America Works

America Works Employer Reviews

America Doesn't work
My title change more I can remember (Former Employee), Queens, NYMarch 2, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: no contract
This company is simply a total lie. They will promise you a lot of things; however, when the time comes to receive benefits or PTO, the company will say not yet. I also don't want to forget, there is no Human Resource.

You will work without contract and nothing is on paper. They going to move you around and change your title/job duties faster than – more... the weather.

There is no management, and even there are management as to their "title" they absolutely don't know what employees are going through.

The only good thing about this company are the co-workers, they are well educated, nice, sympathetic, and we really help each another to get through the day faster. – less
Productive work place
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 3, 2013
Very challenging, but being able to help people achieve a level of self sufficiency is very rewarding. Co-workers are helpful and management is very informative.
Competitive position that promotes from within.
W-2 Program assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 21, 2013
Pros: i get to work with different walks of life.
Cons: it is only a temporary job.
A typical day at the job would be building resumes, helping out with mock interviews. What I've learned is the skills and ability to handle large volumes of customers and crowd control. i also learned to be proficient in Microsoft Suite.My co-workers are very helpful in giving me very through training.
Horrible CEO and Founder
Receptionist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 18, 2013
Pros: half-day before a holiday, hardworking and over-qualified colleagues
Cons: check full review
Do not work here because:

- High bureaucracy & politics
- Management do not care at all for their employees
- Ungrateful Management
- No HR (no offer letter when I started, I just knew my salary during my first day, low pay and there is no Christmas bonus)
- Holiday work days are crazy (you have to work day after Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas – more... & New Year)
- No HOLIDAY leave during the Christmas season
- You are clueless of your accrued days of leave because there is no system on how you earn it
- And the list goes on.... – less
Productive working environment
Pre-Employment Specialist (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 23, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the faces of those individuals who are thankful and greatful for helping them gain employment .

June 25, 2013

The pre employment specialist at this location are detached from reality. They are very prejudice and talk badly about the people who come there for help.

productive, interesting, energetic people
Receptionist, Summer Intern (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: fun workplace
great place to work, no problems, always a good environment
Good team players
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 18, 2012
Pros: found employment fast.
Cons: temp agency
I enjoyed working for this company. The staff was friendly and very helpful.
Madhouse
Trainer (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: leaving on time; able to interview at other places because site director was never there
Cons: insanely high turnover rate; everyone leaves roughly 1-4 months after being hired
A typical day at work consists of the participants complaining; site director giving inaccurate information to staff and participants, site director lying on government paperwork so she could keep her contract; dirty restrooms; womens' used sanitary napkins on the floor; rude participants; co-workers looking for jobs elsewhere; high turnover

What I – more... learned was to trust my first instincts when you walk onto a job site. I should have. I knew it was a disaster; do not "settle" for a position

Management is a joke, especially when your degree is from a low rate, online university

Co-workers are intelligent, funny people. They kept me entertained and motivated at the place

Hardest pert of the job was working for an idiotic site director

Most enjoyable part of the job was walking out at 5PM every day.

Overall, I would not recommed this place to anyone. Every one of my coworkers is looking for employment elsewhere. Even the PM of the DC office is looking (dont let her fool you). Everyone has degrees and experience that trump the director. She is rude and says some of the most politically incorrect non-sense on the planet. Read the other reviews on this site, they are correct. I know two of the reviewers and they are excellent employees. They are proud that I left and are looking to leave as soon as it is possible.

RUN FAR FAR AWAY – less
Review
Administrative Assistant/Youth Advocate (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2012
wish i could of stayed full time so i can cliam up the latter computer is the key to this job get alot done faster
Not fun
Client Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 13, 2012
There was too much drama going on in the company that affected the way everyone worked.
Low Pay, No Training, No HR Dept.
CPT (Former Employee), CPTJuly 28, 2012
Pros: no pros- no, seriously...there are none.
Cons: no training, low pay, horrible/incompetant supervisor
Before joining this company, I read many of the reviews. They wee mostly negative. I thought that perhaps the reviews were produced by overly-disgruntled employees. However, after working here I know that what they complained of is very true. There is a lot of cronyism within the offices nationwide. The CEO is truly the worst CEO of any American company. – more... There is no room for growth or even the idea of advancement unless you are hired into that position. Even the higher level people use this place as a stepping stone. I would only recommend coming to this "establishment" for employment if you really just need the paycheck; however, you should continue to job search as I did. I needed this position for specific experiences.

This job requires knowledge of local/state gov't systems of which the company gives you no formal training. Do not be suprised if your supervisor (who only oversees a few people) does not know your name.

Many of my co-workers are/were disgruntled. Turnover is very high. I have calculated that the turnover in my office (within 1 year) is/was over 60%. That is horrific.

There is no HR dept. Your boss is your manager, HR rep., payroll coordinator, amongst other things.

Be prepared to be SERIOUSLY low-balled. You will do a double take when they mention the amount. – less

About America Works

The mission of the Center is to work with industry partners to promote quality standards; provide expanded training and certification – Read more