America Works

America Works Employee Reviews

what not to like.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2015
Had to work hard and stay on task . all ways a lot going on.
Had the chance to do a lot of different jobs with in the company.
I liked that they would help learn something new if asked or showed interest in something.
Great job, Great environment, and Horrible leadership
General Labor Worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYApril 4, 2015
Pros: Constant Work
Cons: False Promises of Future Employment
move, repair, and adjust office equipment for a company that was taking over a prior companies office space. all while trying to determine which key belongs to which door.
Comfortable work setting.
Corporate Representative for Veterans (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 1, 2015
Clients are great, nice location and great co-workers. A typical work day is very busy and a lot is expected from this position. This position is not for everyone, it is fast paced, and detail oriented.
Tough place to advance
Recruiter/ Account Manager (Current Employee), Far Rockaway, NYJanuary 26, 2015
Social Service Community
9-5 off on weekends
I learned about social services in NY
Coworkers go with the flow
Hardest part of the job is the lack of structure
Helping people find work work is the most enjoyable

Different job duties than what I signed up for.
America Works works for the people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 11, 2014
I interned here and for the brief time i was there i felt like i belonged in an office.
America Doesn't work
My title change more I can remember (Former Employee), Queens, NYMarch 2, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: no contract
This company is simply a total lie. They will promise you a lot of things; however, when the time comes to receive benefits or PTO, the company will say not yet. I also don't want to forget, there is no Human Resource.

You will work without contract and nothing is on paper. They going to move you around and change your title/job duties faster than the weather.

There is no management, and even there are management as to their "title" they absolutely don't know what employees are going through.

The only good thing about this company are the co-workers, they are well educated, nice, sympathetic, and we really help each another to get through the day faster.
Productive work place
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 3, 2013
Very challenging, but being able to help people achieve a level of self sufficiency is very rewarding. Co-workers are helpful and management is very informative.
Competitive position that promotes from within.
W-2 Program assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 21, 2013
Pros: i get to work with different walks of life.
Cons: it is only a temporary job.
A typical day at the job would be building resumes, helping out with mock interviews. What I've learned is the skills and ability to handle large volumes of customers and crowd control. i also learned to be proficient in Microsoft Suite.My co-workers are very helpful in giving me very through training.
Horrible CEO and Founder
Receptionist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 18, 2013
Pros: half-day before a holiday, hardworking and over-qualified colleagues
Cons: check full review
Do not work here because:

- High bureaucracy & politics
- Management do not care at all for their employees
- Ungrateful Management
- No HR (no offer letter when I started, I just knew my salary during my first day, low pay and there is no Christmas bonus)
- Holiday work days are crazy (you have to work day after Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year)
- No HOLIDAY leave during the Christmas season
- You are clueless of your accrued days of leave because there is no system on how you earn it
- And the list goes on....
Productive working environment
Pre-Employment Specialist (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 23, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the faces of those individuals who are thankful and greatful for helping them gain employment .

June 25, 2013

The pre employment specialist at this location are detached from reality. They are very prejudice and talk badly about the people who come there for help.

productive, interesting, energetic people
Receptionist, Summer Intern (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: fun workplace
great place to work, no problems, always a good environment
Good team players
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 18, 2012
Pros: found employment fast.
Cons: temp agency
I enjoyed working for this company. The staff was friendly and very helpful.
Madhouse
Trainer (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: leaving on time; able to interview at other places because site director was never there
Cons: insanely high turnover rate; everyone leaves roughly 1-4 months after being hired
A typical day at work consists of the participants complaining; site director giving inaccurate information to staff and participants, site director lying on government paperwork so she could keep her contract; dirty restrooms; womens' used sanitary napkins on the floor; rude participants; co-workers looking for jobs elsewhere; high turnover

What I learned was to trust my first instincts when you walk onto a job site. I should have. I knew it was a disaster; do not "settle" for a position

Management is a joke, especially when your degree is from a low rate, online university

Co-workers are intelligent, funny people. They kept me entertained and motivated at the place

Hardest pert of the job was working for an idiotic site director

Most enjoyable part of the job was walking out at 5PM every day.

Overall, I would not recommed this place to anyone. Every one of my coworkers is looking for employment elsewhere. Even the PM of the DC office is looking (dont let her fool you). Everyone has degrees and experience that trump the director. She is rude and says some of the most politically incorrect non-sense on the planet. Read the other reviews on this site, they are correct. I know two of the reviewers and they are excellent employees. They are proud that I left and are looking to leave as soon as it is possible.

RUN FAR FAR AWAY
Review
Administrative Assistant/Youth Advocate (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2012
wish i could of stayed full time so i can cliam up the latter computer is the key to this job get alot done faster
Not fun
Client Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 13, 2012
There was too much drama going on in the company that affected the way everyone worked.

About America Works

The mission of the Center is to work with industry partners to promote quality standards; provide expanded training and certification – Read more

America Works Salaries