. I'm one of two operators that run this facility and find my job to be very rewarding and innovative.
A typical day entails performing rounds to ensure integrity of operating equipment, performing preventative maintenance, ordering parts and scheduling projected power output. I also perform oil, belt and filter changes on all operating equipments and schedule plant shutdowns to perform maintenance activities.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Really good company culture
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Co-workers are amazing and form a family. The culture at work is absolutely a positive experience and makes you want to go to work that much more.
Pros
Company Culture
Cons
Pay
Great people to work for.
Gas Engine Power Plant Speacialist (Current Employee) –  Sullivan INJuly 3, 2014
I send out daily status and production reports.
Complete a walk down of the engine plan checking all systems and structures.
Complete any occurring work orders.
Great people; less than thrilling work
Engineering Assistant in project management (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 8, 2014
Small office with great people, but nature of work was often dull and methodical (95% individual computer work). Compensation was adequate, but not great (for internship and part-time work).
High pressure
Boiler Technician (Current Employee) –  Quantico Marine Base, Quantico, VAOctober 16, 2013
At Ameresco I work on the boilers that provide the heat and hot water to almost all of the building at Quantico Marine Base. Along with the preventative maintenance I do on a daily basis I enjoy the challenges I get such as; tearing down a boiler for state inspection. There is also a great deal of pressure to make sure no small detail goes unnoticed as it could have serious consequence.
Human capital is at the bottom of the list
Senior Accountant/Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 4, 2013
Dysfunctional corporate headquarters, local office had quality employees, we had fun events; however corporate had a stranglehold on our office, started limiting our office of what we could do and not do
Pros
Satellite offices
Cons
Technologically inferior
High Productivity
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 4, 2013
During a typical day at work I manage the design, development, budgets, and construction of Power Plants and Energy Performance Contracts throughout the Southeast United States. Over the years I have learned to balance the needs of the Client while maintaining a positive budget, working with various subcontractors across all disciplines, negotiating multi-million dollar projects, and conducting presentations to large groups of Federal, State, and Private decision makers. Daily I work with engineers, architects, scientists, accountants, and lawyers. The hardest part of my job is traveling, where I am away from my family for extended periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with so many people and working with a team to complete a project.
Pros
Every aspect of the job
Cons
Extensive Travel
Great culture, but lacking mentorship
Commissioning Specialist (Current Employee) –  WAMay 14, 2013
I enjoy all of my coworkers, and admire them professionally. The benefits are adequate, but not great and pay is on par with other companies. Satisfaction factor is high working green collar job and being able to quantify energy savings.
Pros
Bright minds, good pay, gratifying work
Cons
No clear advancement paths, no mentorship, regional offices detached from corporate office.
Professional atmosphere, quiet, brand new company at the time.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 15, 2012
Typically, I had 50-75 invoices to enter each day, as well as handling purchase order requests as they came in.
This energy management company was growing while I was there, acquisitions were the main goal, corporate atmosphere. Also handled full cycle A/P, ie cutting checks, mailing, filing, and manual check requests as they came in.
Learned about energy management contracts, it was quite interesting how the company was one of the first to be all about alternative energy sources, such as turning methane gas into power.
Also worked with Citizen's energy Company, now a part of Ameresco-aka "Joe Kennedy's Company". My co workers in Citizens were the best!
Pros
new a/p systems such as scanner, other new ways to approve invoices.
Cons
unwilling at the time to grow the infrastructure for the new acquisitions
Exciting industry with cutting edge technologies
Senior Project Developer/Energy Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 3, 2012
Developed many creative energy saving projects.
Used Mechanical and Energy related experience to develop projects, scopes and specifications.