America First Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Sounds great, bad experience
Teller (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 19, 2016
I worked at the west valley branch for 6 months, the management was terrible they played favorites and treated all the new people like we were all replacable and didnt matter. Every new teller that was hired while i was there quit. When i went through training i was excited about the company because they had such a great culture and standards, but that is lost between the higher ups and entry level tellers, its no surprise that this company has such a high turn over rate. Do yourself a favor and avoid conducting business and working at this branch.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Terrible management
Okay place to work if you find a good branch and don't need a ton of pay
Teller/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake County, UTFebruary 3, 2016
Sometimes the wrong people are promoted here, and that can make work extremely stressful. Also, while there may be nice benefits here, AFCU is the lowest paying credit union in the state of Utah, with the worst hours of any credit union. The branches work different hours, so while some are closed on Saturday, or others close early at 3:00, some are open until 7:00 on Saturday, which makes it hard to have a life outside of work to be able to spend time with your family.
Pros
Pension, 401k, Sundays off
Cons
Bad hours, low pay
fun learning enviornment,
assistant manager, loan officer (Former Employee) –  dans grocery store branchSeptember 28, 2015
I loved working for AFCU. I was treated kindly, and with respect.
I was able to move up the career ranks fairly quickly with a lot of hard work. America First is very supportive of helping you move up to any position you would like and be a great match for. I started as a teller. moved to loan typist, then receptionist, lead teller. I went thru the training and became a loan officer. I went thru the management training 1 and 2 and worked as an assistant manager/ lead teller in a grocery store branch. I loved that job. In 1 day I could be a teller or or new accounts, loan officer or lead teller or manager because they left early since we were open late. I filed monthly reports. ordered cash for the branch. Made the schedule. And helped with any overrides. America first gives all of their employees a bonus every 6 months, they give yu free movie tickets, or a food voucher if they notice you went out of you way to help someone,
Pros
Loved being able to fill so many rolls in a day
Cons
extrememly busy, whish i could of found a way to make the line go faster
Great work environment
Teller (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTJuly 15, 2015
-shifts are normally 10 hours
-Management is very professional and very friendly, they value their employees
-co-workers depends on which branch your in but overall they are good, diligent, determined people, we work hard and play hard
-hardest part dealing with some upset members and memorizing all the products
-there is A LOT of progression in the company, they really want you to grow in the company
Pros
great benefits
Cons
schedule is difficult sometimes
A stable, core-value-focused company that cares about treating people right
HRIS Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTMay 24, 2016
America First Credit Union sticks to their core values, and strives to help others do the same--even when difficult situations arise. Due to its not-for-profit status as a credit union, pay is not as competitive in all positions. However, schedules are generally very flexible, and the company is willing to work with you to do what's in both the employee's and the company's best interests.

The culture is based on solid values, and is great as a whole. There may be separate departments/branches that struggle with some aspects but the base is there. There are also ample opportunities for side-to-side movement within the company, with those going into management as normally being long-term employees.

Overall, America First cares about their employees, and teaches them to treat other employees and its members in an equally caring manner.
Pros
Good benefits (company pays a large portion of the overall cost), great employee events, enjoyable culture, lots of internal opportunities
Cons
Management can be slow to change, some areas of the company do not share in the overall culture, manager progression normally occurs with long-term employees exclusively
Great company with great values
Teller (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 10, 2016
AFCU really focuses on providing the best service and financial needs for members. Everyone is like family, but I wish they would compensate their employees more. I learned how to better manage my money, and how to build my credit in the most effective way. The best part of the job was interacting with different members daily and exceeding their expectations with exceptional customer service.
this place has its ups and downs
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTApril 10, 2016
some of the people were great to work with but managers were not so great to work for in the department I was in. the business itself could be ran a little better and the pay could have been better for all the hard work that was put in.
Pros
free food
Cons
management was not so great
There is always potential to learn more and move up at America First Credit Union. My co-workers have made it and enjoyable experience for me.
Lead Teller (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 2, 2015
The potential to learn and move up with great people to work with has made this an enjoyable job. If you are looking for the best pay in the industry probably no the company to work for. They offer decent benefits though and the company is very stable.
Great people
Quality Assurance/Compliance/Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Roy, UTJune 9, 2016
Great people, however pay is low. Pension and benefits are good. High turn-over which puts a lot of pressure on current staff.
Fun workplace with many promotions and giveaways
Teller Level 4 (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 9, 2016
Loved being able to help members with their financial situations. We had to stay up to date with loan status' to be of best service to the members. Loved my co-workers, we felt like a real team.

Want to know more about America First Credit Union?

Ask a question
Member Services (Current Employee) –  Roy, UTAugust 6, 2015
Employee Friendly place, great benefits. Decent pay. Room for advancement within the company. If you are looking for a great call center job apply here.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTAugust 27, 2015
Great Company, they want you to succeed and have your goals in mind. They will push you to learn and advance, they are continually growing and aim to hire first within the credit union. Advancement is encouraged and the pace is up to you on how you want to succeed,
Pros
Great Benafits, Scheduling works great even with a school schedule
Good people, good environment
Lead Teller (Current Employee) –  North Ogden, UTMarch 11, 2016
Working with the credit union members and my coworkers was great. America First care about their employees and helps them to move up and succeed.
Good people
Marketing IBM Unica Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJuly 15, 2015
Great people to work with. Easy to take time off. Close to home. Only issue I have is the compensation is very low compared to the industry standard.
Cons
Senior Management too good for us low people.
Impossible to move ahead
Teller (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake CityJune 18, 2013
You have to be here for a very long time before you can move forward. Once people are in leadership positions, they don't move, which means you will be stuck at the bottom until someone inevitably moves to Wells for a pay raise. Management keeps you here by telling you you are on the edge of getting a promotion, but they never advance you or teach you more. The plus side? I get paid to do homework all day and it is borderline impossible to get fired. People can text all day and never do their job and nobody cares. Try another credit union or bank if you want to actually have a career.
Pros
get paid to do nothing
Cons
you do nothing all day, no opportunity for advancement
Productive & Challenging work environment
Collector (Current Employee) –  Roy, UTSeptember 29, 2015
The management is very supportive and you continually have something to do. Every day you learn something new. The people are great and always willing to help. Overall it is a great company to work for.
Level 4 Teller (Current Employee) –  UtahAugust 7, 2015
Terrible place.... management was terrible and all the people that you get to talk to treat you just awful. My boss refused to advance me, because I didn't volunteer for a parade. She looks down on her employees from the bridge of her nose. And then all the members you deal with throughout the day are just rude.
Professional, but fun working environment
Teller (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 29, 2015
I enjoy my job quite a bit. When I get to work I set up and we open the branch. Throughout the day I help members with various transactions. Problem solving skills are a big part of this job. At the end of the day we balance and do closing duties. I make it seem easy, but there are different aspects of this job such as completing online courses to become more informed of policies and procedures, going to trainings at the training center, cross selling products and services, planning promotions, assigned teller duties such as cleaning the branch or ordering supplies, and doing one-on-ones with supervisors to set goals and go over our development. They try to move you up as quick as possible based on how comfortable you feel with taking on more responsibility. They are very interactive with their employees and really adhere to your needs. Very flexible with school or other work schedules. I haven't once wanted to leave this job. Their core values along with mission statement make me feel obligated to this company. I've never had that feeling with any other employer. The members love coming in and feel like it's a welcoming family type environment.
Pros
Great health/dental benefits, positive work environment, promotions with drawing for tickets to something or extra cash on your paycheck, and flexible work schedule
A Good Company to Work for
Membership Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 17, 2016
America First Credit Union is a good company to work for. The company takes care of both its employees and its members. I've learned much about prepping, scanning, indexing, and quality checking documents as well as serving both the Credit Union's members and employees. I think the management is good and the employees are great. Yes, people do occasionally make mistakes, but the people that work for America First Credit Union really do their best to serve the members well.

For the most part my co-workers are great though I would like it better if I didn't have to hear co-workers using foul language with other employees without a thought of whether or not those around them want to hear that kind of language at all. Oh, my co-workers don't swear when they're on the phone with members, but when they are taking on the phone with other employees or office co-workers some do and have no thought for how that language offends other people. I don't want to take away others free speech, but it would be nice if they were going to use such language that they wouldn't say it loud enough for every one to hear, especially when they're on the clock.

I think the hardest part of working for America First Credit Union is that they require you to set new goals every six months. Setting goals for improvement is great, but when you've worked for a company for a while in the same position figuring out brand new goals to work on can be a tough challenge.

The most enjoyable part of working for the Credit Union is that good work is appreciated and at appropriate times it is rewarded. Also
  more... for the most part the people are great to work with too. The benefits are good, though it would be nice if insurance didn't have to keep rising. And the company parties are great fun.  less
Pros
Benefits, Parties, Incentives, Chances for Advancement
Cons
Sometimes internal promotions are not available to ALL of the employees to take advantage of
Successful Financial Institution
Certified Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahJune 7, 2013
America First is a very nice environment to work in and can be very pleasant and engaging. Management and supervisors are usually very intelligent and knowledgeable about Policies and Procedures. Benefits and pay is a little bit of a downer as they pay a lower hourly wage than most Financial Institutions and have no incentive plans. They do, however, pay for PTO and Sick leave and have health benefits and 401k options. Also moving up in the company is very very competitive, political and unevenly evaluated.

America First Credit Union Reviews by Location