America First Credit Union Employee Reviews

busy sometimes fun place to work that was just mehh
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roy, UTDecember 6, 2017
There were great people that worked here and there were terrible people. A lot of my co-workers were fun energetic people who made the day go by quick and made going to work fun everyday and then there were just a few people in management that were inconsiderate rude people. One in particular who would pick on individuals and decide that they just did not like that person after little to no interaction. I did not understand why. I had a very rough morning and I was very ill I went to their office and asked if it would be okay if I went home and she said " I don't think you need to go home because you aren't really sick you should stay here and do your job." I couldn't stay so I told her that I will be going home and I would see her the next day I was exhausted and crying. She said. "Maybe"
I had enough of her this was the last interaction I had with her. I went in the next day and quit..
Pros
next to none
Cons
Management is ridiculous
Hard work
Collection agent (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTNovember 28, 2017
making out bound and in bound calls. helping members pay bills and discuss payment plans. I learned working well with others, working with many computer programs that once. management was really hard to work with didn't care much about their employees. Didn't have room for growth. I loved working with people and helping them.
Teller
Credit Union Teller (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UT 84119November 13, 2017
Best Company to work for! You get to learn a lot about finances and help others with theirs. If you work hard it is easy to get raises and go up levels.
Pros
Snacks on Friday
Cons
Scary Members
good place to work
Call Center Representative, Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTNovember 12, 2017
i enjoyed working at afcu. lots of opportunities to move up depending on willingness to improve self. some of the expectations were unrealistic (number of accounts to open, loan numbers)
fast learning and busy
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 10, 2017
It's a great company to work with if you are looking for leadership experience. The job was the most enjoyable part because you will get to meet with meet with different types of members
Fun, Relaxed work environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTNovember 9, 2017
Great place to work. Fun and easy as long as you have good member service. Most transactions are easy and you do them enough that you can get fast at them. Pretty lax on what you can do during down time. Internet access was pretty good except no social media. Depending on the manager phone use was ok if no members were present. Pay was pretty low. Hard to advance if you don't live in Salt Lake with lots of branches to move around to.
RECEPTIONIST/TELLER (Current Employee) –  St. George, UTOctober 29, 2017
They are more than a boss, they're a leader, and a friend. They really want you to succeed as an employee and as a person whether or not it is within the credit union.
afcu
Consumer Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTOctober 26, 2017
great job, low pay you could easily go to a competitor and get paid almost double your salary. The company itself has good morals, very family oriented.
Pros
the people are absolute awesome, good benefits. family oriented company
Cons
low pay
teller/loan officer
Consumer Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTOctober 25, 2017
I was a teller for a little bit then I moved to a receptionist. then I went to a loan officer. I was able to learn a lot about loans and how to best take care of the member with what they needed.
Pros
Easy to grow
Cons
micro managed
Depends on what department you are in and who your boss is.
Senior Product Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roy, UTOctober 23, 2017
I have been in a couple of positions at America First and I loved my first boss and and strongly disliked my second. HR tries to create a good environment but it really depends on who is over you. Most people appear pretty happy.
Pros
secure job
Cons
could get stuck with a poor manager
Amazing Company
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Roy, UTJuly 28, 2017
America First Credit Union was an amazing company to work for! I have nothing bad to say, they treat their employees like they are family and I think that that is how an Employer should treat an employee.
Fantastic Place to Work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Roy, UTJuly 23, 2017
I absolutely loved my time as a teller for AFCU and only wish I could have become a full-time teller. I enjoyed the work environment, the gentle pace, the organization of the branches and management, and overall their care for employees. This is a career place and they will help you grow to fill the role you would like to fit in.
Pros
Easy work, good pay, great benefits for full time
Cons
High standard for goals
Great Company
Teller (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTJuly 20, 2017
I would have stayed with this company longer but I got a good offer from another company that I no longer work for. I was part time so no benefits. Management was great and if you worked hard they would do everything they can to help you move up in the company. I ended leaving before I could advance though. My wife still works there and has moved up quite easily. Starting pay is a little less than average for a banking job but she has had quite a few raises since starting. So if you work hard you are rewarded. They also give good bonus's.
Pros
Hours, management, cheap health insurance.
Cons
They treat outages pretty seriously, but you probably knew that.
Definite pros and cons
Teller (Current Employee) –  Sugar House, UTJuly 15, 2017
There's definitely pros/cons to this company. Compensation is lower than banks and other CUs in many cases. Loan officers can make great money if they're good at what they do (they get performance based raises regularly not commision) Tellers cannot get commission. It DEFINITELY depends which branch you go to with what your experience will be. If you work at the downtown Metro branch it will be super busy, high turnover, and a lot ghetto/homeless people and fraud, same with many west valley and south salt Lake. Compared to if you work at the Foothill branch or South Jordan branch. I would definitely do my research because some branches suck some are awesome. Honestly, I would go where you want to apply and go to. Teller and ask for change. Then ask them how busy the branch is, if they like it, if they get a lot of weirdos, if it's a lot of sales. You might think, I'm too lazy but seriously some branches are amazing and some suck. First raise is at around 4 mo, usually .30-.80. They start tellers at $10. If you speak Spanish SOMETIMES $10.50. The BEST part about working here is even if you're slow to learn you will NOT be fired if you don't cross sell enough or whatever, like you might at a bank, and if you put in a few months- 1- 2 years you can be a supervisor or in a department. It's not the best pay out there but it's GREAT for if you're in school or want experience in the field.
Pros
Pto, Paid holidays, upward mobility, great for school schedules, good for experience in the field
Cons
Slightly lower pay than some other companies, no commission, sales
Job for college kids with no bills
Teller (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2017
Sales are a big priority for AFCU. They push sales a ridiculous amount. Management has a lot of favoritism. Not enough training. The raises you get are hardly raises and you will not be making enough money to live a stable life. Benefits are pretty bad. Ive seen better benefits at smaller companies. But for what you pay, its not that bad. They hire favorites into positions they should not be in.
Pros
Free Tickets to sports games often, Friendly co-workers
Cons
Sales are pushed way too much, No overtime, Not a lot of advancement with favoritism coming first, Benefits aren't very good, Trainings are long but don't help very much, Weekly staff meeting for branches, Stressful enviroment, No personal life with the banking hours, No schedule flexibility
Great Place
Teller (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, UTJuly 7, 2017
Its a super great place to work. Offers Great benefits, PTO. Great opportunities to get involved with the community. Great incentives. Great people to work with.
Pros
benefits, incentives, giveaways, pto and sick leave
Cons
really low pay
Great company to work for.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTJune 29, 2017
This company was the best company I've worked for, they care about their employees.  Supervisors and managers are so comprehensive and want to see you rise within the company. The people that I worked with were so nice and helpful. I had a great experience working with them!
productive
Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake, UTJune 18, 2017
Interactions everyday. Having to deal with rude members and racists. (my supervisor wouldn't defend me)
Help deposit checks or cash them. Wire transfers domestic or international.
Professional
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 15, 2017
I love everything except the starting pay. However, there are frequent raises so that helps. Benefits are second to none and the schedule flexibility is amazing, especially for college!
Pros
Everything but the pay
Cons
Pay
Wonderful company, horrible management
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTApril 27, 2017
I loved working with the members and the other tellers on the line, but I felt like the management took advantage of me being the only part time employee who wouldn't work into overtime. Overall though, it was a very wonderful job that was enjoyable most of the time.