America First Credit Union Employee Reviews

It's great if you don't want to make a lot of money
Teller (Former Employee) –  UtahFebruary 15, 2017
OK place to work. America First is like a bank in disguise. The pay is awful and room for advancement is hard. They have way too many trainings to take that most of the time you can't finish due to running transactions. If you just got out of high school and need a decent job to get you experience, this is the right place for you.
Pros
Nice Co-workers
Cons
Bad pay, terrible hours, no room for advancement unless you take a lot of time. And if you do, your pay will still suck.
All about the members-- not so much about the employees
Teller (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 10, 2017
The benefits are great, the pay is not. Can be very fast paced. They claim that it is easy to move up fast in the company, and I guess you can, but not as easily as the management leads on.
Learn, Grow, move up, have fun
Branch Receptionist/Teller (Former Employee) –  Clinton, UTFebruary 3, 2017
Everyone here is on the same team. Even on the stressful days, everyone has the other's back.
there's always room for advancement there, and they give you every chance to move up.
Pros
great opportunities, potential advancement
Cons
they could pay a little more
Fun job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Clinton, UTFebruary 1, 2017
A fun job. The pay was not great. I could not afford to finish school and support a family. I loved the people I worked with and for an entry level job it was great.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Low Pay
A workplace filled with tons of advancement and fun
Teller (Former Employee) –  Holladay, UTJanuary 24, 2017
I learned how to use their programs specifically made for tellers and loan officers. The day would start with opening the credit union. One person would in first to make sure the building was safe and set the "all clear" letting everyone else know it was safe to proceed. We would count down the vault and audit anything that was marked for it. Everything would get set up for opening and members would start lining up.
Pros
Hour lunches, friendly staff and members, different day-to-day situations, plenty of room for advance
Cons
low pay
Duties and workplace
Funder (Former Employee) –  Roy, UTNovember 26, 2016
I had to talk to the members of the credit union, and with auto dealerships to help them to transaction, loans, answering questions, making sure they are transferred to the correct person, work lots with computers, and multitasking with working and talking on the phone with members/ dealers.
the people that I worked with, became good friends of mine. we were able to work hard and still have fun while doing our work
Pros
great hours, and worked great with school
enjoyable
Teller (Former Employee) –  Kearns, UTNovember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working here while I completed school. They were very flexible and a great bunch of people. My only issue is the salary. I feel like if you want to go far in banking this is the place to work.
Pros
fun
Cons
low hourly wage
Good place to work long term
Teller (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 13, 2016
This was the best job I have had. Opportunities to advance and stay with the company long term is always open to all employees.The atmosphere and environment at work was always enjoyable.
Great Place to Work
Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 16, 2016
America First is a great place to work, has great advancement opportunities and wonderful benefits.
I really enjoyed the training and one on one's for future growth.
Best job for anyone to have
Backup Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTOctober 14, 2016
I cannot tell you how many times people have told me how lucky I am to have the experience of working at a Credit Union. I learn confidentiality, cash handling, problem solving, team building, organization, leadership skills, and so much more!!
Pros
Benefits, career/job skills, taken care of by company VERY well.
Cons
Long hours, some branches require Saturday shifts
Great Co workers but management is horrible
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 6, 2016
I worked for America first for a year and a half, they treated me horrible. They put you in positions before training you and expect you to do well, and put you in corrective action very quickly if you do not. The pay is much lower then other financial institutions and they justifie it by saying "we offer benefits" like they are the only company that does.

The require extensive cross sells but do not give encetivies, well that's not true you'll get one or to slurpees a year for cross selling auto loans and visas.
Pros
Works around school schedules
Cons
Has a massive revolving door
always busy
Seniority Teller/ Loan officer/ Teller (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 14, 2016
My typical day at work would be to clock in and get my drawer out of our locker make sure to cash balance before opening up the store, and then make sure get all the websites up on the computer so it is easier to get to once opened. We were always busy as a bank you always had people in the lines whether it is for something really simple or really complicated, it really just all depends who comes to your window.
Pros
gift cards, bonuses, and time off
Cons
short breaks
Teamwork
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Bountiful, UTJuly 10, 2016
I love working at America First Credit Union because we are always striving as employees to remember our mission statement which is. " Our members come first"
Pros
Semi Annual Bonus
Cons
Meet Goals.
A Good Company to Work for
Membership Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 17, 2016
America First Credit Union is a good company to work for. The company takes care of both its employees and its members. I've learned much about prepping, scanning, indexing, and quality checking documents as well as serving both the Credit Union's members and employees. I think the management is good and the employees are great. Yes, people do occasionally make mistakes, but the people that work for America First Credit Union really do their best to serve the members well.

For the most part my co-workers are great though I would like it better if I didn't have to hear co-workers using foul language with other employees without a thought of whether or not those around them want to hear that kind of language at all. Oh, my co-workers don't swear when they're on the phone with members, but when they are taking on the phone with other employees or office co-workers some do and have no thought for how that language offends other people. I don't want to take away others free speech, but it would be nice if they were going to use such language that they wouldn't say it loud enough for every one to hear, especially when they're on the clock.

I think the hardest part of working for America First Credit Union is that they require you to set new goals every six months. Setting goals for improvement is great, but when you've worked for a company for a while in the same position figuring out brand new goals to work on can be a tough challenge.

The most enjoyable part of working for the Credit Union is that good work is appreciated and at appropriate times it is rewarded. Also
  more... for the most part the people are great to work with too. The benefits are good, though it would be nice if insurance didn't have to keep rising. And the company parties are great fun.  less
Pros
Benefits, Parties, Incentives, Chances for Advancement
Cons
Sometimes internal promotions are not available to ALL of the employees to take advantage of
Great people
Quality Assurance/Compliance/Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Roy, UTJune 9, 2016
Great people, however pay is low. Pension and benefits are good. High turn-over which puts a lot of pressure on current staff.
A stable, core-value-focused company that cares about treating people right
HRIS Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTMay 24, 2016
America First Credit Union sticks to their core values, and strives to help others do the same--even when difficult situations arise. Due to its not-for-profit status as a credit union, pay is not as competitive in all positions. However, schedules are generally very flexible, and the company is willing to work with you to do what's in both the employee's and the company's best interests.

The culture is based on solid values, and is great as a whole. There may be separate departments/branches that struggle with some aspects but the base is there. There are also ample opportunities for side-to-side movement within the company, with those going into management as normally being long-term employees.

Overall, America First cares about their employees, and teaches them to treat other employees and its members in an equally caring manner.
Pros
Good benefits (company pays a large portion of the overall cost), great employee events, enjoyable culture, lots of internal opportunities
Cons
Management can be slow to change, some areas of the company do not share in the overall culture, manager progression normally occurs with long-term employees exclusively
Great company with great values
Teller (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 10, 2016
AFCU really focuses on providing the best service and financial needs for members. Everyone is like family, but I wish they would compensate their employees more. I learned how to better manage my money, and how to build my credit in the most effective way. The best part of the job was interacting with different members daily and exceeding their expectations with exceptional customer service.
this place has its ups and downs
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTApril 10, 2016
some of the people were great to work with but managers were not so great to work for in the department I was in. the business itself could be ran a little better and the pay could have been better for all the hard work that was put in.
Pros
free food
Cons
management was not so great
Fun workplace with many promotions and giveaways
Teller Level 4 (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 9, 2016
Loved being able to help members with their financial situations. We had to stay up to date with loan status' to be of best service to the members. Loved my co-workers, we felt like a real team.
Good people, good environment
Lead Teller (Current Employee) –  North Ogden, UTMarch 11, 2016
Working with the credit union members and my coworkers was great. America First care about their employees and helps them to move up and succeed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at America First Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

America First Credit Union Reviews by Location